What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby DerekF on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm

Godless has been excellent - a proper Western
The Punisher - a slow start but got better.Pretty brutal at times.
The Deuce - excellent 1970s set drama

As far as sitcoms are concerned, Motherland was pretty good if a little too accurate at times.
Life in Pieces is pretty funny as well.
DerekF

Postby rdchawk on Tue 12 Dec 2017, 10:54 am

Watched 1st episode of new Grand Tour series - much better than the 1st series, they've binned that awful Celebrity Braincrash thing and have a proper Star in a reasonably priced car feature. A good start and the rest of the series looks good.
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby Berf on Tue 12 Dec 2017, 12:07 pm

Documentaries on Viet Nam - oh how so quickly do we forget (or ignore) the lessons of that war and plunge ourselves into further conflict. Before the bombs fall on North Korea Mr Trump should watch the lies and waste of this war.
Berf

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 12:22 pm

Finally getting around to watching series 7 of TWD.
So, what was all the fuss about with the first episode, then......it was pretty tame, really, not a patch on some of the stuff in GofT & Vikings.
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 12:47 pm

Berf wrote:Documentaries on Viet Nam....

Didn't watch all of it, as it was too politicised in my opinion ( unlike his ACW series )
Was Truong Nhu Tang interviewed at all ?
Did they mention the fact that the Australians & ROKs were very successful in what they did, or did they get missed out completely ?
And did the fact that there were British Merchant Navy ships operating in and out of North Vietnamese ports throughout the conflict get a mention ?
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Berf on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 1:59 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:
Berf wrote:Documentaries on Viet Nam....

Didn't watch all of it, as it was too politicised in my opinion ( unlike his ACW series )
Was Truong Nhu Tang interviewed at all ?

Not in the ones I have seen so far (1-5)

Did they mention the fact that the Australians & ROKs were very successful in what they did, or did they get missed out completely ?

They have been mentioned as taking part but no details on what they did (so far...)

And did the fact that there were British Merchant Navy ships operating in and out of North Vietnamese ports throughout the conflict get a mention ?

Not so far!
Berf

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 3:01 pm

rdchawk wrote:Watched 1st episode of new Grand Tour series - much better than the 1st series, they've binned that awful Celebrity Braincrash thing and have a proper Star in a reasonably priced car feature. A good start and the rest of the series looks good.

Better, but still mind-numbingly boring. I had to force myself to watch to the end. Without the BBC's guiding hand, everything remains horribly self-indulgent and far, far too long. The Switzerland film could easily have been cut by a good ten minutes. One gets the impression Clarkson's ego runs the ship (especially as the studio element of the show is now filmed on his doorstep) and no-one has the balls to stand up to him.

The "Star In A..." segment was awful on the BBC show, so why the need for it? (Other than for the sponsorship coin from Jaguar Land Rover)...
Dan O'Hagan

Postby CJS on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 7:12 am

Been catching up with The A Word series two on the iplayer. More great stuff from the BBC.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Pringles on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:12 pm

For me the series I've most consistently enjoyed this year has to be Detectorists - such a warm and enjoyable programme, with subtle laughs throughout. It's a shame it has to end, but the final episode couldn't have been a much better send-off, wonderful stuff
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby starbuck on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 10:17 pm

Another vote from me for the Detectorists.

Anyone else disappointed with the current series of Peaky Blinders? I know the series ending finale is still to come but it just seems to be more more style than substance now, it's like after 20 odd episodes the writers have run out of ideas with what to do with the Shelby clan. Even killing off a main character in the first episode and drafting in Adrien Brody for this series has still made it pretty dull unfortunately. At least Tom Hardy still seems to steal every scene he's in.

As a contrast the BBC have been repeating all of the earlier series and it's a very different watch with some light moments and humour, and the excellent Sam Neil as the bad guy.

It just goes to show how good and groundbreaking the Soprano's was (nearly 20 years ago!) and the high quality writing that didn't drop over six seasons / 86 episodes
starbuck

Postby AlexC on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 11:15 am

Dangerous Flights on Quest. Also watching the repeats of the Vietnam programmes (came in halfway through the original showing) think it's very good, also the music brings back many memories. Oh, and Third Rock from the Sun currently on C4.

Never watched Peaky Blinders. Completely agree about The Soprano's, and I'd add Boardwalk Empire which was also brilliant.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 12:09 pm

Decided to see what the fuss was about with Peaky Blinders a fortnight ago. Now starting on season three! Very, very good. Stylishly done and with awesome acting from all involved. Do think it misses something without Sam Neill now - he was a superb villain.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 20 Dec 2017, 3:54 pm

Finished series 7 of TWD.
When did they decide to turn it into a comedy.....it's sillier than Z-Nation.
Think they need to change the title too, as there were very few scenes which featured any walking dead.

Still, Amazon's now running series 5 of Vikings ( should have called it series 6, as series 4 was split into 2 parts ) which is still as good as ever :biggrin:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 21 Dec 2017, 3:56 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Decided to see what the fuss was about with Peaky Blinders a fortnight ago. Now starting on season three!

If anyone's interested & doesn't already know, the BBC are showing all 4 series on iPlayer : https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01fj94w/peaky-blinders-series-1-episode-1
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby tankbuster on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:23 am

Brevet Cable wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Decided to see what the fuss was about with Peaky Blinders a fortnight ago. Now starting on season three!

If anyone's interested & doesn't already know, the BBC are showing all 4 series on iPlayer : https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01fj94w/peaky-blinders-series-1-episode-1

Along with some mother great series. I think Peaky Blinders is up there with the best TV drama ever. From the same BBC Christmas promotion, I'm watching the much lauded Line of Duty. I'm on series 3 episode 5 and I see what all the fuss is about. It's brilliantly written with incredible twists and turns and a great script and cast. For people who like their drama a bit quirky I'd recommend Taboo, it's different.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby toom317 on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 4:18 pm

Couple of box sets received over Xmas. Season 1 of Lucifer, a bit disappointing, but ordered season 2 to see what happens now that mummy has escaped. Flash season 1, what a load of garbage, won't be pursuing this franchise any further.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby rdchawk on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 4:24 pm

Just started watching Peaky Blinders.
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby AlexC on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:46 pm

Watched a bit of a film (got fed up after a while and gave up on it) that was on yesterday afternoon, 'A Kid for two Farthings' made in the '50's with Diana Dors etc., based in London, lots of bomb sites still about, kindly Jew, cheerful cockney types etc. with cockney type accents, but the small boy who is sold what he is told is a unicorn (in fact a kid goat with one horn) speaks with a cut-glass Eton type accent. Quite bizarre.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Exiler on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 10:06 pm

Anyone who is into Westerns will love 'Godless' on Netflix. Brilliant mini series, with Jack O'Connell & Jeff Daniels.
Exiler

Postby tankbuster81 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 8:46 am

starbuck wrote:Another vote from me for the Detectorists.

Anyone else disappointed with the current series of Peaky Blinders? I know the series ending finale is still to come but it just seems to be more more style than substance now, it's like after 20 odd episodes the writers have run out of ideas with what to do with the Shelby clan. Even killing off a main character in the first episode and drafting in Adrien Brody for this series has still made it pretty dull unfortunately. At least Tom Hardy still seems to steal every scene he's in.

As a contrast the BBC have been repeating all of the earlier series and it's a very different watch with some light moments and humour, and the excellent Sam Neil as the bad guy.

It just goes to show how good and groundbreaking the Soprano's was (nearly 20 years ago!) and the high quality writing that didn't drop over six seasons / 86 episodes

Love Detectorists, as said previously warm, gentle and subtle humour.Soprano's is still my all time favourite series.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby starbuck on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 12:07 pm

Just finished watching the last series of the Tunnel on Sky really excellent drama.

Never would have thought I would have said that of Sky, even just a few years ago but they are producing some really good programmes these days.
starbuck

Postby AlexC on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 8:55 pm

tankbuster81 wrote:Soprano's is still my all time favourite series.

Couldn't say that it's my all time favourite, but it's way up there, at least somewhere in the top five.
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 3:15 pm

Got one more episode of series 4 of 'Peaky Blinders' to go.
Whilst it's entertaining & they've gone to a lot of effort to get the weaponry, etc. accurate, that's about as far as they went.
As it progressed through each series, the storylines became increasingly farcical and outlandish.
You can also add the twisting of history for no good reason....why did they see fit to make them of Irish gypsy descent when they were plain ordinary Brummie slum-scum, and why have them as former WW1 tunnellers when the real tunnellers were RE colliers, miners & quarrymen ?
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 6:26 pm

Good to have Dirk Gently back on Netflix for Season 2, and have been enjoying re-watching Plebs on Netflix too 'Alright Landlord ?' :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 2:54 pm

Decisions, decisions...
Got £25 of Amazon Prime digital media rewards to use up.
So...Series 7 of GOT, Series 3 of Killjoys, Series 1 of Westworld, Series 4 of Z-Nation, Series 1 of The Expanse, or Series 4 of The Last Ship......?
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic