Wirral Airshow 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
eddywinch82

Wirral Airshow 2016

Post by eddywinch82 »

According to the following website :- http://www.britishairshows.com/british- ... -2016.html

On Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th August this year, a new free Airshow at New Brighton Seafront (Merseyside) is taking place.

An official website is under construction at :- http://www.wirralairshow.com

Great news for Northwest Aviation enthusiasts ! Although it clashes with the Blackpool Airshow on the Sunday, maybe some sharing of display items will take place ?

Jamie87

Re: Wirral Airshow 2016

Post by Jamie87 »

I like the sound of this.

I have been saying for years that New Brighton would make for a good air show venue.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Also there is an air display in Newcastle Co. Down, Northern Ireland that weekend as well.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Here is some more info about the Wirral Airshow, and the history of Air events in Merseyside, in the following link :-

http://www.derbosoft.proboards.com/thre ... -back-2016

Enjoy !

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

A statement about this years Airshow, has been put up on the official Wirral Airshow website. In the website
link given by me at the top of this thread.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

A bold statement to say they will be the largest Airshow in the North West. I think it will take some to beat Southport, even Blackpool last year had some decent acts.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Prepare for hell when leaving New Brighton, due to poor access roads for good traffic flow and although they might do more trains, it's purgatory.

When they had the 3 queens liners at Liverpool last year, I went to new Brighton to photograph them, and it took me 3 hours to get home in Liverpool ( by car). The event was praised throughout the city, but the transport links were roughly.

And that was for 3 ships!

Rush hour using the wall asset tunnel can be 20-25 mins to get through, let alone on match night sometimes.

Fingers crossed they sort parking, traffic flow in and out first with the local police etc.
Got to love Russianhardware

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Mooshie1956 it says on the website, which has been updated again, just before as I checked.
That it will be the Largest Free Airshow, not the Largest Airshow in the Northwest. Although
to be bigger than Blackpool Airshow, which I really enjoyed last year will be a hard act to follow. We will
have to wait and see.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I see it has been updated to say largest free airshow. :smile: I also see they have added that there will be a grandstand available, entry by purchased ticket (not that I'm moaning about that, want a better view then you pay). There also organizing a park and ride, so maybe that's going to be the answer to traffic flow problems. Not been to New Brighton since the 1970's, so I can't say what traffic is like round there.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

wellsie82@gmail.com

Post by wellsie82@gmail.com »

well i must admit i completely laughed off the idea of the wirral airshow when it was announced but given it falls on the same weekend as blackpool, there's no reason to doubt that stuff destined for blackpool will surely swing by to the wirral too - it would make sense from a costing pov & mean more people see the participants, though i know not every participant will attend both (raf stuff will though)

the typhoon team have confirmed their attendance this afternoon - even if that's the only "decent" thing going, i wont complain

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

RAF King Air displaying both days, according to their schedule.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

RAF Eurofighter Typhoon displaying both days.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

The BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane, are displaying both days.
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

The RAF Red Arrows displaying Sunday 7th only.

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

http://m.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1431956 ... t/?ref=rss

It would seem the organisers have hit a wall. That wall being the Wirral council. Let's hope they can sort their differences out.
Last edited by Jamie87 on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Jamie87 wrote:http://m.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/14319566.Red_Arrows_confirmed_they_are_to_fly_at_Wirral_s_first_air_show___then_organisers_are_told_they_must_postpone_event/?ref=rss

It was seen the organisers have hit a wall. That wall being the Wirral council. Let's hope they can sort their differences out.

That's the Wirral show cancelled! Crazy what's happening because of the events of Shoreham. Very sad.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

This has nothing to do with Shoreham.

More to do with the Event Organiser not engaging with the authorities correctly (as required).

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Seems strange that it seems they've done nothing with regards asking the people in charge for permission etc.....just sort of turned up and said 'we are doing this' and not considered everything that needs to be in place first, before you go public with such an announcement.

Organising 101 isn't, it seems, in this venture's playbook. Doesn't make them look good IMHO
Got to love Russianhardware

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

boff180 wrote:This has nothing to do with Shoreham.

More to do with the Event Organiser not engaging with the authorities correctly (as required).

Read the news today? :whistle:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Flare Path wrote:

From the quoted news piece... "A town hall spokesman said: "The events safety advisory group, which consists of representatives from the council, police and fire service, have recommended to the organisers that their proposed air show should be postponed until 2017 to allow for all the necessary plans essential for the safety and success of such a spectacle to be made. The company has no land agreement in place and no licence to use the promenade for this event. Concerns particularly around issues such as traffic management, car parking and event safety plans, would have been difficult to address satisfactorily with the event just five months away.

I wish people would stop blaming the CAA. This issue is clearly nothing to do with them, the Event Orgainiser has failed to properly liaise with the SAG in good time, hence why the local council is unhappy for the event to go ahead.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Flare Path wrote:

Yes I have thanks.

Did you actually read the reasons why this show has been put back a year?

"The company has no land agreement in place and no licence to use the promenade for this event.

“Concerns particularly around issues such as traffic management, car parking and event safety plans, would have been difficult to address satisfactorily with the event just five months away.

Not having them in place is the reason for the postponement, not the CAA tightening the rules! Not having a simple thing such as the licence and traffic management pretty much sorted 5 months away from an event is what has put it back. Council's and other authorities just don't have the resources to throw at something like this (especially when its new) for that to be completed satisfactorily in such a short timescale.

Not once has any story about this event or either party mentioned the CAA as the reason. The airshow community must be extremely careful not to blame the CAA for everything that leads to a show cancelling. All that does is damage the industries reputation and plays into the hands of the CAA's spin that they have tried today.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The airshow community must be extremely careful not to blame the CAA for everything that leads to a show cancelling.

Very well put. Laying blame for every issue at the CAA's door will not help in finding a sensible solution to the consultation.

As Boff and Peter have pointed out, this is nothing to do with anything other than naive organisers. I'm sure they'll learn lessons and come back stronger.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Is the event definitely cancelled for this year ? Or is there a possibility the event may still go ahead ?
The official website, hasn't put an statement up yet !?

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Apparently the organisers are in negotiation to continue with the event this year but in a different location.