F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 2:08 pm

Seems to be one common theme in the motorsports ( and other ) media today....that Leclerc's definitely replacing Kimi next season.
So, no reason for Kimi to bother following team orders from now on, then. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 8:27 am

Kimi out, Charles in.

Nice to see Ferrari's tribute to KR praised his 'human qualities'!

Doubt he'll get a drive next season or if he really wants one to be honest. I'll miss the radio chat though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45477134
starbuck

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 8:30 am

And it comes as no surprise that it's now official.....Kimi's leaving Ferrari at the end of this season.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45477134

Edited to add....
And the new rumour is that he's going to Sauber ( where he started his F1 career )
Be an interesting move if true, given their current lowly position -- unless he's trying to 'do a Schumacher' & turn them into a winning team.

Edited again to add....
Not just a rumour -- Kimi's apparently posted on social media that he's definitely moving to Sauber.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 8:48 am

Officially official, then :lol:
https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/kimi-raikkonen-to-race-for-the-alfa-romeo-sauber-f1-team-from-2019-2

The Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team is delighted to announce that Kimi Räikkönen will join the team from 2019. The 2007 Formula One World Champion has signed for the next two seasons.

In his career, Kimi Räikkönen has secured 20 Grands Prix wins and 100 podiums, making him one of the most highly regarded drivers in the history of the sport. The Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team looks forward to the arrival of the Finnish driver, with whom the team shares the common goal of achieving ambitious results.

Frédéric Vasseur, CEO of Sauber Motorsport and Team Principal of the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
“Signing Kimi Räikkönen as our driver represents an important pillar of our project, and brings us closer to our target of making significant progress as a team in the near future. Kimi’s undoubted talent and immense experience in Formula One will not only contribute to the development of our car, but will also accelerate the growth and development of our team as a whole. Together, we will start the 2019 season with a strong foundation, driven by the determination to fight for results that count.”
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby ianf on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 10:10 am

British GP will still be shown Live on Channel 4 plus highlights of all other GP in new deal with Sky & Ch 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45494135
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 10:35 am

I love the way that the BBC are trying to spin it as being a wonderful thing, when it's not.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 2:15 pm

I'm amazed the BBC are even reporting on it, given that its nothing to do with them now.

I'm glad I have found a platform from where I can watch all the races recorded live and, to be quite frank I think I prefer not being chained to the sofa on a Sunday lunchtime now. So, in one sense it matters little to me. But good grief do the c4 team grate on me.

As for the Kimi story, I dont really get why he would. But then, Kimi does what Kimi wants :grin:

Hearing that Markelov might be in a Williams next year. Another exciting prospect in my book.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 5:52 pm

The BBC still cover it on Radio 5 and - increasingly, unfortunately - on-line but I wonder how much longer it'll be before the coverage goes to a commercial station, though.

C4's presenters....in my opinion they should ditch Coulthard, Jones, Jordan & the pointless Susie Wolff and replace them with Lee Mckenzie, Karun Chandhok & Mark Webber ( or poach Louise Goodman from ITV ) but definitely NOT Suzi Perry !
( Not that it makes much difference, as I never bother watching the 'highlights' shows now )

Edited to add..
Didn't take long, did it.... :roll:
https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2577/report-mick-schumacher-a-target-for-toro-rosso/
Hopefully it's the nonsense it appears to be, especially given his interview with Jenny Gow on Radio 5 a few weeks ago when he readily admitted he isn't good enough or experienced enough to move to F1 any time soon.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby speedbird2639 on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 7:58 pm

he readily admitted he isn't good enough or experienced enough to move to F1

That didn't stop his Dad. Eddie Jordan asked him if he had ever been round the Spa circuit, Michael replied that indeed he had. What he declined to tell Eddie was that it was only on a push bike! Mercedes paid the Jordan team £150k to secure MSC the drive until the end of the season, he repaid them by immediately leaving and joining Benetton. We should've guessed at that stage the level of gamesmanship that was going to follow over the years.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 7:09 am

No different to any other F1 driver, then.
It wasn't Schumacher who told EJ he'd been around Spa, it was his manager ( Weber ) and Schumacher didn't have a contract with Jordan....there was a proposal between Mercedes & Jordan, which hadn't been formally agreed - as EJ found out, when he lost the court case.

Gamesmanship from F1 drivers? Who'd have thought it....he wasn't the first nor the last & it still goes on today, as do team orders, dubious tactics & cheating by both drivers & teams.
Double standards from some on here, though... if you say Schumacher indulged in all of those things - which he & the teams he drove for did - you get roars of approval for saying so......but say that Senna was worse - definitely more dangerous - or that Hamilton is no different and you get pilloried.

As for Mick Schumacher, he did effectively say in the interview "I'm not my father" ( although no doubt there are already some people who have a downer on him simply because of the family name ) and he did say that his uncle Ralf made the mistake of moving up to F1 too early.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 11:35 am

I've been watching the f3 this season (part of the DTM weekend) and Mick is making progress.. but he's got some way to go without question.
It would undoubtedly make a few headlines but I'd rather the lad was taken on his own merit. I'd also like to see the likes of Russell, Markelov, Albon and Antoine Hubert get a chance ahead of him. But then again, history is littered with drivers who never really got their chance.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 1:21 pm

Oops...who put that wall there.... :facepalm: :biggrin:
Vettel still doing his best to throw the Championship away.

Forza Kimi !! :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby ianf on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 2:09 pm

Wow what a qualifying. I did not expect the result. It makes the start tomorrow even more interesting.
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 2:21 pm

Can't fault that pole position lap, even taking into account the team's usual turning the wick up. :up:
Second on the grid was a bit unexpected too.

Am I the only one thinking Ferrari were trying to screw Kimi over in Q2 with that tyre choice, given how badly the Mercedes did on them in Q1 ?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby ianf on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 2:31 pm

I think they had done badly by Kimi all season. I'm curious what would have happened if he had been allowed to race all season, as I think he has out drove Vetel many times this season. Ferrari are still the faster car, which makes this result not a certainty for the race. I keep thinking back to the last race, Hamilton got Kimi on the safety car restart, normally that's game over, but kimi came back and went round him like he was standing still. So providing we don't get a crash at the start, it's game on.
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 4:10 pm

That's one of the things that annoyed me listening to Radio 5's preview show on Thursday when they were rubbishing Kimi's results over the last couple of years, with the obligatory "well he hasn't won any races".... you'd have thought they'd know that Ferrari wouldn't let him - and the fact that it's only this season that they've actually had a car capable of beating the Mercedes - because his job is to ensure Vettel did.
Ironically they compared him to Barrichello, given that he was another Ferrari driver who could have won a lot more races if it wasn't for team orders ( who can forget the 2002 Austrian GP )

Wonder how eventful the start's going to be, given who's on the front row.....I don't think Max'll back down if Hamilton tries his usual tactics. :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 12:17 pm

Ooops!!
Perez indulges in fratricide again. :facepalm:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 2:54 pm

A deserved win ( again disproving the 'Ferrari is much faster' myth ) but another fairly boring procession, with the main front-runner interest happening around the pit-stops and the odd times when Max decided to have a go.
The only real interest for most of the race was down to the mid- and back-field drivers.
The way Ferrari & Vettel have thrown it away - and continue to do so - has pretty much handed the Drivers Championship to Hamilton on a plate ( yes, there are still 6 races to go, but I foresee more stupidity from them )

Perez.....what on earth was he thinking - twice !
Ditto the mobile chicane, Sirotkin.
And yet there are people out there wondering at Sauber opting to sign Kimi instead of a young, untried driver.

Oh, and Alonso :up:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 3:04 pm

Has Perez actually signed with any team for next season.....don't think he has, has he?
Wonder if Force India will bin him in favour of someone who's not an accident waiting to happen?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 10:21 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Has Perez actually signed with any team for next season.....don't think he has, has he?
Wonder if Force India will bin him in favour of someone who's not an accident waiting to happen?

I may be wrong (not unusual) but I think I heard something about one of the conditions of his actions (i.e. resulting in Sahara F.I. calling in the adminstrators) was that he would be guaranteed a seat in next years car...

As said..I may be wrong. :dizzy:
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 6:43 am

Yep, that's what he was effectively saying at the time.
The question is, as the team is under new ownership & lost all the points they'd won as F1 classed them as a new team, would that give them a get-out?
"Sorry, that agreement was with Sahara Force India, not Racing Point Force India" :whistle:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 8:00 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Yep, that's what he was effectively saying at the time.
The question is, as the team is under new ownership & lost all the points they'd won as F1 classed them as a new team, would that give them a get-out?
"Sorry, that agreement was with Sahara Force India, not Racing Point Force India" :whistle:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time a formula 1 pulled a stunt like that.
Adrian Sutil had a cast iron guaranteed contract with Sauber a few years back and they still found a way out of honouring it.
Where is he these days by the way?
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 8:12 am

Still crashing into other drivers & fighting in nightclubs? :lol:
I seem to recall he's not a Hamilton fan either....wasn't Hamilton supposed to be a witness to the nightclub assault case but didn't attend the trial - too busy playing with his car - which meant Sutil was found guilty?

Edited to add....
Probably a bit far-fetched, but I've seen speculation that Nicholas Latifi will be promoted from development driver next season simply because of family business connections.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 10:57 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Still crashing into other drivers & fighting in nightclubs? :lol:
I seem to recall he's not a Hamilton fan either....wasn't Hamilton supposed to be a witness to the nightclub assault case but didn't attend the trial - too busy playing with his car - which meant Sutil was found guilty?

Edited to add....
Probably a bit far-fetched, but I've seen speculation that Nicholas Latifi will be promoted from development driver next season simply because of family business connections.

I think A.S. is another of those drivers who did a decent job with the kit available to them. He was also the driver whos car was being recovered by the JCB that fateful day in Suzuka a few years ago.
The wine glass incident certainly harmed his career though. Depending on who you believe it was either a deliberate act of glassing or a drink in the face which accidentally led to the glass being broken. Either way, the incident started through the odious Eric Lux insulting Sutil (insinuating he was gay) and harrassing A.S.'s girlfriend. Lulu was present, saw the whole incident but was (most likely) instructed to not submit a statement by his then employer McLaren. It went to court, A.S. got a suspended sentence and that pretty much was that.
There's no sign of him on the internet since he left F1 though.

If Latifi gets a seat in F1 next year then there really is no justice in the sport.
The rumour mill is going wild at the moment though. George Russell to Williams too...
borismorris

Postby McG on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 11:21 am

Got back from Singapore last night. Up until Quali Q3, Ferrari and Red Bull looked stronger than Mercedes. Audible gasps in the crowd when Lewis’s quali lap time flashed up on the screen. Think it’s fair to say that the pressure is getting to both Ferrari and Vettel. Their race strategy of going from hyper soft to ultra soft rather than soft like the rest of the teams cost them a chance to challenge Verstappen for 2nd.

I still think Ferrari have the better car package this year, and can’t help but feel that if Lewis was in the Ferrari title would already have been won.
McG

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic