Allied Airshow Plymouth Thursday 3rd September

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
raymacca10

Allied Airshow Plymouth Thursday 3rd September

Post by raymacca10 »

THE ALLIED AIRSHOW
On the 3rd of September we plan to hold a free show over the waters of Plymouth Sound, sadly the loss of a sponsor is causing a problem but we will go ahead as best as we can.
The day marks the 70th Anniversary of the outbreak of World War 2, we will mark this with a wreath drop in front of both Allied and Axis guest and veterans at noon.
During the afternoon the charity event will begin, we plan to support Help the Heroes and those lost or were injured with 3 Commando Brigade over recent months plus their families.
Last week we were off, next week with the council we hope to make this thing work, times are hard but I'm sure we can find either a named sponsor or several sponsors, Plymouth Hoe is a great place to show a company off, we always draw large crowds.
Along with Plymouth Navy Days on September 5th and 6th, should prove to be a great city to visit if you are into military events.
Confirmed for the 3rd are the Red Arrows, Typhoon, Hawk, Tutor and Spitfire with the promise of some overseas aircraft, I will keep you posted.
If anyone has any ideas please feel free.
Regards to all!
Ray

Batman3

Re: Allied Airshow Plymouth Thursday 3rd September

Post by Batman3 »

can't wait! The last Plymouth airshow was pretty good too - good luck getting the oversea's stuff

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

Batman3 wrote:can't wait! The last Plymouth airshow was pretty good too - good luck getting the oversea's stuff

Keep your fingers crossed, chasing that sponsor for the Reds, I know we have some warships moving through on the day, looking at a fly and sail by.

Batman3

Post by Batman3 »

Good luck with the sponsorship - i know plymouth loves aircraft no matter how little, when whoever laid the harrier on a few years back the Hoe was gridlocked just to see that. Il definetly be making the journey down and may stay for navy days if my pals not abroad.

For anyone thats never been - the Hoe gives an amazing view in that the display line is eye level maybe a little lower than eye point which gives good sea backgrounds. If you can get up in the lighthouse then you look down by quite a height at all the action.

BearcatPilgrim

Post by BearcatPilgrim »

Yes Ray all the very best to get that all important sponsor, I'll send you some ideas of
aircraft that would grace the skies over Plymouth Sound. It's been a while since we've seen a decent display in Plymouth for some years. :vulcan:

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

BearcatPilgrim wrote:Yes Ray all the very best to get that all important sponsor, I'll send you some ideas of
aircraft that would grace the skies over Plymouth Sound. It's been a while since we've seen a decent display in Plymouth for some years. :vulcan:

I will give it a good go, think my greatest joy was 1994, Reds could not make it through but the F14 Tomcat did and gave us a good 15 minutes, Barry Pover told me the Reds were departing Exeter and the F14 gave them an inverted low wave down the runway returning to Yeovilton, great memories. Lets hope for the sake of Help the Heroes and 3 Commando Brigade we can find that bit of sponsorship.

Batman3

Post by Batman3 »

Do you think Air Southwest would be interested in a few low level passes? Would fill a display slot, a rare aircraft on the flying programmes and its a good bit of advertising for them? All the best in finding the sponsors, please keep us updated.

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

Batman3 wrote:Do you think Air Southwest would be interested in a few low level passes? Would fill a display slot, a rare aircraft on the flying programmes and its a good bit of advertising for them? All the best in finding the sponsors, please keep us updated.

Brymon did a superb display for us many years ago with a Dash 7, as we stand at present we are military only for displays, a pass is possible, will be talking to the company shortly.

Razor61

Post by Razor61 »

I remember some really nice days out at Plymouth Armed Forces shows.
I remember the mightly MH-53 sitting on the tarmac on the hoe and the Su-27 coming in from Russia via Jersey for the show along with the usual good Seaking HAS3 display with the lifeboat.
Nice backdrop having Drakes Island in the background of some of the low flyers.

Remember a few years ago the Harriers.
One came in nice and slow from the Plym area and started to hover infront of the crowd whilst another came screaming in from behind it and raced along the crowdline. Looked superb with both in the view doing different things.

I bet all the people living to the North West used to have a nice sight too with all the heavies holding off up the to the NW of the Tamar.

I really wish Plymouth could do this every year again. Along with Dawlish it would be a great but of course sponsors are needed.

Good luck and lets hope it all comes together.
Rich C

SPTA Enthusiasts Forum
http://spta.proboards84.com/index.cgi?

nickn

Post by nickn »

I'd guessed it was you Ray trying to put a show on again, shame you've lost the Typhoon now, I've sent you a PM I might be able to help you a little bit.

Nick

BearcatPilgrim

Post by BearcatPilgrim »

Just noticed on RAF Display teams website that the King Air is listed for the show, as the show is restricted to military participation maybe Ray could try for the Chinook.

Batman3

Post by Batman3 »

Technically they are free as their next display would be Duxford on the 5th but the crew may have duties on those dates i for one would love the Chinook there. I know it's a low budget your working on - i think the chinook and maybe if the swift aerobatic team are free?

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

It may be there is a little light at the end of the tunnel, just to say please all keep everything crossed, there are people helping us in the background, looks about 60-40 at the moment but I feel a little better, our luck might be turning.
Thanks all for your interest,
Ray

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

:wink: Sorry not been on, had a software problem.
Looking 90-10 now, hope we firm up within the next few days, just waiting on the top man, should mean static aircraft, I will confirm ASP.
Something different, anyone in Plymouth we hold a service at the US Naval Memorial on Normandy Way, St Budeaux on June 3rd at noon, this is a last goodbye to the US Navy who first set up camp in St Budeaux in 1943, Normandy Way is near the Tamar Bridge.
We plan a memorial garden nearby to all who served in WW2 and beyond, we plan a mound of peace which will include small pebbles from around the world, if your on holiday we are always glad of pebbles from the UK and overseas.
Will be back soon,

Ray

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

100%-100% We are on, just confirmed, will try for a little more sponsorship for that extra team.
Thanks All!
Ray :clap:

Batman3

Post by Batman3 »

Awsome keep us updated :smile:

so far iv found confirmed:
Red Arrows
Hawk
King Air
Tutor
Spitfire

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

I can confirm the Red Arrows will be on at 17.00 Local, working hard to build the show up a little, a little land, sea and air. Main thing is we are on and looking at something bigger next year.
Thanks for your support,
Ray

Batman3

Post by Batman3 »

Hi any updates?

BearcatPilgrim

Post by BearcatPilgrim »

Ray, any chance of getting the RNAF Dutch F16 to take part? Having seen its display at Fairford recently it looks spendid in its bright orange colour scheme.

Batman3

Post by Batman3 »

Yeah, definitely need something loud and fast though the number of acts to choose from seems to be getting smaller - maybe French Rafale, i would have thought the cost for the dutch demo team would be quite high?

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

Over the next week it's all go, trying hard, do have two major warships passing, hush, hush at the moment. Pity we have no RN aircraft, USAF are trying , sent a follow up request re F-15 and the Navy in France, the Russian Embassy phoned today, asked if it was only military aircraft we need.
I have a 40 ton tug and a rib in the Sound just asking for an attack, sent a load of request out so all crossed.
Whatever we go for H4H and our injured guys and gals, at 18.00 hrs we lay a single wreath for those serving NATO and the UN, those we have lost.
If we get through this it is all go for 2010, hope there are some op flights on our day, had four F-15's and a tanker over my house tonight, come back of September 3rd please!
Meeting tomorrow, keep you posted.
Ray

Batman3

Post by Batman3 »

Thanks for the update - Sounds good. Yes please keep us posted. I know its a military event but is there no way of extending out just a little further if the russians are willing to send something?

raymacca10

Post by raymacca10 »

Don't worry, still trying very hard and hope for a little more yet, should be interesting at the end as the Red Arrows finish a large ship will move in, anyone up there at 11.30am will also see a large ship pass on her way in for Navy Days. I can now tell you next years show will be on the 21st/22nd July, our Tattoo will follow during the following week, we will pick up from the RIAT and there will be much more military and others.
Regards all!
Ray

Batman3

Post by Batman3 »

Wicked thanks alot. Next year is on the Farnborough Week aswell as the week after RIAT so some very good chances there! Hopefully get the funding for it all. Good work Ray.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Will you bet getting the sea Vixen?

James
Supporting WZ507.

The Americans claim victory right at the end.
As ever.