What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Tommy on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm

Fargo Season 3 has appeared on Netflix - no idea how long that's been there for.

Not bad stuff, but doesn't quite have the magic of the first two seasons which were, to me, really well put together works.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby timuss on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:42 pm

A bit late to the party but I've just started Stranger Things on netflix very good so far.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Paul_Reflex on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:45 pm

Tommy wrote:Fargo Season 3 has appeared on Netflix - no idea how long that's been there for.

Not bad stuff, but doesn't quite have the magic of the first two seasons which were, to me, really well put together works.

Season 3 seemed a bit like that to me at first, but by the end I loved it.
Paul_Reflex

Postby AlexC on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 12:15 pm

Currently watching the first season of 'The Crown' on box set, brilliant. Only very minor comment is that John Lithgow is a little bit too tall to play Sir Winston, but nevertheless he's very good in whatever he's been in from Third Rock From The Sun, to Dexter etc.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 5:01 pm

Another one on Amazon Prime...
'Shtrafbat' ( 'Penal Battalion' ), an 11 part series made in 2004 about a WW2 Russian Penal Battalion.
Russian language with English subtitles ( which aren't always perfect )

Unusually for a Russian-made series there's lots of criticism of Stalin, the Communists & the NKVD.

Not really much action despite it's setting, it concentrates more on the interaction of the individuals
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm

I'm watching a documentary about the QEII on Channel 5, the lady narrator described the launch of the vessel at John Brown Docks on the Clyde, in 1967, as colour footage was shown. She described the Red Arrows as flying overhead, the camera pick out the flypast, and 11 Buccaneers, RN as they would have been in the day, raced over the top in Big seven and Diamond four! :snack:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 12:31 pm

'Troy : Fall of a City'.
The BBC yet again proving that these days it excels in producing steaming heaps of excrement!
I thought the first episode was bad, but the second was even worse.

And yet another series where the idiots have decided to indulge in 'box-ticking' by making a number of major characters ( including Gods ) black. :facepalm:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 3:28 pm

'Troy' - I thought it couldn't get any worse after the first two episodes, but the BBC have proved me wrong. :roll:

As a remedy to that...
Series 7 of 'GOT'
With the number of people they've killed of in the battles over the last 2 series, there can't be many left now. :biggrin:
Best comedy duo ? Sandor & Tormund. Really hope they don't kill them off.
Most :sick: moment ? Sam Tarly's duties.

Oh, and a zombie dragon ! ( Wonder if it'll make a guest appearance in 'Z-Nation' :lol: )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 6:58 am

"oh, and a zombie dragon..."

This, this is why I will never watch Game of Thrones!
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:44 pm

Ah, but you could justify watching it because it's a modern reinterpretation of the dynastic strife of medieval-era Britain.....with lots of sex, violence, more sex, more violence, an army of eunuchs, a dwarf, zombie horses, zombie bears, zombie dogs, and the zombie dragon.
:lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:56 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Ah, but you could justify watching it because it's a modern reinterpretation of the dynastic strife of medieval-era Britain.....with lots of sex, violence, more sex, more violence, an army of eunuchs, a dwarf, zombie horses, zombie bears, zombie dogs, and the zombie dragon.

You forgot the talking tree :lol:
starbuck

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 2:30 pm

Yep.
And the dead people who come back to life but aren't zombies.
And the giants...and the zombie giants.
See, there's so much in there that you forget things :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 2:35 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Yep.
And the dead people who come back to life but aren't zombies.
And the giants...and the zombie giants.
See, there's so much in there that you forget things :lol:

This...

starbuck wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Ah, but you could justify watching it because it's a modern reinterpretation of the dynastic strife of medieval-era Britain.....with lots of sex, violence, more sex, more violence, an army of eunuchs, a dwarf, zombie horses, zombie bears, zombie dogs, and the zombie dragon.

You forgot the talking tree :lol:

This

Brevet Cable wrote:Ah, but you could justify watching it because it's a modern reinterpretation of the dynastic strife of medieval-era Britain.....with lots of sex [this I can cope with], violence, more sex [this I can cope with], more violence, an army of eunuchs, a dwarf, zombie horses, zombie bears, zombie dogs, and the zombie dragon.

and this...

...just make it sound like such complete and utter drivel. Each to their own though of course. :grin:
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 2:37 pm

Yeah, but you missed out the most important things....the gratuitous sex and violence. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 2:42 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Yeah, but you missed out the most important things....the gratuitous sex and violence. :biggrin:

Gratuitous sex did you say...I'll get the video out from Blockbuster tonight :win:
CJS

Postby T_J on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 6:30 pm

Heads up for new season of the Cold War spy drama The Americans.

10pm ITV4 (Sky Channel 120)
T_J

Postby ericbee123 on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:14 pm

I enjoyed Sneaky Pete and am still watching Lucifer.

But... the most confusing is why I am still watching The Assassination of Gianni Versace -- I should have waited until the season finishes and then watch them in reverse order !
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 04 Apr 2018, 8:35 pm

Not so much watching.....yet....
New series of 'Plebs' starts on ITV2 next Monday (9th)
Stylax has left the series, to be replaced by a new Pleb - Jason ( a builder )

Oh, and apparently the Americans are going to 'remake' their own version of it :dizzy:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 11:55 am

'Plebs' is brilliant, binge watched the three series on Netflix, classic stuff :clap: :clap:

I'm going to give 'Deep State' a go, showing on Fox. Mark Strong is a fabulous actor so should be good to watch.

Seal Team isn't too bad, Sky 1 on a Thursday night. Usual gun-ho American machismo, but the action is pretty good with some decent aviation participation :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby ericbee123 on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 9:08 pm

If you like Danish hostage dramas then I am currently enjoying:

Below The Surface ( catch up on BBC iPlayer )

And enjoyed :

A Hijacking ( on BBC2 and was on iPlayer )

Two different approaches to hostage negotiations !!
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby jonnyweb142 on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 9:20 pm

'It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia' on Netflix , 12 Seasons so far , Funnest U.S show i've seen , Cast are all excellent ...but Dee's facial expressions are to die for , Danny Devito is a legend too
jonnyweb142

Postby Marathon Milkshake on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:26 pm

Some good ideas of what to watch in this thread, now The Big Bang Theory has hit rock bottom. Young Sheldon has gone the same way! Brooklyn nine nine is a good insomnia cure and Ash vs evil dead is just a rerun of series one and two. I'm fairly desperate for something to watch! GOT has been cancelled thankfully! never did manage to watch all the first episode of series one. Fingers crossed The Grand Tour will go the same way, series two! utter drivell :sad: The Walking Dead lost my interest at series 6, Z Nation is much better but getting boring! desperate times, perhaps I should revert to (the horror of it) Emmerdale!!

bitch over lol
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter
Marathon Milkshake

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:46 pm

TBBT has been garbage since they all got massive pay rises a few years back. They've been 'phoning it in' ever since. I haven't seen 'Young Sheldon' but that seems to smack of 'flogging a dead horse'.

American tv companies, driven no doubt by the smell of the filthy lucre, seem blind to the adage that 'more is less'. Just look at 'Fawlty Towers' or 'The Office' - couple of series of 6 episodes and maybe an Xmas special and then drop it. You have to remember that in the US the programmes only exist to get you to watch the adverts. Remember when Tivo boxes first came out and a Tv network exec publicly said "If you record and then watch our programmes and fast forward past the adverts its no different to walking into a shop and stealing a dvd off the shelf."

I remember an interview with Ricky Gervais when during the process to negotiate the rights to The Office for the US version he asked them how many episodes they were planning. The reply of "Over 200!" caused him to sigh and say "Oh dear!". Hopefully he did his rights contract on a per episode basis and just trousered the money.

I watched this https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01hdhpy/metalworks-2-the-knights-tale recently. Quite interesting. Apparently the more elaborate suits of highly decorated armour cost £500 in Tudor/ Elizabethan times which they estimate is about £1m in today's money. One nobleman, in an attempt to impress Queen Elizabeth had 3 sets of armour made - this together with other attempts to impress the Queen resulted in him dying £43k in debt , equivalent to £86m today!
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:59 pm

Marathon Milkshake wrote:GOT has been cancelled thankfully! never did manage to watch all the first episode of series one.

GOT as in 'Game of Thrones' or GOT as in something else?
If the former, unless I've missed something recently it's not been cancelled as it was decided a few years ago that series 8 - which airs next year - would be the last one ( although there are several spin-offs in the pipeline )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:12 pm

ericbee123 wrote:If you like Danish hostage dramas then I am currently enjoying:
Below The Surface ( catch up on BBC iPlayer )

And enjoyed :
A Hijacking ( on BBC2 and was on iPlayer )

Two different approaches to hostage negotiations !!

:up:
Doing it the other way around - watching 'Below the Surface' first and then watch 'A Hijacking'.
'BTS' is another one of those series when you're constantly wondering what the real reason behind the hijacking is.

And Norwegian not Danish, but still looking forward to the release of series 2 of 'Occupied'
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic