Blackpool Airshow 2013

Re: Blackpool Airshow 2013

Postby Stu666 on Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:31 pm

Had a brilliant day out in Blackpool with my lad. Parked at the airport as per ericbee123's instructions and was pleasantly impressed with the views across the airfield. Couldn't have timed our arrival better, for no sooner had we pulled up and jumped out of the car, when a Typhoon took off before our very eyes! What can I say, I don't think an introduction to the loud pointy things for a four-year-old gets much better than that! :yahoo:

Used the tram to get to the central pier, which had everything we needed, rides, toys, food and toilets. It did get a little packed as you can imagine, but that didn't stop us getting to the centre and front of the pier, right on the barrier. Quite possibly the best view of the airshow in the whole of Blackpool! :cool:

The show itself I thought was very impressive, more so considering it is totally free. So glad my boy got to see the Vulcan, he loved the Typhoon and Red Arrows as well. Great to see the Reds had a stand nearby, and the pilot present was very happy to sign a poster and pose for a photo with the boy. Made his day, I can tell you.

Would have dearly liked to stay for some tea at the hangar bar, unfortunately they don't serve food. Can't win 'em all I suppose.

Once again ericbee123, thanks for the excellent advice and for helping make it a day to remember for both of us. :up:
Stu666

Postby Jonathan_ed on Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:40 pm

Sounds like you had a great day too then. Glad your lad enjoyed it, i remember going to barton air show with my dad when i was a youngster, good memeories!

I was on central pier too squished against the railings on the end, and as you said, for a free airshow, was pretty damn good. You might get some poeple saying "oh well compared to XYZ airshow it was pants", but like you say, for a free day, bloody good line up!
:up:
Jonathan_ed

Postby eddywinch82 on Tue 13 Aug 2013, 9:34 pm

As I said before I really enjoyed the show, I was beaming after that low pass by the BBMF
on the final flyby over the end of central pier on Sunday as people have said for a free show
that was superb lineup ! To be honest I would go if the BBMF were the only item love them that
much always gives me tears and goosebumps only complaint about them is they seem nowadays
to break rather far away. Also every time I see the BBMF PR XIX Spitfires they display quite high and
quite distant except for the final victory roll flyby. But I love that behind crowd arrival and the Lancaster fly through
with the hurricane after the Spitfire has broken off. Miss Demeanour was excellent too love the "Blue Note",
allround great flying, wonder what the organisers will have in store for next years lineup
eddywinch82

Postby ericbee123 on Tue 13 Aug 2013, 9:34 pm

Stu666 wrote:Had a brilliant day out in Blackpool with my lad. Parked at the airport as per ericbee123's instructions and was pleasantly impressed with the views across the airfield. Couldn't have timed our arrival better, for no sooner had we pulled up and jumped out of the car, when a Typhoon took off before our very eyes! What can I say, I don't think an introduction to the loud pointy things for a four-year-old gets much better than that! :yahoo:

Used the tram to get to the central pier, which had everything we needed, rides, toys, food and toilets. It did get a little packed as you can imagine, but that didn't stop us getting to the centre and front of the pier, right on the barrier. Quite possibly the best view of the airshow in the whole of Blackpool! :cool:

The show itself I thought was very impressive, more so considering it is totally free. So glad my boy got to see the Vulcan, he loved the Typhoon and Red Arrows as well. Great to see the Reds had a stand nearby, and the pilot present was very happy to sign a poster and pose for a photo with the boy. Made his day, I can tell you.

Would have dearly liked to stay for some tea at the hangar bar, unfortunately they don't serve food. Can't win 'em all I suppose.

Once again ericbee123, thanks for the excellent advice and for helping make it a day to remember for both of us. :up:

Did you pop into the hangar bar on the way in to use the toilets for your son ?

We had barbecue at 3 as wanted to make sure was out of the way before Vulcan, Reds, Typhoon etc.

Maybe you can drop by another time.

Southport Airshow next big Blackpool Airport day.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby Stu666 on Wed 14 Aug 2013, 6:23 am

ericbee123 wrote:
Did you pop into the hangar bar on the way in to use the toilets for your son ?

We had barbecue at 3 as wanted to make sure was out of the way before Vulcan, Reds, Typhoon etc.

Maybe you can drop by another time.

Southport Airshow next big Blackpool Airport day.

Yes that was us, just checking I had the right place!

Didn't think the barbie would have gone ahead in that wind. Would have been tricky us getting back for it and then back to the display in time. Maybe next year hey?

As for Southport Airshow, I'm thinking of taking the family to that one and maybe staying over somewhere in Southport. Just need to convince the wife! :heyhey:
Stu666

Previous

Return to Seaside Shows