JJC

Re: Cleethorpes Air Show 2014

Post by JJC »

:tumbleweed:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Apparently Yeovilton is about to announce another foreign aerobatic team.

Most likely to be the Belgian 'Diables Rouges' since the muppets organising the Cleethorpes AirShow don't want them!

Pity their display was good at Cosford and would have suited Cleethorpes really well.

We have the Turbulent team to look forwards to instead...

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Another participant has been self-confirmed, with Rich Goodwin flying his Pitts "Muscle Biplane" on both days of the show
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Belgian Air Force 'Red Devils' now confirmed for Yeovilton!

Such a shame......

This behaviour by the Cleethorpes organisers is so bizarre. I can't understand what issues they have with the Belgians, first with the A109 demo last year and now the Red Devils?? Both invited to Cleethorpes. I wouldn't blame the Belgians for never sending anything to Cleethorpes again.

It's almost like they have no idea what they are doing, why would they turn down a national aerobatic team ? Would Eastbourne, Bournemouth, Sunderland or any other 'proper' organised seafront airshow refuse a foreign aerobatic team.

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Let us make one or two things clear here. The A109 last year and the Red Devils this year were never even contacted for inclusion. The organisers tried to get the F16 and that was refused. No other teams or acts were contacted and the first the organisers knew is when the show appears on someone's schedule. The organisers of the show are not 'Numpties' and are having to organise a show within a given budget and it does get a tad annoying when armchair experts spout on about things they have no knowledge of and no understanding of the wider issues.

The Red Devils are not appearing as they were never asked. The reasons they were not asked are severalfold and not for open discussion. If the show had a bigger budget many things may be booked that are not on the list now. It is a shame that you think Cleethorpes is not a 'proper' seaside show and you are welcome to your opinion, however you are making assumptions that are wrong, based on wrong information and being openly rude about a team that are doing their best.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Melvyn do you know if the BBMF Dakota Spitfire and Hurricane are arriving and leaving
as a trio on the Saturday of the Cleethorpes Airshow ? or are the BBMF Dakota and fighters having different display slots ? any info would be appreciated

paulmblythe

Post by paulmblythe »

i may be talking rubbish here but is there a chance that someone on the belgians admin or web team mixed up their red devils team with our parachute regiment red devils, put two and two together and came up with 5.

as an aside i have downloaded the airshow map from the website. the resolution is low and i cannot read the text on it.

last year was great hoping this year is as successfull

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Eddy, sorry for the delay in replying, I don't know if the Dakota and fighters will arrive together. It would depend on what timings we get. At Weston we had them at separate times on the Saturday and one after another on the Sunday but one the Sunday they did not arrive together. That would appear to have been their choice although since the BBMF fighters were right after the Falcons we were a little pushed trying to get an air ambulance in. (The BBMF guys, Dakota and fighters and Peter Davies in the autogyro were excellent and worked around operation requirements). I will mention it to the organisers that there is some (!) demand for a formation fly by, but it will depend on where they have transited from.

Paul, that *may* me the reason behind the Belgian announcement but I fear not. Of course if the F-16 had been arranged no one would be worrying about the SF260s! Just as an aside, booking a team does not just cost the fee, it costs hotel rooms for several days (at a peak time) for quite often quite a few people plus airport handling expenses and meals, it can add up to quite a bit. I did hear what one RAF team's requirement was (single aircraft) and it is a rugby team and change! (and that was Union not league).

When I get the flying programme I will attempt to update on here. We (and I include myself as a commentator) try and provide a show that is interesting and varied within a very tight budget. It is tough going.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

I for one think the display is already looking promising with a number of debuts, I would certainly be happy to see the HAC Hurricane and Nimrod return. I just hope I can get parked a bit better this time :smile:

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Thanks Melvyn for your reply, yes I went to the Sunday of the Weston Airshow, thought it was
really good. I really hope the BBMF Dakota Spitfire and Hurricane do arrive and leave together. Ive
seen footage on youtube of that, and the combination of the Dakota's radials and fighters merlins or griffons
in unison sounds incredible. I saw the BBMF Dakota arrive with a BBMF Spitfire XIX PM631 at Duxfords D-Day
Airshow this May and that looked and sounded great, but with another BBMF Fighter would be even better.
Best Regards Eddie

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

I am glad you enjoyed Weston, the Sunday was a tad stressful in the commentary box. There was a distinct chance it was all going to peter out at the end but the Canberra went above and beyond, keeping with us as long as fuel allowed in order to do the passes with the Venom, the reason there was only two passes was that he needed to get back to Kemble. The Vulcan kept us on tenterhooks right until the end and the co operation of Bristol in getting it to us through some busy skies was incredible. They were great all day, considering that everything was landing to the east we were right under approach and they pulled out the stops to help us. It is stuff like this that can make or break a show, let alone serviceability (Swordfish, Fury, Vixen, Venom (starting) Vulcan (fuelling)) and it is stuff that most people will never know about. I am sure there were people there moaning that we didn't put up the big formation of Vixen, Hunter, Canberra and Vulcan and that would have been great if it happened, but it was not the fault of the organisers that it didn't. Incidentally, the Whirlwind was a nice surprise, I am sure we will be trying to get that into the display next year!

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

The Cleethorpes airshow souvenir programmes are on sale as of last Monday according to Facebook.

If anyone can get a copy can you list the flying display for the weekend please?

Hopefully the AeroStars will be displaying.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Is the final lineup with times available Melvyn ? Could you post it here
if that is the case if your allowed to !? Best Regards Eddie

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

I don't have a timings list yet and I don't tend to get them until the day anyway. The list of particpants I have also doesn't determine which day they are there, so when it says 'all four' for the BBMF that might not be both days.

RAFAT
Typhoon
Tucano
BBMF- all 4 over the 2 days
Spitfire/109 Combo
Wildcats
Aerostars
Muscule Pitts
Lauren Richardson Pitts
gyrocopter
Chris Jessom Stampe
Turb Team
Red Devils - parachute regiment free fall team

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Thank you for the update Melvyn.

Looks like they have lost the RV8tors? Possibly replacing with the Team Raven display ( RV 8/ 4s) ? Apparently they were quite good at Throckmorton.

Do you know if your line up is the final one or will any more aircraft be added next week? ( e.g. Any jets or Vulcan?)

Also please can you post times and aircraft when you know as people on Facebook seem to be questioning if the event is even happening due to the lack of updates / information on the shows website/ Facebook page. Also apparently the souvenir programme does not list the days or times of aircraft either.

Hopefully car parking will be better this year - last year was awful.

Many thanks

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

Some updates would be fully appreciated as the organisers seem to be doing very little in terms of explaining the order of displays etc. There are people even asking if the show is cancelled and I can see why they are concerned. I'm supposed to be covering this event for UKAR, but at the moment I don't even know when to get there for

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Hot off the press and received about ten minutes ago:

Saturday

11:00 Red Devils
11:30 Wildcats
11:50 Gyrocopter
Lunchbreak
13:15 Spitfire and Hurricane BBMF
13:25 BBMF Dakota
13:45 Aerostars
14:00 Muscle Pitts
14:15 Turb Team
14:45 Spitfire and Buchon
15:00 Stampe, Chris Jesson
15:20 Pitts Special, Lauren Richardson
15:45 Red Devils Freefall

Sunday

10:30 Red Devils Freefall
11:00 Pitts. Lauren Richardson
11:15 Spitfire and Buchon
11:30 Muscle Pitts
11:45 Turb Team
Lunchbreak
13:00 Typhoon
13;20 Tucano
13:30 Aerostars
14:10 Red 10 arrival
14:15 Red Devils
14:45 Stampe, Chris Jesson
15:00 Gyrocopter
15:25 Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane BBMF
16:00 RAFAT

