Movies!

Re: Movies!

Postby Ryan. on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

Depending on the reasoning, no. In the same vein as a big James Bond fan it wouldn't both me who they cast male or female as long as the casting department felt they were the right person for the job.

I try to write as much as possible, stage and radio plays and I've never once thought about the specific gender of any character I've written. I'm not saying it's always like that for every form of entertainment, of course not, but it does happen.

I'm fairly sure we are never going to agree on this, so perhaps better to agree to disagree and take the topic back to films people have watched and liked.
Ryan.

Postby jingernut on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 5:10 pm

So many good trailers out at the moment!

jingernut

Postby starbuck on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 11:48 pm

Just watched Darkest Hour this evening and came away a bit underwhelmed unfortunately.

I actually think Gary Oldman was a poor choice to portray Churchill, I know he wasn't deliberately trying to impersonate him, even going so far as to change the delivery on some of his most famous speeches but it meant that I couldn't get away from thinking that I was watching Gary Oldman dressed up as Churchill.

As for the underground scene, I was sinking lower into my seat the longer it went on, cringeworthy.

Shame really.
starbuck

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 8:29 am

Myself and my good lady went to see "Darkest Hour" at the weekend. She's a history graduate whose degree course was centred around WW2.

Her response? "I don't remember the last time I saw a film with so little story line or plot - and I've seen the 'Minion movie"!"

I wouldn't go quite that far but there were plenty of times during the film I had to fight the urge to look at my watch.

Given they cover broadly similar times in history maybe if we edited 'Dunkirk' and 'Darkest Hour' into one film we may have a watchable film rather than 2 'meh' ((c) Brevet) films - and it would give the opportunity to remove the scenes that ruined both films (the infinitely gliding Spitfire and the Underground scenes)
speedbird2639

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 12:35 pm

Had a well deserved day off last Friday so watched a couple of films. The first was 'Renegades' on Amazon. It was about a team of Navy Seals hunting down Nazi Gold in Sarajevo. A bit 'cheap' but fun and enjoyable.

Then went over to the local flea-pit and watched 'Den of Thieves'. Nothing outstanding, fairly predictable, but killed a couple of hours :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 5:19 pm

So I watched Cloverfield Paradox yesterday. Nothing revolutionary and certainly very cliché but I don't believe it deserves the slating it's received, it's perfectly watchable.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Previous

Return to Off Topic