Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Postby Chopper81 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 3:59 pm

Tilney.G wrote:
Zoom wrote:At the end of the day it's an event intended for the general public not plane enthusiasts

Exactly! Go to RIAT if you want to see fast jets all day long! I'm sure if you ask most of the general public they'd say it was a good day as the comments on Facebook suggest. And I'd say there were certainly some things there for the plane enthusiasts too!

Touch of selective reading maybe? And that's for both sides :tumbleweed:
Chopper81

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 5:07 pm

Mr Tilney,

are you one of the punters that follows 'Crispy' Bacon's dictats to wave yer hats, coats, ice creams whatever you have to hand the pilots can see you etc? :lol:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby Tilney.G on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:26 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:Mr Tilney,

are you one of the punters that follows 'Crispy' Bacon's dictats to wave yer hats, coats, ice creams whatever you have to hand the pilots can see you etc? :lol:

Yes actually :biggrin: I'm one of those who goes and enjoys an airshow, whatever is there! George is very much suited to a seaside show like Bournemouth and a pleasant man to chat to. He certainly has a lot of knowledge to.

Nothing wrong with some ice cream waving :wave: :icecream:
Tilney.G

Postby Reds Rolling on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:06 pm

I think the show's lineup in general was poor this year, which is why I didn't attend, but then what shows don't have bad years?

One thing I've seen that did look good was the evening flying display, where if you're lucky enough to get a good sunset, then the light is fantastic.

Perhaps the organisers should look at making the Thurs and Friday shows more evening orientated and do away with the afternoon flying altogether on those days?

Also, getting some foreign air arm fast jet on board early doors would be a bonus, especially if they lose out on the RAF assets again next year. :smile:
Reds Rolling

Postby The Baron on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:35 pm

For a seaside show, particularly of Bournemouth's scale just getting a decent, varied line up would have been a bonus. There is still much to choose from without making it almost identical to Torbay, Southport or Scampton.
There should be no need for international support (regardless of how welcome it would be) with a potential line up that could be achieved with UK assets.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:59 pm

The Baron wrote:For a seaside show, particularly of Bournemouth's scale just getting a decent, varied line up would have been a bonus. There is still much to choose from without making it almost identical to Torbay, Southport or Scampton.

I have to disagree because I genuinely think there is not too many aircraft to choose from for air displays nowadays. I'd love to think what others believe is available for airshows this year.

There is reduced RAF participation at airshows and many clearly missed the Typhoon this year.
In terms of classic jets it is a very sad state of affairs as we only have the Norwegian Airforce Historic Flight, and the Strikemaster and JP displaying, which again Bournemouth had this year.
Warbirds perhaps are thriving with so many new restorations and Bournemouth had a lot this year with Sally B, Blenheim, Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang and Buchon.

Perhaps the issue is that TSA Consulting organises a lot of shows, therefore they build relationships with the aircraft operators and some of their shows end up a bit same-y?
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby StevieS on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 7:16 am

So given that the organiser has no control over the allocation of military display assets to the event and can only invite them, and any foreign military displays to participate, what else could/should they have done to enhance their line-up? There has also been much debate on date clashes! Bournemouth has always been either the weekend before or the weekend after the August Bank Holiday. Eastbourne moved back a week this year onto what would probably have been Bournemouth's chosen weekend so Bournemouth had to move to the weekend after the BH, thereby causing the clash with Ayr and Portrush. Bournemouth has successfully been that weekend several times in the past 10 years, but before Ayr started. Bournemouth has also happily shared dates and assets in the past with Shoreham, Rhyl and Dawlish, but that was a lot easier as they were a lot closer. Apparently it seems that Ayr and Portrush could not/would not move to deconflict from Bournemouth, particularly with Scampton now entering the mix! So not sure what the long-term solution might be!
StevieS

Postby Aviation94 on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 7:34 am

Reds Rolling wrote:
Perhaps the organisers should look at making the Thurs and Friday shows more evening orientated and do away with the afternoon flying altogether on those days?

I think this is a very good idea. :clap: Very sanicole-esk. Perhaps this would overcome the issue with the gaps in the weekends flying too by "reserving" some of the acts for the weekend.

This is the first year I didn't go due to nothing wetting my appetite. The only thing I might have gone down for was the Blenheim & Sally B formation. Apart from that nothing special.

Looking back at the first few air festivals they were great with lots of different bits flying (I vaguely remember a DC6 at the first one?!). I know times have changed and recent events including things along the coast haven't helped but for an "anniversary show" and the biggest and best one ever (as was advertised) this was poor.
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed
Aviation94

Postby mrshu on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 8:01 am

Great to hear so many views on this years Air Festival. In the ten years that the show has been running it's a fact that air shows have been under pressure like never before In fact several are no more as a direct result. Post Shoreham for a start, as well as far fewer assets available from the military. What is very clear this year is that the Royal Navy pulled out at the last minute letting the organisers down massively. Nothing could be done to replace the normally excellent beach assault! It's going to be a battle in future to bring the Typhoon display team if other shows are competing for them on the same day. Bournemouth "has to have" some impressive fast jets even if it's only the Typhoon. From the beach, most folk were simply going about their normal business with several of the displays this year, a bit like having music playing in the background! The GWDT are superb at small venues and Old Sarum particularly stands out where you get close to these amazing aircraft on the ground and see them close up at a venue with a very short display line, but they were just dots in the background for many on the beaches. Bearing in mind that the display line is now further away post Shoreham. The wing walkers used to come with four stearman aircraft a decade ago but this year just one. It didn't work in the same way. We can't get away from the fact that the Vulcan, Sea Vixen, Hunter and Canberra are gone and cannot be replaced, but it definitely needs a boost and more luck with the BBMF, Typhoon and Royal Navy for next year. Serious food for thought by the organisers who now have to bring the event back to its best again. Regardless of what the local papers / commentators/ pundits have been saying by telling us all how good it was this year, deep down they all know like "most" of us that improvements are needed! There isn't a simple answer, times have changed therefore it'll be very hard to get it back to its best.
mrshu

Postby StevieS on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 8:35 am

They had obviously been allocated the BBMF for all 4 days, but were thwarted by the grounding. I believe they also had the Sea Vixen booked for 3 days and the Swordfish for all 4 days, again, thwarted by the situation with Navy Wings. The Wingwalkers, with their sponsorship and directives from Breitling seem to spend more of their time in mainland Europe now than at UK shows, unless you are fortunate to not clash with a Breitling event in Europe or they can provide a solo with one of their part-time crews.
StevieS

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 9:44 am

StevieS wrote:The Wingwalkers, with their sponsorship and directives from Breitling seem to spend more of their time in mainland Europe now than at UK shows, unless you are fortunate to not clash with a Breitling event in Europe or they can provide a solo with one of their part-time crews.

There was meant to be two wingwalkers, but one of them was on holiday for a hen party - info from TSA Consulting facebook page.
So again nothing Bournemouth could have done.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby sikejsudjek on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 1:40 pm

How many months (or years!) will it be before an F35 starts being displayed at airshows ? I was surprised there wasn't one at Fairford this year.
sikejsudjek

Postby Finningley Boy on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 5:13 pm

sikejsudjek wrote:How many months (or years!) will it be before an F35 starts being displayed at airshows ? I was surprised there wasn't one at Fairford this year.

I should imagine next year? Reasons, its the RAF centenary year and the aircraft should be operating from Marham. I wouldn't expect anything other than a performance handling display just as with the Typhoon in 2004, and at only a small list of venues, i.e; Fairford, Yeovilton, Cosford etc. However, given the current climate regarding UK military efforts for airshows, I wouldn't hold my breath! Likely various reasons may be found to stay out of sight or static only, oh yes we're just to busy training up the first squadron etc. You know, the kind of thing which never stood in the way in a different era. :cuppa:

I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby Reds Rolling on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 10:32 am

StevieS wrote:They had obviously been allocated the BBMF for all 4 days, but were thwarted by the grounding.

IIRC the Lancaster was only going to fly at B/mth on the Thurs and Fri before departing to Scotland anyway.

If the Ayr show is on next year, then I expect the same problems with RAF assets as this year.
Reds Rolling

Postby StevieS on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 3:51 pm

Reds Rolling wrote:
StevieS wrote:They had obviously been allocated the BBMF for all 4 days, but were thwarted by the grounding.

IIRC the Lancaster was only going to fly at B/mth on the Thurs and Fri before departing to Scotland anyway.

If the Ayr show is on next year, then I expect the same problems with RAF assets as this year.

They had Lanc/Hurri/Spit allocated for Thursday and Friday and then Dak/Hurri/Spit for the weekend. With the Lanc and all Merlin-engined fighters grounded and the Dak unserviceable again, they lost out on everything from the BBMF.
StevieS

Previous

Return to Seaside Shows