Folkestone Airshow 2014

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Re: Folkestone Airshow 2014

Post by tankbuster81 »

Fantastic day yesterday on the beach,despite the forecasts my face looks like a swan vesta now!!! Gorgeous weather and a great display. The show ground had added Music stages for various bands,and it has to be said some very talented singers and musicians were in attendance,great stuff!! Park and ride was excellent and well managed,and The lea's and the Beach were as packed as could be,great atmosphere. Just before The reds appeared ,a C130 passed overhead towards France,a rare sight nowadays, quite high but nice to see. The Reds were great and as polished as ever! The Tucano followed with a sprightly display , followed by a Hurricane (Not sure which one?) which performed a tight sequence of rolls and loops. Then the RV8tors to wrap up the mornings show,with a tight and beautifully executed routine.
The afternoon kicked off with the distinctive Yellow RAF Sea King showing its capabilities in tandem with the Lifeboat,nice to see in these parts again.For me the stars of the show followed, The Midair Squadron ,phenomenal!! The sight and sound, pairs passes followed by solo Displays,and ending with the Canberra opening the taps, pouring out the smoke with a sublime Blue note,and then up and away, speed, grace, power she has it all!!! The Hunter was a little distant but nevertheless lovely to see. Onto The Tutor,the Breitling Wingwalkers,and then the Blades who only had 3 aircraft for some reason????
A lovely Strikemaster then came into view with smoke system ,an all over grey scheme,very smart indeed and quite noisy. Lynx from the AAC ,which for some reason flew further out to sea than the other acts,and was higher than usual also?
Another new item for me followed, the extremely powerful and noisy Pitts Muscle of richard Goodwin which was fantastic! The BBMF were listed as The Lanc and 2 spits, but only a solo Spit appeared, technical issues en route i believe? Team Trig wrapped up the show with some tight aero's ,a fine finale'
All in all a wonderful day,and hopefully the shape of years to come.
Todays show looks much thinner,but the weather is gorgeous,so i wish all visitors a fine day.

Andy
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Couple of ID tie-ups for you:
- Hurricane was part of the Hangar 11 Collection (BE505)
- Strikemaster Mk82.A (G-SOAF) in Omani colours

The Blades only performed with 3 aircraft due to the fourth becoming u/s, however the aircraft has been subsequently fixed and flew with The Blades today
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Thanks for the information.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

George bacon the commentator made a mistake today as regards the solo spitfire, it wasn't the kent spitfire as he stated. It was spitfire ix mk912 also based at biggin hill, the kent spitfire had a mishap at biggin a few days ago only minor thankfully tipping on its nose.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

eddywinch82 wrote:George bacon the commentator made a mistake today as regards the solo spitfire, it wasn't the kent spitfire as he stated. It was spitfire ix mk912 also based at biggin hill, the kent spitfire had a mishap at biggin a few days ago only minor thankfully tipping on its nose.

How very out of Character for him... :whistle:

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

From what I've heard,doubtful the show will return this year,as not enough cash was spent in the Town/Area during the weekend.