Before anyone asks, I don't know if the BBMF fighters will arrive with the Dakota.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

its a Real shame the BBMF don't arrive and leavein formation with the Dakota Spitfire and Hurricane very much now i'm not sure why ? A few seasons ago they did quite frequently especially during the 2005 UK Airshow season from photos i've seen on the net, but from 2010 I don't think they have at any British Airshow unless anyone can say otherwise. They have had the Dakota and a Spitfire together at Kemble's Airshow and the odd other venue but I don't think they have had the full trio arrive together ? Anyway for free show that's a good lineup, I still love the BBMF whatever the combinations of aircraft they are part of our heritage, thankyou for the info Melvyn it's much appreciated.
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamieC

Post by JamieC »

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Dakota flys at a slower speed than the Lancaster so it is more difficult for the fighters to keep formation with the Dakota than it is with the Lancaster

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Its not that slow ! Having seen the Norwegian Dakota perform at Flying Legends Airshow at Duxford,
the Dakota is capable of some speed and can be quite an agile performer in the right hands, it might be slower than the Lancaster, in acceleration and top speed, but i've seen Footage of the BBMF Dak Spit and Hurri arriving and leaving together at Airshows and the Dakota doesn't seem to be struggling to keep together with the fighters or vice versa !

JamieC

Post by JamieC »

I'm not doubting the fact that it can be quick and agile, I've also seen that for myself! I'm just saying that's what I read...somewhere!

EDIT: From the BBMF Yearbook 2014, an article about displaying the Dakota: "The speed of the Dakota precludes us from displaying with the Spitfire and Hurricane, we would be at full speed whilst the fighters would be a bit too slow, not a good mix!"

Not that I'm trying to be clever here, just thought it was an interesting piece of information.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Fair enough thanks for your reply Jamie, I have a couple of BBMF Books myself which I have
only flicked through yet. I will take a closer look at them, I'm just extremely surprised by that ! Having seen
pictures of them in formation together on the internet Pics/and Videos and on airshow DVD's also
the MK19 Spitfire PM631 arrived with the BBMF Dakota at this years Duxford D-Day Airshow with no apparent difficulty.
Thanks once again for your information and taking the time to reply to my post. Best Regards Eddie :smile:

Take a look at this footage I don't see any slowness in Arrival from the BBMF Dakota here at the Dunsfold Airshow in 2008 !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXFWBfERdDk

JamieC

Post by JamieC »

I must admit I thought it was strange that I read that and then they arrived at Duxford together, I thought with the Mk19 being Griffon powered it would have been even more difficult, however on the Sunday they did do separate displays.

PS I love that Griffon roar in the video clip!

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Many thanks for posting the flying times Melvyn. Much appreciated.

Not a bad line up for the show.

However 1030am start is the earliest I have ever known for a seaside show ( i am sure Eastbourne , Bournemouth, Clacton , Southend all start at 12 ish). I fear if the traffic and parking arrangements are as bad as last year a significant proportion of people may miss the pre - lunch segments. Anyway early start to get there on time.

Also the display seems a bit spaced out for 13 items, no complaints but I am sure the organisers could run a tighter show with the next display arriving when previous one finishes ( e.g. Do the Red Devils parachute team really need 30 mins for their display??) but maybe this will happen after the show has run for a few more years and the organisers want to 'play it safe' at the moment giving plenty of time between displays.

Anyways good luck to you Melvyn and your team at Cleethorpes for next week .

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Thanks for the update Melvyn

I might not make it this year, but enjoyed last years show even if the fog curtailed it on Saturday, I know the weather around the place only too well having grown up in Immingham.

Hope you get better weather for both days this time :smile: I am limited to a nearby Typhoon base this week.

All the best

Tim Senior (ex Aerospace Publishing etc etc.....)