Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Postby Pen Pusher on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 2:44 pm

Ever wondered what the view is like from the jump seat of the Mk1 Bristol Blenheim?!

Next we weekend we are planning on going live from the flight deck, via our Instagram account, throughout our display at the Bournemouth Air Festival.

To make sure you don't miss out on seeing the show from the pilot's prospective, click the link below and hit the Follow button!

https://www.instagram.com/aircraftrestorationcompany/

#engineeredtoinspire

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 10:24 pm

Tilney.G wrote:3:52 pm Vampire Blue

Why not just write Vampire pair? Am I missing something? :dunno:
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby itfcscott on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 10:58 pm

I don't know the reason or story behind the name, but they used 'Vampire Blue' as their call sign at both Clacton and Dunsfold.
itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Postby keety on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:44 am

I'm seriously considering not bothering this year... been every year with the family and I'm not sure I can be arsed... the aircraft are the only thing that makes the crowds bareable... and with this years completly uninspiring lineup I might just take the kids over to studland and spend the day snorkelling and watching the odd speck on the horizon instead...
keety

Postby Reds Rolling on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:25 am

Feel the same way. Not even the 6 ship vintage jet formation on Sunday is tempting me to go down given the types involved.
Reds Rolling

Postby cherries on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:02 am

I see the BBMF have pulled out completely now from the festival yet the website has added a Spitfire on Thurs and Friday. Can anyone confirm if this is the Griffon engine spit from BBMF? It could also be the Spit and Hurricane from Biggin Hill for Sat and Sun ? Blenheim is now added to Thursday.
cherries

Postby Tilney.G on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:18 am

cherries wrote:I see the BBMF have pulled out completely now from the festival yet the website has added a Spitfire on Thurs and Friday. Can anyone confirm if this is the Griffon engine spit from BBMF? It could also be the Spit and Hurricane from Biggin Hill for Sat and Sun ? Blenheim is now added to Thursday.

I understand that PS915 is up at the Scotland shows so I assume it won't be down here!
Tilney.G

Postby StevieS on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

I believe it is a civilian Spitfire Mk IX added in for Thursday and Friday and then the Hurricane from Biggin Hill for the weekend. :clap:
StevieS

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:51 am

The programme has replaced the BBMF Lancaster + fighter displays on the Thursday and Friday with Blenheim/Spitifire. So I am assuming they will fly in formation - not quite sure which Spitfire this will be. The Hurricane on Saturday and Sunday is a replacement for the BBMF as well.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby Harvo266 on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm

Chopper81 wrote:
StevieS wrote:There is a fair bit of difference between displaying at Biggin and Eastbourne on the same day, basing out of Biggin throughout with all their engineering support in place, and suggesting displaying at Ayr and Bournemouth, which would need to include ferry flights and re-positioning engineers and ground equipment! And your suggestion supposes that Yeovilton would be open and willing to accept them! I suspect that for the Sanicole and Scampton weekend we will find that they are displaying at Sanicole on the Friday evening and on Sunday (there is no display on the Saturday), and then displaying at Scampton on the Saturday - so only one display per day!

The F16 is displaying at Scampton on Saturday and also at Kleine Brogel Spotters Day just down the road from Sanicole the same day.

Ayr to Bournemouth straight line 347miles
Scampton to KB 297 miles

So it could've been done, never mind maybe next year!! :lmao:

Couldn't though because pilot is only allowed to do 2 displays a day by law and is already reserved for Ayr and Portrush
Shuttleworth SP
Torbay
Cosford
Weston
Yeovilton
RIAT
FIA
Eastbourne - Weather :(
Bournemouth
Duxford
Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby clearstone on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:02 pm

Law?? That's overstating it a bit. :whistle:

Two displays a day with two hours between flights is fairly standard operating procedure for RAF Displays (except the BBMF). Some display item also have limits on distances between displays.
clearstone

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

Jakub.Zurek wrote:The programme has replaced the BBMF Lancaster + fighter displays on the Thursday and Friday with Blenheim/Spitifire. So I am assuming they will fly in formation - not quite sure which Spitfire this will be. The Hurricane on Saturday and Sunday is a replacement for the BBMF as well.

The programme has been updated again, this time Blenheim and Spitfire are listed separately so no formation I'm assuming. Spitfire is down as a Mk IX so perhaps MH434 as there is also the mock Spitfire/Buchon dogfight on Sunday?
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby Tilney.G on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:54 pm

Sorry to give another long list but I'm guessing this is pretty much the final version now if anyone is interested:

Thursday 31st August 2017

AIR SHOW ONE
3:15 pm Chinook
3:23 pm Spitfire Mk 1X
3:35 pm Tigers Parachute Display Team
3:55 pm Bristol Blenheim
4:10 pm Brietling Wingwalker Display
4:25 pm Twister Duo
4:42 pm The Blades Aerobatic Display Team
AIR SHOW TWO
6:00 pm Royal Air Force Red Arrows Aerobatic Display Team
6:30 pm P-51 Mustang
6:42 pm Gerald Cooper
6:55 pm Sally B B-17
7:10 pm MiG 15
DUSK DISPLAY
8:00 pm The Twister Aerobatic Display Team
8:14 pm Otto the Helicopter - O'Brien's Flying Circus
8:30 pm Red Devils Parachute Regiment

Friday 1st September 2017

AIR SHOW ONE
12:30 pm Beach Assault rehearsal
2:10 pm Twister Duo
2:25 pm Gerald Cooper, Xtreme Air XA41
2:36 pm MiG 15
2:47 pm Royal Air Force Chinook Display Team
3:01 pm P -51 Mustang
3:11 pm Spitfire Mk 1X
3:30 pm Royal Air Force Red Arrows Aerobatic Display Team
4:00 pm Tigers Parachute Display Team
4:23 pm Strikemaster
4:36 pm Sally B, B-17
4:49 pm Blenheim
5:02 pm The Blades Aerobatic Display Team
DUSK DISPLAY
8:00 pm Twister Duo
8:14 pm Otto the Helicopter - O'Brien's Flying Circus

Saturday 2nd September 2017

AIR SHOW ONE
12:00 pm Royal Air Force Red Arrows Aerobatic Display Team
12:30 pm Beach Assault
1:30 pm Great War Display Team
1:50 pm Tigers Parachute Display Team
2:07 pm Brietling Wingwalker Display
2:19 pm Gerald Cooper, Xtreme XA41
2:28 pm Hurricane
2:38 pm Yakovlevs
2:50 pm Sally B, B-17
3:02 pm Bristol Blenheim
3:14 pm The Blades Aerobatic Display Team
3:31 pm Strikemaster Pair
3:43 pm Vampire Blue Pair
DUSK DISPLAY
7:55 pm Twister Duo
8:09 pm Otto the Helicopter - O'Brien's Flying Circus

Sunday 3rd September 2017

12:30 pm Beach Assault
AIR SHOW ONE
1:30 pm Gerald Cooper, Xtreme XA41
1:39 pm Great War Display Team
1:59 pm Brietling Wingwalker Display
2:11 pm Hurricane
2:21 pm Sally B, B-17
2:33 pm Bristol Blenheim
2:45 pm Spitfire/Messerschmitt
2:59 pm Tigers Parachute Display Team
3:16 pm Yakovlevs
3:32 pm The Blades Aerobatic Display Team
3:49 pm Strikemaster 3 Combo
4:02 pm MiG15 / Vampire Blue Pair Combo
4:22 pm Strikemaster MiG Combo 6 Jet
Last edited by Tilney.G on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tilney.G

Postby planenuttoo on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:53 pm

Tilney.G wrote:Sorry to give another long list but I'm guessing this is pretty much the final version now if anyone is interested:

Thank you for this. :up:
planenuttoo

Postby mrshu on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 7:35 am

So "NO" Royal Navy ships on what is suppposed to be their "flagship" event. RFA Argus is from the Royal Fleet Auxilary fleet, a civilian organisation! With the main Navy base of Portsmouth being just 30 miles down the coast with around 25 Destroyers, Frigates and Minesweepers based, they couldn't offer a single one!!! What an embarrassment. Not to mention the fact that the main Army flying base of Middle Wallop is just 30 miles inland yet nothing was available! That's a big change to the timetable at the very last minute due to the BBMF "NO" show. It seems that the Air Show organisers have had a nightmare this year getting acts for the show. The lack of participation by the RAF, Navy and Army is unforgivable! With over a million people due at this tenth anniversary show it's such a shame that "our" local armed forces couldn't do better.
Last edited by mrshu on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrshu

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:23 am

Yes, I think Joe Public will miss the Typhoon and BBMF greatly at this year's show. For the enthusiasts, I believe the Sea Vixen was planned last year but due to pilot availability wasn't able to attend, and similarly this year I would imagine it would have been booked if it was flying.

mrshu wrote:Perhaps a Tornado instead of the "NO" show Typhoon?

Unfortunately the Tornado fleet is very stretched for various reasons IIRC, there is no Tornado display this year so no chance of that appearing in a display. No chance of flypast either as we don't very often get Tornados in the South :grin:
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby Tilney.G on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:29 am

Livestream here: https://livestream.com/accounts/1774/events/7687492

I do think people moan a lot. Yes, a bit of noise will be missed but it's still a fairly good line up. Had the typhoon been there I'm sure everyone would be saying it's an amazing line up :hide:
Tilney.G

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:23 pm

Spitfire solo is Boultbee Mk IX RR232
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby MikeP on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:28 pm

Made me smile this morning when the organiser announced on Radio Solent that it was the 10th anniversary of Bournemouth air show and because of this it was the biggest and best so far.

I only live a few miles away from the sea front (and on Saturdays I work 5 mins walk away) but I'm not bothering this year.
MikeP

Postby Tilney.G on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 6:53 pm

Really good first day today. Great flying and the Reds looked amazing in the evening light!

To those moaning, well don't go. It was nice to see plenty of people there enjoying what Bournemouth had to offer! :smile:
Tilney.G

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm

I popped into Bournemouth to catch some of the aircraft in the late evening light tonight, and it was definitely worth it. Sally B looked gorgeous in the sunset.

And the MiG-15 aerobatic sequence over the sea is definitely worth seeing, it is such a fast and nimble jet. After seeing the MiG display a couple of times, performing flypasts over land, it was great to see it unleashed over the sea.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby mrshu on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:08 am

Did the Chinook turn up for its display on Friday? I didn't see or hear it from the airport? It's interesting to note that in this "historic tenth year" of the Air Festival - "the biggest and best yet" - that the RAF managed to gather just one display act, the Reds and possibly the Chinook for one day only from our local RAF base at Odiham. No Typhoon, no Tornado role demo, no solo Hawk, no Tucano, no Grob Tutor, no King Air and sadly no BBMF. Things have definitely changed since the Air festival's "Heyday"! Not a moan, just a fact! Today, it must also be noted that the last flying display act is 3.43pm! That's only mid afternoon on the biggest day of the show? It's always been around 5.00pm for the past nine years - fact! Off to witness the beach assault to see how well it works with no RN ships!? No frigate, no minesweeper / offshore patrol vessel, no Archer class fast patrol boats? No wonder our "brave" Marines are so stretched!
Last edited by mrshu on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
mrshu

Postby itfcscott on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:17 am

Yes I think so, wasn't down at the seafront but fairly sure I heard it on the walk down from the station.
itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Postby Tilney.G on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:52 am

Yes, the Chinook did display. Night Air was good last night, Brendan O'Brien in Otto is so crazy :grin:
Tilney.G

Postby Comet102 on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:24 pm

It looks like the weather is going to affect the show tomorrow.

Judging by the commentary from tonight's night show they are thinking about moving the show forward to 12pm.
Comet102

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Shows