Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Postby K213 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 5:11 am

BBC weather app shows heavy rain from 10.00am - therefore would bringing the start time forward (if that is the plan) actually make much difference ?
K213

Postby Adie1980 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:25 am

Comet102 wrote:It looks like the weather is going to affect the show tomorrow.

Judging by the commentary from tonight's night show they are thinking about moving the show forward to 12pm.

The only reason they're saying this is to desperately try and keep people in the town for a few more hours in the hope that something will be flying, whilst spending money in the local economy etc.
Nothing will fly today, I guarantee
Attending Yeovilton Air Day 2018, RIAT 2018, FIA 2018 & Bournemouth Air Festival 2018
Adie1980

Postby mrshu on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:38 am

Regardless of today's weather it's fair to say that for a number of reasons this year's show was definitely not the best. Having grabbed a perfect spot for the beach assault yesterday, I'm still waiting for it! The pirates clearly lost their boat and didn't turn up! They'd have won the battle if they had as the marines with their landing craft stayed in Hamworthy and the Royal Navy had forgotten to deploy any ships! It just didn't happen despite huge crowds around the main arena. The Reds were superb as usual, but after that the shortest ever Saturday displays were clearly "not turning many heads" on the beach with most people just trying to top up their sun tans for one last time this year. The wing walkers were one aircraft short, the Blades left their 4th aircraft at home, while the Yakolevs were only going to offer a full four ship display today in the rain! Yes it was a great effort by the organisers who were no doubt let down very late on by the Navy and Air Force. Let's not mention the Typhoons that spent five days at Bournemouth last week! For some, they would say they got their dates mixed up!!!! Didn't we miss that Typhoon display! Fingers crossed that "post Shoreham" things will get back to normal next year and the show that we all remember during previous superb years returns.
mrshu

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:50 am

Looking at dates next year, it could well fall on 30th Aug - 2nd Sept, so possibly a chance they'll lose out on assets again if there's another show in Scotland around that time.
Reds Rolling

Postby Chopper81 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:51 am

The poor show has nothing to do with Shoreham, the biggest problem is changing the air show weekend so the council could make the most money out of a bank holiday weekend and the "AirFest" the following weekend!!! The commentary team still carry on about how the "AirFest" is the biggest and best free air show in the U.K.....WHAT!!! :lmao:
When even the general public (friends and family members and people sat around us who don't do aviation) say it's boring, nothing worth coming down to see other than the reds, the amount of people who left by 2 was shocking and a 4 hour display with around 1.5 hours of gaps!!
How can the organisers feel they have delivered this year is laughable
Chopper81

Postby lambo17841 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 9:14 am

Posted on Bournemouth group page todays flying display cancelled due to weather conditions.

John in Seaford
lambo17841

Postby wv383 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 9:40 am

mrshu wrote:Regardless of today's weather it's fair to say that for a number of reasons this year's show was definitely not the best. Having grabbed a perfect spot for the beach assault yesterday, I'm still waiting for it! The pirates clearly lost their boat and didn't turn up! They'd have won the battle if they had as the marines with their landing craft stayed in Hamworthy and the Royal Navy had forgotten to deploy any ships! It just didn't happen despite huge crowds around the main arena. The Reds were superb as usual, but after that the shortest ever Saturday displays were clearly "not turning many heads" on the beach with most people just trying to top up their sun tans for one last time this year. The wing walkers were one aircraft short, the Blades left their 4th aircraft at home, while the Yakolevs were only going to offer a full four ship display today in the rain! Yes it was a great effort by the organisers who were no doubt let down very late on by the Navy and Air Force. Let's not mention the Typhoons that spent five days at Bournemouth last week! For some, they would say they got their dates mixed up!!!! Didn't we miss that Typhoon display! Fingers crossed that "post Shoreham" things will get back to normal next year and the show that we all remember during previous superb years returns.

One of The Blades aircraft had a technical problem and the Wingwalkers was only ever going to be a singleton. All the publicity leading up to the show clearly stated "Wingwalker" singular as did their own social media pages.
Simon
wv383

Postby Steve888 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 9:43 am

I don't think the Blades had a technical problem - Ben Murphy is away competing in the Red Bull Air Race in Porto this weekend.

wv383 wrote:One of The Blades aircraft had a technical problem and the Wingwalkers was only ever going to be a singleton. All the publicity leading up to the show clearly stated "Wingwalker" singular as did their own social media pages.
Steve888

Postby Tilney.G on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 9:47 am

Blimey, what a bunch of moaning, grumpy people :hide:

It's been a really enjoyable 3 days. There was certainly no big gaps in the flying yesterday and although it was maybe a slightly weaker line up there were plenty on the cliffs enjoying it.
The GWDT looked super over the bay and it was nice to see the B17/Blenheim formation.

Shame about the weather today but I think Bournemouth put on another good show.
Tilney.G

Postby jules48 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:34 am

Typhoon was at Scottish Airshow and N.Ireland but went tech with fuel issue anyway.Most people know in advance what is displaying so why go and then complain afterwards.Its free for god's sake
jules48

Postby Adie1980 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 1:47 pm

Tilney.G wrote:Blimey, what a bunch of moaning, grumpy people :hide:

It's been a really enjoyable 3 days. There was certainly no big gaps in the flying yesterday and although it was maybe a slightly weaker line up there were plenty on the cliffs enjoying it.
The GWDT looked super over the bay and it was nice to see the B17/Blenheim formation.

There was about a 45 minute gap between the beach assault and Great War display team actually! Then about 20 minutes of waiting around for the Tigers parachute team
Attending Yeovilton Air Day 2018, RIAT 2018, FIA 2018 & Bournemouth Air Festival 2018
Adie1980

Postby Stagger2 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 2:59 pm

The 45 minute 'gap' was scheduled in my list of performers. The delay in the Tigers drop was attributed to Commercial air-traffic activity at Bournemouth International, the only airport in the Country that requires an 'anti-cobweb runway sweep' before each arrival!
The cynical side of me says Bournemouth Air has exhausted it's options & has become economically stale. Clearly there was nothing on the list to remotely excite the seasoned enthusiast, but take average Joe & family. They have to be in-place by midday for the Reds & the half-arsed boat-less/ rib-devoid beach assault! (those RN. Hawks were more like annoying flies round a turd!) Then a 45 minute break. Then a totally disjointed afternoon display that for all the known reasons seemed that even the performers were just going through the motions & couldn't be arsed to turn-up?... 3 Blades doing a 'box-bend', 1 Wingwalker constantly referred to in the plural, only 2 Yakovlevs, & a single merlin in a Hurricane you could just hear, but barely see!
Then wait again 4.25 hours 'til Otto, Twisters & more parachutists display for 30 minutes, then wait another 1'5 hours 'til the Grand Firework Finale a 22:00. That's more like an aptitude test for the SAS! Certainly not geared to your core family audience?
Yeah! I chose to go there, but never again. That display line was closer to Jersey! :mad:
Stagger2

Postby Tilney.G on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 3:06 pm

Adie1980 wrote:

There was about a 45 minute gap between the beach assault and Great War display team actually! Then about 20 minutes of waiting around for the Tigers parachute team

That was clearly stated in the schedule. Afternoon flying began at 1:30 with the GWDT?!?! Obviously minus the Reds who did a midday performance.

Stagger2 wrote: 3 Blades doing a 'box-bend', 1 Wingwalker constantly referred to in the plural, only 2 Yakovlevs, & a single merlin in a Hurricane you could just hear, but barely see!

As mentioned 3 blades couldn't be helped with the pilot away and what's wrong with 2 yaks? That's what was scheduled and that's what appeared!
Tilney.G

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 4:40 pm

The aircraft participation at Bournemouth this year was pretty much identical to any other seaside show, unfortunately that's the way UK airshows are at the moment. There is a tiny pool of aircraft to choose from for shows nowadays.

Not getting allocated the Typhoon is not really the fault of the organisers, they tried their best but unfortunately the show this year clashes with others.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby Finningley Boy on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 6:24 pm

Exactly Jakub,

another thing, I've read in the RAF news today that five training types are to be replaced over the next two years or so. Babcock and Lockheed Martin are mentioned, I can't quite recall the actual wording, but there was an attempt to avoid plain speaking that the dreaded PFI is across the board here. So in future the RAF will be under scrutiny from civilian commerce to watch and see, certainly, that no Tankers, Transports or Trainers of any shape or form make their way aloft before a crowd of spectators anywhere. Unless of course its something like the airbus folk tossing the A400M around at Fairford/Farnborough and all. :sick:

Meanwhile, in the RAF's centenary year, unless the air staff take leaf out of the book of past air staffs and give permission for the Tornado to fly a round of swansong displays next year, and who knows, perhaps a performance handling display at select events by the F-35B which should be safely ensconced at Marham by May next year, then....its going to be the same scarce menu. :tumbleweed:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby GazBOH on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 6:33 pm

It's appears that display organisers pick their dates without regard (or is it arrogance) to what others are planning. Why, in such tough times aren't they working together to ensure that shows don't over lap.

With Bournemouth already announcing next year and I'm sure SIA soon to follow, there's a high probability the shows will overlap again next year, causing another fight for display assets. It's a ridiculous situation.
GazBOH

Postby sikejsudjek on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:53 pm

Looks like we're not alone judging from the comments in the local paper. Lots of moans about the lack of 'noisy jets' !
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... ef=mr&lp=1

Despite the up beat headline - obvious from the comments that the locals weren't impressed with the line up - or the lack of stalls and bands. In fact the entire festival was a shadow of last years from every perspective. One of the comments suggested the council didn't have a major sponsor and were charging too much for the stalls? I have no idea if that's true, but if so it might explain some of the problems.

I enjoyed the night air, fireworks and the excellent Stevie Wonder tribute band - but the airshow element was badly let down by the lack of armed forces participation. Otto the helicopter remains the highlight for me - they could spook North Korea with that thing ! :lol:
sikejsudjek

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 7:50 am

Oh but there were enormous gaps, some real pregnant pauses and it finished mid-afternoon. This was not a big airshow, seaside or not. And as always over the sea now most of the flying was overly distant, like watching from the other end of the town. But again, the noisy hyped up embarrassing commentary more than made up for it. Again, and I know he's something of a folk hero among some ukarians, but Sqn Ldr Mike Ling's cringing commentary out cringed George Bacon's, and that as they say, is really saying something.

FB
Finningley Boy

Postby Tilney.G on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 8:28 am

Finningley Boy wrote:

Oh but there were enormous gaps, some real pregnant pauses and it finished mid-afternoon. This was not a big airshow, seaside or not. And as always over the sea now most of the flying was overly distant, like watching from the other end of the town. But again, the noisy hyped up embarrassing commentary more than made up for it. Again, and I know he's something of a folk hero among some ukarians, but Sqn Ldr Mike Ling's cringing commentary out cringed George Bacon's, and that as they say, is really saying something.

FB

The only 'enormous' gap was between the beach assault and GWDT, which was scheduled! All the others except the parachutistists which always take a long time were 5 maybe 10 mins which I wouldn't call enormous!
And what do you expect the commentators to do. Have no enthusiasm, say the line up is awful and recommend people to go home? For those who actually enjoyed it (Not many on here) the commentary was fine, especially Mike's as it was his last one at BMouth! Nothing cringe about that!
Tilney.G

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:02 am

Tilney.G wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:

FB

Tilney,

The only 'enormous' gap was between the beach assault and GWDT, which was scheduled! All the others except the parachutistists which always take a long time were 5 maybe 10 mins which I wouldn't call enormous!
And what do you expect the commentators to do. Have no enthusiasm, say the line up is awful and recommend people to go home? For those who actually enjoyed it (Not many on here) the commentary was fine, especially Mike's as it was his last one at BMouth! Nothing cringe about that!

It really depends on what you've become used to, at one time air shows operated a gap of no more than about two minutes between the finish of one and the run in of the next item. I can recall seeing one aircraft climb out one way while the next is running in. You get to see this kind of continuity and coordination now, from time to time. But ordinarily, about five minutes yes typically, is the current gap. But anymore is a pregnant gap, more than ten minutes and you can forget you're at an air show at all. Especially along a sea front. Further, the display this year finished awful early, regardless of the evening festivities. All in all, the content of too many such events is very lack lustre now. Read the link on the earlier thread. As I've kept on banging the drum, we are in an drought all round regarding UK air shows in particular. Our authorities have become positively unsupportive, they refuse to accept responsibility for aircraft which appear regularly at air shows and which have an unblemished record. Principally the SWAFHF. Largely because they operate the kind of sophisticated high performance aircraft which to be frank everyone really wants to see, flying! Being put through their paces as the operators intend. Not parked up or conducting a sedate flyby. And another point I'll make yet again, the clearest indication of how twee its all suddenly become is symptomized by the mawkish, patronising, overstated commentary of some of the new line up. I don't think I've heard a single one demonstrate the dry caustic wit of the old School which started to appear in the '70s and '80s such as Sean Maffett, Mike Whitehouse, Roger Hoefling, Pete MacNamara and the great late John Blake. All of whom were supremely informative without being conceited either. :cuppa:

Finningley Boy

Postby Zoom on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:17 am

I thought it was an excellent display, a bit light (compared to 2 years ago when we had the Vulcan Sea Vixen and Typhoon) but some new things I'd not seen before like the Hawk pair (were they RAF or RN?) and the two Strikemasters. At the end of the day it's an event intended for the general public not plane enthusiasts (with lots of extra wallet lightening potential)

I found a cheap pair of 8 x 40 binoculars perfect to overcome the distance, it did seem that the planes were often even further out than Argus and the flotilla of boats

It was a shame there was no Planes TV stall that I could see.
Zoom

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:23 am

Zoom wrote:I thought it was an excellent display, a bit light (compared to 2 years ago when we had the Vulcan Sea Vixen and Typhoon) but some new things I'd not seen before like the Hawk pair (were they RAF or RN?) and the two Strikemasters. At the end of the day it's an event intended for the general public not plane enthusiasts (with lots of extra wallet lightening potential)

It was a shame there was no Planes TV stall that I could see.

The two Hawks were from the Royal Navy as stated on the Flightline website (I didn't buy an expensive programme this year so I don't know what was said in there), they were on last year as well, the year before we had a role demo by two Hawk T2s from the RAF which was far more punchy culminating in high energy climbs. The RN Hawks from Culdrose just sedately flew around, didn't they? :dizzy:

Finningley Boy

Postby Zoom on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:32 am

Finningley Boy wrote:
Zoom wrote:I thought it was an excellent display, a bit light (compared to 2 years ago when we had the Vulcan Sea Vixen and Typhoon) but some new things I'd not seen before like the Hawk pair (were they RAF or RN?)

The two Hawks were from the Royal Navy as stated on the Flightline website (I didn't buy an expensive programme this year so I don't know what was said in there), they were on last year as well, the year before we had a role demo by two Hawk T2s from the RAF which was far more punchy culminating in high energy climbs. The RN Hawks from Culdrose just sedately flew around, didn't they? :dizzy:

yes sort of, not a great amount of interaction with the ground display. I wasn't sure as I'd seen photos of the RN Hawks with a special tail fin. I didn't shell out £8 for the programme either; I had the timetable on my phone thanks to this thread :smile:

an extra bonus was the Royal Marines band doing a performance for the Rear Admiral on the hotel lawn just before the Fireflies
Zoom

Postby mrshu on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:54 am

The Royal Marines Band might have been excellent but could they explain why their mates at The Hamworthy Boat Sqn base didn't bother turning up to deal with the pirates who came without their pirate ship this year? If it wasn't for the army there wouldn't have been an event this year! So much for the very, well very hyped up Amphibious Beach Assault which simply didn't happen this year despite "thousands" crowding around the main beach arena. You can't do it without any boats can you??? Unless it's Bournemouth! Even if it's free, if they can't even deliver what is advertised then I'd call that a let down, free or not? Whatever happened to the "Dunkirk" spirit!? They could have commandeered a couple of Sunseekers which would have been a great advert for such a prestigious local boat builder!!!
Last edited by mrshu on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrshu

Postby Tilney.G on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 5:50 pm

Zoom wrote:At the end of the day it's an event intended for the general public not plane enthusiasts

Exactly! Go to RIAT if you want to see fast jets all day long! I'm sure if you ask most of the general public they'd say it was a good day as the comments on Facebook suggest. And I'd say there were certainly some things there for the plane enthusiasts too!
Tilney.G

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Shows