Movies!

Re: Movies!

Postby Vodka on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 10:23 am

Oh and Kingsman II. .if only just for Elton John!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Vodka

Postby toom317 on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Went to see Blade Runner 2049 today. Good enough sequel to the original, but by god, what a chore it was sitting through that, nearly fell asleep twice. 2 1/2 hours long and 1/2 an hour to long. It gets better in the 2nd half once Decker is in it.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 7:20 pm

On DVD....
'Fires On The Plain' -- a remake of the 1959 film, based on the book of the same name.
Being a Japanese film, naturally it's in Japanese with subtitles.
I read the book many years ago & have seen the original film, so wanted to see how the remake compared.
For those who've never heard of it, the book's based on the author's experiences whilst serving with the IJA on Mindoro during WW2.
Unusually, for most of the film there are only 3 or 4 people involved and often only one.
Not big on action for a war film, but what there is is gruesome & brutal, particularly the massacre scene towards the end ( you can't call it a battle as it's entirely one-sided - just like charge towards the end of 'Letters from Iwo Jima' )
Despite, that, quite a lot of the film features large numbers of corpses scattered around in various states of dismemberment & decay, and the living don't tend to be in much better condition.

Not exactly a big-budget production & it tends to get extremely surreal at times.

Not watched yet, but trying to find a copy of another Japanese WW2 film 'Yamato' ( original title: 'Otoko-tachi no Yamato' ) based on the book 'Yamato: The Last Battle' ( it's on my Lovefilm rental list, hopefully I'll get it before Amazon bin the service at the end of this month )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby DanH on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 11:39 am

I went to see Thor Ragnarok last night. Brilliant film, as funny as the Gaurdians of the Galaxy films and some amazing action sequences as well. And to top it all off, it has Jeff Goldblum. Be sure to stay until the very end of the credits if you go to see it. :up:
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 11:55 am

Watched the previously mentioned 'Battleship Yamato' film yesterday.
It's one of those films which is more about the characters as opposed to being an out-and-out war film, so for much of it there's little or no action.
That said, the final 20 minutes or so more than makes up for it.

The down-side is that it was made in 2005, so the CGI isn't as good as it is these days - still better than 'Red Tails' & 'The Red Baron' though - plus during the transfer to DVD some of it has gone a bit squirrelly ( unless USN aircraft fired lasers :lol: )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Red Dragon on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 12:24 pm

Here’s another vote for Thor: Ragnarok, fantastic action sequences and lots of humour between Thor and Hulk. The first teaser trailer is better than the second trailer :wink:
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
Red Dragon

Postby Tommy on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 10:50 am

Thor: Ragnarok :up: :up:

Also been to see Bladrunner 2049 recently - it isn't diluted from its quirky masterful original airing. It takes its time where it needs to, and the score was just amazing. But, yeah, it's quite long. My back teeth were floating by the end of it.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby morningrise on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm

Tommy wrote:Thor: Ragnarok :up: :up:

Also been to see Bladrunner 2049 recently - it isn't diluted from its quirky masterful original airing. It takes its time where it needs to, and the score was just amazing. But, yeah, it's quite long. My back teeth were floating by the end of it.

Thor is my fav of 2017 so far! Just really put the fun back into superhero movies. DC films are SO SERIOUS, but I always loved the direction that Marvel take. Thor was easily the funniest Marvel film yet... half slapstick comedy/half action!
morningrise

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 1:19 pm

My wife and I used to regularly go to the cinema, but we have pretty much stopped going now. Fed up with listening to people who aren't able to eat with their mouths closed, or seem to be immune to the noises they are making with wrappers, or their general hygiene :grin:

So we buy a dvd/blu-ray pretty much every week and watch it on a Saturday night. The latest was Bushwick and have to say that it was a fabulous piece of film making. Had me gripped from beginning to end, some decent acting, and very good writing and filming.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby jalfrezi on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 4:48 pm

Airwolfhound wrote:My wife and I used to regularly go to the cinema, but we have pretty much stopped going now. Fed up with listening to people who aren't able to eat with their mouths closed, or seem to be immune to the noises they are making with wrappers, or their general hygiene :grin:

I'm with you on that, I know popcorn is a movie tradition but the noise from people eating that is bad enough, but now you get nachos as well! :snack:
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby Mooshie1956 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 5:32 pm

jalfrezi wrote:
I'm with you on that, I know popcorn is a movie tradition but the noise from people eating that is bad enough, but now you get nachos as well! :snack:

This shows how times have changed, I don't remember popcorn being a tradition. When I was a youngster, it was the B movie then a good old Lyons Maid Ice Cream. Orange Maid anyone. then you would get the main movie. Unless it was a long film then you got an intermission in the middle of the film.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-300 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 6:02 pm

Anyone seen Paddinton 2?

Very clever: producing a kids movie that also has something for the adults, a real achievement IMHO and great casting having Hugh Grant os the baddie

(dont leave too early, nice bonus at the end)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby boff180 on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 8:25 pm

The latest Deadpool 2 trailer is out and it's frickin' hilarious!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 12:47 pm

Love Deadpool, pant-wettingly funny :clap: :clap:

Airwolfhound

Postby AlexC on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 4:53 pm

Airwolfhound wrote:My wife and I used to regularly go to the cinema, but we have pretty much stopped going now. Fed up with listening to people who aren't able to eat with their mouths closed, or seem to be immune to the noises they are making with wrappers, or their general hygiene :grin:

Same here. Also, at least in Bournemouth, many seem incapable of going the length of a film without messing about on their phones. I do find the lit up screens around me irritating.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby AndyXH558 on Sun 19 Nov 2017, 8:29 pm

went to see Justice League last night. To be honest it just didnt work for me, and absolute hotch potch that just didn't do anything for me. The trailers has all the stuff that was cut out of the movie. I did like Aquaman, but to me he just played the same guy he was in stargate atlantis, The flash was a good comedy relief though.
AndyXH558

Postby Talldan76 on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 9:11 pm

Just got back from watching ""Daddy's Home 2".

A genuinely good, laugh a minute film, very much in the vein of National Lampoons Christmas... It was one of those films where even though you could see the scene and the joke unfolding, it was still very funny!!

Dan
Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Postby Airwolfhound on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 3:17 pm

Being a bit rubbish weather outside, decided to watch a film on Netflix this morning.

'Wolf Warrior' is an action film from China. The thing is, it is more of a recruiting tool for China's Special Forces as it seems the film makers had full use of the army and aviation assets. Some great footage of the Z-10 and various other helicopters and hardware. Film was ok, was able to follow the sub-titles, but was mostly the usual gun battles and action. Highly recommended if you like your brain in neutral when watching films which is what I like :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec7LY8dLYSc

Airwolfhound

Postby Tommy on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 12:31 pm

Huge caveat that I (as probably many others) haven't yet seen Star Wars, what were people's favourite movies this year?

Gonna go straight in and say that Dunkirk, to me, was a cinematic masterpiece. The tension, the anticipation, the spellbinding aerial shots, the pace, the conflict, the music (an amazing modernisation of Elgar's Nimrod)... all just phenomenal. Added to that, it hits tone of the Nation's mood and patriotism bang on the nose. True patriotism, none of this artificial false BS that a lot of idiots spew out these days. The "Home" scene is one of the most emotional scenes I've ever experienced in cinema.

Honourable mentions:

Blade Runner 2049 was a decent sequel to the original, but its something you have to make the effort to commit to watch.

Despite my (now extreme) weariness for superhero movies, Thor: Ragnarok was a really decent film, IMO. Decent humour, action, and it didn't take itself too seriously. Exactly what a comicbook movie should be.

That could all change with Star Wars, but y'know..
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby pb643 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 10:35 am

Tommy wrote:Huge caveat that I (as probably many others) haven't yet seen Star Wars, what were people's favourite movies this year?

Gonna go straight in and say that Dunkirk, to me, was a cinematic masterpiece. The tension, the anticipation, the spellbinding aerial shots, the pace, the conflict, the music (an amazing modernisation of Elgar's Nimrod)... all just phenomenal. Added to that, it hits tone of the Nation's mood and patriotism bang on the nose. True patriotism, none of this artificial false BS that a lot of idiots spew out these days. The "Home" scene is one of the most emotional scenes I've ever experienced in cinema.

I have been looking forward to seeing this film since hearing about the aerial scenes being shot a year or two ago. Unfortunately I never made it to the cinema, so was very happy to receive the DVD Asda Christmas present.

Having watched it last night, I can honestly say that it was one of the biggest disappointments of a film that I recall.

The shifting timeline confused me, with little apparent purpose.
Virtually all the naval vessels seemed to just sit around motionless either at sea or alongside , waiting to be attacked, whilst Kenneth Branagh stood on the end of the pier seeing to do little.
There was no sense of the scale of the thing, one fleeting glimpse of a destroyer and a few confusing shots of several others, or it may have been the same one several times, I am not sure? I looked it up, the Royal Navy deployed 39 destroyers and over 300 other vessels. The Dunkirk little ships numbered over 800. The beach with hundreds of thousands of troops on, looked more like a few hundred to me.

By the end of the battle, the beaches were clean and swept, rather than full of the detritus of battle.

Spitfires withe seemingly endless ammunition and fuel?

Am I the only one to completely misunderstand this film?

Star wars tonight, so hopefully that will live up to expectations.
pb643

Postby pbeardmore on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 3:59 pm

Seperate thread re Star Wars, would be very interested to read your opinions
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:15 pm

Anyone else admit to watching the two absolute classics which were on Movies4men today.....'Stonados' ( about a tornado throwing out dirty great rocks ) & 'Metal Tornado' ( you've guessed....a tornado filled with dirty great lumps of metal ) ?

Nope......just me, then !! :whistle: :oops: :lol:

More classics on a similar theme on there tomorrow :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby DanH on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 7:24 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Anyone else admit to watching the two absolute classics which were on Movies4men today.....'Stonados' ( about a tornado throwing out dirty great rocks ) & 'Metal Tornado' ( you've guessed....a tornado filled with dirty great lumps of metal ) ?

Nope......just me, then !! :whistle: :oops: :lol:

More classics on a similar theme on there tomorrow :biggrin:

I saw the beginning of Stonados about a week ago, as it was on following a film about the Avro Vulcan. I decided to give it a miss after about 5 minutes. :lol:
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Airwolfhound on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 8:47 am

We watched Logan Lucky last night on Blu-Ray, possibly the best movie that I have seen in 2017. Great comedy, fabulous story, superb acting, a great soundtrack, and the lovely 2017 model of the Ford Mustang (which I currently have on order) being used quite gratuitously :lol:

Airwolfhound

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 11:43 am

Am I the only one to completely misunderstand this film?

No Pb643 - I agree with virtually every point you make. Myself and the Mrs went to see it at the IMAX (she being a history graduate whose focus was WW2) and we both came out making all the same points you did. It had the potential to be such a great film and it failed on every single count in my opinion. Apparently Nolan hates CGI but if ever there was a film that needed to be made into a larger than life epic with 400k troops CGI-ed onto the screen this was it.

And what is the obsession these days with every film producer shooting the entire film as if it is the first/ last half hour of daylight on a particularly misty day? I first saw this used in 'Sleepy Hollow' which was a sort of spoof horror so it worked - but the evacuation was end of May/ beginning of June so why is everything shot as if its a grim November morning?

The IMDB goofs is a fun read - if Nolan included it in his film then he got it wrong is the shortened version!

But the box office seemed to like it (as they have with all of his previous efforts) so no doubt he won't have trouble finding work - not that he needs to work after receiving 20% of the gross as his fee.
speedbird2639

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic