Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
clearstone

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Post by clearstone »

I don't understand why you don't think its a level playing field. The RAF Events Team have had to split RAFAT, the Typhoon, the Tutor, the BBMF and the Falcons between three different, fairly widely spaced and big seaside airshows all being held over the same weekend. Each of those airshows is important to the RAF Events Team in its own way. Bournemouth has a massive crowd and reach (though is in an area with many other major airshows - including RIAT, Yeovilton, Torbay, Weston all within a sensible driving distance) and both Northern Ireland and Scotland have very few major airshows. All three events will have bid for the full collection of RAF displays.

Ten years ago such a clash would not have been so much issue as there were more RAF displays to go around with RAFAT, BBMF, Falcons, Tucano, Tutor, Typhoon and the Role Demo.

But that's not possible these days and realistically only the BBMF can support all three events on the same weekend. The RAF Events Team have just tried to split the allocations as fairly as possible to meet their purposes of showing off the RAF to the widest possible audience.

Similarly, the decision for the F-16 to go north was perhaps in part due to the fact it will have already displayed in the UK at four different airshows this year - all south of Fairford! (Yeovilton, RIAT, Eastbourne and Biggin Hill)

StevieS

Post by StevieS »

And I suspect that Bournemouth invited a number of overseas military participants, not just the Belgians and the French. The Swiss would have been obvious after their previous participation. But, as has been said, you can only invite them, it is not a case of just booking them! And with such scarce assets these days any event is completing with events right across Europe! And often, military displays will support other military events over civilian events in the first instance in the hope of getting reciprocal support for their own events! Frustratingly, a civilian seaside venue in the UK has little to offer the Swiss or any other European military Force in return for their support!

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

clearstone wrote:I don't understand why you don't think its a level playing field. The RAF Events Team have had to split RAFAT, the Typhoon, the Tutor, the BBMF and the Falcons between three different, fairly widely spaced and big seaside airshows all being held over the same weekend. Each of those airshows is important to the RAF Events Team in its own way. Bournemouth has a massive crowd and reach (though is in an area with many other major airshows - including RIAT, Yeovilton, Torbay, Weston all within a sensible driving distance) and both Northern Ireland and Scotland have very few major airshows. All three events will have bid for the full collection of RAF displays.

Ten years ago such a clash would not have been so much issue as there were more RAF displays to go around with RAFAT, BBMF, Falcons, Tucano, Tutor, Typhoon and the Role Demo.

But that's not possible these days and realistically only the BBMF can support all three events on the same weekend. The RAF Events Team have just tried to split the allocations as fairly as possible to meet their purposes of showing off the RAF to the widest possible audience.

Similarly, the decision for the F-16 to go north was perhaps in part due to the fact it will have already displayed in the UK at four different airshows this year - all south of Fairford! (Yeovilton, RIAT, Eastbourne and Biggin Hill)

I didn't mean RAF participation per se as the Reds and BBMF (well the lanc) are flying at Bournemouth after all and to miss the Typhoon for a year is not the end of the world , I am talking about the subtle difference in line up but also overall supply of information/promotion of Bournemouth compared to the other shows that TSA run or have ran

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

TSA don't handle anything other than the management of the flying display/Aircraft operations.

The difference in line-up is simply down to what's available and what Bournemouth Borough Council want. Again the clash with other events does have a major bearing on civilian items.

Information/Promotion/Supply of Information are entirely down to Bournemouth Borough Council.

cherries

Post by cherries »

Pleased to see the addition of the Royal Navy T1 Hawks and Merlin for the Commando assault. The Jet Provost along with two strikemaster will make for possibility of interesting formation.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

I am sorry if this has already been mentioned but the Belgian F16 can do 2 displays a day such as Biggin Hill/ eastbourne and Sanicole/ RAF Scampton. Could it not do both the Scottish show at Ayr/ Pretwick and Bournemouth? the logical other choice for it to do would have been portrush but since it isn't could bournemouth still not get it? Could it not display at Ayr then fly down to Yeovilton as its base and display Bournemouth then do the reverse on sunday?

StevieS

Post by StevieS »

There is a fair bit of difference between displaying at Biggin and Eastbourne on the same day, basing out of Biggin throughout with all their engineering support in place, and suggesting displaying at Ayr and Bournemouth, which would need to include ferry flights and re-positioning engineers and ground equipment! And your suggestion supposes that Yeovilton would be open and willing to accept them! I suspect that for the Sanicole and Scampton weekend we will find that they are displaying at Sanicole on the Friday evening and on Sunday (there is no display on the Saturday), and then displaying at Scampton on the Saturday - so only one display per day!

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Just thought i'd post a current flying list so people don't need to navigate the website.

Thursday
- RAF Red Arrows
- RAF BBMF (Lancaster, Hurricane & Spitfire)
- RAF Puma flypasts
- Tigers Freefall Parachute Team
- MiG 15
- B-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally B'
- P-51D Mustang 'Shark Mouth'
- Blades Aerobatic Team
- Breitling Wingwalkers
- XtremeAir XA-41 (Gerald Cooper)
- OTTO Schweizer 300C Helicopter *Night Air*
- Red Devils Parachute Team *Night Air*
- Twister Aerobatics Team *Night Air*
Friday
- RAF Red Arrows
- RAF BBMF (Lancaster, Hurricane & Spitfire)
- RAF Chinook Display
- Beach Assault Practice - Merlin HM2 & 2x Hawk T1
- MiG 15
- P-51D Mustang 'Shark Mouth'
- Bristol Blenheim
- Blades Aerobatic Team
- Breitling Wingwalkers
Saturday
- RAF Red Arrows
- RAF BBMF (Dakota, Hurricane & Spitfire)
- Beach Assault (Merlin HM2 & 2x Hawk T1)
- 2x BAC Strikemaster
- 2x DH Vampire
- Bristol Blenheim
- Great War Display Team (10 Aircraft)
- Blades Aerobatic Team
- Breitling Wingwalkers
- Yakovlevs (2 Aircraft)
Sunday
- RAF BBMF (Dakota, Hurricane & Spitfire)
- Beach Assault (Merlin HM2 & 2x Hawk T1)
- 2x BAC Strikemaster
- Jet Provost T5
- 2x DH Vampire
- Bristol Blenheim
- Spitfire Mk.9
- Hispano HA-1112 Buchon
- Great War Display Team (10 Aircraft)
- Blades Aerobatic Team
- Breitling Wingwalkers
- Yakovlevs (4 Aircraft)

Hope this helps! :up:
Nikon D500

Fox

Post by Fox »

Does anyone know the start time for the display? I am trying to book a train down to Bournemouth and have trawled the website looking for start times so I know what time train to book ...........

Thanks

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Thursday - 1515-1650 (Flying Display 1) 1800-1920 (Flying Display 2) 2000-2045 (Night Air Flying)
Friday - 1230-1300 (RNRD Rehearsal), 1400-1710 (Flying Display) 2000-2045 (Night Air Flying)
Saturday - 1200-1604 (Flying Display inc RNRD) 2000-2045 (Night Air Flying)
Sunday - 1230-1630 (Flying Display inc RNRD)

Fox

Post by Fox »

clearstone wrote:Thursday - 1515-1650 (Flying Display 1) 1800-1920 (Flying Display 2) 2000-2045 (Night Air Flying)
Friday - 1230-1300 (RNRD Rehearsal), 1400-1710 (Flying Display) 2000-2045 (Night Air Flying)
Saturday - 1200-1604 (Flying Display inc RNRD) 2000-2045 (Night Air Flying)
Sunday - 1230-1630 (Flying Display inc RNRD)

Much appreciated - many thanks :)

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Is P-51D 'Shark Mouth' the RAF schemed one?

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Reds Rolling wrote:Is P-51D 'Shark Mouth' the RAF schemed one?

Yep :smile:

blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

Does anyone know if the BBMF is flying again after the recent engine troubles?

Also are the Red Arrows based at Bournemouth?

Thanks

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

blackgiant wrote:Does anyone know if the BBMF is flying again after the recent engine troubles?

Also are the Red Arrows based at Bournemouth?

BBMF Merlin engined aircraft are still not flying, they are only covering some events this weekend with their Griffon Spitfire PS915. Whether they will be ready for Bournemouth remains to be seen.

Red Arrows should be based at Bournemouth like always, for their timings you can use this: https://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/displays/re ... ansits.cfm

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

StevieS wrote:There is a fair bit of difference between displaying at Biggin and Eastbourne on the same day, basing out of Biggin throughout with all their engineering support in place, and suggesting displaying at Ayr and Bournemouth, which would need to include ferry flights and re-positioning engineers and ground equipment! And your suggestion supposes that Yeovilton would be open and willing to accept them! I suspect that for the Sanicole and Scampton weekend we will find that they are displaying at Sanicole on the Friday evening and on Sunday (there is no display on the Saturday), and then displaying at Scampton on the Saturday - so only one display per day!

The F16 is displaying at Scampton on Saturday and also at Kleine Brogel Spotters Day just down the road from Sanicole the same day.

Ayr to Bournemouth straight line 347miles
Scampton to KB 297 miles

So it could've been done, never mind maybe next year!! :lmao:

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

But for Scampton/Sanicole, the F-16 is operating out of its home base at Kleine Brogel where is there is always support. That makes a big difference as it only has to deploy one support crew to one event away from home. (ie Scampton)

To support Ayr and Bournemouth would require two lots support crew from KB to go to two ends of the UK. The Belgian Air Force F-16 Team support European airshows incredibly well (the UK in particular), but they do have limited numbers of displays they can perform at and limited resources to do so.

blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

Many thanks for the BBMF update and Red Arrows link

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Ever wondered what the view is like from the jump seat of the Mk1 Bristol Blenheim?!

Next we weekend we are planning on going live from the flight deck, via our Instagram account, throughout our display at the Bournemouth Air Festival.

To make sure you don't miss out on seeing the show from the pilot's prospective, click the link below and hit the Follow button!

https://www.instagram.com/aircraftrestorationcompany/

#engineeredtoinspire

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/aircraftrestorationcompany/photos/pcb.829975947159074/829972563826079/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Tilney.G wrote:3:52 pm Vampire Blue

Why not just write Vampire pair? Am I missing something? :dunno:

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

I don't know the reason or story behind the name, but they used 'Vampire Blue' as their call sign at both Clacton and Dunsfold.

keety

Post by keety »

I'm seriously considering not bothering this year... been every year with the family and I'm not sure I can be arsed... the aircraft are the only thing that makes the crowds bareable... and with this years completly uninspiring lineup I might just take the kids over to studland and spend the day snorkelling and watching the odd speck on the horizon instead...

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Feel the same way. Not even the 6 ship vintage jet formation on Sunday is tempting me to go down given the types involved.

cherries

Post by cherries »

I see the BBMF have pulled out completely now from the festival yet the website has added a Spitfire on Thurs and Friday. Can anyone confirm if this is the Griffon engine spit from BBMF? It could also be the Spit and Hurricane from Biggin Hill for Sat and Sun ? Blenheim is now added to Thursday.

StevieS

Post by StevieS »

I believe it is a civilian Spitfire Mk IX added in for Thursday and Friday and then the Hurricane from Biggin Hill for the weekend. :clap: