The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 3:10 pm

TalkShi.......err, I mean TalkTalk. :whistle:
Internet connection's been playing up all afternoon ( lots of random disconnects )
Bet they don't offer any compensation for it.

This after they recently dumped all the former AOL UK customers onto Oath (UK) Ltd, part of Verizon ( a micky-mouse media company )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Pen Pusher on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 3:26 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Internet connection's been playing up all afternoon ( lots of random disconnects )

So has mine and I'm not on TalkTalk. Finally managed to book a hotel room in London for tomorrow night and I've been trying since breakfast.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 4:10 pm

Hmm....looking on the 'downdetector' & 'istheservicedown' websites, a heck of a lot of companies appear to have been affected :
http://downdetector.co.uk/archive/
https://istheservicedown.co.uk/

No mention of anything on the BBC's website yet.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Berf on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 10:53 am

According to the press Meltdown and Spectre:are ‘worst ever’ CPU bugs affect virtually all computers. Everything from smartphones and PCs to cloud computing affected by major security flaw found in Intel and other processors – and fix could slow devices.

Yet we are virtually forced to use internet banking tax returns etc etc etc
Berf

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:02 am

Its not really a 'major security flaw' though is it. There are no records that anyone anywhere has ever located this flaw in the real World and then used the flaw to hack someone device.

It, like most of the other things that they discover, is just a 'theoretical flaw' which now someone has notified the Press about it they will have to do something about it. But no one outside of Intel knew anything about it this time last week so there was, in effect, for all practical purposes, no flaw.
speedbird2639

Postby cg_341 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:49 am

Already fixed on Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services, I think a patch was rolled out for Linux kernel last night and I'd imagine the update that popped up last night on currently supported Windows OSes is their emergency patch. Apple supposedly patched it some time ago, but there's varying agreement over whether they really did it or just said they did after the fact!

As for phones and tablets, very few of them run Intel CPUs so the vulnerability there is somewhat limited. iOS obviously doesn't run on an Intel CPU, and it's only a third-part Android built that'll run on them, consumer phones don't.

So, all told, not a major issue at all, but it got the media excited for a few hours! :lmao:
cg_341

Postby Berf on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 1:36 pm

Major or not, worse or not than others the business, banking and government worlds increasingly expect us to store or use systems that deal with our personal data and money within systems that have flaws exploitable by others or that others can have access to.
Berf

Postby cg_341 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 1:56 pm

Bit like paper, that can be destroyed if it's too hot, too cold, too wet or too dry. Or perhaps stolen, or lost, or a filing cabinet might fall over and all your paperwork split up and mixed with other peoples'?
cg_341

Postby AlexC on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 8:46 pm

cg_341 wrote:Bit like paper, that can be destroyed if it's too hot, too cold, too wet or too dry. Or perhaps stolen, or lost, or a filing cabinet might fall over and all your paperwork split up and mixed with other peoples'?

All true, but have to say nothing like that ever happened to me, perhaps I was just lucky?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Berf on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 9:05 pm

cg_341 wrote:Bit like paper, that can be destroyed if it's too hot, too cold, too wet or too dry. Or perhaps stolen, or lost, or a filing cabinet might fall over and all your paperwork split up and mixed with other peoples'?

Maybe so but not as easily accessible to anyone in the world with a much time as they need to do with it what they will. But some are happy with the risk or choose to ignore it so good luck to them and some others don't have a choice.
Berf

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 5:37 pm

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experienc ... 6cc66f.png

Not much to add really.............its as close to legal theft as you can get
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby wv383 on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 6:13 pm

So even though he resigned he still gets that much in salary until this October. Normally when you resign your salary stops. Obviously not in his case!
Simon
wv383

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:52 pm

There are two worlds.

The world of normal people where resignation means leaving your job and, at the same time, having your pay and related package stopped.

And the world of "the elite" where resignation means leaving your job but being paid the full package for another 12 months.

Of course, the "normal people" formally employed by Carillion will have not resigned but their employer no longer exists so they get nothing but a massive hole in their pension plan.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby jalfrezi on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 4:49 pm

Looks like the payments to current and former executives are to be stopped with immediate effect.

Meanwhile, payments to Carillion directors have been stopped.

The Insolvency Service also confirmed that severance payouts to former executives would not be made.

Several former executives would have received pay and benefits this year.

Carillion had agreed to keep paying former chief executive Richard Howson a £660,000 salary and £28,000 in benefits until October as part of his departure deal.
Former finance chief Zafar Khan, who left Carillion in September, was due to receive £425,000 in base salary for 12 months
Interim chief executive Keith Cochrane was due to be paid his £750,000 salary until July, despite leaving the company in February.

Good job too.
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby AlexC on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 6:34 pm

rdchawk wrote:Taxi drivers who seem to think indicating is not necessary

Can't see them ever being cured of that.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby pbeardmore on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:56 am

So the Carillion pension pot is missing a billion whilst shareholders and senior management continued to get paid. Can someone please explain to me why this is not theft? Why have the HQ and homes of directors not been raided etc.

meanwhile , Channel 5 tonight, Police Intercepters. Lets focus on low life nicking cars and having a spliff whilst a billion is lost via the white collar route.
pbeardmore

Postby Berf on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 4:11 pm

Our country - run by morons and crooks - whatever political allegiance they are and paid for by the public who deserve so much better:

A National Audit Office report reveals that the MoD is paying £178 million a year to rent properties it sold and now leases back.

The MoD sold more than 55,000 service family homes across 770 sites to Annington Property Limited in 1996 in return for a £1.66 billion upfront cash lump sum.

The National Audit Office report says that the MoD has since rented them back on 200-year underleases, and is paying more than £178 million a year for the remaining 39,000 properties.

The report indicates how the MoD business case assumed house price increases of 1% per year with a 3.9% increase, excluding inflation, now the actual figure.

“The MoD’s sale of service family accommodation in 1996 has turned out to be a rotten deal for the taxpayer”
– Meg Hillier, Public Accounts Committee chairwoman

Key facts from the report

£2.2 billion to £4.2 billion is the amount by which the MoD would be better off if it had retained the estate
55,000 the number of military homes across 770 sites sold to Annington Property Limited in 1996
39,000 homes the MoD now leases from the company
£11,369 is the average amount per unit the MoD has paid to return surplus properties back to the required standard
19% is the current vacancy rate in properties on the Annington estate
Amyas Morse, head of the National Audit Office, said the sale and leaseback deal was “based upon pessimistic views of the future growth in property values.”

Mr Morse also highlighted how there was a “mitigating feature that the rents charged to the military families who lived there were restricted for the first 20 years. This has cost the public sector a great deal in capital growth, and it has been a great deal for the landlord.

In 2021 the period of restricted rents is over. The question is now whether the landlord will get a very large rent increase on top of the very substantial capital gains they have already received.”

An MoD spokesman said:

“The NAO supported the Annington deal in 1997 and is clear that the surge in house prices could not have been predicted.

We have a team working on renegotiating the deal, and believe that rent prices should continue to fall to secure value for money for taxpayers.”
Berf

Postby starbuck on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 4:48 pm

Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. I'm sure the 1.6 billion injected into the public purse was put to very good use back in 1996. Complete non-story as far as I can see unless the government of the day was strongly advised not to do the deal which, going by the report, it wasn't.
starbuck

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 5:07 pm

Berf - totally agree with your sentiments. One of the issues we have is that, every time our leaders mess up and waste money, there are those you just shrug their shoulders and say "hindsight is a wonderful thing" .

I think around 180 million was wasted undervaluing the Post Office, but hindsight is a wonderful thing,

1.3 billion worth of contracts awarded to Carillion after their profit warning..but hindsight is a wonderful thing,

1 billion wasted on Nimrod AEW........... but hindsight is a wonderful thing

A PM who called a referendum on Brexit (confident of a stay vote) with zero advanced planning for a leave vote and resigns ASAP ...but hindsight is a wonderful thing

A PM who has a working majority (at a time the country is in desperate need of leadership) but calls a snap election and ends up losing the majority and forced to buy votes (our money again ) from the DUP...but hindsight is a wonderful thing

Leaders are paid to make correct calls and when they dont, we simply dont hold them to account. They walk off into the sunset and we are left to pay the bill and deal with the consequences.
pbeardmore

Postby Tommy on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 8:54 pm

Agreed. Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing. Someone should tell politicians that foresight is an even wonderfuller thing.

Or, maybe given that they are normally invariably warned about their decisions at the time, just "sight" would do.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 9:46 pm

Except for anything military, where the vast majority of VSOs won't stick their heads above the parapet to say "Err...I'm sorry, but...." ( or are too busy playing politics themselves and/or lining up cushy directorships with the various companies involved )

After all, when have politicians ever sought the opinion of the rank & file who'd be most affected by their decisions?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:31 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Berf - totally agree with your sentiments. One of the issues we have is that, every time our leaders mess up and waste money, there are those you just shrug their shoulders and say "hindsight is a wonderful thing" .

I think around 180 million was wasted undervaluing the Post Office, but hindsight is a wonderful thing,

1.3 billion worth of contracts awarded to Carillion after their profit warning..but hindsight is a wonderful thing,

1 billion wasted on Nimrod AEW........... but hindsight is a wonderful thing

A PM who called a referendum on Brexit (confident of a stay vote) with zero advanced planning for a leave vote and resigns ASAP ...but hindsight is a wonderful thing

A PM who has a working majority (at a time the country is in desperate need of leadership) but calls a snap election and ends up losing the majority and forced to buy votes (our money again ) from the DUP...but hindsight is a wonderful thing

Leaders are paid to make correct calls and when they dont, we simply dont hold them to account. They walk off into the sunset and we are left to pay the bill and deal with the consequences.

Ok - just because I don't believe that there is any value in hanging Portillo out to dry for a decision he made over 20 years ago (a decision he took on advisement and which had the full support of the housing experts at the time) doesn't mean that I automatically always apply the same 'hindsight' rule to everything a politician always does.

Quite often it isn't the decisions made that are the problem its how those decisions are then executed and using some foresight as Tommy says, to go back to the original point about the MOD housing, there should have been a clause in the contract that should the values rise beyond a certain threshold then the contract will be reviewed.

This always seems to be the way things are done with BAE and the flimsy contracts that the MOD draw up, a classic case being the Nimrod debacle you mentioned.

Its all relative anyway and can only be viewed on its merits at the time. Right now as we living and breathing some of these decisions they do seem wrong or misguided but who's to say that in the future the complete opposite could be the common view.

I remember around the same time that Portillo was selling MOD houses a lot of experts were saying we had to join the Euro and were still saying we should have done right up until Ireland, Greece and the rest of them went pop.
starbuck

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 8:47 am

The Euro is a good example (and a lonely one) of a decision we got right.

Overall, sometimes it seems as if a pair of dice or a dartboard would be just as good as our politicians (cheaper and with no scandals). I find it hard to come up with lists of good ideas and things they got right (with hindsift compared to all of the mess ups).

The execution of Brexit could not be a bigger mess. This is not with hindsight. We are watching unfold in front uf us on a daily basis. I don't think May will last the next 2 to 3 months and, then who do we have as the next PM? Leaving asside policy/party, the quality of our politicians seems to be at all all time low. I'm struggling to think of one who can actually produce a really good speech with passion, guts and vision. Thatcher or Kinnock had more energy, vision and drive than the whole of the present Commons put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZBcxUBvooo
pbeardmore

Postby Spiny Norman on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 6:07 pm

pbeardmore wrote:
The execution of Brexit could not be a bigger mess. This is not with hindsight. We are watching unfold in front uf us on a daily basis. I don't think May will last the next 2 to 3 months and, then who do we have as the next PM? Leaving asside policy/party, the quality of our politicians seems to be at all all time low. I'm struggling to think of one who can actually produce a really good speech with passion, guts and vision. Thatcher or Kinnock had more energy, vision and drive than the whole of the present Commons put together.

Agree completely.

Having David Davis in charge of Brexit negotiations is like having a 3-year-old kid in charge of booking the RIAT line-up. He is very excited and gushing and positvie and thinks the Tomat back to the skies project will be amazing!

But is completely divorced from reality.

I wish some adults would come along (sorry Jacob, Boris and Michael) and take charge of this sorry episode.
I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
Spiny Norman

Postby AlexC on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:25 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:I wish some adults would come along (sorry Jacob, Boris and Michael) and take charge of this sorry episode.

Could not agree more. I fear that the EU negotiators are going to run rings round us.
AlexC

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic