16:40 - RAF Typhoon Display Team
17:00 - Departure of Royal Navy Ships - Including 2 Royal Navy Hawk T.1
Nikon D500

planenuttoo

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2016

Post by planenuttoo »

If youi have a chance,
"17:00 - Departure of Royal Navy Ships - Including 2 Royal Navy Hawk T.1 "
this is worth watching. In the past, the attending vessels, proceed in line astern parallel to the beach, then with horns blasting, turn sea ward and move away. It's different and good, not observed by many.

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

Thanks for the timings harvo.

Shame Sea Vixen isn't displaying, there was a comment by the team on Twitter this weekend confirming it couldn't display due to Pilot availability.

The lineup is really missing some classic jets. Sea Vixen, Miss Demenour, Vulcan, meteor, vampire, Canberra, mig, hunters, all past attendees. Plus the absence of Chinook, Hawk demo, Tornado role demo. It's a shame to see such a thin line-up.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

GazBOH wrote:Sea Vixen, Miss Demenour, Vulcan, meteor, vampire, Canberra, mig, hunters, all past attendees. Plus the absence of Chinook, Hawk demo, Tornado role demo. It's a shame to see such a thin line-up.

Would be a fair comment if it was 2013 and the majority of those were actually flying, but it's 2016 and many on that list aren't available for displays..

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

Of course, and not just Bournemouth missing those display items, like you say, most aren't flying. That was my point, there's not a great deal of availability this year.

Just reminiscing how good previous years have been :)

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

I should have said, Strikemaster is a good addition this year. I've seen the display a couple of times, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The team's social media presence has been excellent too.

The gnat display team and Norwegian vampires/Mig-15 would have been welcome additions imo.

Either way, still looking forward to the show over the 4 days, and a mixture of airport/beach/cliff top. :)

keety

Post by keety »

Tempted to give this year a miss.... might pop along for the night air but not sure I can be bothered to sit on the beach all day for whats displaying (having been spoiled rotten by RIAT)

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Don't quote me on this but there are many sources stating that the Beach Assault this year is due to include Merlins (2+) and 2 Navy Hawk T.1's
Nikon D500

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

Harvo266 wrote:Don't quote me on this but there are many sources stating that the Beach Assault this year is due to include Merlins (2+) and 2 Navy Hawk T.1's

That would be awesome. It's great how they've developed the beach assult in recent years into a multi-role demo with the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Anyone got any solid information (other than rumours) that the display line is going to be further away this year than previous years?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Dipslay Lines are the same as previous years, the Maritime Exclusion Zone has been enlarged - CLICK HERE :biggrin:

kwebb1

Post by kwebb1 »

i sent a message asking bournemouth if the rumour about the hawks and merlins for the beach assault,there answer today was 2 hawks and 1 merlin for sat/sun beach assault :rock:

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

Thanks for the map share. I could be wrong, but have they shifted the centre display datum east slightly? I thought in previous years it was centred on the Cumberland hotel?

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

clearstone wrote:Dipslay Lines are the same as previous years, the Maritime Exclusion Zone has been enlarged - CLICK HERE :biggrin:

I'm still not convinced the display line hasn't moved back from previous years looking at that map???
Fast jet line 230m from THE PIER END??? That's miles away if you're on the beach/cliffs

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Adie1980 wrote:
clearstone wrote:Dipslay Lines are the same as previous years, the Maritime Exclusion Zone has been enlarged - CLICK HERE :biggrin:

I'm still not convinced the display line hasn't moved back from previous years looking at that map???
Fast jet line 230m from THE PIER END??? That's miles away if you're on the beach/cliffs

As far as i'm aware it's always been 230m from Pier end as the regs say that it needs to be 230m from the crowd and since crowd can form on the pier, it needs to be from pier end. The boats have been pushed out as it is an overfly area for the aircraft
Nikon D500

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

GazBOH wrote:Thanks for the map share. I could be wrong, but have they shifted the centre display datum east slightly? I thought in previous years it was centred on the Cumberland hotel?

I think you're spot on there. I wonder if it's anything to do with the cliff collapse because the centre display datum was just slightly east of the cliff railway and as you said has now moved about another 400m east. This puts it closer to the next zig zag down the cliff (think they call it the toft zig zag?!). Makes me wonder if the commentary position has moved to this position as well as opposed to on top of the cliff railway?
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Never ceases to amaze me that no matter how dull a line up give the general public the Red Arrows, Typhoon and to a lesser extent the BBMF and they'll think it's a great day out.
Makes me wonder why people like Kennet Aviation, Hangar 11, (former) Classic Air Force etc bother to restore unique, interesting, rare or different airframes as so few people seem to appreciate them.
Thank God some of us do and these people exist to operate them.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

We have the Strikemaster, B-25, GWDT, which are all old aircraft from new companies so the event organizers are bringing new stuff in. Classic jets are not really selling themselves as they are under tight scrutiny as a result of Shoreham.
Nikon D500

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Compare Bournemouth's line up to Eastbourne, Herne Bay, Torbay, Blackpool or Southport. They're almost identical with the exception that almost without exception they're all better than Bournemouth.
The only seaside show that looks outside the box is Jersey.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Let me just say that this coming week something pretty cool is going to be confirmed for Friday evening, so keep an eye out. Tease over :biggrin:
Nikon D500

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

Harvo266 wrote:Let me just say that this coming week something pretty cool is going to be confirmed for Friday evening, so keep an eye out. Tease over :biggrin:

Such a tease! :lol: Any clues?
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Aviation94 wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:Let me just say that this coming week something pretty cool is going to be confirmed for Friday evening, so keep an eye out. Tease over :biggrin:

Such a tease! :lol: Any clues?
I don't want to give anything away, just make sure you are present at the beach before 20:15 :)
Nikon D500

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I'm afraid this line up is not good enough for me to attend this year and I go to Bournemouth every year. I know it's a hard year following Shoreham but considering we've lost the Vulcan and there's a massive chunk of money available it's a very poor line up.

Can I just ask Harvo, what is the point of the whole "I know something you don't know", are you part of the marketing team for Bournemouth or something? The way it should work is to advertise what is happening "before 20:15" on the Friday, not to keep it a secret and just hope that people will turn up for this lucky dip. People have work and families to juggle so it would be helpful to know if this "thing" that's happening on Friday is worthy of sorting out time off work or babysitters, is it an aircraft or is someone going to dance around the beach with a sparkler?! :dunno:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Thumper wrote:I'm afraid this line up is not good enough for me to attend this year and I go to Bournemouth every year. I know it's a hard year following Shoreham but considering we've lost the Vulcan and there's a massive chunk of money available it's a very poor line up.

Can I just ask Harvo, what is the point of the whole "I know something you don't know", are you part of the marketing team for Bournemouth or something? The way it should work is to advertise what is happening "before 20:15" on the Friday, not to keep it a secret and just hope that people will turn up for this lucky dip. People have work and families to juggle so it would be helpful to know if this "thing" that's happening on Friday is worthy of sorting out time off work or babysitters, is it an aircraft or is someone going to dance around the beach with a sparkler?! :dunno:
I am not part of any marketing team, however I was given info straight from the pilot saying what is going to happen, and he said not to tell anyone until it's announced by the Bournemouth AF team. If I was on the receiving end of this 'secret news' I would be wanting to know, but I only say it so people may try and keep that evening free if possible. Some people may find the news boring and others may love it. Since you're on the topic of Shoreham, it surely is the complete opposite thing to do by neglecting the show and not supporting the airshows while they are at a difficult state?! I understand we go to airshows based on the line-up but it really isn't that bad - Reds, Typhoon, Swiss Super Puma, Lanc, Strikemaster and more! It could be a whole lot worse. I can't make you attend the airshow but I would recommend it. With further regards to Friday night, the only thing I'll say, and the last hint I'll say is that it isn't a new aircraft for the display, just a dusk display from one of the current items. I hope you can make your mind up and do the right thing.
If you do go, I hope you enjoy the show..
Nikon D500

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

An 85 year old woman, called Dawn is going to do A Wingwalk on a Stearman on Thursday. It is scheduled for 13:20
Nikon D500