Wales National Airshow 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Brevet Cable

Re: Wales National Airshow 2015

Post by Brevet Cable »

Can you freeload at a free airshow , because if so....I do !!
Because I work nights over weekends , fighting my way into and out of Swansea isn't particularly feasible.
My solution is to head down to Kenfig.
The reason for this is that the majority of the display acts tend to transit over there ( following the M4 ) and frequently hold either over the dunes or the fields/golfcourse area between Kenfig & South Cornelly.
You also usually get several of the acts practising their displays or doing general aerobatics whilst waiting for their display slot.

:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

welshdan1927

Post by welshdan1927 »

That doesn't sound like a shocking idea, just make sure you don't pop to the toilets at Kenfig nature reserve... (if I could put a pink wafer here I would!)

I'm planning on heading down on Friday, the reds due into Rhoose at around 5ish that day and I'm in work at 4. Hoping something fancies rehearsing early ish!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

welshdan1927 wrote:That doesn't sound like a shocking idea, just make sure you don't pop to the toilets at Kenfig nature reserve... (if I could put a pink wafer here I would!)
I'd rather risk the gorse bushes than use the toilets there !! :lol:
Of course , there's always the POW pub just down the road ( which also does a nice pint and very good meals ) :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

welshdan1927

Post by welshdan1927 »

Seeking some clarity... Is the vulcan at Penarth before or after the Swansea display? Could be the difference between seeing it or not (bloody work)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

According to info VTST posted , it's Swansea first , then Penarth , then back to Yeovilton.

Edited to add.....
As per the Yeovilton thread , some say it's the other way around -- Penarth , then Swansea.
Someone's posted the Swansea timetable on the airshow's facebook page , which lists XH558 as displaying at 12:30hrs.
아직도 숨어있다

welshdan1927

Post by welshdan1927 »

Well I see the cachu has well and truly hit the fan. Vulcan at 1230, Typhoon at 1250, sea king 1418, Hunter 1517, bbmf 1620, reds 1635.

That means Penarth for me sadly.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yesterday's VTST newsletter confirms their original post :
XH558 will depart RNAS Yeovilton after lunch, so her take-off will be slotted in as part of the display schedule before leaving the circuit to display overhead Swansea Bay for the Wales National Air Show, then heading back past Cardiff Bay to Penarth for a flypast. On her return, she will enter her own display routine,
아직도 숨어있다

welshdan1927

Post by welshdan1927 »

Strange, somebody is wrong...

Got lots of people thinking of going to Southerndown in the hope of seeing it so they'd better sort it out!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Bit late now , but the routing's here : https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.kFtNeFeE8WKY
And despite what they posted on their facebook feed yesterday , it was Penarth first then Sawnsea. :wall:
아직도 숨어있다

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Brevet Cable wrote:Can you freeload at a free airshow , because if so....I do !!
Because I work nights over weekends , fighting my way into and out of Swansea isn't particularly feasible.
My solution is to head down to Kenfig.
The reason for this is that the majority of the display acts tend to transit over there ( following the M4 ) and frequently hold either over the dunes or the fields/golfcourse area between Kenfig & South Cornelly.
You also usually get several of the acts practising their displays or doing general aerobatics whilst waiting for their display slot.

:biggrin:

I thought I'd take the dog for a walk over the Kenfig dunes this afternoon (kill two birds with one stone), but given the weather don't think I'll bother... :facepalm:

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Jordanian Falcons, Vampires and BBMF all cancelled.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Just as well you didn't......various cancellations & delays because of the weather.
RJF , Vampires & BBMF have binned it , RAFAT are hoping to display at 14:00hrs.

Listening on the scanner , haven't heard anything on Swansea's normal freq. or the display freq. they were using yesterday.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Latest is that the displays won't start until 14:25hrs ( RN Black Cats ) , RAFAT currently down for 16:15hrs.

SRG-169 is up out of Chiv. , presumably re-locating ready for it's display.
Everything else has weather problems , save for the mighty Sea King !! :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Latest info for display times :
Royal Navy Black Cats - 14.25
Autogyro - 14.39
RAF Tutor - 14.52
Tigers Parachute Team - 15.02
Sea King - 15.20
Chinook - 15.43
Typhoon - 15.58
Red Arrows - 16.15
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

RAFAT have finally managed to depart Cardiff , then.
아직도 숨어있다

[rgmw]largie

Post by [rgmw]largie »

Arrows did 2 flypasts in an arrow formation and two in diamond and that was the lot unfortunately (weather deteriorating at Cardiff airport). Despite that and the cancellations I had a smashing afternoon sat on the beach with my Missus and a picnic. Typhoon was noisy, chinook amazing and the Sea King search and rescue was excellent.
It was a completely different vibe and show to Yeovilton yesterday and I enjoyed them both.
Prebooked the premier parking (£15) and was out the car park 5 minutes after getting in the car as it properly marshalled :- unlike the Hurricane field yesterday !
Dave
Dave
[rgmw]largie

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

RAFAT have problems getting in & out of Cardiff , yet any number of civi aircraft managed it with no problems whatsoever .... not the first time they've had 'weather problems' recently.
They then do a mediocre display in contrast to that done by other acts ( including the Army nutters jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane )
:tumbleweed:
아직도 숨어있다