Movies!

Re: Movies!

Postby Ryan. on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

Depending on the reasoning, no. In the same vein as a big James Bond fan it wouldn't both me who they cast male or female as long as the casting department felt they were the right person for the job.

I try to write as much as possible, stage and radio plays and I've never once thought about the specific gender of any character I've written. I'm not saying it's always like that for every form of entertainment, of course not, but it does happen.

I'm fairly sure we are never going to agree on this, so perhaps better to agree to disagree and take the topic back to films people have watched and liked.
Ryan.

Postby jingernut on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 5:10 pm

So many good trailers out at the moment!

jingernut

Postby starbuck on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 11:48 pm

Just watched Darkest Hour this evening and came away a bit underwhelmed unfortunately.

I actually think Gary Oldman was a poor choice to portray Churchill, I know he wasn't deliberately trying to impersonate him, even going so far as to change the delivery on some of his most famous speeches but it meant that I couldn't get away from thinking that I was watching Gary Oldman dressed up as Churchill.

As for the underground scene, I was sinking lower into my seat the longer it went on, cringeworthy.

Shame really.
starbuck

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 8:29 am

Myself and my good lady went to see "Darkest Hour" at the weekend. She's a history graduate whose degree course was centred around WW2.

Her response? "I don't remember the last time I saw a film with so little story line or plot - and I've seen the 'Minion movie"!"

I wouldn't go quite that far but there were plenty of times during the film I had to fight the urge to look at my watch.

Given they cover broadly similar times in history maybe if we edited 'Dunkirk' and 'Darkest Hour' into one film we may have a watchable film rather than 2 'meh' ((c) Brevet) films - and it would give the opportunity to remove the scenes that ruined both films (the infinitely gliding Spitfire and the Underground scenes)
speedbird2639

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 12:35 pm

Had a well deserved day off last Friday so watched a couple of films. The first was 'Renegades' on Amazon. It was about a team of Navy Seals hunting down Nazi Gold in Sarajevo. A bit 'cheap' but fun and enjoyable.

Then went over to the local flea-pit and watched 'Den of Thieves'. Nothing outstanding, fairly predictable, but killed a couple of hours :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 5:19 pm

So I watched Cloverfield Paradox yesterday. Nothing revolutionary and certainly very cliché but I don't believe it deserves the slating it's received, it's perfectly watchable.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 9:15 am

As I’ve said before, Hollywood is stuck in a roughly 10 year loop.

I can think of only a few film franchises that need less of a “reboot” than a tired ‘MERICA series that only released its latest movie in 2017...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby tankbuster on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 8:36 pm

just seen Shape of Water and loved it. Unlike any film that I have ever seen and impossible to categorise. I suspect for every lover like me there may be a hater.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby AndyXH558 on Mon 05 Mar 2018, 1:44 pm

Agree with you on the shape of water, I absolutely loved it so much and really deserved to win the best picture oscar.

Saw Red Sparrow the other night. A gripping drama with plenty of good bits in it. Realised when we filmed the london scene that they had a huge shade over the action, it was because it was a warm sunny day and was set in the winter.

Black panther, an epic superhero film
AndyXH558

Three Billboards 10/10

Postby tankbuster on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 9:00 pm

Caught up with Three Billboards today, Outstanding!
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:04 am

Years behind everyone else, I'm just embarking on the entire Star Wars saga. Since I've never seen any of them before, I've set about them in chronological order.

Watched Rogue One tonight - by far the best I've seen to this point. I enjoyed Episode III also, but the other two seemed to drag and, as a total noob, they assumed a fair amount of prior knowledge. All three were plagued by some pretty wooden acting, ropey special effects and dreadful dialogue though, which detracted from the story.

Original trilogy next!
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:57 am

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Years behind everyone else, I'm just embarking on the entire Star Wars saga. Since I've never seen any of them before, I've set about them in chronological order.

Watched Rogue One tonight - by far the best I've seen to this point. I enjoyed Episode III also, but the other two seemed to drag and, as a total noob, they assumed a fair amount of prior knowledge. All three were plagued by some pretty wooden acting, ropey special effects and dreadful dialogue though, which detracted from the story.

Original trilogy next!

You'll be getting running water in Chelmsford next... :lol:
Dan O'Hagan

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:28 am

Err... I'm not a Star Wars expert by any stretch of the imagination but wouldn't it make more sense to watch the films in the order they were made because surely that way you would get some sense of the chronology of how the characters were introduced to the viewer?

I haven't watched episodes 1-3 yet and probably never will after all the dedicated Star Wars fans stated they were absolutely appalling.

You need to bear in mind that episodes 4-6 are getting on for 40 years old now so special effects are no where near modern standards; they were cutting edge at the time the films were released of course.
speedbird2639

Postby Wes_Howes on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:46 am

You have ruined the dramatic twist in Empire Strikes Back too :grin:
Wes_Howes

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 10:29 am

Let me know when any of the Batman films finally make it to Norfolk, Dan. :handbag:

Why jump back and forwards through a timeline if you don't have to?

I'd liken it to the Metal Gear Solid games. The story is best told in chronological order, regardless of the technology each game was made with; 1998's MGS1 and 2006's MGS3 stand head and shoulders above the others, even the games made two generations of hardware later.

The Star Wars fan that loaned me his collection advised this order as the best way to take in the story when starting out with the series, and with the obvious exceptions that you can't avoid in popular culture, nothing has been ruined if people don't tell me what's coming up next...
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Adie1980 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 11:41 am

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Years behind everyone else, I'm just embarking on the entire Star Wars saga. Since I've never seen any of them before, I've set about them in chronological order.

Original trilogy next!

With you having the luxury of viewing them all for the first time with fresh eyes and no nostalgiac baggage, I'd be VERY interested to know what you think of episodes VII & VIII when you get to them!
Attending Yeovilton Air Day 2018, RIAT 2018, FIA 2018 & Bournemouth Air Festival 2018
Adie1980

Postby AndyXH558 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 5:54 pm

The canto bight scene alone cost more than A New Hope.

Michael Kaplans credits for costume are amazing.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0438325/
AndyXH558

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 11:43 am

Adie1980 wrote:With you having the luxury of viewing them all for the first time with fresh eyes and no nostalgiac baggage, I'd be VERY interested to know what you think of episodes VII & VIII when you get to them!

Watch Episode VII last night. Just episode VIII left to watch, which I'll be doing on Friday night, so I'll post my thoughts on everything I've watched then.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 11:38 am

Star Wars saga completed last night, so my thoughts on everything I've seen as a newbie to the franchise. Obviously, I'm aware of the major plot twist from the original saga and most of the cast of characters (and machines) too, but I'd never actually watched any of them from start to finish before, so in terms of storyline, most of it was new to me, and in that regard, I actually quite enjoyed embarking on the saga from the beginning.

The prequels were the weakest of the films. Things didn't get off to a great start with the Phantom Menace; JarJar Binks' reputation was well deserved. I can scarcely recall a more annoying character in a film. From his almost unintelligible dialogue to the poor humour, he was an irritant from the first minute he was introduced. Fortunately, they increasingly phased him out as the films went on.

There were some dodgy performances in these first three movies - the worst acting of the franchise. Some of the death scenes in particular just seemed so weak, and very little of it was given any time to sink in,;they just relentlessly move onto the next scene.

Stylistically, the transition wipes between scenes seemed out of place too. Now, having seen the originals, I see why they were done, but they leapt out at me as "naff" right from the get go. I can forgive it in the originals. I don't think they were needed here, it cheapened the aesthetic, and they're still in the new films too.

I thought Neeson was flat as Qui Gon Jinn and McGregor wasn't much better, but he did improve through the trilogy. The SFX were really ropey looking at times, and although the premise of the three films was ok, I think overall the execution was lacking in many regards. The dialogue was atrocious at points and some of the sets and locations had an almost cartoony feel to them. I felt like perhaps the actors were having a hard time getting their teeth into stuff that seemed so phoney, and there was a disconnect between the real actors and the vast amounts of CGI they were interacting with.

That said, Revenge of the Sith was a lot more enjoyable than the other two. Maybe it's because I was starting to get into it, but I didn't really mind that film so much as the first pair. Anakin's descent to the dark side was perhaps a little contrived, but it served its purpose.

Next in the chronology is Rogue One, set before the events of the original trilogy. I loved this film. It was the best of the entire saga I thought - some great performances, and the first film that really captured what I was expecting from the franchise; primarily, a sense of fear of the bad guys and their almighty weapon and some real darkness to overcome. The droid in this one was great too; a new character that was amusing without ever becoming a clown. A stark contrast to JarJar...

Then onto the originals, which I was quite excited for. As I said, I was approaching them with knowledge of the characters and the major plot twist from the second film, but little else other than an expectation of a struggle of good vs evil over three films. Now, I've got no idea if they were ever conceived as a trilogy or just made up as they went along, but for me the massive disappointment in these was the destruction of the Death Star at the first attempt. It just seemed so anti-climactic compared to what I expected going in. I thought that would be the payoff at the end of the trilogy, and the fact it made a return in the third film to me suggests that the writers realised it was a mistake. Rogue One was so good because it portrayed this as a weapon to be feared; people took risks and made a huge sacrifice to give their cause a hope, rather than just paying lip service to the threat it posed and then just casually blowing it up at the very first attempt. It undermines their achievement in destroying it too, if they simply rebuild a weapon every time it gets blown up.

Of the three originals, I enjoyed Return of the Jedi the most. The Ewoks and their slapstick comedy annoyed, and some of their scenes went on too long I thought, but otherwise it was a satisfying conclusion to three decent films.

Perhaps watching Anakin's back story made me slightly more sympathetic to him, but Darth Vader wasn't quite the intimidating figure I expected going in, and aside from the destruction of Alderaan (which probably didn't have the SFX to really convey the heft that scene deserved) he seemed to get through more commanders than Rebels.

The Force Awakens was enjoyable, but there were a few things here that grated - not necessarily faults with this one film, but flaws throughout the series that I hoped might have been addressed by new owners.

It all started off well enough - in the opening half of the film, Kylo Ren was the ruthless, aggressive, evil leader I'd been waiting to see, and the Star Killer Base was a chance to rectify the disappointment of the Death Stars. Imagine my dismay then, when despite being about 20 times the size of the Death Star and having an awful lot more potential as a weapon to be feared, it too was destroyed at the first attempt. Why? Because the former toilet-cleaner knew it's weakness. Lame.

Kylo Ren, for me, went off the rails the second he removed his mask. I don't want to see the person under the mask. In Nolan's Batman films, there's a great line about how, as 'a symbol', he can strike fear into his enemies more than 'a man' ever could. I want that psychology for the villains in Star Wars - the second you remove your mask, you're a human like everyone else, and in this case, a pretty-boy.

Vader didn't remove his mask until his death scene (for plot reasons), but that added to his character and I'm sure for those that watched the films in release order, probably added to his mystique. I know why they do it, it's the same reason that Sam Raimi had Spider-Man take his mask off every 30 seconds; so we can see the actor and their facial expressions. I just think it weakens the villain if you reduce them to being the same as everyone else. Hide behind a mask, cause untold chaos and eventually get your comeuppance - the Dark Knight films captured this brilliantly and I don't think anything in Star Wars did it nearly as well. Kylo Ren had that potential for me, but was undone.

I can understand it too when he's face to face with his dad, but even then, I think he'd come out of it as a more powerful character if he declines to remove the mask, tells him the son he knew is dead, and then kills him anyway. The end result is the same, but you see he's evil, you see he's uncompromising and yet you retain the mystery. It's given away too cheaply.

The Last Jedi was a decent film, but I'm not sure I preferred it over TFA. Yet again, the villain's new super weapons were destroyed without much fuss and they're found wanting in battle again. BB8 was too OTT for my liking - in TFA he was well cast as a fun new droid; a sidekick. He shouldn't be the hero as he often was here, and there was humour injected into scenes that really didn't require it.

Also, why does the former toilet cleaner know so much about all of the enemies weapons and systems? It's weak whichever way I look at it - if it was just supposed to be a joke that he was in sanitation, it undermines the role he now plays for the resistance, and if it's serious, it just looks like bad writing to make someone so unimportant to the First Order the answer to every problem for the Resistance.

Also, when he and the girl are about to be executed in a room filled with thousands of Storm troopers, the ship gets hit. From that chaos, there are two dead troopers and two surviving humans. What!? Where did the rest of them vanish?

The death of the new emperor was underwhelming too. Portrayed as an almighty evil force, he's killed by the first lightsaber we ever see him near and despite the power he's supposed to have to get us to this point in the film, he gets beaten by the old Jedi mind trick!? Something else that just fell flat and anti-climactic.

Leia's survival from the blast that wiped out the bridge was a bit too far-fetched. I think there's a danger in these films of using "the force" as a cop-out for almost any situation, a bit like "nano machines" became in the Metal Gear series. I think there was a bit too much "force" and not enough reality in TLJ for my liking.

I'm fine with good guys triumphing in a one-off movie, but when you're telling a story across three films, I don't think it's necessary to have every film end on a happy note. You can leave us with a cliff-hanger, and save that payoff for the end.

Overall though, I quite enjoyed them. There's a lot of characters to keep track of, especially watching the films in quick succession without having years between each release to re-watch and analyse as existing fans of the series have, so maybe I've misread some elements. If nothing else, it's given me a bit more context when I'm playing the PS4 game. :grin:

Rogue One stood out a mile compared to everything else I saw - it was gritty and far more grown up in tone. I probably came at the others with expectations too high for what are, ultimately, children's films.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby timuss on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 4:04 pm

Infinity War tomorrow morning can't bloomin wait :yahoo: :rock:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby DanH on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 8:30 pm

timuss wrote:Infinity War tomorrow morning can't bloomin wait :yahoo: :rock:

I'm seeing it at 7pm. Think I may have to completely avoid social media tomorrow just in case.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby timuss on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 9:28 pm

DanH wrote:

I'm seeing it at 7pm. Think I may have to completely avoid social media tomorrow just in case.

Yeah for that reason I'm seeing it at 10.10 tomorrow morning IMAX of course :cool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby DanH on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 5:21 am

timuss wrote:
DanH wrote:

Yeah for that reason I'm seeing it at 10.10 tomorrow morning IMAX of course :cool:

I'm seeing it in standard 2D as I'm not a fan of 3D as I find it distracts from the story. I saw Dunkirk last year in 2D IMAX and that was one of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had, I wish more cinemas offered that as an option.

Hope you enjoy the film, perhaps we ought to start up a separate *SPOILERS* thread so that people can discussion it without giving it away for those who haven't seen it yet.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby pbeardmore on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 9:00 am

LN Strike Eagle - re your opinions on Rogue One, you are clearly someone of great taste. It works well on so many levels. I just love it.

PS went to a movie quiz last night night run by someone who knew very little about movies . Sooooooo frustrating for an anal film buff like me :wall: :wall:
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic