Eastbourne Airshow 2017

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
aceyone

Re: Eastbourne Airshow 2017

Post by aceyone »

Correct me if I'm wrong but outside controlled airspace under VFR rules the minimum distance an aircraft can be from people /buildings etc is 500ft ,if so ,I could live with any aircraft transiting BH at that height/distant !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

aceyone wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but outside controlled airspace under VFR rules the minimum distance an aircraft can be from people /buildings etc is 500ft ,if so ,I could live with any aircraft transiting BH at that height/distant !

As I understand it, the FDD has deemed Beach Head a 'Secondary Crowd', so they have to stay away further than that now,................much further.
They were transisting much further than 500ft last year, except for the BBMF who were business as usual.

StevieS

Post by StevieS »

I am not sure being outside of CAS and therefore VFR rules applying is correct as I believe Beachy Head is within the Restricted Airspace established for the display and close to one of the Holds so display regulations probably take precedence. Also, I doubt it was the FDD that deemed the area as a secondary crowd. From my experience of being on BH, where the Event Organiser (Eastbourne BC) is having to put arrangements in place to manage and support the crowd that gathers, arguably the area becomes a primary crowd for the event, but this would have been discussed and determined during the event planning and within the Safety Advisory Group with the Emergency Services, and at least being considered a secondary crowd allows a little more flexibility in how the area is viewed! On that basis crews would need to route around BH rather than overfly it so there is still absolutely no reason why we shouldn't still be able to capture the iconic shots of aircraft flying below us!

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

StevieS wrote:I am not sure being outside of CAS and therefore VFR rules applying is correct as I believe Beachy Head is within the Restricted Airspace established for the display and close to one of the Holds so display regulations probably take precedence. Also, I doubt it was the FDD that deemed the area as a secondary crowd. From my experience of being on BH, where the Event Organiser (Eastbourne BC) is having to put arrangements in place to manage and support the crowd that gathers, arguably the area becomes a primary crowd for the event, but this would have been discussed and determined during the event planning and within the Safety Advisory Group with the Emergency Services, and at least being considered a secondary crowd allows a little more flexibility in how the area is viewed! On that basis crews would need to route around BH rather than overfly it so there is still absolutely no reason why we shouldn't still be able to capture the iconic shots of aircraft flying below us!

Well, one way or another we'll find out for sure next week

timuss

Post by timuss »

Well i'm at Biggin on Sunday anyway, but will make a decision on Beachy Head after hearing what Thursday and Friday offer.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Show is being streamed live on PlanesTV this weekend. Today's show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfWnEuk5yiY

I'm not sure if you have to subscribe (£3.99 per month)
Nikon D500

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Freq 132.9 in use.

DanH

Post by DanH »

Did anyone watch from up on Beachy Head today? Were they still avoiding the area like last year?
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

As far as i know, the Belgian F16 and Typhoon are the only aircraft specifically not allowed to go round Beachy Head
Nikon D500

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

I wasn't at BH today but I saw the Belgian F-16 route in from the east and depart to the east/north, so that would have been no good.
I had a bit of a listen on the box and the Beachy hold was being used for some inbounds and some aircraft were heard to say they were departing via Beachy also, I just don't know how close they were.
Might go to BH tomorrow for the Reds, as my preferred day of Sunday looks to be the least favourable for the weather, with rain currently due from early afternoon, although the timing may change.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Hi

I was at Beachy Head today.

The Belgium F16 came out our way but then started to pull up. He was about halfway in to the verticle by the time it was in front of BH and all you would have got was it going up against the background sky and then turning well above the clouds going inland. I would say a 6Opc crop on an image taken with a 1 .6 crop camera attached to a 500mm lens would get a a decent sized picture of it but that is all and so as said before - nothing spcial.

The Calidus autogyro came out low in front of us but was very small yet quite novel to get against the water.

Not a wasted day though as Miss Helen came out in front of us low against the water. Taken with a 1.6 crop camera and 500mm lens was well worth it. A 40pc crop of the resulting image would bring it close to full frame

Thursdays have never been a good indicator of how the flying is going to go from Friday onwards. I have been their several times on the Thursday at previous shows and not a sausage has come close with the possible exception of the BBMF.

Tomorrow will be a better indicator if anything has changed from last year.

I did get the impression that aircraft are flying out significantly further away from the crowd from the shore at Eastbourne itself, far more than the extra 30 meters the CAA prescribes.

I will go back again tomorrow.

Thanks

Martin Eames

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

SEMAE wrote:Hi

I was at Beachy Head today.

The Belgium F16 came out our way but then started to pull up. He was about halfway in to the verticle by the time it was in front of BH and all you would have got was it going up against the background sky and then turning well above the clouds going inland. I would say a 6Opc crop on an image taken with a 1 .6 crop camera attached to a 500mm lens would get a a decent sized picture of it but that is all and so as said before - nothing spcial.

The Calidus autogyro came out low in front of us but was very small yet quite novel to get against the water.

Not a wasted day though as Miss Helen came out in front of us low against the water. Taken with a 1.6 crop camera and 500mm lens was well worth it. A 40pc crop of the resulting image would bring it close to full frame

Thursdays have never been a good indicator of how the flying is going to go from Friday onwards. I have been their several times on the Thursday at previous shows and not a sausage has come close with the possible exception of the BBMF.

Tomorrow will be a better indicator if anything has changed from last year.

I did get the impression that aircraft are flying out significantly further away from the crowd from the shore at Eastbourne itself, far more than the extra 30 meters the CAA prescribes.

I will go back again tomorrow.

Thanks

Martin Eames

Thank you for the update Martin, I'll be interested to read your post if you go again tomorrow.
It feels like the same as it was last year...........a bit distant ?
Did the F16 use any flares ?

thanks

Paul

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Video on you tube says yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmgZzmHWwLo

John in Seaford

Milguy22

Post by Milguy22 »

Report on twitter that the Belgian F16 is back in Belgium

Currently back at Kleine Brogel with some technical/logistical issues. Still planning on our appreance at @EB_Airshow at 1604L

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

lambo17841 wrote:Video on you tube says yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmgZzmHWwLo

John in Seaford

oooh !

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Went to BH for part of the display today.
The Red Arrows didn't give us any low singleton passes, just one that was a bit distant and one that came low over the top.
The Mustang exited round BH, having come in over the top, which was a bit strange if the area is being avoided, as did the autogyro (I know, big deal).
The Scout also exited round BH but I had not got there yet so not sure how close that was.
I then decided to reposition to the display area, so was disappointed to see two Belgian F-16s arrive from the east, one going into the display and the other doing a single pass and then low around BH!! Maybe someone who stayed up there can confirm how close it was. The display aircraft did use flares as he pulled up, twice at the start and then again a bit further in to his display.
Very windy up on the Head, especially close to the edge from where you can see the lighthouse. I sat the other side of the path that goes down the slope, in one of the craters, and there it was ok.
So in conclusion, I would say that aircraft are still routing around BH but there are not too many needing to go that way this year.

A couple of requests. Does anyone know if 2xF-16 are due over the weekend, as opposed to just the one, and anyone know where the Red Arrows support Squirrel landed, as it was not at the college where it has always gone in the past. Interested as it may be a Juno or Jupiter next year.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

The F-16's first pass was quite close to BH but the rest was distant. The Typhoon was a long way away as were the blades, wingwalkers etc. The Reds did some excellent very low passes over BH including one hawk which wnt over at not much more than 100ft with vapour off the wing tips> Most displays were very far from BH apart from the reds.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

I think the 2 F-16's will be due to them both returning to Belgium this morning for whatever reason, and both both flew through on there way back. (I presume they're both back at Biggin now)

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

I heard the display jet won't be ready for this weekend and a replacement grey F16 is currently at Biggin with the spare.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Yes both F-16s today were normal grey jets.

paulpp7

Post by paulpp7 »

Yes the display F16 went tech after yesterdays display. The 2 F16 are at Biggin watched them arrived after the Eastbourne display today.
Canon 7D Mk2
Canon 7D
Canon 15-85
Canon 70-200L
Canon 100-400iiL
Canon 580EX
Uniden UBC125XLT

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

MC hammer wrote:Went to BH for part of the display today.
The Red Arrows didn't give us any low singleton passes, just one that was a bit distant and one that came low over the top.
The Mustang exited round BH, having come in over the top, which was a bit strange if the area is being avoided, as did the autogyro (I know, big deal).
The Scout also exited round BH but I had not got there yet so not sure how close that was.
I then decided to reposition to the display area, so was disappointed to see two Belgian F-16s arrive from the east, one going into the display and the other doing a single pass and then low around BH!! Maybe someone who stayed up there can confirm how close it was. The display aircraft did use flares as he pulled up, twice at the start and then again a bit further in to his display.
Very windy up on the Head, especially close to the edge from where you can see the lighthouse. I sat the other side of the path that goes down the slope, in one of the craters, and there it was ok.
So in conclusion, I would say that aircraft are still routing around BH but there are not too many needing to go that way this year.

A couple of requests. Does anyone know if 2xF-16 are due over the weekend, as opposed to just the one, and anyone know where the Red Arrows support Squirrel landed, as it was not at the college where it has always gone in the past. Interested as it may be a Juno or Jupiter next year.

I think the 2xF-16 at Eastbourne was a bit of luck today for those watching, as they were returning with the replacement F-16.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

MC hammer wrote:Went to BH for part of the display today.

Thx for the update...........I might just chance it tomorrow :up:

MikeCooper1990

Post by MikeCooper1990 »

Sally B has been added for Saturday and Sunday
2023: Shuttleworth, Abingdon, RIAT, Duxford

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Hi

Mustang Miss Helen came out Beachy Head way again , though a little bit further out than Thursday but still okay for me

BBMF Spit came out our way and made a nice pass, closer than the Mustang today

The Calidus came out again , perhaps a little closer than Thursday though still small.

Belgium F16 spare flew in front Beachy Head and top sided in front of us as it turned and then went inland a little further on.

When the display F16 finished his display today, he cam out straight and level to join up with the spare that was still in the area.

The F16 aircraft were too high to get the water underneath in front of Beachy Head

I do not blame anyone who gives it a chance tomorrow as there will be more aircraft with perhaps a higher chance that more will pass by Beachy Head.

I am going to Herne Bay tomorrow so if anyone can give an update tomorrow evening, it will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Martin Eames