What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby starbuck on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:22 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:
American tv companies, driven no doubt by the smell of the filthy lucre, seem blind to the adage that 'more is less'. Just look at 'Fawlty Towers' or 'The Office' - couple of series of 6 episodes and maybe an Xmas special and then drop it. You have to remember that in the US the programmes only exist to get you to watch the adverts.

Bit of a sweeping statement that isn't it? Sure there is some dross out there but I don't think the quality of American shows has ever been higher than it is right now. And it isn't just now either;

MASH ran 11 years and 256 episodes
Frasier 264 / 11
West Wing 156 / 7

And probably the greatest example - Simpsons, 632 episodes over 29 years and counting.

I know they have massive teams of writers and they work them damn hard in the states but give me just one season of any of those and you can keep your Watty Flowers!
starbuck

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:42 pm

Not particularly great examples - M*A*S*H was the same thing every week - went on longer than the war it was set in lasted! (Much like 'Allo, Allo')

Fraser - again same things every episode - him moaning about the people at his wine club and the weather in the NW USA.

And finally The Simpsons which was fine until all the writers left after series 10 and from then on it was just a vehicle to sell plastic Simpsons tat to kids.

https://digg.com/2017/charting-the-simpsons-decline
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 6:54 pm

Pah!
None of those had the ability to clear pubs before closing-time, as everybody exited en-mass in order to get home in time to watch them.
There's only one American-made show I've ever come across which had that ability.......'Tour Of Duty' :worship:

As for the American networks, they're renown for failing to kill off series which were either rubbish from the start or dragged on too long, whilst cancelling popular series for no good reason ( unless "one of the executives doesn't like/understand it" or "It's too popular/more popular than other series we're trying to push" count as good reasons )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:26 am

speedbird2639 wrote:Fraser - again same things every episode - him moaning about the people at his wine club and the weather in the NW USA.

Really can't agree with that, it was consistently good throughout the entire run, much better then Cheers IMHO.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Tommy on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 11:50 am

Glow on Netflix is damn wonderful. Makes me nostalgic for the 80s and I wasn't even alive then, and the characters are sublime.

And Annihilation on the same platform. It's proper backwards crazy stuff, horrific, and one of the most beautiful things I've seen on my TV, and I really enjoyed it. Somehow. Probably helped that I was several beers in by the end.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 12:41 pm

Series 3 of 'Fear the Walking Dead'
It's getting even sillier than 'Z-Nation'.
As usual, they're killing off more alive people than dead ones.
Top marks for amusing use of a spoon, though. :biggrin:
Those of a squeamish nature would do well to avoid the crow scene towards the end of episode 5.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby DerekF on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 5:45 pm

Best thing on TV at the moment. "Cunk on Britain"
DerekF

Postby starbuck on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 5:52 pm

DerekF wrote:Best thing on TV at the moment. "Cunk on Britain"

Agreed. Very Funny, although not as funny as Mike Bushell falling into a swimming pool this morning on the BBC
starbuck

Postby AlexC on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 11:43 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Series 3 of 'Fear the Walking Dead'

I gave up on that after watching the first season through to the end.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby CJS on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 6:39 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Series 3 of 'Fear the Walking Dead'
It's getting even sillier than 'Z-Nation'.
As usual, they're killing off more alive people than dead ones.
Top marks for amusing use of a spoon, though. :biggrin:
Those of a squeamish nature would do well to avoid the crow scene towards the end of episode 5.

Can you kill a dead person? :dizzy:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 7:11 pm

'Course you can !
You'll be telling us next that you can't have zombie dragons, zombie giants, zombie babies & zombie animals, or that you can't kill zombies using a giant cheese or the Liberty Bell. :tongue: :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 7:20 am

Yes Brevet, yes I will. :grin:

Wait...a giant cheese? Now that is a programme I'd watch. Which channel?

Is it this one? memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=56
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 11:35 am

You wouldn't like it...it's got zombies in, including zombie animals, zombie babies, super-zombies, stoner-zombies, but no zombie dragon yet :lol:

Here's the scene in all it's glory...see what you're missing :biggrin: :

Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby timuss on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 9:35 am

Just started watching Lost in Space on netflix, quite good so far not familiar with the original series but this is pretty good so far.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby vandal on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 8:12 pm

Just finished watching the latest run, series 8 (6 episodes) of the exploits of Scotland's favourite Senior Citizens, Jack and Victor - Still Game.

A bit crude, but very funny none the less.

Series 1-6 are on Netflix.
vandal

Postby pb643 on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 8:01 am

vandal wrote:Just finished watching the latest run, series 8 (6 episodes) of the exploits of Scotland's favourite Senior Citizens, Jack and Victor - Still Game.

A bit crude, but very funny none the less.

Series 1-6 are on Netflix.

I would agree, one of the few truly funny programmes still around. This series, was in my opinion the best so far.
pb643

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 9:13 pm

Just finished series 3 of 'FTWD'....they continued their theme of killing more alive people than zombies.
Storylines definitely got sillier & more implausible than 'Z-Nation'.
'Z-N' had people getting high smoking 'Z-weed', but 'FTWD' beat that with people getting high by eating zombie brains ! :dizzy:

Roll on series 4, where they have the crossover episodes with 'TWD'.

Next on the watch-list, series 4 of 'Z-Nation'. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby timuss on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 7:36 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Just finished series 3 of 'FTWD'....they continued their theme of killing more alive people than zombies.
Storylines definitely got sillier & more implausible than 'Z-Nation'.
'Z-N' had people getting high smoking 'Z-weed', but 'FTWD' beat that with people getting high by eating zombie brains ! :dizzy:

Roll on series 4, where they have the crossover episodes with 'TWD'.

Next on the watch-list, series 4 of 'Z-Nation'. :biggrin:

I gave up with FTWD at the beginning of series 3 as i just couldn't get into it. But with crossover happening maybe i had ought to give it another try.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 7:55 pm

S3 was hit and miss...some episodes were good, others were rubbish.
The series finale was just plain weird.
They also seemed to be rehashing ideas from other series - zombie hoard, biker gang taking over everywhere, psychotic baddie gang-leader.

As for the crossover, the original rumour going around was that it would be only one episode, but it looks like it'll be most of series 4 & one of the TWD will be switching to FTWD after that.

Oh, and with their track record for getting pretty much everyone with them killed, I wouldn't let the FTWD group anywhere near me ! :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 8:58 pm

Well done Amazon !! :wall:
Granted I already know who from TWD will be joining FTWD, but there are many out there who don't because they tend to avoid sites like IMDB which give away the plots.

So what does Amazon do?
Not only do they feature that character on the publicity image for series 4 of FTWD, they also stick their name in the advertising blurb at the top of the page !! :facepalm:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 12:14 pm

Westworld Season 2, and my head already hurts :dizzy: :dizzy:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby st24 on Fri 25 May 2018, 6:20 pm

Top secret on Film 4!!! Watch and weep... :lmao:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby toom317 on Sat 26 May 2018, 6:13 pm

The biggest weekend on BBC last night . Orbital at the Titanic Slipways. WTF was that. I'm not commenting on the music, you like it or you don't. Was that really live music, two old guys twiddling with their knobs on stage, and stage hands running around unplugging stuff. The majority of the audience didn't look like they were paying much attention. I know that gig was free, but seriously would anyone pay money to watch that?
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Mooshie1956 on Sat 26 May 2018, 6:27 pm

Champions League. Not a bitter Manc so come on Liverpool bring it home for England.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 26 May 2018, 6:39 pm

After watching the original film on BBC iPlayer several weeks ago, I decided to watch the new television series of 'Romper Stomper' on there ( well the 3 episodes they've shown so far, anyway )
Still undecided.....it feels like it's trying to fit too many sub-plots in, all of which have no explanation as to why.
It also seems to spend a lot of time 'box-ticking' when it comes to characters & subject-matter.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic