Re: The Scottish International Airshow (Ayr seafront) 2018

Post by Commando »

drumm78 wrote:Hawker sea fury T20.

Love it :biggrin: looking not bad I'd say

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

That's another really good addition - line-up is looking strong this year. :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Commando

Post by Commando »

Seafury confirmed great news :clap:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Now that sadly Scottish International Airshow aren't able to have a Static Display at Prestwick Airport it's disappointing that they can't even park a Helicopter or 2 for display on Ayr Low Green as a sort of Helicopter Static. Yes I know that they do have the RAF Careers Replicas - wonder what they will have this Year?

I do hope that in future somehow a Static at Prestwick can return as a traditional Airshow (for me) is a Static and Flying Display.

Are there any updates due in the near future?

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

Very quiet from the tsia.Line up is a bit scarce and they better hope weather doesn't affect any of the older types making the journey north like East fortune had.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Aye... what exactly is going on with this!? After a very strong start the announcements haven't so much dried-up as come to a complete stop.

I'm now actively wondering whether I'll bother heading through for this, even with the prospect of a Swiss F-18.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

They did confirm the Calidus Autogyro and Cessna 172 G-DRAM over the weekend on their Facebook page (though you have to filter through the photos). Also, the Biggin Hill based Shipping and Airlines Company did say they were participating too, probably with the Dragonfly.

Heidfirst

Post by Heidfirst »

"The confirmed line up for the 2018 Scottish International Airshow is as follows.
Please share with a friend and get them to like our page so they get the up to date information.

The following will be displaying on both days with the exception of the RAF Falcons parachute team. Flying times will vary on both days and full times will be published in the Airshow programme on sale this week.

The Red Arrows
Catalina flying boat
RAF Typhoon fighter
DC3 and 3 Beech 18s in the Swiss Classic Formation
Lauren Wilson Pitts Special aerobatics
Wee Dram Ayr’s own Sea Plane
The Spartan
De Havilland Dragonfly
Sea Fury WW2 fighter
Lancaster bomber
Hurricane fighter
Spitfire fighter
Tutor RAF aerobatic trainer
Scottish Aviation Bulldog
Swiss Air Force F/A18 supersonic fighter
De Havilland Chipmunk
Global Stars aerobatic team
Boeing Stearman classic bi plane
Calidus autogyro
Extra 300 aerobatic
Search And Rescue helicopter and lifeboat
The RAF Falcons parachute team (Sunday only)

Flying is scheduled to start with the Search and rescue display at 12 o’clock on Saturday and 11 am on Sunday"

There is a chance that 1 or 2 other things may turn up but they weren't confirmed as of Sunday.

Hotblack Desiato

If you're thinking of going by train, don't.

Post by Hotblack Desiato »

From the Scotrail site:

South Ayrshire Council has imposed an exclusion zone at Ayr station, which will have an impact on our services. This is because the former hotel building next to the station has been deemed unsafe. The hotel building isnt owned or operated by ScotRail. This exclusion zone means services via Ayr will be disrupted for the foreseeable future.
Travelling to the Airshow this weekend, 1-2 September
We will do everything we can to get people to the Airshow, but our original plans for extra carriages arent possible now because of the restrictions that have been put in place by South Ayrshire Council.
If you're travelling to the Air Show we advise you to make alternative travel arrangements where you can.

More info: https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/changes-services-between-glasgow-central-ayr-and-stranraer

Was only really going to see the F/A-18. Won't bother now, just too much hassle.

https://www.facebook.com/SwissHornetDisplayTeam/videos/883441871848264/UzpfSTE2OTY0NTEzNjcyOTQ2MTo3MjMzNTA0NTEzNTg5MjQ/

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

BBMF Spitfire & Hurricane not appearing due to poor weather elsewhere.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Just out of interest did the Lancaster make it today?

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

I don't think any of the BBMF made an appearance over the weekend. I was there on Sunday, and never saw them unless they displayed while we were having some lunch.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Only went on Saturday but I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite weather which was 'changeable' at best.

The noise from the F-18 was quite incredible, I assume this must have had something to do with the atmospheric conditions (low cloud reflecting the noise back down towards the ground, perhaps?) When it was at its closest to the crowd it sounded like a B-1B or something, absolutely ear-splitting stuff! :rock:

Commando

Post by Commando »

BBMF didn't make it due weather ,next year's show is moving out of Ayr no council sponsorship but meant to be back 2020 I enjoyed the weekend despite weather at times and as a local disappointed to see it moving

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

Commando wrote:BBMF didn't make it due weather ,next year's show is moving out of Ayr no council sponsorship but meant to be back 2020 I enjoyed the weekend despite weather at times and as a local disappointed to see it moving

Interesting, any ideas where it maybe going for 2019?

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

Bring back Leuchars.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Unless I'm mistaken & thanks to the weather, the BBMF never actually made it into Scotland this season at all then?

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I totally agree with that, Drumm yes bring back Leuchars! It should have never been changed from RAF to Army.

That’s horrid to think Vandal that BBMF haven’t been to Scotland this Year due Weather. I personally haven’t seen The Lancaster in 4 Years now! Last saw it when it flew over Prestwick with a Canadian Lanc VeRA.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I totally agree with that, Drumm78 yes bring back Leuchars! It should have never been changed from RAF to Army.

That’s horrid to think Vandal that BBMF haven’t been to Scotland this Year due Weather. I personally haven’t seen The Lancaster in 4 Years now! Last saw it when it flew over Prestwick with a Canadian Lanc VeRA.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Unknown74 wrote:

In all fairness, weather hasn't been a friend of the BBMF this year, not just in Scotland. They had to scrub Sunderland too due to high winds at Coningsby.

Commando

Post by Commando »

Maccyd wrote:
Commando wrote:BBMF didn't make it due weather ,next year's show is moving out of Ayr no council sponsorship but meant to be back 2020 I enjoyed the weekend despite weather at times and as a local disappointed to see it moving

Interesting, any ideas where it maybe going for 2019?

All pure speculation Irvine up the road has been mentioned as has Fife aparently

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

Even though Leuchars has changed to the army.The airforce still control the runway and facilities to go with it.Even a joint display.It would bring in much needed funds to keep the Base up to standard.Its such a shame that a great airshow and location has gone.

vandal

Post by vandal »

When we lost Leuchars, we also lost with it a dedicated static aircraft line up, and more importantly, a Battle of Britain at Home Day. East Fortune is a museum, they have types on display in the hangars & stuff, but that's not the same as other Nations having the option to send current or historic aircraft along for us to look at, aircrews to chat to etc. Granted, these machines only flew on arrival and departure days, but for a lot of us, doing arrivals and departures was as important as doing the show.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Good call Vandal, agree with that 100%.

bolshi

Post by bolshi »

In today's Daily Record its reported that on its return in 2020 it will be a 3 day show consisting of a night show on the Friday with 2 days of "flying excellence" to follow.

Bolshi