Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Switch to full style
News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Post a reply

Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:06 pm

From the ITV News website:

Great Yarmouth is to host its first major airshow next year. Displays will take place over the resort's Golden Mile seafront.

Organisers hope the four-day event will attract up to 300,000 visitors and bring more than £10 million to the local economy.

Aircraft will dance in the skies over Great Yarmouth seafront for four days next summer as the resort hosts its first ever major airshow.

The new seafront event – geared to attract up to 300,000 people and a £10m-plus boost to the local economy – will be held from June 15 to 18.

It is being staged by Greater Yarmouth Tourism and Business Improvement District (BID) as part of its drive to bring more visitors and spending power to the borough.

The airshow, featuring two evening and two afternoon display sessions, aims to feature military and civilian displays and become the biggest single event in East Anglia.


:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Last edited by LN Strike Eagle on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SPG below par

Re: great yarmouth to host an airshow

Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:25 pm

Awesome stuff!, my in laws own a chalet up that way!
Last edited by rdchawk on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: great yarmouth to host an airshow

Tue 21 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm

Cant belive my luck as i have already booked that week at haven great yarmouth. Great news :yahoo: :yahoo: :cool: :rock: :smile:

Re: great yarmouth to host an airshow

Wed 22 Jun 2016, 7:04 am

westhamfan84 wrote:Cant belive my luck as i have already booked that week at haven great yarmouth. Great news :yahoo: :yahoo: :cool: :rock: :smile:


Jammy! Well done that man!
Just got to wait for my leave request to be approved, then cross my fingers they don't try and cancel it once they realise this wee event is on. Would hate to be being paid to watch. :cool:

Beccles, Ludham, and Norwich could be busy for supporting aircraft, just a shame North Denes is operational would have been great location to support any helicopter acts.

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Wed 22 Jun 2016, 8:59 am

An excellent coup for the town and it will bring something to put Great Yarmouth 'on the map'. All my family live there and so I know the area well. The one reservation I have is the dates of the show. I believe that Weston Super Mere and Welshpool are already on the same weekend, and i'm not sure but possibly Cosford too. Hopefully that wont have too much of an effect on participation. Shame it couldn't be a September date.

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:26 pm

In 2017!!!
Jeez, how will I last until then with no sleep? I awoke from a snooze earlier in a sweat. A terrible nightmare in which I had reserved a Caravan Holiday in Gt Yarmouth for this time next year.
Obviously, the option of a 'Tag' or Prison Sentence wasn't offered to me! :sad:

Re: great yarmouth to host an airshow

Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:07 pm

rdchawk wrote:Awesome stuff my in laws own a chalet up that way!


Is that Awesome, stuff my in laws, own a chalet up that way! or Awesome stuff, my in laws own a chalet up that way! ?? :grin:

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Sat 25 Jun 2016, 7:59 am

Let's eat Grandpa.

No NO STOP!!

I meant 'let's eat, Grandpa'.

'The comma, saving lives since 300BC' (ish) :-P

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Sun 26 Jun 2016, 10:58 am

Milguy22 wrote:An excellent coup for the town and it will bring something to put Great Yarmouth 'on the map'. All my family live there and so I know the area well. The one reservation I have is the dates of the show. I believe that Weston Super Mere and Welshpool are already on the same weekend, and i'm not sure but possibly Cosford too. Hopefully that wont have too much of an effect on participation. Shame it couldn't be a September date.


Cosford is down for 11th June next year. Could be a benefit to be the same weekend as Weston Super Mere and Welshpool if they share assets.

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Fri 09 Sep 2016, 9:01 am

A little bit of information, The main display line will be between the 2 piers,

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Wed 14 Sep 2016, 9:52 am

Nwalch wrote:Cosford is down for 11th June next year. Could be a benefit to be the same weekend as Weston Super Mere and Welshpool if they share assets.


Given the 200 mile distance between RAF Cosford and Great Yarmouth (even further to Welshpool or Weston-Super-Mare) I doubt there's many assets that could be shared for any reduced price, as the fuel required for the massive transit distances would be rather expensive.

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:56 am

Given that Cosford and Welshpool are being held on the 11th June and Great Yarmouth is a week later, this conversation is a little pointless!

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Thu 15 Sep 2016, 1:14 pm

clearstone wrote:Given that Cosford and Welshpool are being held on the 11th June and Great Yarmouth is a week later, this conversation is a little pointless!


:lmao:

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:10 am

Awesome news my in-laws own a mobile home between Yarmouth and Lowestoft that’s a holiday booked, evening flights with the sun behind you should prove interesting
:cool:

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Tue 31 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

According to the BBC the show is likely to be cancelled/postponed.

Final decision to be made today but it doesn't look promising.

A meeting is to be held today to decide whether the Haven Great Yarmouth Air Show will go ahead or be cancelled, or even postponed.

I received a tip-off late last week that the seafront air show, set for the 15-18 June, was going to be cancelled. Costs for public safety and counter-terrorism measures could far exceed expectations.

http://bbc.in/2jOYrGb

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Tue 31 Jan 2017, 1:14 pm

According to the EDP decision already made :(
http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/tourism ... _1_4870167

Counter terrorism is a new one though,

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:18 pm

Interesting. Would it not of been more viable as a 2 day event, maybe a Thursday and Friday along the lines of what Clacton does and build from there?

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Tue 31 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm

Possibly the worst excuse I've ever heard for an airshow to be cancelled and a really shameful way to play on the insecurities of the public in the current climate.

You have to feel for the businesses that have already contributed in some way and the hotels etc that have already taken bookings.

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Wed 01 Feb 2017, 6:55 pm

Pathetic!

I'd already booked both days off work so have been inconvenienced by this genuinely ridiculous decision.

ISIS have been a real gift to the lazy councillors here... Thank goodness for Clacton!

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Thu 02 Feb 2017, 2:13 pm

May be a MOD can edit the title to reflect the current news ?

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Sun 19 Nov 2017, 4:14 pm

Hi everyone,
I’ve heard rumours that there is to be an airshow at Great Yarmouth on 16th and 17th June 2018. Has this been officially confirmed? Rumours in the past concerning Lowestoft and Yarmouth airshows have usually led to disappointment. Lowestoft airshow has been sorely missed.....I wonder if the proposed Yarmouth show will be up to the same high standard??

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Mon 20 Nov 2017, 12:31 pm

Will-o’-the-wisp4174 wrote:Hi everyone,
I’ve heard rumours that there is to be an airshow at Great Yarmouth on 16th and 17th June 2018. Has this been officially confirmed? Rumours in the past concerning Lowestoft and Yarmouth airshows have usually led to disappointment. Lowestoft airshow has been sorely missed.....I wonder if the proposed Yarmouth show will be up to the same high standard??


Hi!

Yes you are correct, 16th and 17th June, and yes, it has been officially confirmed. However it was officially confirmed for 2017 and was sadly cancelled, fingers crossed it goes ahead this time! This is the airshow website https://www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/air-show/ first flying item also already confirmed!

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Mon 20 Nov 2017, 3:05 pm

Thank you vulcanshammer.

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Thu 08 Mar 2018, 1:49 pm

Update on the show here:

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/plans-well-under-way-for-inaugural-haven-great-yarmouth-air-display-1-5425772

Only confirmed acts are:

The Wildcats aerobatics team
Army’s Tigers free-fall parachutists

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Thu 08 Mar 2018, 2:01 pm

memberinessex wrote:Update on the show here:

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/plans-well-under-way-for-inaugural-haven-great-yarmouth-air-display-1-5425772

Only confirmed acts are:

The Wildcats aerobatics team
Army’s Tigers free-fall parachutists


My only concern from this is how far out the display line will be.
Post a reply