Dawlish Airshow 2017 [Cancelled]

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
PeterR

Dawlish Airshow 2017 [Cancelled]

Post by PeterR »

News posted on the Dawlish Airshow website this morning... :sad:

It is with much sadness that the Dawlish Air Show committee must announce that there wont be a Dawlish Air Show in 2017.

The committee has been working tirelessly to find sufficient funding to enable the air show to go ahead next year, but that search has failed to accrue any significant monies or donations.

The committee was extremely disappointed to fail in its search for funding for a free event run by volunteers that brings around 100,000 visitors in to the area and as a result significantly benefits businesses in Dawlish and other local communities.

Full Story; http://dawlishairshow.co.uk/newindex/da ... show-2017/

Brevet Cable

Re: Dawlish Airshow 2017 [Cancelled]

Post by Brevet Cable »

The committee was extremely disappointed to fail in its search for funding for a free event run by volunteers that brings around 100,000 visitors in to the area and as a result significantly benefits businesses in Dawlish and other local communities.[/b]

Or in other words, local businesses are happy to profit from it but are too tight-fisted to contribute towards it.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Absolutely right there BC. Having had a year out last year I would have hoped that local commerce would have felt the hit and be only too happy to encourage the event's return.

Many visitors were equally mean, if the average crowd donation per head was worked out. I don't know how people do it on a clean conscience personally.

A big shame its gone. I count myself lucky to have experienced Dawlish from hill above the Smugglers at least once. It was a spectacle, and a special event.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

A real, genuine shame for the county and the town.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Agreed. The buzz I felt from the crowd was always wonderful in Dawlish and as I've said before the Red Arrows arrival is particularly special here. I only attended the last 3 Dawlish shows but will not forget the Typhoon ripping up the coastline, the 2 Lancaster's and the Vulcan as a last minute attendee in its last season. I do hope it gets the support it deserves again and we see it back in 2018 and beyond.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Presumably even if it came back and even though the hill behind the Smugglers is private land it would be in an exclusion zone making other vantage points not worth the 500 mile trip and cost?

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Brevet Cable wrote:Or in other words, local businesses are happy to profit from it but are too tight-fisted to contribute towards it.

Like most things these days. Businesses want to reap the benefits with no expenditure.!

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

The problem with Dawlish was the fact that many people just happened to be there on holiday or just on a day trip.Many people would just think great, a free airshow to watch and not realise(or care) it was only sponsorships and donations that kept it going.The donations were for the following years show so many people maybe thought why should we donate when we probably won't be back next year to see it.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Or in other words, local businesses are happy to profit from it but are too tight-fisted to contribute towards it.

Like most things these days. Businesses want to reap the benefits with no expenditure.!

Speaking as a business owner, those remarks are incredibly unfair and stereotypical. Many businesses put in money they can ill afford towards different events, even if the benefit is marginal.

I would suggest that it has more to do with the presence of the Torbay event, which is being backed up by a significant amount of public money which could -and should, in my view- be used for more beneficial reasons.