The UKAR Gaming Thread

The UKAR Gaming Thread

Postby Tommy on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 8:47 pm

What with E3 currently underway, there probably isn't a better time to start this kind of thread.

In short, what are UKARians playing at the moment, and indeed, what are people looking forward to?

I'm so all about Fallout 4! :drool:

Also, MGSV trailer looks pretty cool. Always quite liked that series.

P.S. let's not turn this into a "Xbox v PS4 argument whilst PC gamers be magnanimous" kind of fanboy threads, please. :hide:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: The UKAR Gaming Thread

Postby Russ on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:02 pm

Pre-ordered. This is actual PS4 gameplay footage...

And I'm spent! :cool: :joystick: :icecream:
Russ

Postby Typhoon15 on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:06 pm

Personally I'm looking Forward to Halo 5:Guardians - its all about the campaign story for me.

https://youtu.be/TkBDD_i8N3w
Typhoon15

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:20 pm

While I played it a couple of years ago, I picked up GTA V again for PS4 and remembered how great that game is. love it.

Otherwise I mostly play Digital Combat Simulator, Rise of Flight and grand strategy games like Crusader Kings 2 and Victoria 2 on PC these days. However, I will recommend Valiant Hearts, side scrolling games aren't usually my cup of tea but it has a powerful and emotional story which really makes the game for me.

I can't wait for Fallout 4, in fact I pre ordered it today. Played the hell out of 3 and NV!

Goddamn, I said I wasn't going to get Battlefront 3 but that gameplay footage is making it very difficult
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby KyleG on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:38 pm

I might have to upgrade to a PS4 just to get Star Wars Battlefront :drool: :drool:
Canon EOS 50D/1100D
KyleG

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 9:45 pm

Now this game is one I'm also very much looking forward to. Just Cause 2 is easily one of the most fun games I've ever played. it looks like they listend to their audience and did exactly what they wanted, which was simply to update and improve Just Cause 2 and not make any radical changes to the game.

Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby timuss on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 12:24 pm

Star Wars Battlefront looks amazing can't wait for that :cool: :drool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Glosterbloke on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:23 pm

At the moment Beta testing World of warships (much fun) and getting to grips with Kerbal space program ( crashing into the Mun is the same as a landing right?).
Glosterbloke

Postby Wissam24 on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 7:31 pm

Glosterbloke wrote:At the moment Beta testing World of warships (much fun) and getting to grips with Kerbal space program ( crashing into the Mun is the same as a landing right?).

You've already learnt the basic tenets of KSP. There is no main distinction between landing and crashing.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby boff180 on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:03 pm

Already have battlefront on pre-order.

Looks brilliant.... Russ I will take you Tie v X any day :smile:
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Russ on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 1:41 pm

boff180 wrote:Looks brilliant.... Russ I will take you Tie v X any day :smile:

:king: :up:
Russ

Postby Vodka on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 3:24 pm

Any Elite flyers. . .? :heyhey:
Vodka

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 3:29 pm

Does 'Oolite' count ??
I know.....sad , aren't I !! :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby DanH on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 4:11 pm

I'm hoping for an announcement about Red Dead Redemption 2 soon. :biggrin:
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 5:06 pm

I'll have the new Batman game for PS4 in my sweaty hands on release day hopefully, if not slightly before, and have pre-ordered SW Battlefront. And Just Cause 3 is a given, loved the previous ones :-)

Currently wasting the occasional hour in the evening on Battlefield Hardline :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 11:41 am

What do people think of MGS V: The Phantom Pain? For me, guaranteed buy. I love MGS in general, both for its outstanding gameplay and bizarre direction choices taken by Kojima. I played Ground Zeroes and loved it.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 10:57 am

Wissam24 wrote:What do people think of MGS V: The Phantom Pain? For me, guaranteed buy. I love MGS in general, both for its outstanding gameplay and bizarre direction choices taken by Kojima. I played Ground Zeroes and loved it.

MGS is one of those game series that I love, but can't for the life of me work out why, though I think I've lost track a bit in recent years, MGS V is definitely on my list.

Currently re-playing through both Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption. Two of, IMO, the finest games ever made in recent times. :joystick: :joystick: :snack:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 11:37 am

RDR has the finest voice acting in any game, in my opinion.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby boff180 on Sun 21 Jun 2015, 2:46 am

There is an RDR2 in production, it is yet to be formally announced :ninja:
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby jon93 on Mon 22 Jun 2015, 7:25 pm

I'm currently playing Project Cars on the PS4 which once you ignore all the bugs currently, is a pretty challenging yet fun racing game. I was also going back through Destiny, until I found out that the Taken King DLC expansion is £40 :shock: that's on top of the £85 I've already spent on the game, I hope extortionate pricing of DLCs doesn't catch on and that the majority of Destiny fans don't pay for it, me personally I'm trading my copy in. For those interested here's an interview with a guy from Bungie, the only comparison I can think of to this interview is the Xbox "deal with it" saga. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -price-tag
jon93

Postby DanH on Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:57 pm

Sadly I think that paying for DLC is going to remain the norm for the foreseeable future. The biggest problem people have with it (aside from having to pay for the extra content in the first place) is that the prices are often completely disproportionate to the cost of the original game, like in the Destiny example you gave. The trouble is that even at that price, there are people who will pay it, and the developers know this.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Typhoon15 on Mon 22 Jun 2015, 11:45 pm

Seems Microsoft have had a change of tone recently with 343 Industries, The Team Behind Halo 5 saying that between October and next June, 15 DLC Maps will Ship FREE of Charge on top of the 20 Included with the Game at Launch on October 27th.
Typhoon15

Postby boff180 on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 5:40 am

Paid for DLC has existed in PC Games since they began but in the form of Expansion Packs (that you bought on CD from the shop).

The difference being that old school Expansion Packs were substantial usually including a whole new single player mode or campaign. The original Medal of Honor had two great expansion packs, as did Battlefield 1942.

Now the DLC is the same price as original Expansion Packs but you get much less for your money. Usually a couple of multiplayer maps or a new weapon. That is where the rip off lies, the quality/quantity of the DLC.

That said, there is a GTA 5 expansion on the way which is supposed to be a full new campaign story, just like they did for RDR.

Andy
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 6:38 am

This is bit old school - forgive me - but I bought Links 2001 in, well you can guess when, and bought an expansion pack with it which had more courses on than the actual game.

Also, I can now download hundreds of courses for free from the interweb as they also included a course designer cd when you bought the game. As a result people far cleverer than me have reproduced and given away every course you could think of (and more).

Does anything similar happen in new games? Or is the technology now too advanced to easily allow something similar to happen?

I'll confess I know nothing of the games you speak of by the way, I'm afraid my gaming is limited to 15 year old golf games and football manager 2010 ;-)
Chris
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Postby boff180 on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 7:02 am

There are some free Mods still out there but many now want you to pay for the privilege.

I used to be part of the Dev Team for an Unreal Tournament Mod called "The Third Reich" that was free but never really took off as Dev took so long (we accurately modelled bullet ballistics, one of the first games of any kind to do so) we got caught by the release of UT 2003, soon after a rival mod was launched on that platform called "Red October".... that took off and is now a pay for stand alone game on Steam.

You still get maps being released for free for the Counter Strike series but I've heard the latest incarnation hasn't taken off.

Andy
boff180
UKAR Staff

Next

Return to Off Topic