Movies!

Movies!

Postby DerekF on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm

A few movies we've seen recently. Feel free to post up your recent movies; cinema, telly, DVD or whatever.

Anyway, a few recent flicks.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) (courtesy ITV4)
Tense, cold war type drama with Frank Sinatra as one of a platoon of soldiers who have been brainwashed by North Koreans. In some ways a move of its time but nonetheless compelling 50 years later.

Empire of the Sun (1987) (courtesy Sky Movies)
The story of a boy played by Christian Bale separated from his family and surviving in a Japanese internment camp. Superb performance (as usual) by Bale in his first role and with many memorable scenes. A great film.

Snatch (2000) (courtesy Sky Movies)
Excellent Guy Ritchie crime/villain/gangster movie with Brad Pitt as the unintelligible pikey. Some great lines and very funny moments.

Planes (2013) (courtesy of the Odeon Trafford Centre)
A crop-dusting aeroplane decides he wants to enter a round the world air-race. After all the hype it was a bit disappointing. None of the wit that made Cars so good was apparent here. It was pretty obvious that it wasn't a Pixar film. On the plus side, there is a lot for the aviation enthusiast and film buff to look out for and the aeroplanes are nicely done. (Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards (Iceman and Goose from TopGun) play two F-18s and the slow motion flyby at the end is straight from Empire of the Sun).

More soon.
DerekF

Re: Movies!

Postby boff180 on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 7:13 am

Red Tails

Ok so some of the aircraft flight physics are well and truly make believe but Mustangs performing backflips) but the storyline is good and I really enjoyed the movie. It starts off slow but gets much better with a good story line.

Andy
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby DerekF on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 8:50 am

A couple more

Paths of Glory (1957)
Kirk Douglas is French Army colonel in WW1 who tries to defend his men from a trumped-up charge of cowardice. A fine war movie, not often shown.

Savages (2012)
Californian pot-growers try to defend themselves from a vicious Mexican drug gang. Decent enough movie but very violent in places.

Dredd (2012)
Karl Urban plays Judge Dredd in a remake of the 1995 Sylvester Stallone movie but this new movie is much more like the 2000AD original. Dredd never removes his helmet and is totally impersonal and focussed. Very violent but very good.
DerekF

Postby Elbow on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 3:20 pm

boff180 wrote:Red Tails

Ok so some of the aircraft flight physics are well and truly make believe but Mustangs performing backflips) but the storyline is good and I really enjoyed the movie. It starts off slow but gets much better with a good story line.

Andy

I have heard some negative reports about this movie, that has kept me from watching it. But if you it's any good, I'll take a look some day!
Run, jump, fly
Elbow

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 4:02 pm

To be fair , the CGI in Red Tails is a lot better than the ridiculous stuff in The Red Baron ( I didn't know 'Harry Tates' were fitted with vectored-thrust !! :lmao: ) and there are some out there who have said that the 'Mustang back-flip' was actually true .

Now if you want to see how CGI aircraft should be done , there's a little-known film out there called 'Fortress' ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1558575/?ref_=sr_4 )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Elbow on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 1:11 pm

That looks awesome, thanks for the hint! Will check it out!
Run, jump, fly
Elbow

Postby DanH on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 6:17 pm

It seems to star Chris Owen aka 'The Shermanator'. Definitely worth a look in that case.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 1:43 pm

If any of you do watch it , make sure to read the comment right at the end of the closing credits !! :whistle: :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby DerekF on Fri 06 Sep 2013, 6:51 am

Some more recent viewings, all courtesy of Sky Movies

Jack Reacher (2012)
Tom Cruise is an investigator looking into a case that isn’t all it seems. Good action movie, fast-moving and with some good one-liners.

The Three Stooges (2012)
I had low expectations of this remake of the 1940s, 50s slapstick comedy series but the three playing Curley Larry and Moe had their mannerisms off to a tee. I found myself laughing more than I expected at this.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
The last in the Chris Nolan Trilogy with Christian Bale playing the Caped Crusader. Like the others, a fine film and some great performances. I found the Anne Hathaway character annoying after a while as she kept flipping allegiance but an enjoyable movie nonetheless.

I saw "Fortress" a year or so back - what I thought of it then...

Fortress (2012)
The story of a B-17 crew during operations over the Mediterranean. Not as good as Memphis Belle but not bad for all that. The CGI comes in for criticism but I thought it looked OK. A shame some of the acting couldn’t be computer enhanced.
DerekF

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:51 am

If the company who do War Thunder are the same ones who did IL-2 Sturmovik , then it's not surprising , as there was a lot of speculation at the time that the game-engine for IL-2 was used to do the CGI for the film.
Apparently , though , the company who actually did the CGI were the same ones who did it for Red Tails ( but on a much , much smaller budget )........if true , you have to wonder why Red Tails got the flight dynamics so wrong !! :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Russ on Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:05 pm

DerekF wrote:Dredd (2012)
Karl Urban plays Judge Dredd in a remake of the 1995 Sylvester Stallone movie but this new movie is much more like the 2000AD original. Dredd never removes his helmet and is totally impersonal and focussed. Very violent but very good.

It's a tremendous film. Absolutely loved it. Embarrassing for people to even compare it to the dreadful Stallone film.
Russ

Postby MikeH on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:31 pm

Just been to see "Rush"(the James Hunt & Niki Lauda film.) I can recommend it totally - very entertaining, well directed, a great story well told, uplifting and a great reminder of what Formula 1 used to be like , warts and all.
MikeH

Postby DamienB on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 6:07 pm

Red Tails is the most appalling abortion of a movie I've seen for a long time. I know people who were involved in the (real) aerial filming - they're embarrassed by the final result. Utterly, utterly "Kris Kris Tofferson!". Crap CGI, crap flight dynamics, crap script, crap acting... just crap. Disney's "Planes" has more realistic flying in it.
DamienB

Postby DanH on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 6:11 pm

I saw the latest Star Trek film on DVD the other night. Very good film and a suitably menacing performance from Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain.
DanH

Postby timuss on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 9:27 pm

Just rewatched World War Z as i got the Blu Ray this week.Thoroughly enjoyable film totally different to the book but still very good.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby yannyfoxx on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 1:33 am

If you're a baseball fan (there's not many of us) then 'Moneyball' is excellent. Just watched 'My Week With Marilyn' which is fascinating and a real insight into a tortured soul.
yannyfoxx

Postby pbeardmore on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:40 pm

Saw Rush tonight, fantastic, cant recommend it enough, anyone else seen it?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 15 Sep 2013, 2:12 pm

DamienB wrote:Red Tails is the most appalling abortion of a movie I've seen for a long time. I know people who were involved in the (real) aerial filming - they're embarrassed by the final result. Utterly, utterly "Kris Kris Tofferson!". Crap CGI, crap flight dynamics, crap script, crap acting... just crap. Disney's "Planes" has more realistic flying in it.
Whilst not brilliant ( and just as inaccurate ) , the 1995 film "Tuskegee Airmen" is a far superior film.
Have to say , though , the CGI in "Red Tails" is much better than that in "The Red Baron".....now that was really dire !! :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby DerekF on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 7:27 am

A few recent viewings - not worth starting a new thread for though.
All courtesy of Sky Movies.

Argo
Not bad but was it was really worth the Oscars? Suggests great historical accuracy and yet there are many flaws. Baffling.

Flight
Denzel Washington as the drunk pilot who saves the day. Not an aviation movie as such but a movie about addiction and its consequences. Denzel Washington is quite brilliant in it.

Truth or Dare
Low budget British horror about guests at a party who are taken hostage as revenge. Not too bad but quite predictable and very unsatisfactory ending.
DerekF

Postby Flare Path on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm

If you like Alan Partridge - Alpha Papa. His best work, in my opinion - non stop laughter.
Last edited by Flare Path on Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flare Path

Postby DerekF on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 7:35 pm

Latest viewings

Thor: The Dark World (2013)
The latest episode in the Marvel universe. In a word. Excellent.
Great effects, funny, lots of action , great monsters and baddies. Looking forward to the next one.

Gangster Squad (2013)
Josh Brolin is the detective up against Sean Penn's LA gangsters. Very violent but an old-fashioned gangster movie. Good fun.
DerekF

Postby Traveller on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 7:40 pm

Yes Argo, Flight and best of all World War Z all recommended
Traveller

Postby st24 on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 8:24 pm

Jeez, I'm sitting here watching 2012 .. why, for God's sake why am I??.... :wall: :dizzy:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby DanH on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:00 pm

I've got Skyfall on this evening but last night I watch Zero Dark Thirty about the search for Osama Bin Laden. I thought it was a very good film but I wasn't sure quite why Jessica Chastain was Oscar nominated for it, as I found her performance to be the only thing that let the film down.
DanH

Postby AlexC on Sun 10 Nov 2013, 3:05 pm

st24 wrote:Jeez, I'm sitting here watching 2012 .. why, for God's sake why am I??.... :wall: :dizzy:

I watched that yesterday......same reaction as you!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Next

Return to Off Topic