I'll have a pint of...

Re: I'll have a pint of...

Postby Thumper on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 9:21 am

Having just moved to an area that has many local ales I have recently been enjoying Buckham Off Hoppy Beer and Silent Slasher. The less attractive sounding "Piddle in a Bottle" is also quite nice but you can't help but be put off by the name!! Plenty of home made Scrumpy here too but the problem is finding one that doesn't taste like vinegar and doesn't leave you in a coma (or does if you so wish) :wink:
Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Postby AndyXH558 on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 10:28 am

Anyone tried Trooper Ale yet. had a couple of bottles last week and its very nice. :rock:
AndyXH558

Postby JackyRIATWilson on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 10:36 am

Had a Lancaster Blonde the other day, and very nice it was too! :wink:
JackyRIATWilson

Postby Tonka 617 on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:12 am

AndyXH558 wrote:Anyone tried Trooper Ale yet. had a couple of bottles last week and its very nice. :rock:

+1 , managed to find somewhere to buy a few bottles, i enjoyed it
Tonka 617

Postby Giant on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:19 am

AndyXH558 wrote:Anyone tried Trooper Ale yet. had a couple of bottles last week and its very nice. :rock:

Had it on draught in Manchester and even Uxbridge, an all round good pint!
Giant

Postby Giant on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:38 am

Travelling the country for football, we always seek out places that sell good and varied drinks. I'm lucky that I can drink pretty much anything in a pint pot or a wine glass but as I get older, Real Ale is the big favourite. That said, as age goes on, I am starting to drink a lot more milds and darker beers, especially during the winter! In the summer, the refreshing citrus'y beers are great but it depends where I am.

In Uxbridge we really struggle for pubs offering a variety of beer, even our Wetherspoons isnt very ale focussed. I deplor drinking the same old Marstons (Group), Doombar, London Pride and Green King (Group) beers as they simply have lost their edge. I actively seek out guest beers when I'm out locally and when I travel, I want to drink whats local to that area. Regular attendance of beer festivals and weekends away with the Good Beer Guide spoil me in essence, so I can come across as overly fussy and am not averse to simply walking in and out of a pub if they are not offering what I want!

A recent trip to the Royal Norfolk Show saw us come back armed with varied liquers (for digestive reasons of course) and some quality cider and whilst watching cricket this week, Stowford Press has been very welcomed on a warm summers evening! More Cricket tonight at the Oval, so probably struggle for a decent Ale or Cider there but Ealing Beer Festival is tomorrow to make up for it! On another slant, I'm currently speaking to colleagues about our RIAT Beer supply for the week......

Happy Drinking!
Giant

Postby Mad Dan on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:55 am

In between slurps, Giant murmured:
our RIAT Beer supply for the week......

Make sure that you have some red wine handy - and I'll drop by for a taste...

I know where you work!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...
Mad Dan

Postby DaveM on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 1:33 pm

In no particular order:

When on tap...
Old Speckled Hen
Doombar
Brakespear / EPA

Or in cans...
Kronenbourg
Old Speckled Hen.
DaveM

Postby jacksonphreak on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm

Yeah Andy.....I bought three bottles the other night and it's now one of my favorites!!! (Not bias towards Iron Maiden.....much!!) :rock:

Cheers
Steve
jacksonphreak

Postby AndyXH558 on Sat 06 Jul 2013, 4:00 am

Me neither... :whistle:

dont suppose some of the guys coming over for RIAT from Europe could pick me up a bottle or two of that delerium cherry beer? will pay for it of course.
AndyXH558

Postby tankbuster81 on Sat 06 Jul 2013, 11:21 am

From shepherd Neame i do like a spitfire,and partial to Bishops finger.and the odd Cold cold guiness.
Usually drink Brandy or a nice scotch.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby rdchawk on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 6:40 am

Had a nice pint of Hertford castle last night, gladly a local brewed ale (in Hertfordshire) think i might have to buy a few more of them.
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby stratocaster on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 11:42 am

Black Cuillin,or from Cairngorm brewery "Black gold",and if those aren't available,Belhaven 80 shilling.Then it's onto the Guinness or Beamish black if there's not much to choose from.Not much into the old Mick Jagger,but found one outside of the German lagers which surprised me as it's brewed in Edinburgh.Stewarts' "Holyrood" lager.Not bad at all!
Card carrying aviation addict!
stratocaster

Postby Skyflash on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

The fabulous (and multi-award winning) Deuchars, from the Caledonian Brewery. The taste of Edinburgh. :drool:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Postby Giant on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 11:54 am

In the case of the Ealing Beer Festival on Saturday, it was a case of I will have a pint of what youve got left! Arrived an hour after opening to find free entry (which should have been a sign! :roll: ) and went to the tent to find about 20 barrels of beer left! Some nice ones I will say but by 4pm they were down to 2 with queues out of the marqee! It was supposed to be open till 6pm!

Now not having loads of beer left to go to waste is a good thing but after they had a successfull Thursday night, you thought they could have ordered more in for the Saturday? I know Norwich Beer Festival does this when flow is good in the week.
Giant

Postby Tommy on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:23 pm

I'm on a roll at the moment; check this out for a thread revival!!! :lol:

Upon moving to Cardiff, I established my local watering-hole before I had made my bed (which turned out to be a slight problem stumbling home that night!), one of the beers they do there which I've recently started drinking is called "Siluria", a pretty nice golden pilsner. Hipster to all hell, but pretty refreshing, and not too bitter.

8/10 can recommend.

http://www.ansteesiluria.com/home/
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 4:13 pm

If you fancy unleashing your inner beardiness, have you tried the other local brew yet ?
No, I don't mean Brains, I mean 'Tiny Rebel' https://www.tinyrebel.co.uk/beers/
Their brewery is in Newport ( some would say it's the only good thing to come from there :lol: ) and they've got a bar in Cardiff ( Westgate Street )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby FarnboroJohn on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 5:06 pm

Good thread revival!

This summer I've been enjoying Sharp's Sea Fury locally (I've downed more Sea Furies than the RNHF :whistle: ) which I think was on a launch sales push but has sadly disappeared from the North East Hampshire area again now. Deep red and full flavoured. Perhaps more likely to be found in the South West. Pity - its got the strength and depth that Doom Bar lacks, though I'm not averse to that when necessary. If it pitches up as a guest I'll be straight on it.

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby Berf on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 5:28 pm

anything as long as it is not Swedish....
Berf

Postby Talldan76 on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 5:35 pm

I’ve had a few pints of this over the last few weeks:

Adnams Dry Hopped Lager.

http://adnams.co.uk/beer/our-beers/jack ... ped-lager/

Has a lovely taste, much better than almost all other lagers on the market...
Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Postby Georgeconna on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 5:51 pm

Beamish - A local Stout - Natural and Zero Hangover. Sorted
Cheers

George

2017 shows
Yeovilton via Webcast from My Armchair.
Foynes and Bray for my sins.
Thats me done for 2017
Georgeconna

Postby Red Dragon on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 6:12 pm

Depending on what mood I'm in

On tap
Kronenbourg
San Miguel

Cans
Kronenbourg
Fosters

Bottled Beer
Spitfire
Trooper

Spirits
JD & Coke
Vodka & Orange

Cocktails
Mojito

:drool: :hypno: :heyhey: :smile:
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
Red Dragon

Postby AndyXH558 on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 7:40 pm

I'm rather partial to a beligian lambic fruit beer. found some in a supermarket near llanvsisiau and it was really good. just wish i had remembered what type it was?

and has anyone tried the new maiden beer Hallowed yet?
AndyXH558

Postby farnboroughrob on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 8:58 pm

Peroni Gran Reserva in the bottle, on draught anything that isn't fosters/carling, carlesberg. Love the Spanish beers, always drink the local brews when on holidays. Estrella, and Dorada at 1.50e a pint go down well.Never done bitters but love cider in the summer. Real cider , with bits floating in it! When at Yeovilton seek out Old Joes cider for a take away of Sui-e-cider, never last long enough though!
farnboroughrob

Postby AndyXH558 on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 9:25 pm

Raspberry twist that they serve at the phantom and flanker is always my favouite there. so right about real scrumpy too.
AndyXH558

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic