Bournemouth Air Festival 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
The Baron

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2016

Post by The Baron »

I've got to disagree with you Harvo. I love my airshows, but I can't justify going to one with a weak, samey line up. Bournemouth has almost the exact same line up as Eastbourne or Blackpool and whilst that may suit the holiday makers it won't get my support. If you want airshows to become stale and boring with the same aircraft then fine.
I on the other hand will support the shows that aren't afraid to think outside the box and pull in new and exciting displays, as Bournemouth have done in years past.

This year I just can't be bothered to drive from north to south Dorset just for the Puma.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Probably the Typhoon.Flight schedule is on www.military.airshows.co.uk.scroll down until reach date for show,then venue and daily schedule is there

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

jules48 wrote:Probably the Typhoon.Flight schedule is on http://www.military.airshows.co.uk.scroll down until reach date for show,then venue and daily schedule is there

There's nothing about the Typhoon in the evening there? It would be good if it was the typhoon but i haven't heard anything
Nikon D500

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Harvo you must know what it is as you said you heard it from the pilot but it is still to be announced or are you just a wind up.The only reason I mentioned the Typhoon is that it has already done some night events.Of course it is not in the display schedule as you say it is still to be announced.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

jules48 wrote:Harvo you must know what it is as you said you heard it from the pilot but it is still to be announced or are you just a wind up.The only reason I mentioned the Typhoon is that it has already done some night events.Of course it is not in the display schedule as you say it is still to be announced.

I know exactly what it is but as I said before, I have been told by the pilot not to spread it everywhere. Maybe I shouldn't have said it and result in many people getting too uptight about it all, rather than just wait and see what it is. If I didn't give any hints to anyone, kept it to myself and allowed the Bournemouth team to announce it the day of the display, which they may well do, then many enthusiasts who would love to see it may have already made plans for that time slot and be even more annoyed! I appreciate that other commitments take place but I am just saying that if possible try to keep the evening free. I honestly want to spread it everywhere possible but I want it to be a surprise for everyone rather than tell everyone on a message. It will be more special when they announce it unexpectedly. As I said, some people may find the act extremely boring for Night Air but I know that 99.9% of people will be buzzing for it, me included, and I know the pilot has worked hard to get it sorted and he is counting down the hours till the event. If everyone stops worrying and thinking about it, then it will be even more exciting when announced, trust me.
Nikon D500

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Tilney.G wrote:There's me thinking Bournemouth have got a good new act in for Friday night, anyway with the current forecast this incredible surprise, secret act might never get up....
The line up does look very poor. Yes it a great day out by the sea but it is called an AIR festival and it seems they focus more of what gets the council money such as music not the planes.
I can understand why you wouldn't want to travel far to what doesn't look that good a line up. Maybe they should rename it "The Bournemouth Music and a bit of air Festival 2016"......

It isn't a new aircraft, an act that is displaying over the course of the weekend but is doing an extra display on Fri Evening
Nikon D500

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

however I was given info straight from the pilot saying what is going to happen, and he said not to tell anyone until it's announced by the Bournemouth AF team.
:question:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

clearstone wrote:
however I was given info straight from the pilot saying what is going to happen, and he said not to tell anyone until it's announced by the Bournemouth AF team.

What?! I haven't told anyone what it is have I? It could be anything from the Parachutists to the Reds, so I don't think I've told anyone what it is?
Nikon D500

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Tilney.G wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:
clearstone wrote:

What?! I haven't told anyone what it is have I? It could be anything from the Parachutists to the Reds, so I don't think I've told anyone what it is?

You've said it's displaying over the weekend which leaves only the B25, Strikemaster and GWDT as they don't display thurs/fri.
Anyway isn't it a bit stupid filling up a whole thread trying to guess what one plane might do a display Friday. Just wait and see, oh and maybe stop teasing.....

There's more aircraft displaying over the weekend than that. It doesn't have to fill up the thread but lots of people who I presumed are adults can't be patient and just wait and see as you say; if people just saw my post and just waited out a bit instead of trying all this speculation then it would only be 1 comment. From now on I am not going to say one thing about it until it gets confirmed, because obviously the majority can't be patient and wait which would be the normal thing to do. Be patient people, it will be worth it
Nikon D500

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Harvo.I don't know how old you are and I am not even going to the airshow but why bother to say anything in the 1st place.The weather may play a part anyway so it's best to keep quiet I assure you as I have learnt from my own mistakes in the past

pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

Harvo266 wrote:An 85 year old woman, called Dawn is going to do A Wingwalk on a Stearman on Thursday. It is scheduled for 13:20

Yeah! :yahoo:

gralee

Post by gralee »

Harvo266 wrote:An 85 year old woman, called Dawn is going to do A Wingwalk on a Stearman on Thursday. It is scheduled for 13:20

She was called Dawn when she was younger but now rides under the name of Sunset :smile:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Do the right thing?

I'm not driving from one end of Dorset to the other wasting petrol, battling nightmare traffic and trying to find parking for a weak airshow when I do have better things to be doing, like working. Other years I have booked the day off as it's been worth it, for me this year is not worth it.

Bournemouth is a free event so the only way I am not supporting it is through crowd numbers and I didn't remember anyone last year giving me the head count while I was sat on the beach at the pier. If there are poor attendance figures then maybe they need to look at their lineup.

You're slating people on here calling members of this forum childish and impatient yet you are the one coming on here with the most irritating and childish of statements in your "I know something you don't know and it's a secret" post. I have a job, I have to submit a holiday form in plenty of time to secure the day off. If an airshow can't pull their finger out and tell the public what is appearing 5 days prior to the event then perhaps it's them that need to do the right thing.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Looks like the Reds are based at Exeter like last year according to Red10s twitter

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

jules48 wrote:Looks like the Reds are based at Exeter like last year according to Red10s twitter

Don't worry, they are just at EXT for tomorrow. They arrive at Bournemouth at 13:00 on Thursday :smile:
Nikon D500

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Aah.with the surprise act for Friday night I expect.lol

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

jules48 wrote:Aah.with the surprise act for Friday night I expect.lol

:-X
Nikon D500

keety

Post by keety »

so, display centre has moved approx 150m to the east. The large hospitality tend has moved 200 odd m to the east, meaning that the area around the Beach assault is completely open now (there's a 50 odd m gap between the hospitality tent and eastern edge of beach assault pen)

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

keety wrote:so, display centre has moved approx 150m to the east. The large hospitality tend has moved 200 odd m to the east, meaning that the area around the Beach assault is completely open now (there's a 50 odd m gap between the hospitality tent and eastern edge of beach assault pen)

Cheers for that! I believe the datum is now the large white building on the clifftop (The Albany), which would agree with what you have said. I'm going to cycle along the beach tonight for a 'suss out' of the place so I should report back later
Nikon D500

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

So after a cycle down the beach revealed the following:
- The marquees and main arena have moved east as Keety said
- Fonix and other people were setting up some sort of platform next to where the Jon Egging memorial is near the old commentary position
- The new commentary position is now set up in a little enclosure in front of the grassy area near the Ocean view hotel, so yet again further east.
Nikon D500

gralee

Post by gralee »

Tilney.G wrote: The East Overcliff tends to be my best spot with good views around and down on the aircraft. In between the the piers is the center line so anywhere there you will get a good view. You do however shoot into the sun at Bournemouth but that can't be helped!
Hope this is of some help! :smile:

Does this east move mean that the above is no longer a good spot?

:up:

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Tilney.G wrote:
gralee wrote:
Tilney.G wrote: The East Overcliff tends to be my best spot with good views around and down on the aircraft. In between the the piers is the center line so anywhere there you will get a good view. You do however shoot into the sun at Bournemouth but that can't be helped!
Hope this is of some help! :smile:

Does this east move mean that the above is no longer a good spot?

:up:

Nope should still be fine. The east overcliff goes quite a way along so if you just head east a bit past the new commentary position your still get a great view. Basically, just follow the road down East a little bit. :smile:

Have never done Bournemouth since they stopped having the show at Hurn so haven't a clue as to what is where on the seafront. Any chance you could provide a map reference or some other indication where a good position on the east cliff would be please?

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Okay the pilot has now confirmed it so...
At 20:15 on Friday night there will be a sunset Typhoon Display! I pretended I didn't know so I could keep it under wraps! Hope people enjoy it!
Last edited by Harvo266 on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D500

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Not really a surprise though as it was pretty obvious if you think about it but by mentioning it in advance as though it's top secret just annoys people.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Look, I've told you what it is, so you can stop moaning and either stay at home or go and watch it! Its been made such a big deal for something that really shouldn't be. Let's end this here
Nikon D500