Clacton Airshow 2014

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
someguy1

Re: Clacton Airshow 2014

Post by someguy1 »

Really enjoyed the show today, I frozen when the 2 lancs appeared and a few more times during the display, that sound I will never forget. I've never seen a tutor display so close. Rich Goodwin was really good and enjoyable to watch.

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

It was a pretty good show today, got to disagree about the Tutor display though, all bar the last pass were miles away. The Tucano also seemed very distant as well.
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

I guess that shows how much attention I was paying to the tutor :whistle:

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

To be fair if you were at crowd center it may have appeared closer, we were on the pier and I dont recall seeing it go any closer to the beach and apart from the final flick and pass it seemed to stay a way out and quite high!
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

planesgalaxxyclacton

Post by planesgalaxxyclacton »

Was a rather good show today

the 2 Lancs were fantastic so was the sound i though the Vulcan did a lovely display as-well not being on the pier made the Spitfire and the Gyro seem really far away . overall excellent show :clap:

J.Smith photography

Post by J.Smith photography »

Also what about parking? Where is the nearest place to the pier to park? How much does it cost to park there? and what time is the car park open from?

Cheers

BoneB

Post by BoneB »

Follow the airshow parking signs as you enter Clacton (not park and ride). This takes you to the car park next to the airfield and then its about 400m to the seafront. This will put you at the opposite end of the display line to the pier . So the pier is roughly another 700m. The car park is £6 for the day. Not sure when car park opens though.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The Tucano appears to be the only thing (other than the BBMF/Canadian Lancaster), that is using Southend from what I could see today.

tutordisplay

Post by tutordisplay »

Morning all,

Some interesting comments here regarding yesterday's display. Some points of interest from our point of view. The absolute minimum separation from the crowd at any point during the display is 150M. This has to be honoured for the entire length of the crowd line so if anyone has moved towards the sea, that pushes the displays further away. At Clacton, because the pier is occupied, that becomes an avoid too. The display datum at Clacton is actually about 1km away from the pier and so a small display like the Tutor Display will never be anywhere near it, having a footprint of only around 600M either side of datum. The only time the display line can be lengthened is during the final low passes (all military displays are fixed sequences whereas civilian displays can be changed). Hope this sheds some light on why the display appears as it does.

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

Thanks for some info tutordisplay, I understand that it's out of the pilots hands,that would answer for the Tucano and BBMF also, the trainer formation was something different and looked like the wind was blowing you both around abit.

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

Another highly enjoyable day, now at home wathching what ever visiting aircraft came in leave!

2 lancasters Vulcan and Typhoon the obvious highlights, a single Pitts and wingwalkers took me back to the days of the Road Angel Pitts and Crunchie team!

Tucano still seemed distant but the tutor...... what happened there a completely different show to yesterday close and low! i even had to look behind!

hope you all enjoyed the show, Josh

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

Really good show this year, certainly got lucky with the weather! It was great to meet up with old friends and meet some new ones too. I always enjoy Clacton wind, rain or shine as the company that you get is always good.

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Good show today.
Pitts special was brilliant.
Biggest let down was the Typhoon in my book.
So far away it lost its impact In my opinion.
hard for the smaller aircraft at events that are so big in length wise but I though they done really well.
Sea king was nice to see also.
Lancs were stunning and the Reds always put on a great show.Class act.
Mark.

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

No surprise to see that the show has set new records!
Over 200,000 people!! previously around 140,000.
Generated £5 million for the local economy with previous years have generating around £4 million.

Good job by the organisers and hope next year will just as good if not better.

,Josh

sideeffectwhu

Post by sideeffectwhu »

The best part of the Typhoon display was its approach from Walton on the Naze, fastest approach Ive seen from the left side of the pier. But that might have been the effect of the scotches I had each time the Lancs came over.