Southport Airshow 2015

Re: Southport Airshow 2015

Postby eddywinch82 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:48 am

According to http://www.southportairshow.com P-51D Mustang Ferocious Frankie is no longer in the display program. Also the Rolls-Royce Spitfire XIX is now Sunday only, as is the Meteor.
eddywinch82

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:46 am

For info, the beach is very very soggy. Make sure you're waterproof and don't expect to put much down. Theres an extra rope barrier about 5 metres back from the metal one, I presume to stop it flopping over under any sort of strain of folk leaning on it. Cars are parking on the beach so business as usual if a bit messy.

But hey the sun is shining!
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Tonka98 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:55 am

Will there be replacements for the Spitfire, Meteor, and Mustang today
Tonka98

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:00 am

The Spitfire and Hurricane on this list are from Hangar 11?

Anyone know if they stay locally for the show, or fly direct from base?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Rory76 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:40 am

Imagine at least one of the Spit/Mustang/Meteor have made way for the Reds/Vulcan fly past.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)
Rory76

Postby T6NL on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:02 am

Stuck at standstill 6.5 miles away for the last hour coming from Leeds. Never ever seen anything like this before. 10x worse than RIAT traffic
T6NL

Postby Rory76 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

Got train from South Liverpool- it's rammed now, so don't leave it til last minute if you're planning on hopping on from Formby or something.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Rory76

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:00 am

Do i trust the published plan or not?

If i do i get 558 down the mersey with liverpool as a backdrop, if i dont i get to see her at southport.....

Given how wrong its been this season, and ATC changes its best for Southport unfortunately. :dizzy:
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Postby Rory76 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 1:25 pm

Superb Vulcan display- a real Rumens special!
Ricoh Caplio R5

Rory76

Postby Rory76 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 2:47 pm

Mixed formation central here today.

Vulcan and Reds, Wildcat and Swordfish and now the Tutor and Bulldog are running in.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Rory76

Postby davidjones533 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

I take it the Mustang and Hurricane & Spitfire have canx?
davidjones533

Postby Rory76 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 3:22 pm

Looks that way.

Cracking solo display from the Teichmann Spitfire though
Ricoh Caplio R5

Rory76

Postby Redarrow2727 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 4:39 pm

Hi does anybody swordfish departing and arriving times for tomorrow and also the mig 15 .
Also what aircraft will come close to the estuary tomorrow thanks in advance
Redarrow2727

Postby banksy on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:04 pm

Rory76 wrote:Superb Vulcan display- a real Rumens special!

Fantastic, wasn't it!?!

Loved every second of it.

Left Chester at 9.30 this morning, got to Southport by 10.30, parked up for 11am. Happy with that, as saw people queuing back up the roads having taken a trip to Morrisons to do a spot of nappy changing!!

Amazingly, people still coming in as I was leaving at 3pm!

Well done Southport. Obviously the highlight of the day for me belonged to Avro Vulcan XH558.
Chester FC Media Volunteer
Twitter: @banks247
banksy

Southport Airshow 2015

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm

Stayed from the Chinook until the Extra 300, and the news that both Tiffies had gone tech. (not sure if either got fixed to turn up though)
Loved the Mig display, the Extra 300, the Wildcat and Swordfish 'duo', JP and the Spitfire.

However, i'm glad that although i'm 1 mile from the water in Liverpool, that i didn't go down to see 558 bimble around for 15 minutes awaiting the reds to turn up from K.B. and went to the naughty field south of the pier by half a mile.

My word, the reds in formation was ok, but flat and straight, and definitely not like the curving top side at RIAT. Nice though.

However as soon as Kev (i believe) put on the coals, went round and came back from the south, opening the taps more just by me to herald the return of 558 in earnest to Southport for the last time with a howl to set the hairs standing on the back of your neck i knew we were in for a great display.

Tight, very low (seemingly 250ft from where i was) and noisy, the last climb was the best though, again opening the taps after doing a 110 degree wing over to line up with the display line, a howl of goodbye echo'd across the town as she fled like like a maiden searching for water with her skirts on fire, until about half way between me and the pier before a steep climb and a would he, wouldn't he thought for the final wing over.

Let me tell you........he would!!! my pics show a wing over of RIAT proportions, and....................it was the end. Sorry but that was probably my last time seeing the old girl in flight, and i'm afraid i had a tear or 2. as i watched her speed off towards the North East and out of sight.

If i dont get to see the 'last flights', let me say to the TVOC and it's supporters, a hearty thank you. I saw her last RAF display at Cranfield and thought id never share that howl with my son, and i have for many a year now. Thank you to, to Martin, Bill, Kev, Barry, Taff et all, for keeping her displaying and in perfect fettle for this long.

She will live with me in my mind forever and for that i thank you all.
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Postby Aviationcafe on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 6:06 pm

Just arrived back at the b&b in Southport now after taking a slow walk after the show had finished.

The Vulcan and Reds, although you can't compare it to the one at RIAT, it was still a sight to behold.

The Vulcan display.... was honestly the best display I've seen from it since it was restored to flight, I know a few others where I was stood on the beach had a tear in the eye and a lump in the throat throughout its display and by gosh it didn't let anyone down.

Highlights from me besides from the Vulcan, the MiG 15, Swordfish/Wildcat, Typhoon and the Tutor & Bulldog.

Keeping everything crossed for a similar day tomorrow now!
Aviationcafe

Postby silver fox on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 6:49 pm

Good show today, one or two minor blips in timing, but nothing bad, highlight for me has to be XH558, but the Reds as slick and polished as ever, the Hawk T2 demo made sure we didn't fall asleep and the Typhoon sent us home with ears and bones properly rattled, not really into helicopters, but even they appeared better than usual, must be the weather or I'm getting old.
silver fox

Postby Redarrow2727 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:15 pm

Going lytham tomorrow what is coming close to lytham or the estuary
Redarrow2727

Postby DJSmurf2008 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm

Fantastic day today. True the schedule went a bit haywire but all in all there was some spectacular performances. Vulcan was just... WOW... Southport is the only airshow i can attend due to travel limitations so never witnessed the famous Howl, but today they pulled it off and my goodness it was good! The red's were as amazing as ever, and the Typhoon rattled bones i didn't think we had haha. The Hawk T2 Role Demo was fab, albeit i was expecting more "beach explosions"... The Spitfire had a helluva run aswell and pulled off some fantastic moves. The Chinook also was a highlight.

Downside for me were the lack of the 2nd Black Cat. It didnt seem to have the same effect doing the usual moves but with no dramatic effect of getting close to the opposite chopper hahaha.

Not sure if they browse this forum but i'll put it here incase they do. Was nice to meet you and we apologise for the little one screaming and hitting you with the balloon hahaha Also hope the spiced rum went down well :)
DJSmurf2008

Postby silver fox on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm

Redarrow2727 wrote:Going lytham tomorrow what is coming close to lytham or the estuary

Judging by today's display, would say very little, Reds in and out of Warton, most coming in from Woodvale or Liverpool.
silver fox

Postby Redarrow2727 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:14 pm

silver fox wrote:
Redarrow2727 wrote:Going lytham tomorrow what is coming close to lytham or the estuary[/quote

Judging by today's display, would say very little, Reds in and out of Warton, most coming in from Woodvale or Liverpool.

As long as I see reds, swordfish and mig 15 which are using warton and blackpool. Is it possible to see more if its a clear day with binoculars
Redarrow2727

Postby T6NL on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:16 pm

At one point, during the 4 hours of standstill traffic and witnessing some of the worst traffic management I have ever seen in many years of attending Southport Airshow....... I almost performed a U-turn. However, the Typhoon made up for every stressful minute endured with the most magical looking display I have ever seen. That last vertical pull which produced a rainbow induced vapour show had me stood there welling up! Just mesmerizing, period.
T6NL

Postby Mooshie1956 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:23 pm

Really enjoyed todays show. First bit of good weather for me this year which is always a great bonus. 558 stole the show but to be honest it's what I went for and wasn't disappointed at all. I really loved seeing the old Stringbag today. Peter Teichman as always was excellent with his display in the Spitfire, just a real shame his Hurribomber went tech for the old boy in the commentary box that flew them during WW2, I found listening to his commentary a refreshing change, and talking of Commentary it made a great change for 558 to drown out Mr Marfett's commentary :lol: The solo extra I thought was well flown as was the Blades display. I left around 4pm and missed the Reds Tiff and Hawk demo. I preferred to miss all the traffic.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-300 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby Greydrake on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:25 pm

quite frankly one of the best southport airshows there has been in recent years.

it had its downsides but they were organisational and I'm sure folks will point them out.

however
what was in the sky was magnificent and a pleasure to watch. I will thoroughly miss that Vulcan its display today was just something else. I couldn't believe it rolling all the way over to inverted like it did felt like one last great hurrah.
Although it wasn't just the big things it was every single aircraft in that sky just performing wonderfully.
a huge thank you and congratulations to all the pilots and crew who entertained me and mine so much today! :clap:
Greydrake

Postby 106500 on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:58 pm

Yep agree it was a great show all round (perhaps not quite as good as Sunday last year? - Vulcan and 2 x Lancs). Sorry to hear about traffic problems but we followed the advice and got there at around 9:00 am and it was a doddle. 558 was great and display was on a par with Sat RIAT, Weston and Bournemouth Sunday. One particularly sad moment for me was the last display by a Culdrose SAR Sea King. Downside was just a few gaps in the display due to cancellations but not a major issue.

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Shows