General Election 2017

Re: General Election 2017

Postby ericbee123 on Thu 18 May 2017, 9:18 am

Brevet Cable wrote:
ericbee123 wrote:Yes. That's the negative BBC spin on it.
:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :facepalm:
Oh, and I'll throw in a
to go with it.

I'm sure lots of other people agree that if you've got £100,000 equity in your home then you should use some of it for your care, rather than wanting the state to pay for your care so you can leave all your money to your children.

Which is just what the Conservatives like people to think.
The fact is, though, that due to the rise over the years of speculators treating houses as investments ( and the rise in buy-to-lease ) a large percentage of houses in the UK are now valued at over £100k.
Just because you live in a house valued at £100k+ doesn't mean you've got much money.

What a daft thing to say. I said if you've got over £100,000 IN EQUITY in your house, that means you have £100,000 in money that you can use. If your kids want it so bad, let them look after you.

My mother has £100,000 in equity in her house, I would rather she used it to have a good remaining life than leave it to me and my brothers.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby DerekF on Thu 18 May 2017, 9:25 am

ericbee123 wrote:Yes. That's the negative BBC spin on it. I'm sure lots of other people agree that if you've got £100,000 equity in your home then you should use some of it for your care, rather than wanting the state to pay for your care so you can leave all your money to your children.

And why shouldn't the state pay? The elderly work long and hard and pay taxes throughout their working lives. Is it too much to ask that the state cares for them when they need it? Perhaps if care home or nursery fees were a little more reasonable then maybe relatives wouldn't have such a problem paying towards them. Charging upwards of £700 per week is simply wrong. But I guess that's what happens when it's left to the private sector.

As always, the wealthy will be fine, the poor will get it all paid for, those of us in the middle will get shafted. Again.

The winter fuel allowance is typical of a policy that looks great but underneath it will be impossible to administer. My mother-in-law gets the winter fuel allowance and she is in a nursing home. Despite numerous letters and e-mails to say she doesn't need it the DWP still sends it every year. If they cannot administer something simple as that then how on earth will it be means tested with any fairness or common sense?
DerekF

Postby speedbird2639 on Thu 18 May 2017, 9:31 am

Despite numerous letters and e-mails to say she doesn't need it the DWP still sends it every year.

Sir Alan Sugar tried to return his Winter Fuel Allowance but they have no mechanism for returned amounts so they could accept it. I believe he donates the amount to charity now as he freely admits he clearly doesn't need the money.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 May 2017, 9:39 am

rdchawk wrote:Thats the problem with the press - Some are biased to one side and some biased the other, you wont get an impartial view.

Labour used to claim the BBC were biased against them; There were claims that the BBC were biased against the EU; The Leave campaigners claimed the BBC were biased against them; The Jewish community claimed the BBC were biased against Israel; The Arab community claimed the BBC were biased against Palestine; They've been accused of being biased towards Muslims; They've been accused of being biased against Muslims; Many in the Labour Party claim that the BBC are biased against Jeremy Corbyn; And now the Conservatives are claiming the BBC are biased against them.
They must be really special if they can manage to be biased against everybody. :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 May 2017, 9:51 am

speedbird2639 wrote:those who couldn't be bothered/ didn't want the indignity of having the DWP rifling through their financial affairs

Out of interest, have you ever tried filling out the various forms ?
They're frequently so badly worded that accountants have difficulty with them.
Some of the information they demand is either nonsensical or of such a nature that the average claimant won't know or remember it.
The whole system relies on people giving up and not bothering.
Better still, if you do manage to complete the forms & make a successful claim, the amount you'll get will either be a pittance or you'll have deductions made from other allowances ( thus potentially finding yourself worse off )

And it's compounded by the current system where someone who's worked and paid into the system all their adult life ( and longer, given that many of the older pensioners started work when they were 14 or 15 ) can find themselves worse off with regards the state pension & additional allowances than someone who's never worked.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 May 2017, 10:18 am

The caring Conservatives again......
An extra £4bn on schools in England by 2022 - partly funded by an end to the current provision of free school lunches for all infant pupils in England

Thatcher snatched the milk, Mayhem'll nick their food.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby speedbird2639 on Thu 18 May 2017, 10:27 am

Always amazes me that people decide to have a child without any thought as to how they are going to feed them. If you can't afford food for your child then maybe don't have a child in the first place? Or maybe spend less of your benefits on 'draw' and lottery tickets.
speedbird2639

Postby DerekF on Thu 18 May 2017, 10:49 am

Well, that's the less well off painted with one brush. You can have no idea about individual circumstances. Giving infants free meals is a "good thing". Why are Tories so against good things?
DerekF

Postby ericbee123 on Thu 18 May 2017, 10:51 am

DerekF wrote:
ericbee123 wrote:Yes. That's the negative BBC spin on it. I'm sure lots of other people agree that if you've got £100,000 equity in your home then you should use some of it for your care, rather than wanting the state to pay for your care so you can leave all your money to your children.

And why shouldn't the state pay? The elderly work long and hard and pay taxes throughout their working lives. Is it too much to ask that the state cares for them when they need it?

You see this is what I don't get. The left are all for taxing the rich until they retire then they turn into poor old pensioners ?

I would quite happily pay more tax if I got the same as people who don't pay tax. I don't want more, just the same. Free dental, free prescriptions, free higher education for a start.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 May 2017, 10:56 am

Move to Wales...... :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Thu 18 May 2017, 11:10 am

DerekF wrote:Well, that's the less well off painted with one brush. You can have no idea about individual circumstances. Giving infants free meals is a "good thing". Why are Tories so against good things?

Yes it's a good thing but it's actually had a detrimental effect on quite a lot of schools financially, which I'm not going in to unless you really want me to.

Certainly for some families it's a shame, but if you are eligible you can still apply for free school meals, that's not changing. And if you're not eligible, well then you can afford to pay (at least in theory, but the criteria for FSM is actually fairly easy to meet).

So yes, it's not exactly a progressive or caring step, but it's probably not the big deal that the other parties will make it out to be.

For the record, I am in no way whatsoever a supporter of the Tories.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Postby vandal on Thu 18 May 2017, 4:09 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:

Always amazes me that people decide to have a child without any thought as to how they are going to feed them. If you can't afford food for your child then maybe don't have a child in the first place? Or maybe spend less of your benefits on 'draw' and lottery tickets.

Yes - Even if you don't spend your benefits that subsidise your wage from your zero hours contract on Lotto, you can always get fed from the Foodbanks.
vandal

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 May 2017, 5:49 pm

And if anyone's interested, ITV have their national Leaders Debate on tonight starting at 20:00hrs.
Well I say Leaders, but May & Corbyn won't be taking part ... it'll be Tim Farron, Nicola Sturgeon, Paul Nuttal, Leanne Wood & Caroline Lucas.
Apparently no 'empty chairs', just that Labour & the Conservatives won't have anyone standing in for their leaders.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby ericbee123 on Thu 18 May 2017, 6:08 pm

I was very dissapointed that the Prime Minister almost ruined The Laura Kuenssberg Show on the BBC News earlier.
ericbee123

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 May 2017, 6:21 pm

Missed that....what did she do/say ?

May was probably somewhat confused, though......on the one hand LK is claimed to be biased against Corbyn, but on the other hand she's not a fan of May's BREXIT plans.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby TKK 140 on Thu 18 May 2017, 7:31 pm

LK is in it for LK, the reporting and sniping style has dragged the Beebs political reporting to a low. Preston was a loss to the Beeb, ITV even managed to get him talking properly.

Just watched 60 seconds of the also runners on ITV's live debate as expected it's just petty point scoring and adds nothing.
TKK 140

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:04 am

Shame that in last night's debate ITV chose to have such blatantly scripted questions.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:05 am

Probably going to be a fair few 'Natalie' cartoons out too. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby tankbuster on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:17 am

That sums up the world for me. I was listening to interviews on the radio where one woman was asked about items in the Tory manifesto. She was quite scathing and disappointed at some of the proposals especially the £100,000 social care proposal. At the end of the interview she was asked "does that mean you may not vote Tory". Her response "Oh no , I would never vote anything but Conservative.". TM could boil her children alive and she would still vote Tory.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby toom317 on Fri 19 May 2017, 7:13 pm

I see wee Ruthie has been that busy bashing the SNP, she didn't see the changes to the winter fuel allowance coming. No doubt after a bit of noise, she'll tow the party line.

Had a Scottish Conservative pamphlet through the door this week, and it is 4 pages of SNP bashing, and no mention of any policy. Along with Kezzer, her and Ruthie are the only ones continually mentioning "Indy Ref 2". Not a single constructive policy/message, between them, of what they would do for Scotland, just don't vote for the SNP.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Craig on Fri 19 May 2017, 8:14 pm

toom317 wrote:I see wee Ruthie has been that busy bashing the SNP, she didn't see the changes to the winter fuel allowance coming. No doubt after a bit of noise, she'll tow the party line.

Had a Scottish Conservative pamphlet through the door this week, and it is 4 pages of SNP bashing, and no mention of any policy. Along with Kezzer, her and Ruthie are the only ones continually mentioning "Indy Ref 2". Not a single constructive policy/message, between them, of what they would do for Scotland, just don't vote for the SNP.

No better in England, very light on detail but big on soundbyte and rhetoric. Thing is I suspect it will work.
Craig
UKAR Staff

Postby TKK 140 on Fri 19 May 2017, 9:30 pm

Craig wrote:
toom317 wrote:I see wee Ruthie has been that busy bashing the SNP, she didn't see the changes to the winter fuel allowance coming. No doubt after a bit of noise, she'll tow the party line.

No better in England, very light on detail but big on soundbyte and rhetoric. Thing is I suspect it will work.

? SNP standing in England now? And its a UK wide election not a narrow nationalist one. Scotland is very well catered for fgs.
TKK 140

Postby toom317 on Sat 20 May 2017, 8:40 pm

TKK 140 wrote:
Craig wrote:

? SNP standing in England now? And its a UK wide election not a narrow nationalist one. Scotland is very well catered for fgs.

What's your point? Is this thread solely for the english?
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Pringles on Sat 20 May 2017, 11:33 pm

TKK 140 wrote:? SNP standing in England now? And its a UK wide election not a narrow nationalist one. Scotland is very well catered for fgs.

"You know text speak is a rule breaker, or are you apeing a.n.other?"

The poster clearly wasn't suggesting the SNP are standing in England, clues being references to "Scottish Conservative" and "Scotland" :whistle: The point that soundbyte and rhetoric seems to be more significant in this election than the policies themselves is more than just "a narrow nationalist one" anyway, it's evident everywhere (yes that includes England)
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic