The UKAR Gaming Thread

Re: The UKAR Gaming Thread

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 10:09 am

Well, if it's still active, it's worth picking up. It was a very solid addition with a good amount of convincing content, and unlike some games *cough* it really was period stuff - no sights, gadgets or anything, just basic, ironsighted M-16s and AK-47s etc. I really enjoyed the Hueys too - they played music like you'd expect! And tanks and infantry can take flamethrowers. It was remarkably well balanced too, both sides were good fun to play. Wow, just talking about it now is bringing a smile to my face, had some great times in this game, BFBC2 in general. I remember one map (in the base game) where I could set myself up and pick anyone off with the semi-auto sniper rifle. I got the better part of 40 kills in one life in one without even moving. But it's a game that really, really rewarded squad play as well.

If I recall you could use the Vietnam weapons in the basegame multiplayer too.

Still one of my favourite trailers

Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby aaron0288 on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 10:36 am

Oh boy. The feelings from watching that trailer.

I absolutely loved BFBC2. Arica Harbour was such an amazing map on rush! When they announced they were doing a Vietnam expansion I can't tell you how excited I was. Very rarely to games live up to that excitement, but spawning into a Huey with all your squad mates and blaring "Ride of the Valkeries" out as your squadies were unleashing hell on the ground below is a gaming experience I will never forget.

I was secretly hoping the next BF would be set in Vietnam, but 1 looks fantastic and I can certainly echo what lots of others are saying, in that it looks very much like the more simplistic fun of Bad Company, without all the crazy amounts of weapon mods, but of course that's very much to do with the setting. I really cannot wait, and I hope this is the start of a plan for DICE for the next game to be WW2, then Vietnam and so on. With how amazing BF1 looks and with new consoles on the horizon (at least from Microsoft), I can't wait to see what DICE does with them.
aaron0288

Postby Maverick on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:43 pm

Just wondering if anyone on here has tried the Battlefield 1 Beta yet?

Managed to fire an hour into it tonight on the PS4, and I am very pleased so far! Very enjoyable gameplay, very good visuals etc! Think it has swayed me to pre order it!

Be interesting to hear others thoughts on the game!

Cheers,

Sam
Maverick

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 10:11 pm

I've not looked at Battlefield yet, but the PES 2017 demo on the store at the moment is well worth a look. :love:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby DanH on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 7:14 am

Has anyone played No Man's Sky? I've been umming and ahhing about whether to take the plunge but I'm worried that the game play would get boring after a while.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 1:11 pm

I've not heard good things for the most part but I have heard people say they enjoy it too. However the overwhelming concensus is that it's not worth the price.

A game that does the space exploration mechanic much better is Elite Dangerous where you really do have millions of stars to play with. You have to buy the extension to land on planets though, and only airless rocks at the moment but that should be changed eventually . There's a very exciting story developing in the game at the moment surrounding the Thargoids ...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby iaint on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm

Wissam24 wrote:There's a very exciting story developing in the game at the moment surrounding the Thargoids ...

Let's hope they're not overactive, that could lead to some nasty problems I hear...

I think I might get it in the neck for that one!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast
iaint
UKAR Staff

Postby Russ on Fri 16 Sep 2016, 1:14 pm

Just seen that "Assassins Creed The Ezio Collection" is being released for PS4 (and the inferior Microsoft console) and "enhanced" on 18.11.16. Brilliant! :yahoo:

See you all next year... :wink:
Russ

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 12:28 pm

PES2017 is absolutely superb. Blows FIFA out of the water, unless you're under the age of 12.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby vandal on Sat 24 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm

Our Son got the Ultimate Edition of Forza Horizon 3 yesterday.

Seems impressed thus far, but he is looking forward to the actual release date, (27th) so he can bounce around Australia in the Bonus downloadable Halo Warthog - Without guns. Anyone with a Halo Masterchief Collection or Halo 5 save should get a code for the Warthog.

Release date is 27th, but for those who paid £79.99 for the Ultimate Edition, they get a 4 day head start, but only with the base game. Bonus content / downloads etc are not being released until 27th, so no one has a real advantage, other than getting to play 4 days early.
vandal

Postby vandal on Sat 24 Sep 2016, 8:22 pm

Private Custard wrote:Have you tried totally uninstalling your driver before re-installing the most current one? I always go for clean installs. Although to be fair, AC games have always had odd performance issues. Black Flag had dreadful slowdown when ship battles got some smoke effects floating around.

On 360, I had a problem with one of the Creeds - Can't remember if it was AC2, or Brotherhood, it was the one where he was helping someone defend a Castle or suchlike from an attack. I was a few hours in and the game froze - I booted it up again, and my save file was gone so I played to the same point and the same thing happened. It just would not let me create a save file.
vandal

Postby DanH on Sat 24 Sep 2016, 10:12 pm

I bought myself a second hand copy of Alien Isolation a couple of days ago and I must say it's one of the most genuinely tense and frightening games that I've ever played.

It isn't a shooting game - you do get a gun but you are by no means encouraged to use it as the noise would likely attract the attention of the alien who will pounce on you from an air vent and dispense with you before you even know what's happening. It's more about stealth, finding a spot to hide and waiting until the danger has passed before you move on. But those moments when you are hiding in a locker or under a table are so unbelievably tense, what with the brilliant music, the characteristic beeping from the motion tracking device and the fact that you have to press a button to hold your breath if the alien is nearby so that it doesn't hear you, but you can't hold it forever.

If you're into that kind of game then I would certainly recommend it, especially if you can pick it up cheaply as I did. I'd also suggest hooking your console up to a home cinema system as I have in order to get the full benefit of the audio effects. Also bring spare pants.
DanH

Postby Tommy on Sat 24 Sep 2016, 11:12 pm

Russ wrote:Just seen that "Assassins Creed The Ezio Collection" is being released for PS4 (and the inferior Microsoft console) and "enhanced" on 18.11.16. Brilliant! :yahoo:

See you all next year... :wink:

I've completely lost track of Assassins Creed these days. I think Black Flag was the last I ended up playing, which was fun, if a bit samey after a while.

Nothing comes close to the halcyon days of Ezio, though, so I might have to look at that collection - but I'm in two minds about paying upwards of £30/40 for "enhanced" games I already own on previous consoles, which is a major bugbear I have about modern gaming - lack of backwards compatibility. Makes completely no sense to me.

My old PS1 still works. I managed to rescue it a few weeks ago and spent an absolutely great couple of evenings playing Oddword: Abe's Oddysee and a classic version of Worms about a week ago. :joystick: :joystick:

I haven't kept up with gaming news at the moment, so I'm probably wrong, but it feels to me like there's really little to get excited about at the moment. All the "big" titles are just re-hashing themselves once a year, or adding continuous DLC content to existing games, and other than whispers here and there, there doesn't seem to be anything coming out anytime soon to get really excited about.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 7:26 pm

Rockstar have sent the gaming world into a bit of a frenzy with new Red Dead rumours, in particular this beautiful (and another) tweet presented without any comment.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby DanH on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 8:14 pm

Tommy wrote:Rockstar have sent the gaming world into a bit of a frenzy with new Red Dead rumours, in particular this beautiful (and another) tweet presented without any comment.

Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games I have ever played, I'm getting a bit excited right now! :drool:
DanH

Postby DanH on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 1:39 pm

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/

I'm making really weird noises of delight!
DanH

Postby Aviationcafe on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm

DanH wrote:I bought myself a second hand copy of Alien Isolation a couple of days ago and I must say it's one of the most genuinely tense and frightening games that I've ever played.

It isn't a shooting game - you do get a gun but you are by no means encouraged to use it as the noise would likely attract the attention of the alien who will pounce on you from an air vent and dispense with you before you even know what's happening. It's more about stealth, finding a spot to hide and waiting until the danger has passed before you move on. But those moments when you are hiding in a locker or under a table are so unbelievably tense, what with the brilliant music, the characteristic beeping from the motion tracking device and the fact that you have to press a button to hold your breath if the alien is nearby so that it doesn't hear you, but you can't hold it forever.

If you're into that kind of game then I would certainly recommend it, especially if you can pick it up cheaply as I did. I'd also suggest hooking your console up to a home cinema system as I have in order to get the full benefit of the audio effects. Also bring spare pants.

I think with this game, multiple sets of spare pants are needed!

Can remember when it first came out & playing as Ripley via the crew expendable DLC, that first moment you encounter it surely makes your heart rate jump sky high, saying that I still haven't "Finished" the game on Steam, but I have also just purchased it via "Cex" for the xbox 360, and can honestly say after so long of not playing the game within the first 10 minutes of crew expendable once again that bloomin Xenomorph had made me jump numerous times :lmao: :mad: :wall:
Aviationcafe

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:16 am

DanH wrote:I bought myself a second hand copy of Alien Isolation a couple of days ago and I must say it's one of the most genuinely tense and frightening games that I've ever played.

I couldn't finish it. I'll put my hands up and say it was too scary to finish. The last memory I have of it is spending about one hour hiding in a locker, forty minutes slowly making my way to a locker in another room, 20 minutes listening to see if it was quiet, then slowly going away to get to the objective, the alien screams, I run into a locker terrified and but then it got me. My housemate kept telling me to stop screaming.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 3:36 pm

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby timuss on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm

Got my copy of Battlefield 1 today great fun really enjoying it so far, the weapons take a lot of getting used to though.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby 138EAW on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:50 pm

Nintendo have unveiled their new console the 'Switch' looks gimmicky :snack: can imagine lots of issues http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37713938

Bought Mafia III, good game but very repetitive. Can be annoying how many times the police are called on you. Lost count of the times I've been reported for forgetting to holster weapons :grin:
Gary

RAF Tornados left in service =39
GR4 =32, GR4A =1, GR4(T) =6

Fighter Control Administrator
138EAW

Postby boff180 on Fri 21 Oct 2016, 7:54 am

I can see the benefit of the Switch for someone who travels a lot.... keep the docking station at home but you can play wherever you like quite easily.
I also like you can multiplayer without extra controllers.

The cost however is expected to be around £300.... that's PS4 Pro/Xbox 1S money!
It needs to be powerful to be successful.
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Ryan. on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 12:03 pm

Been playing round with Battlefield 1, does make the mistake of thinking that actual people's story's from World War One aren't quite good enough and so slaps on the Hollywood too much. And it's historical accurency has to be taken with a very large pinch of salt. :grin:
Ryan.

Postby Private Custard on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 10:34 am

When I was building my latest PC, I got Watch Dogs 2 for free with my GTX 1070. It's an utter mess!

I really enjoyed the first one, despite its failings. This one however, is just awful. The UI is cluttered and clunky, the way missions are handed out is overly confusing and totally unintuitive, the random jumps into multiplayer, when another player suddenly starts hacking you, are jarring and intrusive. Overall, a really shoddy experience.

Poor show UbiSoft, poor show.
Private Custard

Postby Flare Path on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 2:12 pm

Private Custard wrote:When I was building my latest PC, I got Watch Dogs 2 for free with my GTX 1070. It's an utter mess!

I really enjoyed the first one, despite its failings. This one however, is just awful. The UI is cluttered and clunky, the way missions are handed out is overly confusing and totally unintuitive, the random jumps into multiplayer, when another player suddenly starts hacking you, are jarring and intrusive. Overall, a really shoddy experience.

Poor show UbiSoft, poor show.

Yep. Enjoyed the first one, but hated WD2 for different reasons - hipster garbage. Shame, but that's what the fan base wanted.
Flare Path

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic