Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2017

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

The programme has replaced the BBMF Lancaster + fighter displays on the Thursday and Friday with Blenheim/Spitifire. So I am assuming they will fly in formation - not quite sure which Spitfire this will be. The Hurricane on Saturday and Sunday is a replacement for the BBMF as well.

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Chopper81 wrote:
StevieS wrote:There is a fair bit of difference between displaying at Biggin and Eastbourne on the same day, basing out of Biggin throughout with all their engineering support in place, and suggesting displaying at Ayr and Bournemouth, which would need to include ferry flights and re-positioning engineers and ground equipment! And your suggestion supposes that Yeovilton would be open and willing to accept them! I suspect that for the Sanicole and Scampton weekend we will find that they are displaying at Sanicole on the Friday evening and on Sunday (there is no display on the Saturday), and then displaying at Scampton on the Saturday - so only one display per day!

The F16 is displaying at Scampton on Saturday and also at Kleine Brogel Spotters Day just down the road from Sanicole the same day.

Ayr to Bournemouth straight line 347miles
Scampton to KB 297 miles

So it could've been done, never mind maybe next year!! :lmao:

Couldn't though because pilot is only allowed to do 2 displays a day by law and is already reserved for Ayr and Portrush
Nikon D500

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Law?? That's overstating it a bit. :whistle:

Two displays a day with two hours between flights is fairly standard operating procedure for RAF Displays (except the BBMF). Some display item also have limits on distances between displays.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:The programme has replaced the BBMF Lancaster + fighter displays on the Thursday and Friday with Blenheim/Spitifire. So I am assuming they will fly in formation - not quite sure which Spitfire this will be. The Hurricane on Saturday and Sunday is a replacement for the BBMF as well.

The programme has been updated again, this time Blenheim and Spitfire are listed separately so no formation I'm assuming. Spitfire is down as a Mk IX so perhaps MH434 as there is also the mock Spitfire/Buchon dogfight on Sunday?

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Tilney.G wrote:Sorry to give another long list but I'm guessing this is pretty much the final version now if anyone is interested:

Thank you for this. :up:

mrshu

Post by mrshu »

So "NO" Royal Navy ships on what is suppposed to be their "flagship" event. RFA Argus is from the Royal Fleet Auxilary fleet, a civilian organisation! With the main Navy base of Portsmouth being just 30 miles down the coast with around 25 Destroyers, Frigates and Minesweepers based, they couldn't offer a single one!!! What an embarrassment. Not to mention the fact that the main Army flying base of Middle Wallop is just 30 miles inland yet nothing was available! That's a big change to the timetable at the very last minute due to the BBMF "NO" show. It seems that the Air Show organisers have had a nightmare this year getting acts for the show. The lack of participation by the RAF, Navy and Army is unforgivable! With over a million people due at this tenth anniversary show it's such a shame that "our" local armed forces couldn't do better.
Last edited by mrshu on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Yes, I think Joe Public will miss the Typhoon and BBMF greatly at this year's show. For the enthusiasts, I believe the Sea Vixen was planned last year but due to pilot availability wasn't able to attend, and similarly this year I would imagine it would have been booked if it was flying.

mrshu wrote:Perhaps a Tornado instead of the "NO" show Typhoon?

Unfortunately the Tornado fleet is very stretched for various reasons IIRC, there is no Tornado display this year so no chance of that appearing in a display. No chance of flypast either as we don't very often get Tornados in the South :grin:

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Spitfire solo is Boultbee Mk IX RR232

MikeP

Post by MikeP »

Made me smile this morning when the organiser announced on Radio Solent that it was the 10th anniversary of Bournemouth air show and because of this it was the biggest and best so far.

I only live a few miles away from the sea front (and on Saturdays I work 5 mins walk away) but I'm not bothering this year.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

I popped into Bournemouth to catch some of the aircraft in the late evening light tonight, and it was definitely worth it. Sally B looked gorgeous in the sunset.

And the MiG-15 aerobatic sequence over the sea is definitely worth seeing, it is such a fast and nimble jet. After seeing the MiG display a couple of times, performing flypasts over land, it was great to see it unleashed over the sea.

mrshu

Post by mrshu »

Did the Chinook turn up for its display on Friday? I didn't see or hear it from the airport? It's interesting to note that in this "historic tenth year" of the Air Festival - "the biggest and best yet" - that the RAF managed to gather just one display act, the Reds and possibly the Chinook for one day only from our local RAF base at Odiham. No Typhoon, no Tornado role demo, no solo Hawk, no Tucano, no Grob Tutor, no King Air and sadly no BBMF. Things have definitely changed since the Air festival's "Heyday"! Not a moan, just a fact! Today, it must also be noted that the last flying display act is 3.43pm! That's only mid afternoon on the biggest day of the show? It's always been around 5.00pm for the past nine years - fact! Off to witness the beach assault to see how well it works with no RN ships!? No frigate, no minesweeper / offshore patrol vessel, no Archer class fast patrol boats? No wonder our "brave" Marines are so stretched!
Last edited by mrshu on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Yes I think so, wasn't down at the seafront but fairly sure I heard it on the walk down from the station.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

It looks like the weather is going to affect the show tomorrow.

Judging by the commentary from tonight's night show they are thinking about moving the show forward to 12pm.

K213

Post by K213 »

BBC weather app shows heavy rain from 10.00am - therefore would bringing the start time forward (if that is the plan) actually make much difference ?

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Comet102 wrote:It looks like the weather is going to affect the show tomorrow.

Judging by the commentary from tonight's night show they are thinking about moving the show forward to 12pm.

The only reason they're saying this is to desperately try and keep people in the town for a few more hours in the hope that something will be flying, whilst spending money in the local economy etc.
Nothing will fly today, I guarantee

mrshu

Post by mrshu »

Regardless of today's weather it's fair to say that for a number of reasons this year's show was definitely not the best. Having grabbed a perfect spot for the beach assault yesterday, I'm still waiting for it! The pirates clearly lost their boat and didn't turn up! They'd have won the battle if they had as the marines with their landing craft stayed in Hamworthy and the Royal Navy had forgotten to deploy any ships! It just didn't happen despite huge crowds around the main arena. The Reds were superb as usual, but after that the shortest ever Saturday displays were clearly "not turning many heads" on the beach with most people just trying to top up their sun tans for one last time this year. The wing walkers were one aircraft short, the Blades left their 4th aircraft at home, while the Yakolevs were only going to offer a full four ship display today in the rain! Yes it was a great effort by the organisers who were no doubt let down very late on by the Navy and Air Force. Let's not mention the Typhoons that spent five days at Bournemouth last week! For some, they would say they got their dates mixed up!!!! Didn't we miss that Typhoon display! Fingers crossed that "post Shoreham" things will get back to normal next year and the show that we all remember during previous superb years returns.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Looking at dates next year, it could well fall on 30th Aug - 2nd Sept, so possibly a chance they'll lose out on assets again if there's another show in Scotland around that time.

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

The poor show has nothing to do with Shoreham, the biggest problem is changing the air show weekend so the council could make the most money out of a bank holiday weekend and the "AirFest" the following weekend!!! The commentary team still carry on about how the "AirFest" is the biggest and best free air show in the U.K.....WHAT!!! :lmao:
When even the general public (friends and family members and people sat around us who don't do aviation) say it's boring, nothing worth coming down to see other than the reds, the amount of people who left by 2 was shocking and a 4 hour display with around 1.5 hours of gaps!!
How can the organisers feel they have delivered this year is laughable

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Posted on Bournemouth group page todays flying display cancelled due to weather conditions.

John in Seaford

wv383

Post by wv383 »

mrshu wrote:Regardless of today's weather it's fair to say that for a number of reasons this year's show was definitely not the best. Having grabbed a perfect spot for the beach assault yesterday, I'm still waiting for it! The pirates clearly lost their boat and didn't turn up! They'd have won the battle if they had as the marines with their landing craft stayed in Hamworthy and the Royal Navy had forgotten to deploy any ships! It just didn't happen despite huge crowds around the main arena. The Reds were superb as usual, but after that the shortest ever Saturday displays were clearly "not turning many heads" on the beach with most people just trying to top up their sun tans for one last time this year. The wing walkers were one aircraft short, the Blades left their 4th aircraft at home, while the Yakolevs were only going to offer a full four ship display today in the rain! Yes it was a great effort by the organisers who were no doubt let down very late on by the Navy and Air Force. Let's not mention the Typhoons that spent five days at Bournemouth last week! For some, they would say they got their dates mixed up!!!! Didn't we miss that Typhoon display! Fingers crossed that "post Shoreham" things will get back to normal next year and the show that we all remember during previous superb years returns.

One of The Blades aircraft had a technical problem and the Wingwalkers was only ever going to be a singleton. All the publicity leading up to the show clearly stated "Wingwalker" singular as did their own social media pages.
Simon

Steve888

Post by Steve888 »

I don't think the Blades had a technical problem - Ben Murphy is away competing in the Red Bull Air Race in Porto this weekend.

wv383 wrote:One of The Blades aircraft had a technical problem and the Wingwalkers was only ever going to be a singleton. All the publicity leading up to the show clearly stated "Wingwalker" singular as did their own social media pages.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Typhoon was at Scottish Airshow and N.Ireland but went tech with fuel issue anyway.Most people know in advance what is displaying so why go and then complain afterwards.Its free for god's sake

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Tilney.G wrote:Blimey, what a bunch of moaning, grumpy people :hide:

It's been a really enjoyable 3 days. There was certainly no big gaps in the flying yesterday and although it was maybe a slightly weaker line up there were plenty on the cliffs enjoying it.
The GWDT looked super over the bay and it was nice to see the B17/Blenheim formation.

Shame about the weather today but I think Bournemouth put on another good show.

There was about a 45 minute gap between the beach assault and Great War display team actually! Then about 20 minutes of waiting around for the Tigers parachute team

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

The 45 minute 'gap' was scheduled in my list of performers. The delay in the Tigers drop was attributed to Commercial air-traffic activity at Bournemouth International, the only airport in the Country that requires an 'anti-cobweb runway sweep' before each arrival!
The cynical side of me says Bournemouth Air has exhausted it's options & has become economically stale. Clearly there was nothing on the list to remotely excite the seasoned enthusiast, but take average Joe & family. They have to be in-place by midday for the Reds & the half-arsed boat-less/ rib-devoid beach assault! (those RN. Hawks were more like annoying flies round a turd!) Then a 45 minute break. Then a totally disjointed afternoon display that for all the known reasons seemed that even the performers were just going through the motions & couldn't be arsed to turn-up?... 3 Blades doing a 'box-bend', 1 Wingwalker constantly referred to in the plural, only 2 Yakovlevs, & a single merlin in a Hurricane you could just hear, but barely see!
Then wait again 4.25 hours 'til Otto, Twisters & more parachutists display for 30 minutes, then wait another 1'5 hours 'til the Grand Firework Finale a 22:00. That's more like an aptitude test for the SAS! Certainly not geared to your core family audience?
Yeah! I chose to go there, but never again. That display line was closer to Jersey! :mad:

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

The aircraft participation at Bournemouth this year was pretty much identical to any other seaside show, unfortunately that's the way UK airshows are at the moment. There is a tiny pool of aircraft to choose from for shows nowadays.

Not getting allocated the Typhoon is not really the fault of the organisers, they tried their best but unfortunately the show this year clashes with others.