Cruise is a wimp....
Try this :
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Re: Movies!

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 8:02 pm

'A Million Ways To Die In The West' -- watched it several times, still funny. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 9:45 pm

'XXX - Return of Xander Cage' - totally silly but entertaining & seems lot shorter than it really is.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 2:55 pm

'Alien : Covenant'
Better than 'Promethius', but that didn't take much doing.
You get the impression that Ridley Scott was trying to make it a variation of 'Aliens', even down to having the female dropship pilot with a similar name to the one in 'Aliens' ( Faris, as opposed to Ferro )
Another one of those films where they try to cram too many arcs into the storyline, with enough plot holes you could fly the Sulaco through.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby vandal on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 6:53 pm

Went to see Jurassic World - The Lost Kingdom last night.

Plot line - movie starts rather seriously with Jeff Goldblum's character Dr Ian Malcolm in front of a committee debating whether or not the dinosaurs on the island from Jurassic World should be allowed to live or die as the island they are on is about to be completely destroyed by way of a volcanic eruption.

At the same time, some of the same people still tampering with nature trying to improve on Jurassic World's Indominous Rex. 2 hours long, and worth a watch if you enjoyed any of the other Jurassic films.
vandal

Postby Wes_Howes on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 6:52 am

I saw Solo last night and I rather enjoyed it, not as good as RO IMHO but still nice to get some background on two of the main characters in the story.

One thing I wasn't quite sure about though was when the film is set? The appearance of Darth Maul clearly points to it being set before TPM but between the end of Solo and ANH, Han ages about 20 years, 25 tops, yet Obi Wan ages a lot more. I know they're not human but in the 30 years between ROTJ and TFW, Han certainly did age that much.

The only other part I didn't enjoy was yet another "sassy" (I hate that word) droid. K2S0 was funny, I really enjoyed the screen time he got, L3 however, no.
Wes_Howes

Postby Paul_Reflex on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 7:22 am

Wes_Howes wrote:I saw Solo last night and I rather enjoyed it, not as good as RO IMHO but still nice to get some background on two of the main characters in the story.

One thing I wasn't quite sure about though was when the film is set? The appearance of Darth Maul clearly points to it being set before TPM but between the end of Solo and ANH, Han ages about 20 years, 25 tops, yet Obi Wan ages a lot more. I know they're not human but in the 30 years between ROTJ and TFW, Han certainly did age that much.

The only other part I didn't enjoy was yet another "sassy" (I hate that word) droid. K2S0 was funny, I really enjoyed the screen time he got, L3 however, no.

It is set well after TPM and the rest of the prequels, Darth Maul survives TPM and has robot style legs (and bowels etc presumably) when he appears in the Rebels series.
Paul_Reflex

Postby timuss on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 8:53 pm

Looking forward to this:

Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Spiny Norman on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 12:26 pm

Looking forward to this.

Neil Armstrong biopic with Ryan Gosling as the 'First Man'.

I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
Spiny Norman

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 5:28 pm

Another one on Amazon Prime : 'The Ballad of Lefty Brown'
A quirky Western, with an unrecognisable Bill Pullman in the title role.
I'd put it on a par with 'Open Range', which is ironic given that some reviewers compare this film unfavourably to 'OR' because they say it's too slow whilst forgetting just how slow 'OR' is for much of the time.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby pbeardmore on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 7:26 pm

Thoughts on "Mission Impossible: Fallout"?

Cracking film IMHO
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Tmyers123 on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 9:47 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Thoughts on "Mission Impossible: Fallout"?

Cracking film IMHO

I loved it. And I don’t think they tried to hide the fact that Airbus support the MI movies, with the last one having an A400M with big Airbus Military markings, and in Fallout repeatedly showing the Airbus Helicopters logo on the H125. :grin:
Tmyers123

Postby toom317 on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 6:19 pm

Went to see "The Predator" today. Great start, and for the first 40 mins or so it rolled along nicely. Some good laugh out moments of military humour. Then it all went to cliche formulaic action film mode and went down hill. Standard characters including the savant child that saves the day, and a warning about climate change. Apparently the Predators want to colonise the planet when it warms up. I've a shock for them. When the planet does warm up, it's not the humans they need to worry about, it's the Thing, and all the other alien craft currently frozen in the Arctic and Antarctica. :grin:

On a par with AVP2, and that isn't a compliment.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 6:42 pm

And the Nazi zombies! :lol:

Picked up the DVDs of 'Ready Player One' & the Bruce Willis remake of 'Death Wish' the other day, not got around to watching them yet though.
Also got the DVDs of 'Deadpool 2' & 'Solo' on order, both due out over the next week or so.
Should keep me occupied. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 7:31 am

The Bruce Willis remake of 'Death Wish' -- A decent film, which only falls down because as a remake it'll automatically be compared with the original.....and with the best will in the world, Willis ain't no Bronson.

'Ready Player One' -- Age-rated 12, so wasn't expecting much, but was actually surprised that it sticks reasonably closely to the book ( if it had stuck fully to the book, it would have been about 6 hours long :lol: )
A good 'switch your brain off & grab a beer' film

Edited to add....

'Deadpool 2' -- Errr....yes!! As crude,violent & silly as the first one, but more so. :biggrin:
Definitely one that needs to be watched several times, if only to catch all the things happening in the background.
Roll on DP3.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 1:00 pm

This is out on DVD very soon, looks good for the chopper scenes, just need to learn some spanish, or be quick at reading the subtitles lol.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Ihsxxy268
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 5:38 pm

Solo ( on DVD ) -- Given the negativity of a lot of the reviews, I wasn't expecting much.
I'll have to admit that I enjoyed it, though.....much better than R1 in my opinion, more so because it pretty much omitted any of the normal 'Star Wars Universe' for much of the film.
Yes, it was clichéd, yes, I spent most of it looking for scenarios they'd nicked from other films/series, but it was no different from most other films in that respect.
Hopefully when they make the sequels - I assume they're going to - they won't mess with the current formula.

Edited to add...
One thing that did surprise me, though, is that the actor who played Solo ( Alden Ehrenreich ) isn't related to Rodney Rowland ( Cooper Hawkes in 'Space: Above And Beyond' ).....or is it just me who sees the resemblance?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm

I just watched Solo tonight too. It was OK, but I much prefer Rogue One. Still the best in the franchise IMO.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 5:44 pm

Daylights End' ( on Amazon prime ) -- pretty much an 'I Am Legend' rip-off, but an entertaining turn-off-brain-and-drink-beer movie.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Tmyers123 on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 7:18 pm

Saw The Equalizer 2 in cinemas a few weeks ago, really enjoyed it. Wasn’t sure if it would live up to the original but it was even better IMO, with Denzel Washington putting in a stellar performance as per. One of those “ex-military guy turned nice guy turned vigilante” films, but at the same time not mindless, and with a decent story.
Tmyers123

Postby AlexC on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 8:06 pm

A friend has just given me the DVD of 'Hidden Figures' to watch. Looks good.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby CJS on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 8:46 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Daylights End' ( on Amazon prime ) -- pretty much an 'I Am Legend' rip-off, but an entertaining turn-off-brain-and-drink-beer movie.

I thought with your home brew it was the beer which turned off the brain :-o
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 8:41 am

Yep...that too.
I only had 4 bottles whilst watching it, so I went for a progressive shut-down. :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby mcphilip on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 6:43 am

I watch movies on Netflix these days. I finished watching The Purge trilogy recently.
mcphilip

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 6:08 pm

Watched one of them several months ago, can't remember which one but probably the first......didn't think much of it, to be honest.

Recently watched 'Shoot em Up' for the umpteenth time, simply because it's so ridiculously OTT - what other film has someone being killed with a carrot? :lol: ....... Oh, and :drool: Monica Bellucci !! :drool:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic