Southport Airshow 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
eddywinch82

Re: Southport Airshow 2016

Post by eddywinch82 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the Airshow at Southport today. Even with the missing display items, it was an excellent Airshow in my opinion ! I was so glad the weather improved, for the Red Arrows, who put on their full display, which was excellent and exemplary as always. I enjoyed the warbirds the most, especially the B25 Mitchell "Sarinah" from Holland, a really gracefull display accompanied by the awesome sound of it's radial engines it looked fantastic in the excellent light. Also I was really pleased to see Peter Teichmans P-51 Mustang and Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk, which opened the Airshow both displays were excellent and graceful and I love the whistle from the Mustang. And he seemed to display them alot closer than people have said he has, at other venues this year. I really enjoyed the other displays too from Team Raven and the Blades. And the RNHF Swordfish flying in formation with the two Blackcat Lynx Helicopters, was another highlight for me. The overall highlight for me was the last item, the BBMF Lancaster even without the BBMF Fighters. I have not seen it display since Southport Airshow in 2014 with the Canadian Lancaster "Vera". So it's solo display was extra special for me, I had goosebumps all over ! Hopefully the Two Norwegian Vampires and Mig-15 can make it to Southport to display tomorrow. As they were weathered in at Duxford Airfield today. And the BBMF Fighters were also unable to get airborne form RAF Coningsby, due to the weather in the East of the Country. Luckily the BBMF Lancaster was operating from Southampton Airport (Eastleigh) and was able to avoid the Bad weather in the East, and fly up the West of the Country, where the weather was much better. I really hope the BBMF Fighters join her tomorrow ! The Autogyro is only on tomorrow, also does anyone know why the Bronco and Sioux Helicopter, didn't display today ? I am so looking forwards to tomorrows display. Especially as the weather is forecast to be good again :smile: :smile:

donaldson1

Post by donaldson1 »

P40 was at Blackpool all weekend - [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnDbROTUEs[/youtube]
Check out my other Aviation videos on my YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO7FUS ... cD17blAFcw

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

AndyXH558 wrote:She was so dissapointed there wasnt a lot of fast jets. For me it was worth it just to see the Lancaster once again. Ive missed it.

What other fast jets was she expecting to see exactly?

I too missed the Lanc although we didn't even get a pass with the bomb doors open

Does anyone know whether there's anything else other than the Typhoon using Liverpool today for the show? Most seemed to be at Woodvale or flew in.

banksy

Post by banksy »

Does anyone know if the 4 black hawks currently sat on the tarmac at Hawarden are due to be attending Southport at all today?
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

jason82wells wrote:
Does anyone know whether there's anything else other than the Typhoon using Liverpool today for the show? Most seemed to be at Woodvale or flew in.

To answer my own question the Lancaster is also there

Avronut

Post by Avronut »

I'm interested to know what impact (if any) people think the new CAA rules have had on this years Southport Air Show. In particular, I'd like to know whether people thought the flightline was further from the crowdline? I've not been to an air show this year but I normally attend Southport.

Cheers,

Mike

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

I thought a lot of the displays were very close in to the crowd. :smile:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I didn't think the display line was much different to previous years. I was standing much further back, at the edge of the beach so I might not be able to judge.

We went on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed the show. The plan was for me to drive up on Friday afternoon, we had a room booked at the handily placed Premierinn, but the cancellation meant I drove up Friday evening anyway. My wife and daughter came up by train on Saturday morning. Signal failure, a Manchester derby match and a crowded train from Picadilly means they won't be doing it again. We stayed overnight Saturday night and drove back home this morning. So no traffic issues at all.

As far as the show is concerned, and as mentioned before, the weather in the east of the country meant a few cancellations but there were few gaps and what did fly was reasonably entertaining without being really outstanding. All well flown and appreciated by the large crowd. The Red Arrows and the Typhoon were the standout items for me, the Red Arrows dedicating their display to my former boss, which was a nice and unexpected touch.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

As others have said I didn't find much different from other Southport shows. The only thing I felt different was they seemed to go over the pier higher than before or even turning earlier to give the pier a miss, and as I had stood down that end I felt as if I was shooting more into the sun than usual and at a higher angle. Also as noted a few gaps due to no shows that couldn't be helped, but 2 slots fill by a solo from the Black Cats and a second display by The Blades which I think were welcomed by the crowd, and which I think a big thank you wouldn't go amiss for stepping up and keeping the show running at a decent pace.
It may not be the best show around for an enthusiast but they certainly put on great display for the general public.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Airshowguy1

Post by Airshowguy1 »

I've only been going on and off to Southport airshow since 2008 but it did feel like the vintage jets were further away than most of the other aircraft, i was sitting right at the front aswell but even so it was still a great day as usual. I went on the train today and to i have say it was so much better than going in the car :smile: I'll upload my pictures tomorrow :biggrin:
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/airshowguy1/

Nikon D5200
18-55 kit lens
Tamron SP 70-300 Di Vc Usd
Sigma 150-500

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

So next year dates are announced as 15th to the 17th September, it looks like thy're going to try for another evening show.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

What an Fantastic Airshow at Southport yesterday !! I thoroughly enjoyed myself both days, the organizers secured a fantastic mix of Aircraft types, and many thanks to Sefton Council and sponsors who helped stage the event. The weather was excellent both days too I am so glad it coincided with the 25th Anniversary. The flying was excellent both days. I was really pleased, that the displays didn't seem much further away from the crowd than usual post Shoreham. Although as has been said allready, some were further away than others noteably the Vampires and Mig 15, which I was thrilled to see ! especially the dogfight that ensued )) Peter Teichmans two displays today in the P-40 Kittyhawk and P-51 Mustang were superb, he was clearly enjoying himself, and making the most of the blue sky and fairly high cloudbase loops and plenty of topsides, which even the BBMF did once or twice today, which they are not renowned for. The B-25 Mitchell was sublime and what a fantastic sound from it's big radial engines. The Mustang's new paint scheme, looks lovely too. And I love the Mustang whistle from the gunports ! There were so many highlights this weekend, I loved all the display teams. The Blades, Team Raven etc put on examplary performances. My overall highlight of the two days and my entire year, was seeing the BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire VB AB910 and Hurricane IIc PZ865 display at the Southport Airshow today. I was resigned to the fact, that I wouldn't see the 3 ship formation at all this season as the other two events all 3 were supposed to display at the BBMF Lancaster couldn't make it, either technical problems or weather, but I am thrilled I was proven wrong ! It was the highlight of everything I have experienced this year ! Seeing the BBMF Lancaster Spitfire and Hurricane holding in the distance before their display slot. Gave me goosebumps, and the sight and sound of all three Aircraft approaching, was worth the entrance fee alone ! )) And fantastic solo displays by all 3 Aircraft and pilots. And I was thrilled to to see them arrive and end if formation, it was spine tingling watching the Lancaster with it's gear down, before full power was applied to all 4 engines ! and the fighters rejoined it, for a final formation flyby, absolutely fantastic stuff ! It was extra special as the Lancaster, is off the Airshow circuit all season next year, for a necessary Major service (( So I savoured the BBMF Display even more than usual ! )))) So I am really looking forwards to next years Airshow, and hopefully the night show, will be able to take place then. This really is an Excellent Airshow, as good as others around the country, and long may it continue !! :smile: :smile:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Mooshie1956 wrote:As others have said I didn't find much different from other Southport shows. The only thing I felt different was they seemed to go over the pier higher than before or even turning earlier to give the pier a miss, and as I had stood down that end I felt as if I was shooting more into the sun than usual and at a higher angle.

Now you come to mention it Mooshie, something was different in that the light which is usually sidelight seemed to have become quite strong backlight, so clearly I spent more time looking left than usual from my regular crowd line spot half way along the pier side of the beach. Although centre marker didn't seem to have moved to the left, maybe it had. I was a little worried about distance for the first couple of items but it soon transpired that there was no difference.

I felt the show was very much the usual Southport Airshow, in a good way. Getting there and back is very easy for me, starting between Wrexham and Chester I drive as far as the excellent Merseyrail park and ride just off the M53 at Hooton, then train in to Southport, departures every fifteen minutes. Trains coming back are busy but acceptable. Derek mate, I feel for you, you have some rotten luck getting to airshows, usually the local ones! So, showground, normal, distance normal, and save for the unfortunate cancellations the programme was the usual compendium, there's a bit of everything to present an all round good show. Maybe just the lack of service support to airshows in general showed this year.

I'm quite relieved that next year's dates avoid a clash with Scampton first and foremost, but also Duxford and Sanicole. Just the luck of the tide tables there!

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Jason unlike you and I my mother hasn't been following the aviation scene since the last one she went to which was Mildenhall Air Fete and that was majority fast jets ie F16s agogo, Lightning, Harrier, F15, A10, Tonkas, Jaguar, Phantom. Vulcan, Victor (if you were lucky) Mirage, and then there was the SR71.

anyway back on subject. got there at 930 straight in, parked up and sat down by 10. I always sit which seems to be datum center on the sea wall near the commentary box. Really enjoyed the display. Highlights for me was Typhoon which seems to be a lot more tighter display from last year, Team Raven who really surprised me how good they were. Teichmans p40 and P51 displays were spectacular as usual. The Black cats seem to be building up a great display with the Wildcat and the fly through with the Swordfish was amazing.. where was i.. yup looking for the loo. Typical! The B25 was a very welcome display as i havent seen a display from the Dutch team before. Seeing Ollie's display in the JP was great, somehow I think we may see him in a warbird or a red suit one day. Red arrows did their normal polished display.

The Tigers parachute display team was really good, ive never seen a team do that where they linked together as they were coming down.

For me though the main highlight was the first display i have seen of The Lancaster. it was good to see her fly once again... last week I did see her fly at Elvington where she did a few flypasts at low level. Yes i had a lump in my throat and goosebumps. since my Nana died 5 years ago the Lancaster has become a fond reminder of her due to her working on the Lancaster assembly line at chadderton.

Low lights for me was the Blades, i have never liked them much but i was impressed that they did 2 displays to fill in some time due to cancellations which cannot be helped due to weather. Although I do wish they would have a different commentator because the same commentary twice was a little too much to take.

All in all a great day. Got back to the car and was out of southport quite quickly. and was home by 715, only problems was on the ormskirk road as you come out of southport and that was just for traffic lights.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I was also really thrilled to see the formation passes, of the RNHF Swordfish with the two Lynx Helicopters what a sight ! Very innovative and nostalgic, that gave me
goosebumps too ! ))

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

AndyXH558 wrote:Jason unlike you and I my mother hasn't been following the aviation scene since the last one she went to which was Mildenhall Air Fete and that was majority fast jets ie F16s agogo, Lightning, Harrier, F-15, A10, Tonkas, Jaguar, Phantom. Vulcan, Victor (if you were lucky) Mirage, and then there was the SR71.

Ah fair enough. If only we still lived in good times like those. I used to live 45 mins from Mildenhall & was spoilt rotten down there - air fete, Lakenheath, Marham & Cottesmore families days, Waddington, Fairford - not to mention all the exercises when money was no object to air forces. Quite depressing when you look where we are now actually :surrender: :wall:

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Mooshie1956 wrote:So next year dates are announced as 15th to the 17th September, it looks like thy're going to try for another evening show.

I think now they've started it (even if the weather prevented it from going ahead this year) they need to be seen to be giving Friday evening another go - seems quite popular for other seaside shows.

Saturday seemed quite quiet this year (lack of Vulcan effect & lack of anything out of the ordinary attending (which happens when a) it's held so late in the year & b) clashes with Duxford (which I know wasn't Southport's fault)), but I wonder whether we'll see a reduction in ticket prices next year?

Having gone back on previous emails, the prices I've paid for advance tickets have been:-

£7.32 in 2013
£7.32 in 2014
£8.36 in 2015
£8.50 in 2016

I know Friday's prices were lower than the Sat/Sun shows but I just cant imagine that they sold that many tickets. If my assumption is correct, I can picture them at worst holding the prices in 2017 or even knocking a bit off. I know each year their costs go up, especially post Shoreham, but surely it's better to sell more tickets at a slightly lower price rather than taking extra off a reducing attendance? The money that people spend that weekend in the town most really boost the economy.

Avronut

Post by Avronut »

It's good to hear that there wasn't much noticeable difference post Shoreham. Thanks for the replies!