What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AlexC on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 7:40 pm

I feel quite deprived hearing all this talk about Game of Thrones having never seen it. However, I have invested in the box set of Fear the Walking Dead, having been a big fan of the Walking Dead. So far so good!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby RAF4EVER on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 8:24 pm

AlexC wrote:I feel quite deprived hearing all this talk about Game of Thrones having never seen it. However, I have invested in the box set of Fear the Walking Dead, having been a big fan of the Walking Dead. So far so good!

Game of Thrones,not seen,not missed
RAF4EVER

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 8:45 pm

AlexC wrote:I have invested in the box set of Fear the Walking Dead, having been a big fan of the Walking Dead.

Tried 'Z Nation' yet ?
Despite being played more for comedy, in my opinion it's far better than 'FTWD' :biggrin:

On a different note...
Most of the way through Series 4 of 'Black Sails' ( just started episode 8 of 10 )
Continues it's usual theme of trying to kill people off in as many different ways as possible besides the usual shooting & stabbing/throat-cutting.....a particularly gratuitous keel-hauling and inventive use of a claw-hammer & cooper's mallet being amongst the most memorable.
Somewhat disappointingly they've pretty much given up on any semblance of historic accuracy when it comes to the real characters, so various ones are killed off when they shouldn't be, not killed off when they should be, or merely killed off in different ways to how they really were.
That said, it's still as entertaining as ever, just a shame that it's apparently going to be the last series.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 9:25 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Tried 'Z Nation' yet ?

No, haven't heard of that one. Will have to check it out.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:37 am

RAF4EVER wrote:Game of Thrones,not seen,not missed

Many thanks for your contribution to this topic, that's really useful to know.

Of course, you do appear to have misread the title of this topic : 'What are UKARians watching on TV?'

Well done....have a banana.
HTH.
:biggrin:

Edited to add...

Finished watching the last 2 episodes of 'Black Sails' -- as with the likes of 'HOW' & 'Ripper Street', it went out on a bit of a whimper.
It also seemed to have forgotten that it was supposed to be a prequel to 'Treasure Island', so lots of loose ends not tied up.

Oh, well.....series 2 of 'Preacher' likely to be next on my list, unless I decide to give 'The Tick' a go.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:50 am

I've been enjoying Preacher series two although a couple of the later episodes do seem to be dragging the story a bit. However, still very amusing and some decent graphic violence still to be seen :grin:

Very much looking forward to the Punisher on Netflix soon, and X-Files coming back (although not sure when or what channel).

Shooter series 2 has been very enjoyable to date.

Started watching 'Ultimate Beastmaster' on Netflix. A bit like Ninja Warrior with a massive obstacle course, quite fun but the American presenters are a bit annoying. Produced by Sylvester Stallone and occasionally he does an introduction at the start of the programme.

Anyone been able to see the new series of Top Gear USA ? Any good ?

Have to admit I no longer bother with much in the way of terrestrial tv, mostly watch Netflix and Amazon now. Just started the new series of The Last Ship on Sky One, I kinda forgot what happened in the last series which probably shows what a lasting impression it made on me :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby AlexC on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 11:21 am

Almost finished both seasons of FTWD now. Have to agree that it's not as good as TWD. Don't think that I'll bother with any subsequent seasons.
AlexC

Postby timuss on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 3:29 pm

Anybody watched Blood Drive yet on Syfy? I watched the first episode its certainly different :lol:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:34 pm

Just watched the first series on 'The Tick' on Amazon.
Entertaining, but didn't live up to the hype Amazon have given it.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 2:06 pm

Somewhat off topic.....
Had a look at what's included free with the Amazon Prime package -- most of it is either stuff I've already seen, am not interested in, or are totally naff series which look like they've been done by 14 year old art students.

One I'm waiting for ( if it ever gets finished ) is the series based on Richard Morgan's book 'Altered Carbon'.......hopefully it'll do the book justice ( there's some hope, as it's apparently being directed by Miguel Sapochnik who directed several episodes of 'GofT' including 'Battle of the Bastards' ) and that they go on to do the other 2 books in the series.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 4:53 pm

Well, the effects in Altered Carbon should be good, my good lady has been working on that :-) She's been pretty busy lately with a host of new series coming our way :-)

Shameless Promotion commences :-
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2175821/
Shameless Promotion ends :grin:

Gives you a feel of what she has done, plenty to add though.

I see some interesting series are coming onto Amazon Prime, looks like Jack Ryan (he of Tom Clancy ink) is being turned into a series, and I note Taken has started, so will give that a go too :-)

Airwolfhound

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 6:12 pm

Good-oh !! :up: Definitely looking forward to it.

I see she's done a number of the Dr Who episodes......having been present at all but one of the ones - mostly the 'specials' - they filmed at the steelworks in Newport ( unfortunately I was on holiday when they filmed the first one with Michelle Ryan :sad: ) I've seen the amount of time & effort which goes into building a set which may only appear on screen for one or two seconds.
And can I make a claim to fame of appearing in 6 of the 'specials' ( well OK, by 'appearing' I mean lurking in the various crowd scenes, along with several work colleagues :lol: )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 6:30 pm

Yeah she's the head honcho for Dr Who matchmove. She's seen the Christmas special and has some bits to do on the regeneration and says that it is better not having to stare at Peter Capaldi's gurning face any more lol. After the Christmas special the vfx is moving to D-Neg tv so will see how long they last with it.

Airwolfhound

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 12:28 am

Continuing the 'waiting for' theme.....
Posts on ARRSE have just reminded me that Sky ( in conjunction with others ) are making a mini-series which is the follow-up to 'Das Boot'
Based on L-GB's second book 'Die Festung', it should cover the period up to the D-Day landings.
It'll take a heck of a lot of doing to be anywhere near as good as the original series.
Somewhat confusingly, the U-boat in this series is apparently U-612 ..... which never saw front-line service -- it was sunk in a collision with another U-boat in 1942 ( a couple of months after it was commissioned ) refloated & put back into service in 1943 as part of a training flotilla.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:58 pm

Started watching the series 'Taken' on Amazon.
Granted I'm only 2 episodes in, but so far it's doing nothing for me.
The only thing it has in common with the film is the title, everything else is your usual formulaic American cop/FBI series.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby tankbuster81 on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 8:12 am

Currently enjoying "Strike" on the beeb on a Sunday evening.Reminds me of the private detective type of series i used to enjoy in the 80's/90's.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby AndyXH558 on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 7:08 pm

if anyone has AMC on Bt, from the 31st of October they are broadcasting the TV version of Snatch.
AndyXH558

Postby timuss on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 8:08 pm

Just watched the first two episodes of Tin Star on Sky Atlantic very good so far.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
timuss

Postby AlexC on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:17 pm

Christina Hendricks! :tongue:
AlexC

Postby Mooshie1956 on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 10:29 pm

Just seen Outlander is back on Amazon along with the rest of season 2 of Lucifer. I've just watched the last episode of Preacher, not sure whats going to happen in S3 if they make it.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby timuss on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 8:02 pm

AlexC wrote:Christina Hendricks! :tongue:

Oh yeah :cool: :drool: :rock:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
timuss

Postby AlexC on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 10:23 am

timuss wrote:Oh yeah :cool: :drool: :rock:

She's the only reason that I watched Man Men. No not really, I would have watched it anyway, it was a great show!

Love the church at Sompting BTW, one of the best in the country.
AlexC

Postby tankbuster on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 11:00 am

Great little film with excellent cast on IPlayer at the moment called Broken. Several disaffected families living in a very 'normal' suburban street. A bit different.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 8:58 pm

Watched the rest of series 1 of 'Taken' -- still think it's naff so won't be bothering with series 2.
A shame, really, as Clive Standen's a decent actor & I've enjoyed a lot of the other stuff he's done ( especially Rollo in 'Vikings' )

Tried watching 'Copper' ( about an American-Irish policeman, set in 1860s New York ) but gave up after the first episode as it's a steaming heap.....cliché-riddled, rubbish plots, it has it all.

I'm now most of the way through series 1 of 'Turn' -- Supposedly based on the book 'Washington's spies', about the only thing it has in common with the book are the names of the characters.
It bears little resemblance to historical reality, the accents are all over the shop ( still trying to work out what Jamie Bell's is supposed to be :lol: ) and it's got the usual 'Brits are evil sadists or idiots' theme ( just like 'Outlander' )...Oh, and someone should tell the idiots who wrote it that the British Army was never referred to as the 'Royal Army' !! :wall:
That said, I'll probably still watch the rest of it and series 2.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby boff180 on Fri 22 Sep 2017, 3:31 am

Just watched the second season of The Expanse on Netflix.

It was good but the show lost a lot of its mystery as they explained what the blue goo was.

Next week the first episode of Star Trek Discovery comes available.

There is an embargo on the media from publishing reviews prior to the release of the episode (they’ve seen it in advance). According to pundits that usually means the studio know the show they’ve produced is a pile of poop :sad:
boff180
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic