Rhyl Airshow 2017

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
eddywinch82

Rhyl Airshow 2017

Post by eddywinch82 »

Rhyl's Airshow has been confirmed to return next year, on Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th of August, to Rhyl Seafront Denbighshire North Wales.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: Rhyl Airshow 2017

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Because its local, I keep an eye on this one. Here's the line-up for this year:

Saturday 26th August, 2017

14:00 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Dakota/Spitfire/Hurricane
14:15 Strikemaster Pair
14:35 Yak Display
14:45 Trig Aerobatics Team
15:00 Extra, High Energy Aerobatics
15:10 Griffin Fly Past
BREAK
16:30 Breitling Wing Walkers
15:45 Team Raven – Formation Aerobatic Display Team
17:05 Bronco Demo Team

Sunday 27th August, 2017

14:00 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Dakota/Spitfire/Hurricane
14:15 Yak Display
14:25 Bronco Demo Team
14:35 Trig Team
14:50 Team Raven Formation Aerobatic Display Team
15:05 Firefly Display
15:15 Griffin Fly Past
BREAK
16:35 Breitling Wing Walkers
16:55 Strikemaster Pair
17:30 Red Arrows Aerobatic Display Team

I'm trying my best not to moan about the silly break, as its a better effort on paper than last year. Hoping that Sunny Rhyl is under blue skies on August bank holiday weekend :-)

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

definitely not looking too bad... and gives ample time to go Mold market on the saturday morning! :lol:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Shyft87 wrote:definitely not looking too bad... and gives ample time to go Mold market on the saturday morning! :lol:

If you are doing Mold market, then get to Hulson's Butchers on Wrexham Street, for a top pork pie. :smile:

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Shyft87 wrote:definitely not looking too bad... and gives ample time to go Mold market on the saturday morning! :lol:

If you are doing Mold market, then get to Hulson's Butchers on Wrexham Street, for a top pork pie. :smile:

I was thinking the 'orchard pigs' stall on the market for a pie, but why not both...it's not like there's anything particularly edible in rhyl :lol:

banksy

Post by banksy »

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight cancelled for this weekend due to the ongoing Grounding issue.

Not the best of luck for Rhyl as the show is looking light enough this year. Needed a typhoon to liven it up as too many light acts on the bill really.
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Yeah it hadn't occurred to me until now that the Dakota is grounded too.

Rhyl sort of is what it is - an afternoon on the beach with added flying. Its a shame the Typhoon has yet to be allocated to Rhyl, as the event did get the Tornado role demo a few short years ago, but I suppose its a busy weekend on the calendar for clashes, not least Dunsfold.

Weather forecast looks decent for the weekend anyway.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

What a fantastic free Airshow at Rhyl, both days. A superb full display, by the Red Arrows to conclude proceedings today, unrestricted over the sea. A memorable Rhyl Airshow in my opinion, I was really disappointed the BBMF had to cancel both days. But all the displays were exemplary, I was really thrilled to see the Yak 3, excellent solo display, seemed closer today too.

I have not seen this particular one before, and accompanied, by the lovely sound of the Allison engine. Was a highlight for me, also pleased to see the Strikemaster pair yesterday, and an excellent noisy solo display today, by Mark Petrie, and Rod Dean's display in the Slingsby Firefly, was very good, quite a scoop for Rhyl. So many highlights, i.e. Bronco and Team Raven too. So thankyou so much to the Organizers, for organizing such an excellent Airshow ! I thoroughly enjoyed it, really good weather, and the commentary was good too. Here is to next year, and roll on Southport ! :biggrin:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I admire your enthusiasm Eddy!.. and don't get me wrong it was decent day out, but I think you may be over egging the pudding slightly! The Yak-3 was very distant on Sunday, if Saturday was further away still you'd be lucky to get a decent view of the aeroplane.

I did think the Bronco display was very very good, the Breitling Wingwalkers were great value, the Griffin a rarity and the Reds, well, doing what they do so well. The weather although warm didn't show most acts off particularly well, and the tide times this year didn't help; with the beach out of bounds the prom was heaving. But that's all out of the organisers' control.

Hopefully next year with the absence of much else in north Wales the RAF will give the event its full support for their centenary year.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Hi Wrexham Mackem, your right, the Airshow certainly wasn't Fantastic. I have been to much better Airshows, more worthy of being called that. It was very good for a free Airshow, and I agree much better than last years Airshow.

The Yak 3 display was distant on the Sunday, but a vast improvement on Saturdays display. There were some fairly close passes, and one topside. Far out to sea on Saturday for the majority of the display, but a nice addition to the program nevertheless. I had such a great time, I used emotive words. Hopefully the number of display items will grow, as the years progress. Excellent pictures you posted, on this forum by the way.

Regards Eddie