Sunderland Airshow Friday Night

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
JordonHarston

Sunderland Airshow Friday Night

Post by JordonHarston »

Hi this is the first year I am going to Sunderland Airshow on the Friday evening and I was wondering where the best place to sit is?

Because if you sit on Cliffe park you won't get a good view of the planes but if you sit on the seafront you won't be near the entertainment

So I was wondering if anyone could help me please?

jon93

Re: Sunderland Airshow Friday Night

Post by jon93 »

Well I just sit on the seafront as I go to see the aircraft which at sunset look brilliant, it's a lot quieter than the Saturday and Sunday well it has been the past two years. From what I saw of the entertainment area it fills up quickly due to the main viewing area being quite small.

Hope the above helps. :smile:

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Ok thanks very much was probably going to sit there anyway but wanted more information

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

The Friday Night Launch Party is on from 18:00-22:00

Also on the Friday Night there is apparently a extended flying programme

According to Flighltine UK the aircraft on the Friday are:

RAF Tucano
RAF Tutor
Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight: Lancaster Spitfire Hurricane
RAF Red Arrows
Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4
SWIP TEAM with Pyrotechnics

John_E

Post by John_E »

I was stood near the lighthouse last year. Fine for watching the aircraft/photography and close to the entertainment for when the wife/kids got bored of waiting for the next act.

Hewy

Post by Hewy »

The lighthouse is always best as its the centre datum for the display line, so all those lovely crossover shots are heading for your beak. Also you have sight of the pier for the fireworks. Usually I find f you've seen one firework display you've seen em all but the Sunderland one is pretty damn cool. In front of the lighthouse on the right of the steps there's a craggy bit of grass, which seemingly gets smaller every year as the VIP area expands. If you get the right spot you can park your behind with enough elevation to see the North Yorkshire coast to the south and the Whitburn headland to the north. Sadly though when The Spuggies turn up or anything noisy people stand up. Even though if they keep sitting they won't miss a thing, so if you are disabled or with short arse, or like me both don't worry, because I have no problem with shouting at the sheeple and pointing out the error of their ways. It keeps me amused. Hope you enjoy the show.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Flying tonight is CANCELLED
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

BrizeWatcher wrote:Flying tonight is CANCELLED

Is this true

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Yes I believe so; due to low cloud.

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Just got back from the seafront, all I can say is what a joke, it was wall to wall sunshine. I'm all for safety first but there was literally no fog unless they were displaying bang in the middle of the North Sea then there maybe fog as it was retreating and has been all day. There was one very quick announcement (when I was there which was for about 30 minutes) which stated that flying had been cancelled for technical reasons but you had to be very quick to catch it, the only reason I knew it was cancelled was due to the the rescue boats leaving, there was a lot of people still waiting for the flying to start when I left.

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Absolute joke I know safety first but I spoke to one of the Red Arrows engineers and they have flew in much worse and they said the Red Arrows were wanting to display

JamieC

Post by JamieC »

Not sure if the BBMF bothered to come up to Newcastle for the night, I saw them over Scunthorpe about 30 minutes before they were due at Sunderland but the fighters broke off shortly after their flypast.