Alan Davies - is he right?

Re: Alan Davies - is he right?

Postby nigelblake on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:01 am

DerekF wrote:Personally I am disappointed that Alan Davies apologized. He is right and should have stuck to his guns.

Indeed! I agree wholeheartedly, being forced into public apology by the media frenzy that generally overblows someone's well formed and articulated views is all too common......... and especially so when balanced against a media that rarely apologizes for it's own failings!
nigelblake

Postby Dragon Rapide on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:08 am

It doesn't matter to whom he was being disrespectful or perhaps plain rude is the better word. The tone of his rant was inaappropriate and he apoligised for it. Why anyone can get so excercised about whether or not the team plays is beyond me. Members of the public died in a tragic accident many years ago and today people are still arguing about it and whether or not it is "respectful" to play football on the anniversary of the event. Does it matter?
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide
Dragon Rapide

Postby DerekF on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:36 am

You're right it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things. I just thought it would be an interesting debate which you were free to ignore should you choose.
I never did understand those who join in a debate to tell us all how pointless the debate is.... :roll:
DerekF

Postby Pat Murphy on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:40 am

I am a lifelong Red and in my opinion for what it's worth, I don't think we should play on that day, until everything about what happened that day is out in the open. I believe that the current investigation stands the best chance so far of it all being out in the open. Maybe after this the date can be looked at again.
A colleague of mine in Aerospace was in the Lepings lane end at the time in the tier above and I remember only too well his reaction and problems after the event. Not good.

As for Alan Davies. I always found him funny on the television. Maybe I am less inclined to watch him now.
http://www.northwalesbreaks.co.uk
Formerly known as Ilovelightnings
Pat Murphy

Postby Dragon Rapide on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:53 am

DerekF wrote:You're right it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things. I just thought it would be an interesting debate which you were free to ignore should you choose.
I never did understand those who join in a debate to tell us all how pointless the debate is.... :roll:

I felt the question that needed addressing was the inappropriatness of the publicly written words and therefore the correctness of his apology rather than the reasons for the original comments. That seems to me to be a reasonable response to the OP. I am not telling anyone anything, simply expressing an opinion, as we are all entitled to do here.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide
Dragon Rapide

Postby Trevsy on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

Agree with both the comments on Liverpool dictating the fixture list and Dalglish.

Kenny Dalglish. "Every interview he's given this season he looks like he wants to headbutt the interviewer," he said. "This tight-mouthed, furious, frowning, leaning-forward, bitter Glaswegian ranting"'

The man is absolutely vile. A disgrace to his club and football. In recent appearances hes broken alsorts of boundaries of just regular decency. If you get a chance look up his post match interview from the Blackburn game, shameful. One of the comments in the YouTube clip sums him up perfectly "A face like an angry scrotum".
"Dom Pérignon '62 Red 5?" - Roger Moore
Trevsy

Postby Skyflash on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm

I wouldn't say he is definitely right, although he is of course perfectly entitled to raise the issue. As a (relatively part-time) LFC fan I can tell you that the whole Hillsborough thing has resonances which, even to this day, have left the club traumatised beyond belief. Perhaps one day LFC will once again play matches on 15 April (and I expect that finally getting the police to admit to a degree of culpability will be the catalyst for this). However in the meantime, if they want to opt-out of playing on the Hillsborough anniversary, I can't see how anyone can make them, or even what they would expect to gain by doing so.

Sadly, and for all that Alan Davies has made a valid point, the awful, snide manner in which he chooses to do so rather detracts from his argument. I have always liked him (QI and Jonathan Creek being among my favourite programmes of recent years), but I feel rather let down by his childish rant.

Here's my question: in an era in which we are (sadly) all too accustomed to games being shunted around to suit the vagaries of TV scheduling, why couldn't BOTH matches be played on the 14th…? Play the Merseyside derby at a neutral venue in the NW (Old Trafford, say) with an early kick-off, and then play the Chelsea-Spurs tie at tea-time at Wembley. Simples.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash

Postby Skyflash on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm

Trevsy wrote:Agree with both the comments on Liverpool dictating the fixture list and Dalglish.

Kenny Dalglish. "Every interview he's given this season he looks like he wants to headbutt the interviewer," he said. "This tight-mouthed, furious, frowning, leaning-forward, bitter Glaswegian ranting"'

The man is absolutely vile. A disgrace to his club and football. In recent appearances hes broken alsorts of boundaries of just regular decency. If you get a chance look up his post match interview from the Blackburn game, shameful. One of the comments in the YouTube clip sums him up perfectly "A face like an angry scrotum".

So out of his depth in the modern footballing world it's unreal, and the pressure is clearly beginning to tell. It's interesting to see that Damien Comolli has just been removed as DoF, and I suspect that Dalglish will be next. However the experience of sacking a club legend like KK would be a bit trauamtic to say the least, so I expect him to be [euphemism alert] 'moved upstairs' in the summer, with a new man taking over at the sharp end of first-team coaching.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash

Postby Pat Murphy on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:46 pm

Trevsy wrote:Agree with both the comments on Liverpool dictating the fixture list and Dalglish.

I think you'll alaoo find that the interview with the Beeb was a completely different tone. Dalglish has come in for some stick for his attitude in post match press interviews in the past and he doesn't need me to defend him so I won't but I will make the point that the post match interview you refer to was with Sky's reporter Andy Burton. You might want to Google his name with Wolves to be reminded what sort of person he is. His post match interview after the Carling Cup final with Carragh was nothing short of disrespectful to a player who has given his all to Liverpool over the years. His attitude to Sian Massey was a disgrace. :mad:
http://www.northwalesbreaks.co.uk
Formerly known as Ilovelightnings
Pat Murphy

Postby Ryand19 on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

Don't understand how Liverpool fans can be offended by the what Alan Davies has said and then happily wave their "Steaua 1986" flag at every Merseyside derby.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Ryand19

Postby ericbee123 on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

RoverDriver wrote:Some people have the selectivity of a Spaniel in remembering some things that are important to them and going off on one about it to the world, then disregarding what's important to others. That's why some football supporters (as one example) respect a silence in memory of an event while the opposition supporters shout abuse and show disrespect during the "silence".

I have anniversaries that mean something to me - I get on with life on those days, but I don't forget. I suspect some/many of the Liverpool supporters of today who are shouting the loudest about the perceived injustice of Hillsborough were either not there or were not even born at the time. I could get upset about Adolph Hitler and WW2 - but I wasn't there, so I don't. I wouldn't want one event to overshadow the rest of my all too short life.

Even this thread proves Godwins Law to be true.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby PhilW on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:12 pm

Warton GR4 wrote:If someone drinks, and then drives, and kills someone, they've broken the law and should be punished. If you enter a football ground, without a ticket, and someone dies because of it, you've broken the law and should be punished. It doesn't matter which gates were open, when people arrived or where the people went. If you don't have a ticket, don’t go to the game. When hooligans decide to break the law, on mass, people get hurt just look at the riots last year. Just because a shop front has been smashed in doesn’t mean you can help yourself to a new TV and likewise, just because the gate to the stadium is open, doesn’t mean you can see the match for free.
Out of interest, did any Liverpool fans ever get locked up for it?
Mark

You might like to have a read through this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19574108

Confirmation of facts such as:
As a result he asserted that beyond 3.15pm there were no actions that could have changed the fate of the victims and he limited the scope of the inquest accordingly.

But by analysing post mortem reports the panel have found that 28 did not have obstruction of blood circulation and 31 had evidence of heart and lungs continuing to function after the crush.

This means that individuals in those groups could have had potentially reversible asphyxia beyond 3.15pm, in contrast to the findings of the coroner and a subsequent judicial review.

And the panel states clearly that 'it is highly likely that what happened to those individuals after 3.15pm was significant' in determining whether they died.

will hopefully explain why the subject brings out strong emotions from those close to the event at the time.
:sad:
PhilW

Postby Spiny Norman on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

Someone above described Kenny Dalglish as vile and a disgrace to his club. I always thought his behaviour after Hillsborough showed the true mark of a decent man. This was much forgotten in the Suarez Racism Row, I thought he should have been given more slack as the loyalty Dalglish felt to the players and the club was on such a high level he saw it important to safeguard. He might have been wrong, but he certainly wasn't vile or a disgrace.

If you want to label anyone vile - how about the Sun's editor Kelvin Mackenzie? Worth looking up the extract from Dalglish's book where he suggests to Mackenzie in the days after the tragedy he prints a headline, in the same bold type: "The Lies".
Hold it...steady...steady...steady. Bombs gone.
Spiny Norman

Postby T3MP3ST on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:56 pm

Hmmm - surely the most fitting tribute would be to play - after all, all those fans who perished that awful day all went to watch footie.
IMO - playing (and hopefully winning!), is the most fitting tribute there is.
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky. ~Amelia Earhart~
T3MP3ST

Postby iainpeden on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

Heard the news this week?
iainpeden

Postby Trevsy on Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

Spiny Norman wrote:Someone above described Kenny Dalglish as vile and a disgrace to his club. I always thought his behaviour after Hillsborough showed the true mark of a decent man. This was much forgotten in the Suarez Racism Row, I thought he should have been given more slack as the loyalty Dalglish felt to the players and the club was on such a high level he saw it important to safeguard. He might have been wrong, but he certainly wasn't vile or a disgrace.

If you want to label anyone vile - how about the Sun's editor Kelvin Mackenzie? Worth looking up the extract from Dalglish's book where he suggests to Mackenzie in the days after the tragedy he prints a headline, in the same bold type: "The Lies".

Dalglish is vile and a disgrace. Just because you support your club following a tragedy, it doesn't mean that you have to behave in an aggressive, rude and confrontational way when you manage them for a second tenure, not to mention his position in Suarez racism row. I think he had the effect of sullying primarily his, but unfortunately to a lesser degree also Liverpool's reputation, with his behaviour in public last season. I also agree the editor of the Sun at the time of Hillsborough is a disgrace. 
"Dom Pérignon '62 Red 5?" - Roger Moore
Trevsy

Previous

Return to Off Topic