Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
MC hammer

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Post by MC hammer »

The Belgian F-16 has not been to Eastbourne for a while but I'm pretty sure they used Manston.

Raf fast jets have used Biggin Hill over the last few years.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

skidd40 wrote:So is it just them ? As it ever been a consideration for Dutch or typhoon do you know ?

The Dutch F-16 had no problems using Bournemouth Airport in 2010, and the Typhoons use it every year they display there.

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

Reds Rolling wrote:
skidd40 wrote:So is it just them ? As it ever been a consideration for Dutch or typhoon do you know ?

The Dutch F-16 had no problems using Bournemouth Airport in 2010, and the Typhoons use it every year they display there.

Yes indeed hence my question

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/air_festival/news/15340740.Prepare_for_take_off__The_10th_Bournemouth_Air_Festival_is_set_to_launch/

This years air festival is due to be launched this next week. Hopefully they'll announce some more acts as at the moment the line is ... dare I say it a bit boring? (The usual suspects and the such).

For a 10th anniversary you'd expect something a bit special but at the moment it's looking a bit dull. (and before anyone says, yes I know it's a free show :hide: )
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Aviation94 wrote:http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/air_festival/news/15340740.Prepare_for_take_off__The_10th_Bournemouth_Air_Festival_is_set_to_launch/

This years air festival is due to be launched this next week. Hopefully they'll announce some more acts as at the moment the line is ... dare I say it a bit boring? (The usual suspects and the such).

For a 10th anniversary you'd expect something a bit special but at the moment it's looking a bit dull. (and before anyone says, yes I know it's a free show :hide: )

I've lived in Bournemouth for all my 18 years and I have always had a soft spot for the show and when others have slated it, I have (through gritted teeth) defended the show. However, this year I can simply not - at the moment it is truly a disaster and i'll state why I think that in listed points:
- I FB messaged them 3 times and each time got an automated response ('Someone will be in touch shortly, blah blah blah) - No response
- I then emailed them twice, again - no response.
- All they seem to post on their social media accounts is the music acts being confirmed and the odd changes to the website, but barely any aircraft related posts
- It's the 10th anniversary, and so far it's looking very bare and basic, not what you would expect from a team that are always emphasizing the 10th anniversary and how it will be a special show
- It's now June, with just over 2 months to go, and by my calculations the show only has around 90minutes worth of display acts, unless there is going to be the usual 20 minute gap between acts... :wall:
- Similarly to the point above, the Sanicole Airshow (Belgium) is a week after Bournemouth, is also civilian run and has most European fast jets, and all of its acts confirmed now - also has excellent PR, unlike Bmth.

I could list more but I won't - I think you get the picture.

I just think that the show is, at the moment, a shambles. If the team are going to really pull it off this year, they are going to have to work quickly, and get some really decent acts confirmed - not the same old acts that total around 1h30. I often compare the show to Eastbourne, and as it stands, there just is no competition.

Hopefully, the tables will turn and it will improve, but when music acts seem to be the main focus, it just makes my blood boil

Rant over...
Nikon D500

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

Harvo266 wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/air_festival/news/15340740.Prepare_for_take_off__The_10th_Bournemouth_Air_Festival_is_set_to_launch/

I've lived in Bournemouth for all my 18 years and I have always had a soft spot for the show and when others have slated it, I have (through gritted teeth) defended the show. However, this year I can simply not - at the moment it is truly a disaster and i'll state why I think that in listed points:
- I FB messaged them 3 times and each time got an automated response ('Someone will be in touch shortly, blah blah blah) - No response
- All they seem to post on their social media accounts is the music acts being confirmed and the odd changes to the website, but barely any aircraft related posts
- It's the 10th anniversary, and so far it's looking very bare and basic, not what you would expect from a team that are always emphasizing the 10th anniversary and how it will be a special show
- It's now June, with just over 2 months to go, and by my calculations the show only has around 90minutes worth of display acts, unless there is going to be the usual 20 minute gap between acts... :wall:
- Similarly to the point above, the Sanicole Airshow (Belgium) is a week after Bournemouth, is also civilian run and has most European fast jets, and all of its acts confirmed now - also has excellent PR, unlike Bmth.

I just think that the show is, at the moment, a shambles. If the team are going to really pull it off this year, they are going to have to work quickly, and get some really decent acts confirmed - not the same old acts that total around 1h30. I often compare the show to Eastbourne, and as it stands, there just is no competition.

Hopefully, the tables will turn and it will improve, but when music acts seem to be the main focus, it just makes my blood boil

Rant over...

Couldn't agree more with this post. It's a shame as the potential for the airshow is massive, oversea, great big bay to display in, big but not busy airport 2 mins away from take off!! They have gone away from airshow to music festival unfortunately. :wall:

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

Well the air festival was launched today.

No real major announcements apart from the following:

- According to this video (https://youtu.be/_LIT4hLqUFU) on the Thursday their's going to be 3 display slots (3-5.30pm, 6-7.30pm & 8-8.45pm). Am I right in thinking they've just shoved the display timings on a couple of hours and tried to pull a fast one into making people think the Thursday will be longer?

- The red arrows are going to be displaying at 6pm rather than the usual afternoon slot which is apparently more special?! :dunno:

- The sunday has a special "vintage" theme?

Until anything special is announced flying-wise I think I'll be giving this year a miss. :sad:
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Chopper81 wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:

Rant over...

Couldn't agree more with this post. It's a shame as the potential for the airshow is massive, oversea, great big bay to display in, big but not busy airport 2 mins away from take off!! They have gone away from airshow to music festival unfortunately. :wall:
Its the future, airshows being replaced by music festivals :sad:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

AIRCRAFT UPDATE 10/7:
- Bristol Blenheim
- Yakovlevs
Nikon D500

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Moan,Moan,Moan.Its free and no one is forcing anyone to go.
Try and organise an airshow and see how far you get.

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

jules48 wrote:Moan,Moan,Moan.Its free and no one is forcing anyone to go.
Try and organise an airshow and see how far you get.

Have you? :whistle:

jules48

Post by jules48 »

No,but I organise events and conferences for large corporations and know how difficult it is.

sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

I've attended most years, but it is looking a bit bleak on the display front. Not sure I'll bother this time.

I hope they sort out the music venues with better protection from the sea. I attended the Travis concert last year to watch the bizarre spectacle of them performing 'Driftwood' with seaweed drifting past me in the crowd as the tide came in ! Kaiser chiefs got cancelled as the storm whipped up the waves further into the venue and the coast guard were deployed to the right of the stage, and ended up grabbing someone floating out to sea. That's a first for a gig I've been to !

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Harvo266 wrote:

Rant over...

You mention Eastbourne, well that's my local show and I feel the same way about that.
Admittedly I'm only interested in modern military and the photos I can get from Beachy Head but the line up this year is a very tired one in my view. Yes there is the Typhoon and Belgian F-16(TBC), which normally don't come anywhere near Beachy Head but the ever popular Chinook is down to one day this year.

I don't know how the organizers go about booking acts, whether cost is a factor in getting the same acts year after year or if the Chinook only doing one day is down to them or Eastbourne.
I wondered for years why they never got the RN Black Cats, then they did, but for only one year. Again that may be them declining rather than Eastbourne not asking.

However, I think the main issue is there simply are not the variety of acts available to book these days. Over the last decade, the Eastbourne crowds have seen a SAR demos from RAF & RN Sea Kings, Tucano, King Air, Chinook, Vulcan, Tornado and Hawk role demos, Harriers, Army Lynx, Canberra, C-130 fly bys, Dutch and Belgian SAR demos with AB-412 and Sea Kings respectively. Some of these have done Eastbourne several times. They were unlucky that the promised Belgian NH-90 SAR display cancelled a couple of years ago.

So, Red Arrows and BBMF apart, the RAF contribution to the 2017 air show scene is a Typhoon, Chinook and Tutor, so apart from the Tutor, which normally does come, there is nothing left to book, so it is difficult to see where the organizers can improve the line up. How long the Thursday show can last I don't know, as nothing that took my interest came last year and nothing is due this year, the best items tend to come from Friday onwards, so I will give Thursday a miss, despite living only 15 minutes away and leave it to the holidaymakers and pensioners.

cherries

Post by cherries »

Current Participation:-

Red Arrows
Chinnook
BBMF Lancaster
BBMF Spitfire
BBMF Hurricane
BBMF Dakota
Puma
P51 Mustang
B17 Sally B
SpitfireIX
Hispano HA1112 Buchon
Strikemaster x 2
Bristol Blenheim
Hawker Sea Fury (TBC)
Blades
Twister team
The Great War display team
Vampire x 2
Mig 15
Yakolevs x 6
Xtreme Air
Schweitzer Otto
Red Devil's
Army tigers

So this is the current line up. No modern military fast jets! No Modern Royal Navy assets, No Typhoon. Why?
With a fast jet or two this would have been a very good line up.
My understanding was Czech airforce gripen was and is available. Sea Vixen would have attended if serviceable.
The F16 Belgium airforce could have been booked. I think it all comes down to money. I'm not sure the sponsorship is there this year. Is the music side of the festival draining resource ? The change in weekend certainly had an impact on Typhoon and a fourth display by Reds.

What's your thoughts??? The future of the festival?

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Whats the obsession with jets, i'm loving the look of the line up!

cherries

Post by cherries »

I agree the line up is not too bad but it could have done with a fast jet. Still time for additions but needs sponsorship

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

cherries wrote:The F16 Belgium airforce could have been booked. I think it all comes down to money.

AFAIK, from what TomG/PeterR/Other orgainisers have said, you cannot "book" a foreign aircraft and they don't cost anything. So your statement is false.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Firstly it's Belgian Air Force. Not Belgium Air Force. Belgium is the country which the Belgian Air Force is designed to serve. It's a bit like saying the France Air Force, or Germany Air Force.
Secondly, MC Hammer, there most definitely is the variety of displays out there - just look at what both Bray and Jersey get. I admit that the CAA scupper things like the SWAFHF but them aside the line ups are like nothing you'll see anywhere else. In contrast Bournemouth, Eastbourne, Torbay, Southport and Scampton all have very similar line ups with the same aircraft appearing at most if not all these shows.
So no, it's not lack of variety, it's down to organisers who hope to get the most displays for the least money, and hope they get allocated a bit of modern military support.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

The Baron wrote:Firstly it's Belgian Air Force. Not Belgium Air Force. Belgium is the country which the Belgian Air Force is designed to serve. It's a bit like saying the France Air Force, or Germany Air Force.

Belgian Air Component actually... :whistle:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

ted633 wrote:
The Baron wrote:Firstly it's Belgian Air Force. Not Belgium Air Force. Belgium is the country which the Belgian Air Force is designed to serve. It's a bit like saying the France Air Force, or Germany Air Force.

Belgian Air Component actually... :whistle:

Fair point, although the F-16 quite clearly states Belgian Air Force on its wings - I don't think they've ever really accepted being downgraded to an Air Component. Either way, my point still stands!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

For me, the lineup is actually looking quite nice but I just feel like it needs one fast jet just to complete it. If the French Air Force Rafale was booked, I would class the show as one of the best in years, but after speaking to the Rafale pilot, they weren't even invited to the show, which for me should have been done. Time will tell but with 4 weeks till the show, I can't see anything major being confirmed.
Nikon D500

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

If only life was that simple. I'm sure Bournemouth would love to have international military participation again, but they can only bid for it from the various Minisitries of Defence/Air Arms. As it stands, the Rafale is attending a fairly large seaside airshow in its own country that weekend.

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

clearstone wrote:If only life was that simple. I'm sure Bournemouth would love to have international military participation again, but they can only bid for it from the various Minisitries of Defence/Air Arms. As it stands, the Rafale is attending a fairly large seaside airshow in its own country that weekend.

But i think it is the frustration caused by the line up by the other TSA organised flying shows , you would have though that being the record breaking single day attendance show, Bournemouth would have the gravitas or at least a level playing field http://www.tsaconsulting.co.uk/

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

The French AF have a big show at home, RAF is supporting upnorth in Scotland, as is the Belgian F-16. The Czechs are busy at home with the Czech International Air Fest at Hradec Kralove so you can scratch those from your wishlist too.

Also, just because a certain military performer is "free" (as in not scheduled to appear somewhere) doesn't necessarily mean they are available to attend. The number of Belgian F-16 displays is limited, so if there is a weekend without an allocation, it still wouldn't be able to attend as long as the full number of displays allowed in a season was allocated.