Jersey 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
keithholden

Jersey 2016

Post by keithholden »

Does the Jersey show come under the jurisdiction of the CAA? Went out to Elizabeth Castle to watch last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

james908

Re: Jersey 2016

Post by james908 »

Looks as though the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight will be returning again with the same quartet as last year, with Jersey receiving a 'JA' on their flying program. Also looks as though the Patrouille de France will be making an appearance :clap: Very much looking forward to heading back down come September.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Participation looking decent so far, should be a good day!
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Stu

Post by Stu »

Also sounding like the display line will be moved further back out of the Bay and maybe the Castle will be out of bunds for the show as well, But will be good to see the P de F back :smile:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

keithholden

Post by keithholden »

Received from the organisers

"Thank you for your email. I am not in a position yet to give you a definitive answer to your question although I can advise you that we are seeking to have Elizabeth Castle closed for the air display and practice sessions and for modifications to be made to the maritime exclusion zone and beach closure in light of the post Shoreham regulations. These have not yet been agreed. If the castle is closed we shall endeavour to find a platform at sea where photographers can take their photographs with the sun behind them but we have not sourced a vessel as yet.

We will advice anyone coming to the display of any changes on our website and Facebook pages. We shall soon be advising members of the public what aircraft we hope shall be attending but I must advise you that the list is subject to us obtaining sufficient sponsorship on top of our government grant."

Keith

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

I am not so sure a boat will work. The high tide on the day of the airshow is about 11am and low tide is at about 5.30pm.

From what I have seen low tide leaves the beach exposed all the way to Elizabeth Castle and a bit beyond. The boat will have to have room to float so I think it will be further away than that.

Also, at Elizabeth Castle you are further away from the 230 meter line the other side of the datum than you would be crowd side. The reason why the aircraft sometimes come closer to the castle is because they are turning away from the crowd and toward you to come back again to the crowd

As the castle appears it may be closed during the display, the implication is that any boat will have to be well away from the castle and thus nearer the center of the datum at a point point where it is possible that no aircraft is likely to come anywhere near you. You could end up never being any closer than 300 or 400 meters to an aircraft during a display let alone 230 meters.

If however, aircraft will be required to turn before they reach the castle and not the port side or come back in bayside rather than the port side, things could be better in the boat with aircraft nearer 230 meters from you.

We will see.

Martin Eames

Jersey Organiser

Post by Jersey Organiser »

First official announcement of participation at the Jersey International Air Display which this year is being held on Thursday 8th September 2016:

RAF BBMF Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire
RAF Tornado GR.4 (Flyby and static)
RAFAT the Red Arrows
RAF Chinook (TBC)
RN Black Cats
RN Merlin HM.2 (static)
RN Sea King MK.7 (static)
AdA Patrouille de France
SAFHF Saab SK 60
SAFHF Saab J29 Tunnan
SAFHF Saab SK35C Draken
SAFHF Saab J37 Viggen
RNHT DH Sea Vixen
CAC Boomerang
Red Bull P-38 Lightning
Red Bull F4U Corsair
OV-10 Bronco
Lockheed 10 Electra
Stinson Reliant
Breguet Alize

More hopefully to come providing we raise sufficient sponsorship.

Please note the Jersey is a largely self governing Crown Dependency. We do not come directly under the UK Civil Aviation Authority and together with Guernsey share a Channel Islands Director of Civil Aviation. We have conducted with him a full safety review of the Jersey air display in light of the CAA and AAIB findings following the Shoreham air display disaster and made a number of changes to bring us into line with the new UK regulations. The main changes for those who have been before are the closure of Elizabeth Castle and the Fort at St Aubin to any spectators, including photographers, a revised maritime exclusion zone and a beach closure around St Aubins Bay from St Helier to St Aubins. We still have an air display bubble over the sea that will allow dynamic manoeuvres by our participants.

If you are looking for historic fast jets come to Jersey.

Bronco

Post by Bronco »

This is incredible, thanks for continuing to deliver exceptional and unusual display line ups, but please can we have the Sea Vixen on the ground this year?

Stu

Post by Stu »

Superb line up once again Hotel booked as normal :up:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

Bronco

Post by Bronco »

I have noticed that long term Jersey resident, the DH Heron is flying once again from Coventry, the example in Duchess of Brittany colours and is due to return to the island soon

Wondering what the chances are of seeing her in the display or at most on static display

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Wonder why Typhoon never displays at Jersey

AFC

Post by AFC »

Does anyone going to this show travel via ferry on the day?
Also where is the best place to view from?

The viggen ( :drool: ) and the draken ( :drool: ) are major draws for me, so I'm hoping to attend this show

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

That line up looks awesome. Tempted to make the trip across the channel myself.

I've had a quick look at ferry times from Poole and flybe from Southampton. Dep/Arr times and return trip times for the day didn't look too favourable

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

GazBOH wrote:That line up looks awesome. Tempted to make the trip across the channel myself.

I've had a quick look at ferry times from Poole and flybe from Southampton. Dep/Arr times and return trip times for the day didn't look too favourable

I always used to fly from Southampton but Flybe changed the flight times this year. I'm now having to go from Gatwick.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

Thanks for the heads up. Easy Jet from LGW looks like it could work for me :)

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

GazBOH wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Easy Jet from LGW looks like it could work for me :)

If it does you'll be in for a treat. I've always really enjoyed Jersey. Maybe see you on the flight!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

I ummed and ahhed on easyjet.com before going for the "only one seat left at this price" 0705 outward from LGW; as it happens after going back up there are more seats available to give a full day out for £57; the £15 return fare is a steal!

Jersey Organiser

Update on Jersey air display lineup:

We have had two unfortunate withdrawals from the display. The first is the Chinook which Joint Helicopter Command have withdrawn from our air display and we believe all air displays. The second is the Breguet Alize which has cancelled due to pilot non-availabilty. The French team, however, have confirmed that they will attend our air display on 14 September 2017 and that we will have the British debut of this aircraft.

We are also monitoring two aircraft: the Lockheed 10A Electra from the Czech Republic as it has had an undercarriage problem which they are hoping to fix well before our air display and the Royal Navy Heritage Trust's Sea VIxen which had a flap problem last week.They too are hoping to have it resolved in time to display in Jersey.

In the meantime we have added Team Raven to the lineup and will add additional items if either of the aircraft above are not able to attend or we have further drop outs.

In answer to some of the questions posed on the forum above we are aware of the De Havilland Heron's first flight and would have it in the air display if it is available but we believe they lost an engine on the test flight and do not know whether or not it will be ready in time.

The reason we have not had an RAF Typhoon in the air display is because the RAF will not send it to a week day show. It is not that we haven't requested it. We were perhaps too lucky early on when we were among the first air shows to feature the Typhoon.

Jsysco

Post by Jsysco »

Looks like it's going to be another great display this year.

However, with the castle off limits this year, where is the best place to watch the display and/or take photographs?

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

If you are looking for historic fast jets come to Jersey!!! Brace yourself for Distant flying ala Bray with the Swedish. Massive disappointment. Hope thats not the case though for you lads in Jersey.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I recall the Typhoon being at Clacton, Lowestoft and Eastbourne numerous times which are/were on Thursday and Fridays?

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Sea Vixen out for rest of season

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Norwegian Vampire pair, Gnat, Husky float plane and Aerosparx added. Sea Vixen and Electra removed.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Jersey Organiser

Latest update on Jersey Air Display

We have unfortunately lost the Sea Vixen and the Lockheed 10A. The former because of the flap problem that has grounded the aircraft and the latter because of an unresolved undercarriage problem. We have replaced these aircraft with the Aerosparx, the Norwegian Air Force Historic Squadron Vampires, and a Folland Gnat from the Historic Aircraft Trust. We were also hoping to have a Husky amphibian as well to do a water landing but it is no longer available. Although this is now probably the final line-up we are still looking at something very unusual but it is likely that there is too little time left before the display to make the arrangements and we will probably have to leave it for next year.

Jersey Organiser

In my previous post I forgot to mention the Polish Navy AN-28 Bryza that is making a welcome return to our static display.