Southport Airshow 2015

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Jamie87

Re: Southport Airshow 2015

Post by Jamie87 »

The flypast will be quite early. Red 10 tweeted saying it'll be as they fly into Warton after travelling back from Belgium.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

Johnhill

Post by Johnhill »

Never been to Southport airshow but the lineup is very tempting.

Where is the display line, does it cover both ends of the beach north and south of the pier?

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

It appears that according to the updated Flying Schedule, for this weekends Airshow. That the Meteor is now Sunday only

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

Happy with the flypast obviously - not at all with the meteor loss on the Saturday.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

The Reds are due Warton at 1410 and the Vulcan is due to display at 1435 so something will change slightly

greeny

Post by greeny »

Anyone know how the beach is looking this year? It was really muddy last year!

Post by 106500 »

greeny wrote:Anyone know how the beach is looking this year? It was really muddy last year!

Pristine golden sand lapped gently by an azure sea at the moment :smile:

greeny

Post by greeny »

106500 wrote:
greeny wrote:Anyone know how the beach is looking this year? It was really muddy last year!

Oh wow, really!! Thanks for that :loser:

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

106500 wrote:

:lmao:
Looking at the height of the tide today, would hazard a guess at wet and muddy, on the bright side weather forecast doesn't look too bad.

wellsie82@gmail.com

Post by wellsie82@gmail.com »

Team ninja due in at Liverpool 16:00 tomorrow

From what I can make out, GiNA the camo typhoon will not be traveling. I would expect one of the other aircraft with tail paint schemes to make the trip along with a spare in standard colours

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

The Camo Typhoon will be doing a duo display with a BBMF Spitfire, at the Airshow at Duxford this weekend I believe.

greeny

Post by greeny »

Synchro display at Duxford on Saturday. Outside Chance of seeing of Gina on Sunday but doubtful. Think it will be centenary colours both day's

wellsie82@gmail.com

I'd say no chance rather than slim. Whatever they bring tomorrow will be what they use over the weekend until they depart Monday morning.

They've said they're confirming what tails are coming tomorrow. Note tails not tail so there'll be a spare - they might use one each day

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Do any of you guys know what route to take so you can park on the beach ?One of our party is not too good on the old pins and can't walk too far.In the past we have parked on the car park and walked but the beach would be closer for us.Any info so we can get directed to park on the beach would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance if any of you guys can help.

Greydrake

Post by Greydrake »

you have to head down the coastal road (incredibly bumpy road!) from the north
and you've got to be early we are going in a convoy of 5 cars which should be fun getting through the gates

however on the other side of that if one of your party isn't to good on their legs might be best parking in the normal car park and watching from the wall. walking around on that beach is not easy!

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Do any of you guys know what route to take so you can park on the beach ?One of our party is not too good on the old pins and can't walk too far.In the past we have parked on the car park and walked but the beach would be closer for us.Any info so we can get directed to park on the beach would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance if any of you guys can help.

The only thing I can suggest is get there early, when the traffic gets heavy, the parking marshalls seem to direct traffic quite arbitrarily to which ever parking places have spaces, I do know in the past a quick word with the marshalls can can get you to where you wish to be, but no guarantees, sorry couldn't be more helpful.

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

Greydrake wrote:you have to head down the coastal road (incredibly bumpy road!) from the north
and you've got to be early we are going in a convoy of 5 cars which should be fun getting through the gates

however on the other side of that if one of your party isn't to good on their legs might be best parking in the normal car park and watching from the wall. walking around on that beach is not easy!

What time is early dare I ask? The Southport website seems to indicate as close to 9am as possible, but is it better to get there earlier to beat the traffic and get a parking spot on the beach?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on the best places to view from? Is the beach the best place or are there better alternatives?

I've never been to Southport airshow before.

greeny

Post by greeny »

If you get there 8.30 -9 you should be fine but as a previous comment stated, if you have someone in your party who isn't too good on their legs, you might be better staying clear of the beach. It's not nice sand at Southport, more sticky silt/mud which can be hard work walking on.
Also arriving at that time should get you a good way down the top car parks so it won't be much of a walk to the main area.
Its a good view from the wall and that's where most of the crowds congregate
Weather is looking quite good so hope everyone has a great day.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Gina is currently at Northolt.Due out 1145-1215.Came in for BOB 75th Gala Dinner last night.Not sure where it is going but guess would be Warton

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Hi all,

as someone who's never been before, is there any tat stalls?

I'm looking for stuff to distract the wife during the day

cheers

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

There's the whole of Southport town centre to explore. I don't know if any sell tat though. :smile:

wellsie82@gmail.com

Typhoon pair BQ & BR due into Liverpool 12:30 today

wellsie82@gmail.com

Just both typhoons land. One was the red tail. The other was the standard camo I think, certainly was not ww2 colours/GiNA

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

DerekF wrote:There's the whole of Southport town centre to explore. I don't know if any sell tat though. :smile:

They do, but it's very expensive tat :biggrin:
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

wellsie82@gmail.com

Pic has just gone up showing both typhoons being refueled. Red xxx tail & the spare is in standard colours