Problem with Amazon refund

Problem with Amazon refund

Postby Canon on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 11:21 am

Last month we purchased another Sigma 150-600mm lens from amazon. Lens arrived fine. Tested it and found it had a focusing issue, so we decided to get a replacement from Amazon.
They collected the lens the next day and I got an email saying the return was complete, however the new replacement lens has not been sent (showing no sign of it either considering its been at least 3 weeks since we sent the other one back), and Amazon have not refunded my money either.

Just to add to my frustration with Amazon, ordered something on Monday with Amazon prime (it was a prime eligible product and it was instock), so it should have arrived yesterday. However its now Wednesday and I got an email form them saying it will take another 2 days :wall: :mad:

Never had any problems like this before with Amazon.

Any suggestions as to what to do?
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C
Canon

Re: Problem with Amazon refund

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 11:47 am

E-Mail their Customer Services department.
That's what I usually do.

Was it from Amazon themselves, 'fulfilled by Amazon' or from one of the retailers who sells through their site ?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Canon on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 11:54 am

Both items mentioned were from Amazon themselves

Cheers. I will email them today and see what happens
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C
Canon

Postby CJS on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 2:47 pm

I ordered something last week on Prime that I actually needed the following day but it didn't come - I complained, they refunded me and the thing came the next day anyway, so I ended up having it for free and they gave me £5 for the inconvenience. I pointed out I was paying for Prime and would stop doing so if this happened again, the reply was pretty swift!
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Postby Canon on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 6:51 pm

Tried sending Amazon an email from the email address on my Amazon account. Received a reply saying they can't discuss it because the email address I used supposedly wasn't found on their system. Proceeded to then log onto my Amazon account with said email address. :wall:

Edit:
Just emailed them through their 'contact us' page, and the confirmation email that they received the message went straight through to the email address that they said wasn't on their system.... I've been using that account for over a year now, and have used the same email address since I created it, any ideas as to why they couldn't find said email address? :dunno:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C
Canon

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 8:13 pm

Two choices as to why you had to go through the website :
1.By not going through their website to contact them initially it probably threw them & chances are they didn't even look to see if the address was on their system because that option's not on their 'ABC list'
2. Unless the initial contact is made through the website it won't be logged as a 'job' on their system ( and they don't have the option of raising the 'job' manually )
Presumably the latter, but you never know.

Once you've done it 'correctly' by going through their 'contact us' page & one of them sends you an E-Mail, you can then reply to that E-Mail normally without having to go through the website.

Yes, I've had the same thing happen to me in the past.
Similarly I've contacted retailers who sell through Amazon in the past & been told I'd have to contact them via Amazon's 'contact seller' option.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Canon on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm

Finally got my money back.
Extremely disappointed and annoyed with Amazon. :mad:
Not even so much as an apology from them for their complete f*** up of a simple process.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C
Canon

Postby RichCliff on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:52 am

This is nothing to do with the refund but to do with the focus issue. It may sound daft but are you sure it was faulty?

My 150-600 Sport lens had appalling focusing and I read up online quite thoroughly that most of the 150-600's had the same problems.
This is resolved by buying the Sigma USB Dock and calibrating the lens. It doesn't come calibrated and can be way off in terms of front or back focus.

The dock (via a laptop) can calibrate the lens focus issues front or back and coupled with the camera micro adjustment feature then makes the lens very sharp.

I did mine myself although there are places around the country that can calibrate it for you. Canon or Nikon won't, as it's a Sigma lens.

The USB dock is used to update the lens also, new firmware enabled the auto focus speed to become more responsive, up to 25% more than before.
RichCliff

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 1:13 pm

I've been having the opposite problem....they keep giving me refunds ( and I get to keep the goods ) when I haven't even asked for one.
Not that I'm complaining about that. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Canon on Sat 21 Oct 2017, 1:12 am

RichCliff wrote:This is nothing to do with the refund but to do with the focus issue. It may sound daft but are you sure it was faulty?

My 150-600 Sport lens had appalling focusing and I read up online quite thoroughly that most of the 150-600's had the same problems.
This is resolved by buying the Sigma USB Dock and calibrating the lens. It doesn't come calibrated and can be way off in terms of front or back focus.

The dock (via a laptop) can calibrate the lens focus issues front or back and coupled with the camera micro adjustment feature then makes the lens very sharp.

I did mine myself although there are places around the country that can calibrate it for you. Canon or Nikon won't, as it's a Sigma lens.

The USB dock is used to update the lens also, new firmware enabled the auto focus speed to become more responsive, up to 25% more than before.

The focusing motor would pick out an object (or in the case of aircraft, it would pick nothing), 'lock on' to it, and even when we tried to re-focus it wouldn't change focus. Tested on two cameras (80D and 70D) with the same results, both on centre focusing point, shooting a stationary subject. Never had this problem with my other Sigma 150-600mm C, which is extremely quick and accurate with focusing. It wasn't a case of back/ front focusing (had that problem with another Sigma lens before, and corrected it using the dock), when it did pick out the subject it was sharp. And it wasn't an issue with the cameras because well they've been used with multiple different lenses without any such fault, it had exactly the same problem on both cameras as well. It seemed to be a fault with the focusing motor itself. It was also really loud and clunky when focusing unlike my other 150-600mm, which is quiet in comparison. When you're paying almost £800 for a lens, why keep it if its not working as it should and it can easily be sent back to the retailer?
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C
Canon

Return to Off Topic