Southend Airshow 2014

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
rdchawk

Southend Airshow 2014

Post by rdchawk »

Just seen the below from Facebook page it returns in September 2014

We are happy to announce that the Southend Airshow and Military Festival is scheduled to take place on the 6-7th September 2014! We've got a lot of work to do in the next few months and a lot of funds to raise. Please lend us your support by liking, sharing and generally getting stuck in!
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

FGR2

Re: Southend Airshow 2014

Post by FGR2 »

That is good news, a later in the year slot. Can we put our aircraft requests in now :lol:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Odd choice of date, wouldn't you expect the Red Arrows to join the Swiss birthday bash at Payerne the same weekend? (100 years Swiss air force, anniversaries of the Patrouille suisse and PC-7 Team)

JJC

Post by JJC »

Chrisse wrote:Odd choice of date, wouldn't you expect the Red Arrows to join the Swiss birthday bash at Payerne the same weekend? (100 years Swiss air force, anniversaries of the Patrouille suisse and PC-7 Team)

I would hope they will be over helping the Swiss celebrate! Especially being a Red's anniversary year too...reciprocation might be a good way of ensuring Swiss participation at our shows.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

davew55
UKAR Supporter

Post by davew55 »

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Is it the same date as Duxford's main show? Might be the choice for the date

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Latest update:

IMPORTANT REALITY! - We have just 10 weeks left to Save Southend Airshow for Sept 2014 - We either raise enough sponsorship money etc or there will be NO Airshow in 2014
We have done all we can towards bringing the Airshow back, now more than ever we need your help. Please speak to the companies you work for, show them the Sponsor Info (link in comments section below) & get your firm involved in supporting the Southend Airshow - We are so so close to saving it PLEASE HELP

Sponsor Packs are now available! Help your business reach new customers by getting involved with Save Southend Airshow!!

http://www.southendairshow.co.uk/2014/01/10/sponsor-packs-now-available/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdx9v2mpppv5ciy/Southend%20Airshow%20%26%20Military%20Festival%20Sponsorship%20Guide%202014.pdf

'we are currently aprox just £70K short of the £300K cost last year that we need to make the Airshow a reality for 2014'

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

As someone who is local to Southend and Southend was the first show that I really remember being at it would be great to see it back. However, I can really seeing it being a success this year, with missing out on both the Reds and Typhoon, two of the things that the majority of the public want to see I can't see it being that well supported, especially if the weather isn't great. Speaking to people in/around Southend the first question they have asked me (as they know I am into airshows etc.) is will the Red Arrows be there, my reply has been I doubt it with a big show in Switzerland that weekend, their second for most is what about the Typhoon, with losing out on that to many of them have no interest in the show. As soon as I saw this would clash with Payerne I expected this to be the case I feel it could be quite a bad choice of dates from the organisers.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

itfcscott wrote:As someone who is local to Southend and Southend was the first show that I really remember being at it would be great to see it back. However, I can really seeing it being a success this year, with missing out on both the Reds and Typhoon, two of the things that the majority of the public want to see I can't see it being that well supported, especially if the weather isn't great. Speaking to people in/around Southend the first question they have asked me (as they know I am into airshows etc.) is will the Red Arrows be there, my reply has been I doubt it with a big show in Switzerland that weekend, their second for most is what about the Typhoon, with losing out on that to many of them have no interest in the show. As soon as I saw this would clash with Payerne I expected this to be the case I feel it could be quite a bad choice of dates from the organisers.

I couldn't agree more, the revival team have done a great job so far, but having just looked at the Typhoon season and the Reds season, has made me think the team could have really damaged the future hopes of the show by not just checking out other shows dates.
Even if they raise the funds this year, when punters see whats missing, they may keep hold of their donations the following year.

What else will be heading to Air 14 Celebration 100th Anniversary of Military Aviation in Switzerland [Payerne, Switzerland], If the RAF are, id think everything else apart from "the great war display" are.

I'm concerned. Lets hope the pull something out the bag.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Book the Vulcan and or Canberra and they will come…...
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The Vulcan has pulling power with the general public. I imagine the average non-enthusiast day tripper wouldn't know what a Canberra is.

General public tend to know BBMF, The Red Arrows, Typhoon, Harrier and Vulcan. That is why they go.

I think the Sea Vixen would be a better bet than the Canberra, as it has displayed at Southend before and some will remember it.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Just seen on FB that the event WILL NOT happen in 2014 and they are looking at the event in 2015.

Sad that its not happening but I think they could've been a little bit more open in saying how much money they needed or mention some acts they were looking at getting to try and get sponsors that way.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Not at all surprised really. Getting the money together was always going to be a challenge, and if the council (who would probably know who to call in favours from, and shuffle budgets about) could not make it work I doubted anyone else could get the funding in on time.

They would have had a tough time if they had the money, as the crowd pullers, the Red Arrows and Typhoon would have been out of the country at the time anyway.