The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Tommy on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 6:11 pm

AlexC wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:I wish some adults would come along (sorry Jacob, Boris and Michael) and take charge of this sorry episode.


Could not agree more. I fear that the EU negotiators are going to run rings round us.


Agree too. But this has been evident for almost the entire duration May has been in power (give or take a couple months' grace period when she first started). It's been obvious, too. Even an absolute political arsebiscuit like me could see it.

My post on this forum, from almost exactly 12 months ago (Re. that A.50 judgment in the Supreme Court):

The most significant part of this judgment? May has made a poor decision, and made that poor decisions against good advice. In the trade negotiation process where the razor-sharp EU negotiators will not be looking to give an inch, there is spectacularly little room for error. Significantly, what this entire court scenario shows, is that May's decision-making might not be up to scratch


Since then she's held a terrible election, and been reduced to almost a proxy prime minister, a shell. When was the last time you heard her do or say anything of note? It's all her own party members which are getting in the paper, and seldom ever her. I'm not wheeling that out to beat my own chest, but if it's patently obvious to a tool like me that she makes poor decisions (and that's what negotiations are all about, with precious little room for error), then the EU negotiating team that's prepared, well-oiled, and well-manned know this too. And it makes me sad that we stand to be cut to ribbons so.

Regardless of which "side" one is on, Labour, Tories, Liberals, Greens, Plaid(!), SNP or whomever, the lack of genuinely competent politicians in this country at the moment is enough to make you weep.

How can the populace be encouraged to vote when the calibre of what's on offer is absolute crap.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 9:13 am

the trouble is, when you decide not to vote because the candidates are useless, you get loads of people saying : its your duty to vote, people died so you could vote etc etc, many people vote without really thinkning about the personal qualities/experience of the candidates.

An we are seeing the results
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
User avatar
pbeardmore

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 4:20 pm

The BBC....again !
I can't be the only one who thinks the numpty who wrote the following is in the wrong job :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-43062264
British Olympic diver Tom Daley has announced he is having a baby with his husband, US film director Dustin Lance Black.
(snip)
They have not revealed any more details about the pregnancy, including whether or not a surrogate is involved

Jesus wept !
It doesn't take a genius to work it out, does it !
HE is a male...his HUSBAND is a male....human males can't get pregnant ( despite the crap they've claimed in the past, when a female who's had a partial sex-change to look like a male becomes pregnant ) :facepalm:



And don't get me started on all the crap where Sony et al are apologising about the new 'Peter Rabbit' film !! :wall:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby 5944 on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 5:12 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:And don't get me started on all the crap where Sony et al are apologising about the new 'Peter Rabbit' film !! :wall:

I take it you don't have any allergies that could kill you then? I have a severe nut allergy - if someone thought it would be funny to catapult a Brazil nut into my mouth and I didn't have my Epipen, I'd be dead within minutes. Not something you really joke about.
5944

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby CJS on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 5:40 pm

Well no of course not. But are you really offended by the scene in the film? If so, and if others genuinely are, then perhaps Sony should make the apology. But if they're apologising because some people have got upset by the scene just because they can, then clearly it's more silly snowflake nonsense - and let's be clear here, I'm not accusing you of that.

I got told once to stop using the phrase 'brain storm' because it could be offensive to epileptics. I said I'd gladly stop if you could find me a single person with epilepsy who was actually offended by the term. I'm still waiting.

So if (note, if) there are those who suffer from life threatening allergies who are genuinely offended then yes, apologise. I know at least two people who are, and who have seen the film, and who weren't in the slightest bit upset by it. Make of that what you will.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 6:25 pm

Films have always made fun of things which individuals can be offended by.
So have books.
So have plays.

Should the makers of films such as 'Trainspotting' or 'Twin Towns' apologise to anyone who is/has a family member who is/was a druggie?
Should the makers of 'Fight Club' apologise for making fun of people with cancer?
Should the makers of 'Minions', 'Up', 'ParaNorman', etc. apologise to fat kids?
Should the makers of 'Dr Who' apologise for repeatedly making jokes about the Welsh & gingers?
What about 'The Life of Brian' & 'Dogma', which make fun of Christians, Catholics & Jews?
Should Mel Brooks apologise for making fun of black people, Jews, the Holocaust, and just about everything else you can think of?
Where do you draw the line?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby FarnboroJohn on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Films have always made fun of things which individuals can be offended by.

Should the makers of 'Fight Club' apologise for making fun of people with cancer?


No, because Rule One is nobody talks about Fight Club.

John
FarnboroJohn

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby borismorris on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 7:37 am

:rofl: :wink:
borismorris

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Tommy on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:51 pm

CJS wrote:Well no of course not. But are you really offended by the scene in the film?


That's it in a (forgive me) nutshell.

Correlation does not necessarily equal causation. Personally I don't find that funny, and certainly if I had a deadly allergy, I wouldn't find it funny. But that doesn't mean I am or would be offended by it.

It isn't the case here, but on the wider topic, it seems to me that companies/organisations will apologise for something, without actually knowing if they've offended anyone (or enough people to make an apology worthwhile - yeah "campaign groups" appear from nowhere, but they're usually a tiny proportion of people, but shout the loudest). Look at all these different "offence" stories - notice the reason? It's usually "for fear it may cause offence". That's different to it actually causing offence. And it's often missed. And then you get insensitive knobs like me who don't fully understand the issue, haven't seen the thing, have no other reason to care weighing in on the topic either for or against.

Many go straight ahead and blame the sector/group/community whom they think are being snowflakes, and miss the fact that it's the company/production studio/whatever that is causing such a debate.

You see it a lot with minorities - As an example, "Council wont do X because they fear it will offend the local Muslim community" - the actual Muslim community is often fine, they couldn't care less about X (or if some do, it's a tiny fringe group with extreme views about things who shouldn't be given the time of day anyway), but then you get all these ill-informed racist snotrags saying "if you don't like it you should go back to your own country"... It's just so god damned tedious, and wrong. It's the Council whom are being "snowflakes", not the minority community. Or that god-awful, and untrue "we can't have hot cross buns anymore because it offends XYZ. What's this country coming to?"

In this instance, it does seem like a stupid thing to put in a movie - I don't get why you'd need to write it in. It seems unfunny, and needless, but "offended"? I don't think I am.

"Dislike" does not equal "offence" in my books.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 1:12 pm

Tommy wrote:In this instance, it does seem like a stupid thing to put in a movie - I don't get why you'd need to write it in.

Possibly because the character in question is the 'baddie' & it's a form of come-uppance....much like Captain Hook getting eaten by the crocodile, or what happens to various characters in 'Charlie And The Chocolate Factory' ?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby pbeardmore on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:53 pm

How have we got into the situation where some people seem to think that they have a right to live their lives within an "offence free "environment?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
User avatar
pbeardmore

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Tommy on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 4:13 pm

pbeardmore wrote:How have we got into the situation where some people seem to think that they have a right to live their lives within an "offence free "environment?


We haven’t. The problem is everyone thinks we have. It’s exactly that that I was writing about above.

I think perhaps it’s the same problem as this stupid mantra of some confusing “right to an opinion” with “right to blurt it out to whomever they wish and never have anyone question or scrutinise it”. The former is cast-iron, the latter doesn’t exist.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 5:03 pm

It's all the fault of students.

Well, American students, anyway.....and the lecturers who let them have their own way instead of telling them to do one.
Funnily enough, their 'safe spaces' don't do much good when one of their fellow - or former - students goes postal with an assortment of weaponry.
( Maybe 'going postal' is an antiquated term & should be replaced with 'going student' )

Can't blame British students, because if what I see in Cardiff is anything to go by they're too busy getting paralytic, abusing various substances & fighting with each other (or inanimate objects such as bus shelters) to worry about 'offence free environments'
:whistle:

:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Tommy on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:37 am

Those stinky, stinky students. :cuppa:

I don't suppose me being a postgrad makes it any better? :hide:
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 3:13 pm

Nah, you're in the same sort of category as mature students -- You're a retread ( yes, I did spell that correctly :lol: ) as you're doing a follow-on degree to the one you've already got, plus it's a proper degree...unlike most students these days who only go to University because it's been touted as being the only way to get a 'proper job'.
Makes you wonder how most of them will manage in the real world, where they'll have to turn up for work more than a few hours once or twice a week....or is that why call-centres have such a high staff turnover... :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 3:25 pm

Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby AFKAMC on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 1:40 am

Brevet Cable wrote:More snowflakeness...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-43084843


I was deeply offended by this, mainly because the clues were too hard, and therefore discriminatory against the cruciverbalistically challenged, such as myself.
User avatar
AFKAMC

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Tommy on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 8:30 am

Actually I'm going to semi-180 this. That is bloody stupid of them to include that word. It doesn't necessarily "offend" me per the discussion above, but it's a particularly foul word. Of the many hundreds of thousands of other words out there, why would you ever need to include it?

"Offended"? No. Was it wrong of them to do? Absolutely.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 1:47 pm

It's still the Spanish word for the colour black, so you'll find it appears on lots of common objects - tins of paint, shoe polish, clothing, foodstuff, etc. - which has Spanish text on it's labelling.
Not to mention names of shops, restaurants, etc.
Because it's Spanish, it's in common usage in areas of America with Hispanic populations, including the USA.

It's one of those words where context is everything.....after all, should we stop calling a digging implement a spade, or a shoe & clothing fabric suede ?

From what I've seen reported elsewhere, the social media backlash on it's use consisted primarily of one person taking offence at it's use, and there were more people offended by the wording of 'clue 18'

As you say, though, given that it was an anagram clue they could have found a better one.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby AlexC on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 8:41 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:More snowflakeness...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-43084843


The current accepted term appears to be 'person of colour', but certainly not 'coloured person'. If someone could explain why that is I'd be very grateful, because I find it quite a puzzle?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 9:40 pm

Because 'coloured' is an apartheid term, both in South Africa and the US. I could cringe myself inside out every time I hear it, its synonymous with the worst of institutional racism.

Horrid.

And I'm 50 - I'm no youngster. But 'coloured' has been an offensive term as long as I can remember. And rightly so.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby AlexC on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 9:51 am

OK, fair enough, thanks for the explanation, for some reason I hadn't made that connection. However, given that 'coloured' is a no-no, I would have thought that 'colour' would be too?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 1:53 pm

It all reminds me of the ( true to life ) scene in the film 'Gettysburg' where the Chaimberlain brothers are discussing a runaway slave the troops have discovered, and the oft-repeated phrase from Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain throughout the rest of the film : "Dammit, Tom, stop calling them...."

What's acceptable and unacceptable phraseology can vary over time - and sometimes over a short timeframe - and you can even get the situation where what was previously considered unacceptable later becomes acceptable.
Not to mention that what's acceptable in some Countries isn't acceptable in others.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby AlexC on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 11:08 am

Certainly can be a bit of a minefield. BTW, Gettysburg was a great film.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 6:00 pm

Even the ambulance service are snowflakes these days....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-43130355
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aceyone, Berf and 13 guests