General Election 2017

Re: General Election 2017

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 3:36 pm

Given the chip-wrapper ( scratch that, it's not even fit for that ! ) that you're quoting, you won't be surprised when I say that I'll wait until it appears in a reputable media outlet before giving it any credence.
Brevet..( Irritating Welsh internet pedant since 1985 )
Not an enthusiast or a spotter..Meh !!
trolio fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Spiny Norman on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:24 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:
This election ... has to be about stopping the Tories increase their majority

Good luck with that - its going to be an absolute rout.

Tory voters will be out in force - they smell the once in a generation chance to destroy Labour.

Don't you mean 'the NHS'?

The Tories' desire to run it into the ground to enable a comprehensive privatisation agenda should see them the most unpopular government since, well, the last one. Remember when we thought Diddy David Cameron and Gideon Osborne were awful! Strange times.
Spiny Norman

Postby Craig on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:48 pm

But yet approval ratings are off the scale. It seems that people are willing to overlook an awful lot. I'm not Corbyn's biggest fan but Brexit proceeding under total Tory control cannot be healthy. Opposition is an important element of UK politics but that seems to be frowned upon at present. All far too partisan. I guess a symptom of modern personality and soundbyte politics.
Craig
UKAR Staff

Postby TKK 140 on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:49 pm

farnboroughrob wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:The TV debates are vacuous, highly staged and only desired by TV companies for ratings and self importance.
They really add little other than add to the dumbing down of politics.

This - I've never heard of anyone saying "I was going to vote for (x) but after seeing them on the tv last night no way - now I'm voting for (y)!".

I would disagree, Nick Cleg came across very well in the 2010 debates and got the best Lib-dem vote ever. In the same debates Gordon came across very poorly and thus was kicked out. There are millions of voters that do change their mind every election, but most people I know don't, and I never have.
Labour are unelectable, for the past 40 years the uk voting public have been slightly to the right of center. Corbyn isn't even left of center, he is way left. Labour needs another Blair, but somebody with some integrity this time. If they get seriously trounced I predict a party split that will set them back 10 years. They just can not square the circle between what long standing MP's want and what the, minuplated, membership vote for . For me the issue with Labour is they are only interested in the 'needy and greedy' while ignoring the other 75% of the population who are aspirational and want to improve their lives through hard work. Anybody know what Labour's Brexit policy is now? Meanwhile will the Tories get nastier?

He came across very well, sold himself and the libdems for a vote on PR and sold out on tuition fees.Yes the TV debates brought all of that out. Humphreys on R4 one to one is the best interviewer around IMHO.
TKK 140

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 10:43 pm

Craig wrote:But yet approval ratings are off the scale. It seems that people are willing to overlook an awful lot. I'm not Corbyn's biggest fan but Brexit proceeding under total Tory control cannot be healthy. Opposition is an important element of UK politics but that seems to be frowned upon at present. All far too partisan. I guess a symptom of modern personality and soundbyte politics.

The ironic thing is that ever since Corbyn was elected leader Labour's worst enemy has been itself.
There are so many within the Party who are so intent on ousting him that they're prepared to lose a GE to achieve their aims.
At least when the 'gang of four' were disgruntled with the way the then Labour Party was going they had the guts to quit & set up their own party, as opposed to being weaselly back-stabbers like the current bunch.
trolio fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:02 pm

One of the issue we have with current politics (and it goes back to the 80s) is that we are too concerned with the image of politicains rather than the message.

Many of Corbyns ideas at least deserve to be considered and debated but we seem to be obsessed with personalities rather than ideas and policy. I am the first to agree that Corbyn is not a good communicator but that does not mean that the ideas that he is communicating are bad ideas
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Russ on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:18 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Many of Corbyns ideas at least deserve to be considered and debated but we seem to be obsessed with personalities rather than ideas and policy. I am the first to agree that Corbyn is not a good communicator but that does not mean that the ideas that he is communicating are bad idea.

Yes, absolutely. His point yesterday about tax evasion is excellent and worthy of much more exposure than it got. The problem is, that it works against a number of people who take full advantage, particularly the loop-holes in corporation tax.
Russ

Postby starbuck on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 1:09 pm

The trouble with Corbyn (and he's not alone in this, just the worst at it) is that it never gets past the ideas stage. It seems he was elected leader on a load of good ideas that people could get behind, it attracted all those new members to the party and then what?

I know that parties don't release manifestos outside of elections but he's in one now and I'm not sure they actually now what they would do to implement all of the ideas into workable policies.

"we want to make Britain fairer" well of course you do, but how?

Anyone hear the absolute car crash of an interview that Dawn Butler gave to Eddie Mair on PM last night?
starbuck

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 1:41 pm

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/04/l ... emocracy/#

Just horrible, she has no right to be an MP based on that performance (ignoring the fact that her constituents thought she was good enough!)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 2:05 pm

The caring Tories strike again.....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39671163

You get the impression one of May's main reasons for calling an early GE is so that they can reverse all the 2015 manifesto promises.
trolio fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 2:09 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Just horrible, she has no right to be an MP based on that performance (ignoring the fact that her constituents thought she was good enough!)

Train-crash politics at it's finest. :lol:
Made even worse by the fact that it was that lightweight interviewer Eddie Mair she was speaking to......imagine what would have happened if it had been a decent interviewer.
trolio fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 2:21 pm

Well after a stressfull interview, she can go home and relax in the whirlpool paid for by...you know who

Expenses controversy
In March 2009, Butler came under criticism for claiming almost the full £23,000 annual second home allowance, despite her other home in Stratford being the same distance from Parliament as her Brent South home.[18][19] She was found to have acted in accordance with the rules as they stood by the subsequent official investigation.[20] She had claimed £2,650 for new central heating and £2,308 for a suite including a whirlpool bath.
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 2:26 pm

And relax with a nice cup of Costa coffee ?
:lol:
trolio fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 1:09 pm

Is this GE trying for the record regarding how many MPs are saying they won't be standing ?
trolio fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Pringles on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 8:40 pm

I'll just leave this here :whistle:

https://www.tactical2017.com

Most constituencies can only be realistically contested by two parties.

This site shows which way you should vote on 8th June to prevent the Tories from getting into power again.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 10:01 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682388 - and here is a prime example of why Corbyn and Labour won't get elected.

He wants to create 4 new bank holidays. There hasn't been a new bank holiday since the May Day holiday was added in 1978 and I can guarantee that any business interest would fight this tooth and nail as they are already appalled at the cost and loss of productivity from the existing bank holidays.

The holidays would be on each nation's patron saint day - St David's Day on 1 March, St Patrick's Day on 17 March, St George's Day on 23 April and St Andrew's Day on 30 November - so he wants to have 3 more days off in the months of March and April, the period of Easter so there are 2 existing bank holidays already and just before the 2 days off in May? :dizzy: :clown:

As someone on another forum commented Corbyn is going the make the Michael Foot leadership debacle look like Tony Blair in his pomp by comparison.
speedbird2639

Postby tankbuster on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 10:06 am

speedbird2639 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682388 - and here is a prime example of why Corbyn and Labour won't get elected.

He wants to create 4 new bank holidays. There hasn't been a new bank holiday since the May Day holiday was added in 1978 and I can guarantee that any business interest would fight this tooth and nail as they are already appalled at the cost and loss of productivity from the existing bank holidays.

The holidays would be on each nation's patron saint day - St David's Day on 1 March, St Patrick's Day on 17 March, St George's Day on 23 April and St Andrew's Day on 30 November - so he wants to have 3 more days off in the months of March and April, the period of Easter so there are 2 existing bank holidays already and just before the 2 days off in May? :dizzy: :clown:

As someone on another forum commented Corbyn is going the make the Michael Foot leadership debacle look like Tony Blair in his pomp by comparison.

I thought that but having reread it I think he is saying he wants one additional day in each country.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Craig on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:22 pm

Could be an interesting one, traditionally you've had "shy Torys" who won't admit to their intentions could there be an element in reverse this time?
Craig
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 1:58 pm

Good to se the negative-campaigning has begun already.
trolio fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Spiny Norman on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 6:27 pm

Wait a minute - more holidays? And some don't like it? I keep reading about workplace dissatisfaction but they must be wrong: people are so happy at their work they don't fancy some more days off.

Put it another way, if a political party suggested cutting the number of Bank Holidays - would that be a vote winner?
Spiny Norman

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 6:56 pm

The call to make the various 'patron saint' days public holidays has reared it's head a number of times over the years, and not just by Labour politicians.
There have also been calls to either have extra bank holidays later in the year or to bin some of the Spring batch of BHs and move them to October/November instead.

NI already has St Patrick's Day as a public holiday & I thought the Scottish changed their system several years ago so that St Andrew's Day was a public holiday ?
trolio fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby KyleG on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 8:16 pm

Worth pointing out for the DM one that the data for each party is taken from two separate polls carried out by different companies, so comparing them doesn't really tell you much. (not that I would expect much else from the Mail)
Canon EOS 50D/1100D
KyleG

Postby speedbird2639 on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 8:01 am

I thought that but having reread it I think he is saying he wants one additional day in each country.

If that is what he means then why not just move the early may holiday to 23 April - no cost to business and provision of annual holiday for England's patron saint - sorted.
speedbird2639

Postby DerekF on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 8:12 am

How about just having more days off? :smile:
DerekF

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic