Eastbourne

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Disaster Area

Re: Eastbourne

Post by Disaster Area »

My first and last time at Beachy Head yesterday. As has already been pointed out other than the arrival of the BBMF photo opportunities are zero. Talking to others that were regulars on the head they won't be returning in the future unless things change.

I wonder how different Bournemouth will be at the end of the week, might you be better viewing it from Cherbourg???

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Disaster Area wrote:I wonder how different Bournemouth will be at the end of the week, might you be better viewing it from Cherbourg???

well at least the sun would be behind you!
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

JohnnyM100

Post by JohnnyM100 »

I am up at Beachy near the lighthouse. Great War display were in 'Beachy hold' but were so far away could barely make them out.

Certainly not the bun fight for space from last year.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

The irony here of course being Bacon proclaiming to whichever media would listen after Shoreham that seaside shows were perfectly safe and were the future...

So, now Beachy's gone. The destruction of just about anything worth seeing on the airshow calendar is just about complete.

The results of the CAA investigation, and police enquiry can't come soon enough.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:The results of the CAA investigation, and police enquiry can't come soon enough.

I think you're being extremely naïve if you think much will change after the investigation. If the blame is apportioned to Andy do you honestly expect the CAA to go "Sorry chaps, we overreacted, everything's going to go back to normal"?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Canon

Post by Canon »

Pringles wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:The results of the CAA investigation, and police enquiry can't come soon enough.

I think you're being extremely naïve if you think much will change after the investigation. If the blame is apportioned to Andy do you honestly expect the CAA to go "Sorry chaps, we overreacted, everything's going to go back to normal"?

Well seeing as Old Warden has returned back to normal, I'd say theres always a chance things might go back to what they used to be like pre Shoreham.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

sideeffectwhu

Post by sideeffectwhu »

Actually picked them up on FR24

sideeffectwhu

Post by sideeffectwhu »

Sorry the Blades and a jp coming in from Camber.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Nice pass from the BBMF past Beachy Head and just about an ok one from the Bronco. The rest so far have been very poor. Fingers crossed for the Sea Vixen but worryingly it's not on the flight programme that's on sale.

sideeffectwhu

Post by sideeffectwhu »

Bronco over Pevensey just now. And here in Harold Wood just tracked the 2 jps going back over Brentwood where I saw them Thursday going over.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Vampires have just gone over Basildon heading back to North Weald.

Minigill

Post by Minigill »

Sea Vixen gone tech :sad: Slow fly in and once round again, but headed off without display.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Sensible decision to RTB rather than risking the world's only airworthy survivor in any way.

Tiger's commentator doesn't seem to have turned up. Actually, a parachutist has just jumped from the Islander and is now providing the commentary! Different individual to the rest of the week I think.

pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

I think the Sea Vixen has just flown over my house. Hope everything is ok?

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Looked like a possible flap issue
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

8674planes wrote:Looked like a possible flap issue

I thought Jonathan had retired?

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

8674planes wrote:Looked like a possible flap issue

Confirmed on Facebook.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

If you read the Herne Bay thread you will see it was on frequency for its display there but was cancelled following the Turbulent ditching...or did Eastbourne follow HB?
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

If you feel like you had a wasted trip to Beachy Head, like I did.........let the Tourist Information Centre know.
Beachy Head is listed on their website as a place to view...............which it isn't anymore, and why things have changed is beyond me.

Here's their email address;

tic@eastbourne.gov.uk

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Dragon Rapide wrote:If you read the Herne Bay thread you will see it was on frequency for its display there but was cancelled following the Turbulent ditching...or did Eastbourne follow HB?

It was due at Herne Bay first then Eastbourne. After it's first fly through with gear and hook down, at Eastbourne, that is when the tech issue occurred.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

That explains it - thanks.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Apart from the BBMF, the Sea Vixen and the Bronco (just), those aircraft that did come past Beachy Head were too far away and/or too high. The two seat Spit arrived right over us near the memorial and others entered the display on a line that took them between us and the town. I'm at a loss to understand why most aircraft gave the Head a very wide berth. If it was OK for the BBMF to give us a great photo opportunity, why not the others?

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Hello; my first post on here!

I've never found the vantage point on Beachy Head that good (apart from 2005 when the DHL 757 came very close overhead!) and usually end up rolling down the hill by bicycle to the sea front. Decided to keep my Brownie points for Jersey this year and after watching the Sea Vixen's curtailed flypast on the live feed I think it was a good choice. Hoping to catch her at Dunsfold as well although presumably that's a just a sedate flypast too?

iGol66

Post by iGol66 »

Zoom wrote:Hello; my first post on here!

I've never found the vantage point on Beachy Head that good (apart from 2005 when the DHL 757 came very close overhead!) and usually end up rolling down the hill by bicycle to the sea front. Decided to keep my Brownie points for Jersey this year and after watching the Sea Vixen's curtailed flypast on the live feed I think it was a good choice. Hoping to catch her at Dunsfold as well although presumably that's a just a sedate flypast too?

The Vixen performs a very energetic 8 minute display, its display at Eastbourne was only a couple of sedate flypasts due to an issue with its flaps. She returned back to base safely but only as a precaution. It'll do a full display at Dunsfold.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Zoom wrote:Hello; my first post on here!

Hi and welcome. I've found Beachy Head pretty good, always nice to get some different angles over the water, the shots of the Vulcan last year are probably the best I've got of her.