The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 3:10 pm

TalkShi.......err, I mean TalkTalk. :whistle:
Internet connection's been playing up all afternoon ( lots of random disconnects )
Bet they don't offer any compensation for it.

This after they recently dumped all the former AOL UK customers onto Oath (UK) Ltd, part of Verizon ( a micky-mouse media company )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Pen Pusher on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 3:26 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Internet connection's been playing up all afternoon ( lots of random disconnects )

So has mine and I'm not on TalkTalk. Finally managed to book a hotel room in London for tomorrow night and I've been trying since breakfast.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 4:10 pm

Hmm....looking on the 'downdetector' & 'istheservicedown' websites, a heck of a lot of companies appear to have been affected :
http://downdetector.co.uk/archive/
https://istheservicedown.co.uk/

No mention of anything on the BBC's website yet.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Berf on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 10:53 am

According to the press Meltdown and Spectre:are ‘worst ever’ CPU bugs affect virtually all computers. Everything from smartphones and PCs to cloud computing affected by major security flaw found in Intel and other processors – and fix could slow devices.

Yet we are virtually forced to use internet banking tax returns etc etc etc
Berf

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:02 am

Its not really a 'major security flaw' though is it. There are no records that anyone anywhere has ever located this flaw in the real World and then used the flaw to hack someone device.

It, like most of the other things that they discover, is just a 'theoretical flaw' which now someone has notified the Press about it they will have to do something about it. But no one outside of Intel knew anything about it this time last week so there was, in effect, for all practical purposes, no flaw.
speedbird2639

Postby cg_341 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:49 am

Already fixed on Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services, I think a patch was rolled out for Linux kernel last night and I'd imagine the update that popped up last night on currently supported Windows OSes is their emergency patch. Apple supposedly patched it some time ago, but there's varying agreement over whether they really did it or just said they did after the fact!

As for phones and tablets, very few of them run Intel CPUs so the vulnerability there is somewhat limited. iOS obviously doesn't run on an Intel CPU, and it's only a third-part Android built that'll run on them, consumer phones don't.

So, all told, not a major issue at all, but it got the media excited for a few hours! :lmao:
cg_341

Postby Berf on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 1:36 pm

Major or not, worse or not than others the business, banking and government worlds increasingly expect us to store or use systems that deal with our personal data and money within systems that have flaws exploitable by others or that others can have access to.
Berf

Postby cg_341 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 1:56 pm

Bit like paper, that can be destroyed if it's too hot, too cold, too wet or too dry. Or perhaps stolen, or lost, or a filing cabinet might fall over and all your paperwork split up and mixed with other peoples'?
cg_341

Postby AlexC on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 8:46 pm

cg_341 wrote:Bit like paper, that can be destroyed if it's too hot, too cold, too wet or too dry. Or perhaps stolen, or lost, or a filing cabinet might fall over and all your paperwork split up and mixed with other peoples'?

All true, but have to say nothing like that ever happened to me, perhaps I was just lucky?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Berf on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 9:05 pm

cg_341 wrote:Bit like paper, that can be destroyed if it's too hot, too cold, too wet or too dry. Or perhaps stolen, or lost, or a filing cabinet might fall over and all your paperwork split up and mixed with other peoples'?

Maybe so but not as easily accessible to anyone in the world with a much time as they need to do with it what they will. But some are happy with the risk or choose to ignore it so good luck to them and some others don't have a choice.
Berf

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 5:37 pm

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experienc ... 6cc66f.png

Not much to add really.............its as close to legal theft as you can get
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby wv383 on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 6:13 pm

So even though he resigned he still gets that much in salary until this October. Normally when you resign your salary stops. Obviously not in his case!
wv383

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:52 pm

There are two worlds.

The world of normal people where resignation means leaving your job and, at the same time, having your pay and related package stopped.

And the world of "the elite" where resignation means leaving your job but being paid the full package for another 12 months.

Of course, the "normal people" formally employed by Carillion will have not resigned but their employer no longer exists so they get nothing but a massive hole in their pension plan.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Previous

Return to Off Topic