What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 22 Jun 2017, 7:59 pm

Series 5 of 'Ripper Street' started on BBC2 this week.
Along with 'Versailles' & 'Dr Who' that's my iPlayer viewing sorted for this Saturday/Sunday night ( now that they appear to have run out of Lucy Worsley series to show :biggrin: )

Guess I'll have to go back to watching DVDs when they introduce their stupid - and extremely unpopular - plan to force people to register if they want to watch iPlayer stuff. :sad:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby jasonT1981 on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 3:50 pm

Just about to start Game of Thrones season 5 (late starter) but also Arrow, Flash & Legends of Tomorrow when they are on as well as Big Bang theory.

Air Crash Investigation, My haunted house & My ghost stories also have a daily SkyHD reminder set when they are about to air.

Need something new to watch soon though.
jasonT1981

Postby jingernut on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 7:52 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Series 5 of 'Ripper Street' started on BBC2 this week.
Guess I'll have to go back to watching DVDs when they introduce their stupid - and extremely unpopular - plan to force people to register if they want to watch iPlayer stuff. :sad:

What problem do people have with having to register to access the iPlayer stuff? :dizzy:
jingernut

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:42 am

A lot of the reservations were covered on Radio 4's 'Feedback' the week before last.
With many it's simply the fact that you have to register at all, when it's managed perfectly well without requiring them to do so since it's inception.
Others view it as a form of tracking & they see it as being "spied on by the BBC".
Others don't like the fact that it'll be used to determine viewing recommendations.
It's the usual problem.....they're introducing it without explaining it to the users.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby DerekF on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 10:34 am

I'm not sure I see an issue with having to sign in either. You sign to Netflix, Amazon, Sky etc. Why is it a problem with the BBC?

Anyway, recent viewing.

Designated Survivor was pretty decent.

Outcast on Fox wasn't as good as the first series but still OK.

We also enjoyed The Catch

Good news though, The Leftovers is coming back sadly for a final season.
DerekF

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 10:42 am

Glow has started well on Netflix, which is about women's wrestling. It's a lot better than it sounds!

The Keepers documentary on Netflix is extremely well-made, but given it deals with sexual abuse in the Catholic church, it's not exactly light viewing before bedtime.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby DerekF on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 6:56 am

"Broken" on BBC with Sean Bean was excellent, as is "The Handmaid's Tale".

Game of Thrones back Monday but only seven parts in the season. :dunno:
DerekF

Postby starbuck on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 8:32 am

DerekF wrote:"Broken" on BBC with Sean Bean was excellent, as is "The Handmaid's Tale".

Game of Thrones back Monday but only seven parts in the season. :dunno:

yes they are doing a mini season seven now and then another mini season (7a or 8) next year apparently to finish it off.

I think this is quite common with American shows, I seem to remember they did the same with the Sopranos.

It was on a few months ago but we have just finished watching the last season of Billions off the planner which I think is really good and a 3rd season on the way. It's one of those shows that you enjoy watching but you can't really get behind and like any of the main characters because they are all flawed in some way. Ray Donovan is another one like that full of anti -heroes but still worth watching and entertaining.

Something else which can be attributed to the Soprano's legacy.
starbuck

Postby AlexC on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 9:21 am

Been watching 'The Handmaid's Tale' on C4 with Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men, The West Wing, etc.) quite good.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby keyjey on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 2:38 pm

The last thing I watched was "The Handmaid's Tale" (nice to know there are quite a few fans of it here too :biggrin:) , and QI has always been one of my favourites
keyjey

Postby AlexC on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 3:09 pm

Oh yeah, I like QI too.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 3:28 pm

Series 3 of 'The Last Ship'.
First series, the baddies were the Russkis; Second series it was the Brits; This series, it was the Chinese....and the Koreans...and the Japanese...and the Americans.
Yet again, one single Arleigh Burke-class destroyer manages to defeat everybody, despite only having a crew of about half a dozen effectives ( and like Star Trek, every away mission is conducted by those same half dozen people which include the most senior Officers & Ratings :whistle: )
You'd have thought by now that the bad guys wouldn't even bother trying, given that the sailors on this one single ship - they still don't seem to have any Marines on board - are more highly trained in ground surveillance & combat than the SAS, SBS & Navy Seals combined :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Tommy on Mon 24 Jul 2017, 7:44 pm

#Thrones :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby TKK 140 on Mon 24 Jul 2017, 9:25 pm

Normal for Norfolk.
TKK 140

Postby iainpeden on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:23 am

I thought Ripper Street went out with a bit of a whimper last night with what was very obviously a final episode. Shame because it had been a vibrant, provocative piece of tv drama.
iainpeden

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:51 am

Seems to be a common problem these days, 'HOW' didn't exactly go out with a bang either.....but at least with 'RS' you found out what happened to most of the protagonists.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby st24 on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:12 am

iainpeden wrote:I thought Ripper Street went out with a bit of a whimper last night with what was very obviously a final episode. Shame because it had been a vibrant, provocative piece of tv drama.

Agreed, really enjoyed the whole run but felt a bit let down last night..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:25 am

Tommy wrote:#Thrones :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Two blinding episodes in this season already.

Just started on Orange Is The New Black, finally. Very good indeed.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 12:23 pm

Nice to have season 2 of Preacher on Amazon, love that show, and Shooter season 2 has started on Netflix. First series was very good, although pretty much the same story of the film with a few twists and elongated characterisation. Second series has started off well, will see how it progresses.

The wife is working on some very interesting tv series coming our way so will see how they come along. Electric Dreams is one that she has worked on extensively and so am looking forward to watching that.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/philip-k ... et-excited
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 6:10 pm

Seconded
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby timuss on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:52 pm

Wissam24 wrote:

Seconded

Thirded?? :grin:

Yeah great start building along nicely.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby DerekF on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 10:28 pm

Just finished watchng two of the best series on TV this year so far; The Handmaid's Tale and Season 3 of Fargo. Great telly.
DerekF

Postby Airwolfhound on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 12:02 pm

Slightly off topic as it is not strictly on TV at the moment, but my wife and I are slowly going through the complete box-set of Northern Exposure in between other viewing pleasures. I used to watch it when it was on Channel 4 many many years ago (over 20 years old now the series) and it is great to be watching it again. Its just gentle humour set in the most beautiful scenery (supposedly Alaska but actually Washington). Absolutely brilliant :clap: :clap:

Airwolfhound

Postby AlexC on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 6:59 pm

You know I'm sure that I watched and liked Northern Exposure when it was on, but I'm struggling to remember anything about it. Rather worrying that. :sad: Still, I imagine that the box set must be quite reasonably priced now. Will have to take a look at Amazon.
Last edited by AlexC on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexC

Postby Airwolfhound on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 9:14 pm

A New York Jewish Doctor has to serve a few years in a small Alaskan town to help pay the debt he owes for his tuition. It won lots of awards when it was out, no mean-spirited stories, just gentle fun with some very good humour. The scenery steals it for me, although always did fancy Janine Turner :love:

Airwolfhound

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic