The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby AlexC on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 9:28 am

I don't 'do' twitter, facebook yes, but then not too often.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby cg_341 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 9:36 am

Should you have to what, look at social media for updates? If that's what the organisation in question wants you to do then yes, yes you should.

According to Smart Insights, there are 4.021 billion internet users, of which 3.196 billion use some form of social media. 79.48% of internet users also use social media. That's a hell of a large audience if you put that in to terms of a single organisation then it's (probably) free, quick, easy marketing to drive traffic to your service. Noting that websites aren't services, websites are simply a way of advertising your service, just as social media is.

Another stat - 90% (NINETY PERCENT!!!!) of Western Europe's population have internet access, but that doesn't mean they want to look at your website. You can spend lots of money developing a flashy website with loads of information, but if the people you want to reach are those that sit and refresh Facebook again and again whilst sat in front of the TV, then why waste money?

Social media is growing by ~13% a year worldwide, ~5% a year in the UK. Pushing your content on your website is going to reach and ever-smaller audience, so trying to direct those that are still trying to hold on to "everything needs to be on the website first" mentality to social media - to me - makes complete and utter sense.

If you don't want to "do social media" then that's fine, that's your prerogative. But don't complain that you're seeing yourself increasing disconnected from what is going on in the world.
cg_341

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:31 am

Statistics show that 101% of statistics are either made-up or creatively interpreted to skew reports/show what those who commissioned them want them to. :wink:
90% (NINETY PERCENT!!!!) of Western Europe's population have internet access
.....yeah, right, if anyone believes that, I've got a bridge I can sell them cheap! :lol:
They may have the ability to access the internet ( as in, it's available in their area ) but that doesn't equate to them actually doing so.
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby cg_341 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:35 am

But that's exactly the point, if you want someone to see something, you put it on a platform they're most likely to access and ensure that your resources focus on those platforms.

If Great-Uncle Bulgaria suddenly decided he wanted to go on the internet, there's a damn good chance that Shansi is going to show him how to use Facebook, Twitter, or some other paltform (whatever it may that wombles use nowadays) rather than giving him a great long list of websites and going "look at all of these individually, that'll be a great use of your 30 minutes of free library internet!"
cg_341

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:01 am

Conversely, there are plenty of people out there who use the internet as a tool - buying goods/services on-line, etc. - who have no interest in bothering with social media even when they are shown how to use it.
If you're trying to sell something, ignoring a section of your potential customers isn't good business sense.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby vandal on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:17 pm

cg_341 wrote:You can look at Facebook without being a member, you know?

Every time I'm led to the facebook page there's a massive prompt across the screen blocking any content.

If there's a way to actually view the page without being told to create an account or log in, please enlighten me. :smile:

With regard to the billions of users of Social Media, how many do you reckon had to create an account just to view a page, without actually wanting to be involved in the whole Social Media aspect of the Internet? How many have a page where they show what they had for breakfast, how busy their commute was etc as opposed to those who just want to find out what should be on someone's website in the first place? The whole thing makes no sense. Log in to our Social Media to get updates, log in to our website to buy your tickets.
vandal

Postby vandal on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:40 pm

cg_341 wrote:But that's exactly the point, if you want someone to see something, you put it on a platform they're most likely to access and ensure that your resources focus on those platforms.

The platform I tend to access is their Website. Once I'm there why should I then have to access their Social Media?

The answer to that is if I want to, not because I'm forced to.
vandal

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:42 pm

:up:
You can sort-of minimise the farcebook pop-up, but as you've no doubt noticed it's still pretty intrusive.
Not as bad as Twit, though, which - from my experience - actively stops you browsing or even scrolling down the page you're on if you aren't registered/logged-on.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby vandal on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:44 pm

Brevet Cable wrote::up:
You can sort-of minimise the farcebook pop-up, but as you've no doubt noticed it's still pretty intrusive.

Any time I attempt to click on a 'read more' I'm led to the create an account / log in page.
vandal

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 1:17 pm

Just tried it, you're quite right...you can scroll down but can't read any of the comments which aren't displayed on the main page.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Beefy on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 1:20 pm

cg_341 wrote:If you don't want to "do social media" then that's fine, that's your prerogative. But don't complain that you're seeing yourself increasing disconnected from what is going on in the world.

Yep, I am perfectly happy becoming increasingly disconnected from the World :up:

I've been there and 'done' facebook, twitter etc. When supposed "friends" want to talk to you on social media but blank you face-to-face in the street, then it can all go and swivel :butt: Just another example of its negative impact on society.

By the way - you also have to pay facebook to advertise to reach your "target" audience, it is not free, as you imply - how do you think Zuckerburg got so rich :wall:

Brevet Cable wrote:Statistics show that 101% of statistics are either made-up or creatively interpreted to skew reports/show what those who commissioned them want them to. :wink:
90% (NINETY PERCENT!!!!) of Western Europe's population have internet access
.....yeah, right, if anyone believes that, I've got a bridge I can sell them cheap! :lol:
They may have the ability to access the internet ( as in, it's available in their area ) but that doesn't equate to them actually doing so.

Spot on :up: How else did the government come up with the "Lowest unemployment in 40 years" figure just recently. ALL stats are manipulated to show what they want to be shown. If you believe otherwise, you are simply deluding yourself (same as believing anything you see on the BBC news) but there are millions of you out there who are happy to do so :facepalm:
Beefy

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 1:27 pm

And another one for the angry thread....Chinese electronics!
My sister bought a cheap dash-cam for her car earlier this year.
So far, it's blown the ( 15A ) cigarette lighter fuse 4 times over the course of the last month.
Last week I took the simple solution I replaced the supplied 'all-in-one' power cable with one of my spare USB cables & a USB adaptor, which seems to have cured the problem.
Opening up the supplied power-adaptor ( which was shorting-out ) I found that the fuse in it was 2A....and 250V !! :shock:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 1:36 pm

Beefy wrote:When supposed "friends" want to talk to you on social media but blank you face-to-face in the street

People still talk....using their mouths to form actual words.....I'm shocked !! :lol: ( I can't be the only one who's seen groups of people standing next to each other texting each other, or a person sitting at their work-station sending an E-mail to another person sitting less than 6' away? )

How else did the government come up with the "Lowest unemployment in 40 years" figure just recently

Same as they've done since the 70s ( and possibly before that )....weasle-wording -- "Out of work & receiving benefits", so they don't count those who don't get any benefits, or those on various 'work experience' schemes, or - as the big con in the late '70s/early '80s was, those who were unemployed & advised to go on the long-term sick or claim disability benefits.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby cg_341 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 2:44 pm

Beefy wrote:By the way - you also have to pay facebook to advertise to reach your "target" audience, it is not free, as you imply - how do you think Zuckerburg got so rich :wall:

I know that you can pay for extended reach...but my point is that you don't have to do it.

Beefy wrote:If you believe otherwise, you are simply deluding yourself (same as believing anything you see on the BBC news) but there are millions of you out there who are happy to do so :facepalm:

I'd like to think that I know more about the systems I have to use on a day today basis than what I "saw on BBC news"...

Put another way, social media can be used much like RSS feeds used to be, for aggregating content. Simply sign up for Facebook or Twitter, lock your account down so none of your "friends" can find you, then follow the pages, brands and businesses that interest you.
cg_341

Postby vandal on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 3:01 pm

cg_341 wrote:
Put another way, social media can be used much like RSS feeds used to be, for aggregating content. Simply sign up for Facebook or Twitter, lock your account down so none of your "friends" can find you, then follow the pages, brands and businesses that interest you.

Why though, when you used to be able to just go to a website and do just that without having to create an account, unless you were buying something.

Is there a possibility that Social Media sites etc can sell on your information to third parties / advertisers?
vandal

Postby cg_341 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 3:17 pm

You can't go to one website and without having to log in, aggregate content - that's the whole point of aggregating content, pulling it from multiple sources!

My dad has a Twitter account, its account is a random string of letters and numbers, he has no photo, no name and no bio. He uses it so he can follow police and Highways England accounts for traffic updates, the local council, news media and aviation accounts. that way he doesn't need to spend 30/40 minutes going through loads of websites to get their latest updates, he can see them all in one place and he can have push notifications for the accounts that are really important for him.

He doesn't speak to anyone on it, at all, he just uses it to listen.

Is there a possibility that social media sites, etc. can see your information? Yes but in theory it shouldn't contain personal information such as your name. Is there a possibility that Google, Microsoft, etc. do that with their search data? Yes, they absolutely do. What about Google, Apple, Samsung, etc. who track your usage and location using your phone? They sell that on too!

What's to say that UKAR don't take their member database, ship it outside of the EU, and then sell your email address and password to every Nigerian price going? (Other than the fact they don't, obviously!)
cg_341

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 3:21 pm

cg_341 wrote:Put another way, social media can be used much like RSS feeds used to be, for aggregating content.

That would be RSS feeds which most people never bothered with.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby vandal on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 3:30 pm

cg_341 wrote:You can't go to one website and without having to log in, aggregate content - that's the whole point of aggregating content, pulling it from multiple sources!

My dad has a Twitter account, its account is a random string of letters and numbers, he has no photo, no name and no bio. He uses it so he can follow police and Highways England accounts for traffic updates, the local council, news media and aviation accounts. that way he doesn't need to spend 30/40 minutes going through loads of websites to get their latest updates, he can see them all in one place and he can have push notifications for the accounts that are really important for him.

Is there a possibility that social media sites, etc. can see your information? Yes but in theory it shouldn't contain personal information such as your name. Is there a possibility that Google, Microsoft, etc. do that with their search data? Yes, they absolutely do. What about Google, Apple, Samsung, etc. who track your usage and location using your phone? They sell that on too!

What's to say that UKAR don't take their member database, ship it outside of the EU, and then sell your email address and password to every Nigerian price going? (Other than the fact they don't, obviously!)

My issue is not with Social Media directly, but websites directing you to their social Media. With Microsoft etc, I've turned off everything that can use my location. My inbox has never been emptier. :grin:
vandal

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 3:33 pm

cg_341 wrote:You can't go to one website and without having to log in, aggregate content - that's the whole point of aggregating content, pulling it from multiple sources!

That's all very well, but the vast majority of people don't use social media in such a benign way. You can't have a false name on Facebook for example as it's against their terms of service.

The main worry about social media for most people seems to be data security, but it really shouldn't be. The most worrying thing should be the profound neurological changes that using social media brings about. It is simply changing the brains of our children and young people. One former Facebook exec stated that he'd rather his children smoked than used the platform.

The evidence of increased mental health problems being strongly connected to social media use is mounting and, in my view, it is irresponsible for any corperation, institution or service to encourage it's use.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 4:07 pm

Paul_Reflex wrote:That's all very well, but the vast majority of people don't use social media in such a benign way. You can't have a false name on Facebook for example as it's against their terms of service.

I'll have to tell one of my friends that, given that he's got at least 4 facebook accounts, none of which are in his own name :lol:

The evidence of increased mental health problems being strongly connected to social media use is mounting and, in my view, it is irresponsible for any corporation, institution or service to encourage it's use.

:up: Like on-line gaming, it can be an addiction ( I've seen features in the media referring to it as 'FAD' - Facebook Addiction Disorder )
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 7:20 am

Brevet Cable wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:That's all very well, but the vast majority of people don't use social media in such a benign way. You can't have a false name on Facebook for example as it's against their terms of service.

I'll have to tell one of my friends that, given that he's got at least 4 facebook accounts, none of which are in his own name :lol:

The evidence of increased mental health problems being strongly connected to social media use is mounting and, in my view, it is irresponsible for any corporation, institution or service to encourage it's use.

:up: Like on-line gaming, it can be an addiction ( I've seen features in the media referring to it as 'FAD' - Facebook Addiction Disorder )

It's also against their rules to have a FB account if you're under 13, but trust me, that one is flouted with ease and regularly.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby vandal on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 8:37 am

Brevet Cable wrote:People still talk....using their mouths to form actual words.....I'm shocked !! :lol:

The conversation usually goes - Person 1 - "Oh, Hi, how you doing?"
Person 2 - "Not too bad thanks. You?"
Person 1 - "In a bit of a hurry, just off to get a pint of milk then off to ...."
Person 2 - "Yeah, me too. Good to see you again, I'll text you when I get home."
vandal

Postby cg_341 on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 8:46 am

You really need some better friends if that's how your conversations go :whistle:
cg_341

Postby Victor 23 on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 8:51 am

Morning All

Well it's that time of the year again, A Level time headlines in paper A Level results, it's the same year after year, screaming kids etc, exams have been taken for years A levels O levels yet it's shoved down our throats. What about the underachievers does not do much for their self-esteem.
Victor 23

Postby vandal on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 9:19 am

cg_341 wrote:You really need some better friends if that's how your conversations go :whistle:

I'm still at that stage where people who see me cross the street. :grin:
vandal

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic