Movies!

Re: Movies!

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 3:59 pm

F575 wrote:I sat and watched (suffered through?) The Commuter the other day, utterly rubbish! Even though Liam Neeson is now playing his Taken character in pretty much every film he makes these days, it's still a turgid pile of garbage.
I gave up at the point when he met the woman on the train :lol:

pbeardmore wrote:Filming Rambo 5 at the moment. Very much hoping they will return to the feel of First Blood...

Rambo starts beating the bad guys over the head with his zimmer frame,cricks his back because of arthritis, then wanders away mumbling to himself because he's forgotten what he's doing? :lol:

I they wanted to do another 'Rambo', they'd have been better off remaking the original but sticking closer to the book.
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby F575 on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 10:05 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:
F575 wrote:I sat and watched (suffered through?) The Commuter the other day, utterly rubbish! Even though Liam Neeson is now playing his Taken character in pretty much every film he makes these days, it's still a turgid pile of garbage.
I gave up at the point when he met the woman on the train :lol:

I'm regretting the fact that I didn't! :lol:

Watched Solo the other night as well, it's got it's moments but it's not on par with Rogue One for me. No issues with the cast or anything, but it could have easily done with a few scenes being longer - especially at the start after the Corellia scenes. It's not bad though, certainly far better than The Last Jedi...
F575

Postby tankbuster on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 2:52 pm

First Man

Enjoyed it very much, might appeal to forum members. Probably the best insight I've had in just how scary it was being one of these guys.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Red Dragon on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 7:14 pm

I've it’s for finished watching “Bohemian Rhapsody”. All I can say is WOW! If you like the music, go and watch the movie. It is remarkable, you even get to see how he began to use the snapped mike stand. There are moments of sadness in it, but overall Rami Malik has Freddie’s mannerisms down to a tee.
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
Red Dragon

Postby CJS on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 7:36 pm

tankbuster wrote:First Man

Enjoyed it very much, might appeal to forum members. Probably the best insight I've had in just how scary it was being one of these guys.

I thought it was all a film anyway... :whistle:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Euan Buchan on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 7:18 am

Last film I watched was Gimmie Some Truth The making of John Lennon's Imagine Album.
Euan Buchan

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 6:42 pm

It was weak IMHO. Our hero seemed to be either in robot mode or on the verge of a breakdown. The was little joy, humour, friendship banter and awe. It was very inward looking. It's a movie about grief and loss rather than a movie about space exploration. Such a shame. Not in the same league as the masterpiece, The Right Stuff .

"Go, hot dog, go!"
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Paul_Reflex on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 7:17 pm

pbeardmore wrote:

It was weak IMHO. Our hero seemed to be either in robot mode or on the verge of a breakdown. The was little joy, humour, friendship banter and awe. It was very inward looking. It's a movie about grief and loss rather than a movie about space exploration. Such a shame. Not in the same league as the masterpiece, The Right Stuff .

"Go, hot dog, go!"

I haven't yet seen First Man, but it would have to go a long way to top The Right Stuff. Just wanted to mention that the Blu Ray restoration looks amazing, well worth seeking out.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Burleysway on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 8:01 pm

Red Dragon wrote:I've it’s for finished watching “Bohemian Rhapsody”. All I can say is WOW! If you like the music, go and watch the movie. It is remarkable, you even get to see how he began to use the snapped mike stand. There are moments of sadness in it, but overall Rami Malik has Freddie’s mannerisms down to a tee.

Going on Sunday.
The Sand Spider
Burleysway

Postby Airwolfhound on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 1:43 pm

CJS wrote:

I thought it was all a film anyway... :whistle:

:loser: :clown:

I went and saw it, found it very enjoyable, and very interesting. Has it swayed my opinions, no it hasn't............ :ninja: :ninja: :lol:

I saw 'The Right Stuff' many years ago, that was quality and hasn't yet been matched. Scott Glenn, and Sam Shepard are two of my favourite actors and were great in the film, and the film definitely deserved the Academy Awards it received.

Very much looking forward to 'The First', (albeit a TV series, not a movie) that looks very good.
Last edited by Airwolfhound on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Burleysway on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 2:57 pm

Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody, went at 11.00am and it was only a fiver.

Very entertaining and loud.

The Live Aid concert was so realistic at one point I thought it was the real thing.

Well worth seeing.
The Sand Spider
Burleysway

Postby timuss on Mon 29 Oct 2018, 3:23 pm

Saw First Man today and thorughly enjoyed it a fascinating account of the race to the moon.,
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Euan Buchan on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 11:05 pm

I'm watching The Nightmare Before Christmas on DVD since it's Halloween.
Euan Buchan

Postby AlexC on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 11:03 am

Airwolfhound wrote:I saw 'The Right Stuff' many years ago, that was quality and hasn't yet been matched. Scott Glenn, and Sam Shepard are two of my favourite actors and were great in the film, and the film definitely deserved the Academy Awards it received.

Couldn't agree more, certainly in my top ten of the best films I've ever seen.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby vandal on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 7:39 pm

Thinking of going to see The Girl in the Spiders Web - just wondering, is it essential that I watch the other 3 in the series (The Girl Trilogy - Noomi Rapace) before doing so?

Thanks.
vandal

Postby Red Dragon on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 8:56 pm

vandal wrote:Thinking of going to see The Girl in the Spiders Web - just wondering, is it essential that I watch the other 3 in the series (The Girl Trilogy - Noomi Rapace) before doing so?

Thanks.

The reviewer below Chris Stuckman, states that you can watch the film as a stand alone film as "The Girl in the Spiders Web" seems to be a re-boot of the Mara/ Craig version of the Dragon Tattoo film, into a more cinema friendly character, similar to maybe a female James Bond/ Jason Bourne super spy character.

Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
Red Dragon

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 10:04 pm

Agree that they can all be watched as stand-alone movies.
If you want to watch the previous ones, I'd definitely suggest the original Swedish Rapace/Nyqvist versions rather than the Mara/Craig versions which are supposed to be exact remakes ( in English not Swedish ) but the originals come across as being much darker.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby vandal on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 4:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. It will be the original film's I'll watch. Will try to get at least one in before going to see the latest offering. :smile:
vandal

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 3:50 pm

We watched 'Killing Gunther' on Netflix over the weekend.

Arnie as the world's greatest assassin trying to be knocked off by another assassin and his team that wants to be the greatest in the world.

Found it to be very funny :lol: :clap:

Airwolfhound

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 9:22 am

Saw Operation Red Sea over the weekend, absolutely awesome if you are into action movies. It was totally unrelenting, very violent and lots of gore.

It is a military film from China, with full cooperation from the Chinese military, so lots of decent hardware on show.

It was all in Chinese though, but not much talking to be honest and the subtitles were short and easy enough to skim through whilst the action was on screen.

Highly recommended if you are so inclined :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... sOD1Qc0O4M

Airwolfhound

Postby Euan Buchan on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 1:44 pm

I'm currently watching George Harrison Living In The Material World as a tribute for the 17th Anniversary of George's death.
Euan Buchan

Postby timuss on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 9:02 pm

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody the other day what a great film, as somebody not old enough to have seen Queen in there prime, i thouroughly enjoyed the film.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 9:28 pm

Did a double-header on DVD.....'Gods and Generals' followed by Gettysburg'.
Such a shame that Maxwell never made 'The Last Full Measure' to complete the trilogy.

Edited to add....

Not watching, as it ain't out yet....by all accounts there's a British-made version of 'War Of The Worlds' in the pipeline, yet another one that's going to be set in the present time - I'm assuming it's going to be a movie, but as it's being done by Fox it could just as well be a series.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Euan Buchan on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 11:56 pm

Been watching a few Christmas films. Yesterday I watched Deck The Halls & Love Actually and today watched The Polar Express.
Euan Buchan

Postby Wbirdnut on Fri 07 Dec 2018, 8:53 am

Just stumbled across this thread, an oldie but a goodie from down under,
"The World's Fastest Indian" Anthony Hopkins, legend, playing Burt Munro
another legend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Yy1vihIKs
Wbirdnut

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic